Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby BG07 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Sentios wrote:
Riz wrote:Stuff and I had a blast. she was the first girl from the internet I'd met up with and yet my boobs STILL got grabbed.

This is exactly like my anime.

But I don't meet people, I barely leave my house and I certainly don't go to bars. But if anyone comes to my part of Ohio (don't come to Ohio, there's nothing to see here) we can go out fishing or something.

And now this discussing is reminding me of that old RP forum meet up we could never get worked out.

Ohio is just me and Sentios standing in a field with a handful of amish people... not much going on here

Postby BobSagat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm a little late to the party because I was busy with life, but can you please just take out the obnoxious gold color? Make it a color that doesn't completely clash with the site scheme, that's all I ask.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Riz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:31 pm

we're in the process of changing the site scheme, actually.
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Hiryu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Embrace change, my friends! But don't expect a complete overhaul.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Dorian wrote:BeeAre,

It's not that I don't care at all. Like I said, I've been around this forum a long time so I have some affinity for it, but ultimately I think you guys are free to do as you please. I'm not going to get genuinely angry or upset as long as the choices you're making are, in your opinion, in the best interest of the forum. I find the discussion interesting either way.

I respect this.

Also I'm sorry I implied that your becoming an admin was stupid. Clearly I don't really know you very well and my opinions were based on relatively brief interactions or impressions from other posts.

Thanks! I'm sorry if anything I said could have been interpreted as insulting to you, too (some of it, yeah, definitely could). You're fairly solid, using as evidence this minor argument becoming a much more substantial and polite discussion. :)

Regarding RP vs Spam? I honestly don't know much about that. I don't really consider myself a part of RP so much as just a part of this forum. I may be technically most active here but I posted pretty much everywhere if something interested me. My dislike for Spam was personal and not out of some strange gang-related grudge or turf war or something.

Understood.

I'm not a fan of "randomness". That's not funny to me. And that's kind of what Spam lived off of.

Now see, I AGREE with you on not liking "randomness". However, I believe Spam's spontaneity to not necessarily be a breach into randomness, but more like "improvised role play" in any given thread.

I think whatever happened between the subsections came about because both had very different ideas of how to waste their time. RP wants to play pretend, which some people find stupid. Spam wants to spout nonsense or not be constrained by single topics, which some people find stupid. In the end it's kind of a silly thing to get worked up about either way.

Completely agreed again. :)

If everyone on both ends wants to bury that hatchet then that's cool. However Spam's sense of humor will probably always be pretty different from my own so I can't say I'll ever really "like" it.

And that's fine. If you do ever want to try it, though, I would recommend it. You'd just have to keep in mind that the threads are, by and large, not outright RANDOM, but more like tweets on Twitter--short ideas that spring into big ideas. I think the comparison is apt. Spam is the "Texting-minded" forum.

As far as becoming a mod again, well it's pretty much like Jay said, I don't feel I'm around enough to warrant the position anymore, even if I do care about forum issues or changes. I stepped down because I was pretty vocal in saying inactive people shouldn't keep mod status so when I considered my attendance sparse enough to be 'inactive' then it would have been hypocritical to keep it.

I understand and respect this, and will leave you alone on this matter henceforth.

I mean, if you honestly think the forum would benefit from having me as a mod again even if I only really pop in once a month or so (this activity these past few days has been an exception) then I suppose I wouldn't mind having the position back. I just couldn't really promise that I'd be around to take care of reports or ban bots or whatever.

Also Grey is pretty cool even if he has bad taste in music.

See, now, this is what I want out of the Gold Forum: a platform for veterans, like you, to be able to address issues to the forum without bearing the responsibility as a mod to enforce those policy decisions. An impromptu senate, of sorts, that lets you bring up topical information for the betterment of the forums.

Valhallen has already made the most significant idea on this idea, and said that the system should have more than one tier, and be treated not as an elitism clique caste stratification, but as a reward system for participating in the community.

Here, in my head, is a brief go-over of how I would like the system to work with those multi-tiers

Newbies join, and if they stay for a month or two, they are auto-upgraded to a "bronze" tier, and can now MAKE their own threads, having proven that they like the forums enough to want to provide content.

Then, they stick around longer, and offer to help newbies, and are generally being great, so they get again, automatically tuned up to a "silver" tier, where they can manage more forum privileges. The forum right now has no "attachment" permissions, and that could be one of the things that trusted members earn: the ability to upload into the forum's database, pictures and documents.

Finally, they would have to, by reading the rules for the system, go into their user control panel and privately apply for Gold Membership.

In the Gold forum, veterans would be able to discuss the forums and have a direct connection to the moderators so that they have a way to let the moderators know of an issue or innovation they'd prefer.

And they'd get the privilege to embed flash files, which is quite neat, I think.

That way, the forum has incentive for newbies to want to gain bonuses in the forum by adhering to its principles, and the community has a sense of upward progression.

Gold Card Members would be strictly and explicitly told that it is their job to help newbies and lower-tiered people to get to the Gold level, and we would have a very strict policy on using Gold privileges, so that any abuse would be quickly stamped out, and if they abused it, like, more than two times, they'd immediately lose Gold Membership and drop down straight back to non-tiered, as punishment. Then they'd have to reprove and work their way back up.

We're not trying to be dividing, we're trying to make a system that encourages the growth of the community.

Does that sound more reasonable?
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Hiryu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:14 pm

I got a question for you RPers. I know at least some of you either larp or dress up in costumes, so do you have any idea where I can get a Castlevania related outfit for Halloween? I'd prefer Richter Belmont or Dracula.

BeeAre wrote:Newbies join, and if they stay for a month or two, they are auto-upgraded to a "bronze" tier, and can now MAKE their own threads, having proven that they like the forums enough to want to provide content.
I'm sorry, bro. This sounds like a horrible idea, but all the rest you said seemed fine.
If you take away a newbie's power to make threads right after they join, you're already taking away part of the fun of joining a forum. Sure, the threads they make can be crap but it's a price we gotta pay.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Fievel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 pm

I'd have to agree with Hiryu on that one. Wouldn't that also mean they couldn't make welcome threads?
Offended.

Postby Morpheus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:03 pm

It would also be staggering to Art and literature.
And I suppose they could introduce themselves in a single thread but it wouldn't be as personal.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Give them a thread cap?

I don't know if that's possible though.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mathias » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 am

Hiryu wrote:I'm sorry, bro. This sounds like a horrible idea, but all the rest you said seemed fine.
If you take away a newbie's power to make threads right after they join, you're already taking away part of the fun of joining a forum. Sure, the threads they make can be crap but it's a price we gotta pay.

But it would deter some of those n00bs who only post threads to ask what happened to Zim or where Bleedman is.

Postby Hiryu » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 am

Again, it's a small price we have to pay.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Fievel » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:07 am

I don't feel it's right to restrict newcomers just because some of them are going to be stupid. The ones that would make a thread asking those questions would probably just ask in other threads. It's happened before.
Offended.

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:36 am

BeeAre wrote:We're not trying to be dividing, we're trying to make a system that encourages the growth of the community.

Does that sound more reasonable?

Yes, I understand how you intend it to work but I'm just not certain it'll work out like that.

Everyone on the forum should be able to voice their opinions about the state and growth of the forum. I realize you're not saying they can't, but rather you want to give veterans a direct link to mods and such, but everyone already has that link. The mods are not isolated in a sphere where no one can approach them. They're just posters like everyone else. Posting in the same threads as everyone else. I think it would work better if there were just one stickied thread titled something like "Forum change suggestions" and allow everyone to post in it. If a good idea is brought up or discussed then it would be up to the mods/admins to determine whether or not it should be allowed.

I just don't really see a need for a whole other group. I mean it already seems like almost every person who has been around the forum for longer than a year is in the Gold status. It runs the risk of too many voices trying to have their say in the decision making. I don't think the forum is large enough to where the mods and admins need assistance in making decisions.

You also run the risk of alienating newer people. You may see it as incentive to be a contributing member of the community but I feel it could just as easily be a deterrent. A guy might not make a post because he's too intimidated by being new and not being one of the gold members or whatever.

The incentive for sticking around on the forum should be because you like the community. As we are now we're so insular that it's probably intimidating to outsiders. I'll reiterate what I said before, but if we want to attract newer posters, then the most active forum can't be called "Spam". It can't be a whole section of smart people pretending to be stupid people pretending to be smart people. It's very similar to the FYAD subforum on SomethingAwful. It's a bunch of people essentially playing a "role" with a lot of in-jokes and ironic humor. It's not really reflective of people's actual personalities and interests.

Basically what I'm saying is if we want to rebuild the community we have to make the forum a forum again and not just a group hangout for established friends.
Never asked for this

Postby BobSagat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:09 am

Riz wrote:we're in the process of changing the site scheme, actually.

Why the fuck would you do that.

Seriously, this is probably one of the most appealing forum layouts that I've seen on my long tenure on the internet.

Maybe take off the comics or whatever because I couldn't give less of a shit, but don't fuck with the colors or anything.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Sentios » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:02 am

Going to echo the above, I don't think disallowing people from posting threads is a good idea, if you absolutely insist you could require them to have a small minimum number of posts (which might help with bots as well) but otherwise it's just a bad idea to disallow functions which are core to the activity of a forum.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Riz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:57 am

BobSagat wrote:

Seriously, this is probably one of the most appealing forum layouts that I've seen on my long tenure on the internet.

Maybe take off the comics or whatever because I couldn't give less of a shit, but don't fuck with the colors or anything.

it's kinda already been decided, sorry.

Postby Jay » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:00 am

You say it like things can't be undecided.

It's not like a large bureaucracy here or something. Backtracking on the dime's not exactly logistically difficult.

Any difficulty would have to be emotional.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Morpheus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:34 am

It's been suggested before that we could use interchangeable schemes.
But I don't think it's going to happen.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:36 am

I'm beginning to sense a problem.

Seems that Spam has a slightly more direct hand in things that are changing here.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Morpheus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:12 am

It's not that spam has a direct hand but that most of the Gold members are from spam.
You could apply if you seriously wanted to voice your concerns.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:42 am

Morpheus wrote:It's not that spam has a direct hand but that most of the Gold members are from spam.

That's...not really a good correction. It's like me saying "the government has a lot of "name of town"" in it, and you then saying "No, they just happen to have a lot of members who come from there."
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mathias » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 am

Riz wrote:
BobSagat wrote:

it's kinda already been decided, sorry.

A lot of forums allow a drop-down list of forum skins for each member to choose from. Is this what we'll be doing? I, and obviously others, would like to keep the current scheme, while others could change it to their liking for themselves. It isn't really fair to force a permanent change simply because the majority of the gold members don't like the current scheme. I really don't see why it needs to be changed, anyway.
Last edited by Mathias on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hiryu » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:31 am

But I gotta agree with most people here, I don't see the need to change the colour scheme. It's easy on the eyes and it isn't really bad, some of you just wanna be picky.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Riz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:27 pm

it just happens to be that a strong concentration of people who care about the forum (openly at least) are in spam. we are definitely open to, and in fact welcome, people who frequent other subforums who fit the criteria to have a wider variety of people in our little think-tank.

Postby Geomancer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Riz wrote:it just happens to be that a strong concentration of people who care about the forum (openly at least) are in spam. we are definitely open to, and in fact welcome, people who frequent other subforums who fit the criteria to have a wider variety of people in our little think-tank.

Ha ah ha.
Final Fantasy IX was the best Final Fantasy game ever and if you think otherwise you are WRONG!

My fanfiction account. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.
GMancer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing