Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:05 am

Well this is odd... and I agree with Dorian.. What is going on here?

Postby Mathias » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:15 am

I love how everyone assumes that Spam regulars are worthless. If anything, we are the most regular members here and care more about the forum as a whole rather than one exclusive sub-forum.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 am

Nope, Math. We're the scum of the earth, the worst of the worst and it will always be like that. Because change is an illusion.
The one true pairing of Snafu
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:20 am

Math, I never said anything remotely along the lines of the Spam regulars being worthless. I know they are the most active members on this forum combined. Still what is with this Gold Member thing? It almost seems like an elitist clique. But I could be wrong.

Postby Mathias » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:28 am

I wasn't addressing you. The gold membership is essentially a council of members to discuss concerns about the forum. BeeAre could explain it better.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:40 am

The idea in general is that there's a section where not everyone is allowed, much like the mod forum. Except in this case, you'll get a chance to be part of it.
For now the forum itself is visible, but BR is gonna make it private. When it's like that, people will only have the golden names to guide them. This will make them curious about why this membership exists and how they can be a part of it.
Hopefully this will make newcomers better members in no time, more respectable to each other and veterans, in hopes of becoming a member of the gold section. And that's why it exists.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Warbear » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 am

It's a reason for people to stay. Far too often we've seen a lot of newbies, who could potentially become good, contributing members of the community, make a few posts and then leave, never to be heard from again. The goldcard club is an incentive to stay around and become a contributing member of the community, in the hopes that they too will become the golden children.

Goldcard members will help each other and newbies with their problems around the forum and with their life in general and will become The Pillars Of The Community, thus giving members something to strive for, hopefully increasing our number of tolerable posters.

God dammit I just posted in RP.
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
Veteran of the Bear Wars

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:02 am

That sounds like a nice idea, actually. i have hopes for it then.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 am

@Hiryu and Warbear: Ah, I get it. Much like how seniority is at dA. I guess. And Yes Warbear, you did..

Well good luck with this new gold member thing, it better be worthwhile.

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:38 am

Jay wrote:Also, anyone want that special gold star thing?

I do, because I miss having my name being in a non-default colour. As silly of a reason as it is.

Although, since the gold thing was BeeAre's idea(I believe), if BeeAre has anything against it, then I'd totally understand not getting it.

Dorian wrote:If that's what Dave wants then more power to him and I wish you luck.

Nah I doubt Dave knows BeeAre is primarily a spam regular, or what the state of activity of the individual sub-forums is, or about the gold member thingy.

From what I gather, after 1 hour of lurking, what happpened was:

1) Forum gets flooded with bots

2) BeeAre, Warbear and Soth ask for new member registration to be put on hold, due to busy real life and weak forum registration security, making it impossible for them to clean it up fast enough.

3) BeeAre, Warbear and Soth lobby via a month long e-mail exchange with Dave, for BeeAre to be made Admin, since they feel getting Mods approved through Dave and ninnypants takes too long.

4) BeeAre gets Admin powers and promises to implement some solutions he brainstormed with spam regulars, to increase interest in the forum once the new membership registration gets restored. New comics, some kind of upload mechanism for self-made flash videos etc. And also the gold sub-section or however you call it.

I don't think the forum activity will increase too much, no matter what gets implemented, because I've been to enough Internet forums to know they're basically all declining/dying right now, due to people discussing things via facebook, twitter and wordpress-like blogs mostly. The few that don't, prefer imageboards or irc chats to message boards.

BUT There's nothing wrong with letting people try.

I just hope the Snafu section won't get tinkered with any, for old memories sake.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Warbear » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 am

The most BR's changing in the Snafu section is the title. It's currently an abomination.
Veteran of the Bear Wars

Postby Hiryu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:48 am

Well, Rival... Some of us regulars *cough*me*cough* can golden someone up.
And you're a smart guy that everyone loves, so guess what? Verdict handed, accepted!

Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:51 am

Warbear wrote:The most BR's changing in the Snafu secion is the title. It's currently an abomination.

Kk cool, as long as "Snafu" remains in the name, cool. What I feared most was it getting merged with some other section.
Hiryu wrote:Well, Rival... Some of us regulars *cough*me*cough* can golden someone up.
And you're a smart guy that everyone loves, so guess what? Verdict handed, accepted!

Many thanks.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Warbear » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:53 am

Nope. I'm pretty sure he's just changing it to Snafu General.
Veteran of the Bear Wars

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:56 am

Holy shit, Rival.

Where have you been?
An Optimist

Postby Grey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 am

FEAR ME FOR I AM A GOD
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:09 am

Busy with RL, I still post, but only like 3-5 posts per month.

Finishing my master's degree, and my 78 year old grandma's got cancer and I need to help out, so when I have a little free time I just watch Breaking Bad or the like, rather than post anywhere.

Warbear wrote:Nope. I'm pretty sure he's just changing it to Snafu General.

Cool, thanks for answering my concerns.

EDIT

Grats, Grey.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 am

Ah.

Well, seeing you post brings back fond memories. And we've had a lot of family go through illnesses this year, Rival. I feel for you, bro.
An Optimist

Postby Marquis de Soth » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 am

Rival wrote:From what I gather, after 1 hour of lurking, what happpened was:

You've got the general gist of it.
Marquis de Soth

Postby MQuinny1234 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 am

Well done on getting your masters Rival, that's great. Sorry about your grandma though.

Doc@Yep. Yaaaaay. Although, frankly I'm not envious of you. Art is hard.

I'm hoping I can fall into a routine too...Ah well.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Dorian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:43 am

Warbear wrote:It's a reason for people to stay. Far too often we've seen a lot of newbies, who could potentially become good, contributing members of the community, make a few posts and then leave, never to be heard from again. The goldcard club is an incentive to stay around and become a contributing member of the community, in the hopes that they too will become the golden children.

Goldcard members will help each other and newbies with their problems around the forum and with their life in general and will become The Pillars Of The Community, thus giving members something to strive for, hopefully increasing our number of tolerable posters.

God dammit I just posted in RP.

This is the part I find stupid. Tiered forum memberships are ridiculous and if you stick around on a forum just because you hope that your name will turn gold and shiny then I can't imagine you'd be a person who makes interesting and productive contributions anyway. It just forces the community to become needlessly segregated and promotes clique-like attitudes.

But hey, like I said, I'm not really here much anymore so frankly it's just not that big a deal to me. The only reason I care at all is having been on this forum for like 8 years now and it still holds some nostalgic value.
Never asked for this
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:04 am

Rival wrote:I don't think the forum activity will increase too much, no matter what gets implemented, because I've been to enough Internet forums to know they're basically all declining/dying right now, due to people discussing things via facebook, twitter and wordpress-like blogs mostly. The few that don't, prefer imageboards or irc chats to message boards.

Ugh, tell me about. Hey, WE should have a facebook group! Really kill this place off in a yiffy.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:31 am

MQuinny1234 wrote:Well done on getting your masters Rival, that's great. Sorry about your grandma though.

I don't have my master's yet, my paper needs to be judged favorably by 3 Ph.D(or well the Polish equivalent of it) level academics.

I'll give them the paper between the 23rd September and 6th October and they'll judge it. If one of them judges it unfavorably I'll have until December to tweak it for a last chance review.

I wrote translations and articles for free for a magazine one of the people judging me publishes, so I'm guaranteed 1 favorable opinion, at least.

As for my grandma, the prognosis is good, she had her tumor surgically removed already. It's just a hassle to drive her to the hospital in Łódź every few days.

Postby Ro Wong » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:03 am

Mathias wrote:I love how everyone assumes that Spam regulars are worthless. If anything, we are the most regular members here and care more about the forum as a whole rather than one exclusive sub-forum.

And I love how you generalize Dorian's opinion as a universal concept of everyone outside Spam. It's Dorian. The gold club could've started here or in old Snafu threads, you know he'd still be saying the same thing. He finds most everything stupid.

I think it's a bit too soon for a final decision, really, so I'm just going to wait and see if it can be pulled off properly and help the place out. I'm all for bringing back activity, so I'll be happy to join up after registration's turned back on and it shows some fruit.
Demon of Elru

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 am

Rival wrote:
MQuinny1234 wrote:Well done on getting your masters Rival, that's great. Sorry about your grandma though.

I don't have my master's yet, my paper needs to be judged favorably by 3 Ph.D(or well the Polish equivalent of it) level academics.

I'll give them the paper between the 23rd September and 6th October and they'll judge it. If one of them judges it unfavorably I'll have until December to tweak it for a last chance review.

I wrote translations and articles for free for a magazine one of the people judging me publishes, so I'm guaranteed 1 favorable opinion, at least.

As for my grandma, the prognosis is good, she had her tumor surgically removed already. It's just a hassle to drive her to the hospital in Łódź every few days.

Oh hey Rival, sorry about your grandma. Hope everything goes well for her and you. <3

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing