Temporal Happenstance: Adventures In the Cergroi Throng

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Temporal Happenstance: Adventures In the Cergroi Throng

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:41 am

[////////////INTRODUCTION\\\\\\\\\\\\\\]
A man stood still amidst a rolling fog, his pale flesh shimmering against the darkened horizon behind him. He slowly lifted his arms outward, a long cape cascading upon his sides as his gloved hands arose. Streams of thin white stretched up from his elevating fingertips, mist arcing into the air around his elegant form. His black overcoat was buttoned in two places over his abdomen, a white dress shirt shining nearly as brilliantly as his own milky flesh. The ruffled collar shifted as his head lifted, a wide smile forming upon his thin visage. A pair of thick fangs became quickly prominent between his thin lips.

“Come hither mine young ilk. This, our eve of the howling moon, guides us upon our haunted journey. For here,” he swung to his left with his arm fully extended. He gasped sharply when his unseen legs bumped into one another, sending his entire form falling forward to disappear into the heavy fog. He was silent for several seconds, save for an occasional grunt or groan. “Dammit, someone get me out of this crap!”

“Cut!” A deep voice bellowed before a loud bell rang for three seconds. A loud rumble began to rise as multiple people walked forward into the fog. Two began helping up the pale man that fell while the rest began touching at his attire and pulling out thick pads of powder to apply over his face in areas where his real skin tone was showing. “Harry, really, you gotta stop tripping over yourself here. We’re two”

“Two days behind schedule, I know!” Harry exclaimed as he squinted and frowned at the hands invading his personal space. “Maybe I wouldn’t be stepping on this long-ass cape all the time if I could see my fucking feet!” He loudly replied, glaring to the side at the man standing behind a bulky machine that was rolling a thick mist over the floor.

The director just stroked his hand over his face, then turned to the tech. “Hey, Jack, mind just thinning the fog for this shoot so Harry can see his own feet?” He asked, watching his ‘star’ grin arrogantly, likely forgoing the tone the director had used to instead gloat that he was getting his way, yet again. Jack sighed and rolled his eyes before reaching behind the machine. The old girl began to whir and hum crankily as the fans inside started to wind down much faster than they should have. Soon enough, the fog completely stopped rolling out, leaving only a small flicker of light deep inside the extended vent that protruded from the relic.

Harry grumbled at the sight of the old machine, once again, malfunctioning. He quickly undid the clasps under his cape that kept it fastened to his thick coat. “I swear, do I have to do everything for you, you idiot?!” Harry stomped over to Jack’s fog machine, glaring at the vent pointed toward him. He kneeled down and smacked the side of the vent, causing something small to rattle around inside. He missed the small flicker of light within the vent when Jack started to yell at him. “Oh, shut the fuck up! I wouldn’t have to be doing this if you did your job right…” He barely caught a glimpse of yet another flicker as the soft rattling settled down. “The…hell? I think something fell in…” The actor foolishly reached in, which made Jack nearly jump out of his boots.

“Let me turn the thing off, you fruity psycho!” Jack yelled as he quickly reached down and unplugged the machine.

Harry glared up at the technician, his fingers inside the vent extending out. “Psycho?! Funny, coming from the skinny fuck that was too stupid to know how to give a proper blo…” Harry’s eyes turned as the hairs on the back of his neck started to rise. He felt the air around his hand cool and heard a soft hum, instinctively trying to pull his hand back with the tiny object he’d grasped. It took his impetuous mind a couple of seconds before he realized the fans couldn’t activate with the machine unplugged. He looked down, finally noticing beams of light rising out from between his fingers.

Harry fell over onto his back as he began to cream, his thick helmet falling into the red and black dirt. “SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITT!!” He screamed out, his right hand clutching at his freshly made left stump. His eyes went wide as he looked over toward the smoking hole in the trench where he’d just tried to toss a live grenade. “Fucker blew off my arm!” He exclaimed as he kicked into the dirt, explosions ringing throughout the air as a young medic rushed over, nearly tripping over himself while trying to stay low and avoid stray bullets. He unknowingly kicked at a tiny gem that was laying beside his CO, quickly slamming his aid kit down to open it up.

The gem rolled over the burnt and unsettled dirt before brushing the finger of a dead soldier in burnt and torn fatigues. The twitch of his finger and a slow groan came shortly as he began coming back to life from his momentary excursion from life. He stirred and looked down, seeing the two-foot hole in his chest begin to fill and the visage of a black tuxedo hung over his form for a moment. He could’ve sworn he saw the ground turn white and that there had been a woman in an elegant gown standing over him, but he found himself rather busy dying once more. His hand fell back to the ground, hitting the gem and haphazardly slapping it into the air. It flew easily into the air for a short distance, beginning to come down toward a young man laying in the trench, firing his rifle into the burning forest ahead of his platoon. He stopped upon feeling something hit his helmet and roll down his shoulder. Feeling it had been too small and jagged to be a grenade, he looked down to his right, reaching to the small, dirtied rock without a care…

“A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.”

The year is 2364 by the present solar calendar. The game begins just as the characters: from a humble origin on a day of celebration for the entire world. The characters are all normal. Average people of modest skills, set along a road with a clear and simple path. But something soon arises. A terrible event ignites a journey for salvation and redemption as a group of would-be heroes struggle to uncover the truth of their intervened fates. Who would alter such ordinary lives, and why would they go to such extremes to remain unreachable by their young foes?

=============

~~~~{Setting}~~~~

[Planet]
Tiria: Worldly setting. Very few continents retain any barren regions as advancements in ecological engineering have been tested and perfected so as to introduce adaptive vegetation to otherwise lifeless environments. Urban locations -- cities, towns -- and forested regions are the norm for the planet, with only one remaining desert region in the southern hemisphere, and the iced regions in the north and south-most points on the planet. Nine continents, fourteen archipelagoes, eight divisions of the World Ocean, and eleven countries.

[Continents]
The Wastes/Pacifia & Tunruy: Two of the largest masses on the planet aren’t composed entirely from rock and soil. These areas -- formerly large masses of earth that became so littered by water that everything was covered by ice -- are largely uninhabitable. The southern mass, Pacifia is the largest of the two and most barren. Some life forms are known to use the outer edges for temporary homes, but only during the warmer seasons in regards to Pacifia. Tunruy, the northern continent, provides more areas of moderate comfort during these seasons, offering more use to wildlife and venturing explorers. Both continents become hostile and violent in the colder seasons, littered with storms of ice and snow on a regular basis.

Conda: Mountainous and smooth, Conda has one of the more varied landscapes. Homeland of the Garif Federation and the third largest continent on Tiria.

Aberia: Tropical and the second hottest continent to ever visit. Lush jungles and forests are the norm within this land. Home to the Republic of Rifan, this continent is directly south of Conda.

Strend: Some thousands of years ago, this continent and the large ring of islands surrounding it were part of Conda’s eastern coastline. Erosion contributed, but little is known for the primary reason for how the land became separated to such a great deal. Part of the Garif Federation.

Delri: Delri is the continent directly west of Trknel, which a large section of land submerged that hints to the two formerly being one larger continent, much like Strend and Conda. Located east from Conda across a large expanse of ocean.

Irtoli: Southwest from Trknel and almost directly south of Delri, Irtoli is home to the hottest climate in Tiria. Much of its landscape is mountains and hills, with jungles that are quite similar to those in Aberia. Second largest continent.

Trknel: The largest continent in Tiria is also the most wildly varied in its environments. Cold, sometimes frozen hills and plains scatter over the northeastern regions. Dry, hot weather is a large issue with the southwestern territories. The mountainous areas in the central east are chilled by their elevated ground level, while being one of the most heavily vegetated. There are even large expanses of plains all over the inner lands of the northwest.

Nufger: With a wildly varied ecosystem and regularly dry climate, Nufger is typically not a top tourist location, save for those who’ve been there. But the continent is also home to some of the rarest wildlife in the world while also having the most widely regarded beach vacation resorts. Located southeast from Trknel and west from Conda across wide oceans on all sides, Nufger is one of the most isolated land masses in Tiria.

[Countries]
Garif Federation: The leading military power of the world. All laws are strictly enforced, no matter how small. Very few great crimes are committed and the Federation’s top officials prefer it that way, using the military to enforce laws with heavy force. Border policies are very harsh to control immigration.

Republic of Rifan: Very free and open land, seeming only happy to accept all visitors that aren’t wanted felons of high importance to another country. What its military lacks in sheer numbers and firepower compared to Garif, it easily compensates with tactical and technological prowess.

[Notable Locations]
Randel’s Tower: Pinnacle of hope and willpower, this tower was built in memory of Tiria’s greatest scientific mind of the past century. Central to the annual celebration within Garif, the Hope Festival is conducted around this grand structure located within Strend.

=============

~~~~{Character Information}~~~~

[Sheet]

Name:

Appearance:

Personality:

Background:

[Player Characters]

[NPCs and PWN(People Worth Notation)s]
Randel Wilsturn: Scientist and creative mind behind the WilRun Project that allowed for the various ecological changes that have created livable conditions in formerly barren locations all around the world. Died twenty years and seven months ago at the age of forty-six when he gave his life to save his team and activate the first WilRun Projector.

=============

~~~~{Codex}~~~~

Hope Festival: Yearly celebration within the Garif Federation. Conducted in memory of the sacrifice Randel Wilsturn made in order to better the world. This year marks the twentieth year since the festival began.

WilRun Project: Program run by two men that gave way to the greatest scientific achievement in Tiria. Randel Wilsturn was the leading scientific mind behind the project, with Runner Jennings as the financial genius that funded the idea.

=============

I tend to spend weekends just relaxing and forgetting most everything while catching up on games. May look in, but don't expect posts from me until Monday... And I really hope I don't have to actually list out some set rules at this point; I expect everyone should have enough sense by now to know right from wrong in an RPG.

Oh, and if you guys have anything to ask or discuss, but feel it can't be mentioned here, it's never gonna hurt to send a PM.
Demon of Elru

Re: Temporal Happenstance: Adventures In the Cergroi Throng

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 am

What, you guys taking your time or something?
Demon of Elru

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:25 pm

What's the story behind this?

I just don't quite know what type of character I should shape or anything. It's all very open.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Normal person. At a festival celebrating a global holiday. Said celebration is explained in the codex.

That what you needing? Fine explaining things a bit more, for anyone, if something's unclear.

Edit: As for the story, the intro kinda gave some hint to something, but it's much later. The start of the game is just the tutorial, really. Letting you get a full feel for your characters, flesh out the friends/family they came with, and maybe meet each other earlier than intended. Whatever you choose, all characters will end up at one point, then I'll kick your butts straight into the early stages of the story.
Demon of Elru

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:03 pm

It's just that, is this a social RP, a fighting RP, mystery, alien, war?
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm

There will be combat, there will be high science, there wil be high fantasy, there will be...mysteries in the plot to be solved that change events. Even a little social play, though not that often.

Time travelling kinda has a mixed bag at times. This is one of those times.
Demon of Elru

Postby Sentios » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:13 am

Ro Wong wrote:What, you guys taking your time or something?

No one wants to be the first to post their CS I guess, I've just been being lazy for a change.

Edit:
That said I am having difficulty grasping some aspects of the setting, like the only thing we know about the continents are their climates. Are all the continents except The Wastes settled? Modernized? Is the planet split between the two factions you named or do they only control the continents they're mentioned in the description of with other unnamed factions controlling the other places?

Also are we supposed to be making adult characters or high schoolers for this? You never really told us what you're looking for character wise other than 'average people'.

The year is 2364 by the present solar calendar. The game begins just as the characters: from a humble origin on a day of celebration for the entire world. The characters are all normal. Average people of modest skills, set along a road with a clear and simple path. But something soon arises. A terrible event ignites a journey for salvation and redemption as a group of would-be heroes struggle to uncover the truth of their intervened fates. Who would alter such ordinary lives, and why would they go to such extremes to remain unreachable by their young foes?

Like this part makes me think adults while this makes me think kids.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Ro Wong » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:37 am

I didn't limit the age because I already know you guys have done these things enough to either prefer a certain age bracket, or be so used to it that you just do it. Adults, teenagers with attitude; As long as you're still young and healthy, I don't really mind. Only way I'd have issue is if you went right off and tried making something outlandish, like a cranky geezer in depends, or a little toddler. Really, just create and play nearly anything you want. I have no intent on greatly limiting your creations until they seem extreme.

As for the "young foes" thing, I generally regard anyone below middle age as still young, so it fit. Plus, well, time travel. You can expect villains related to that part of the story to have been at it for a while.

For countries, there are more, as my description of the planet pointed out. Just that you're all going to be in one location, which is part of Garif (formerly Rifan), so except for someone wanting to be an exception -- at which point, just describe the kind of foreigner you want and I'll PM you details on that country -- I'm expecting locals. The rest I'm intending to be filled in along the way and updated with the rest of the codex, hence why I don't mention who controls what in the continental descriptions either.

And yes, most the rest of the world... Actually, all of the continents outside the Wastes are settled and modernized. The tech level is very equal all around with Rifan itself being the only one noticeably more advanced.
Demon of Elru

Postby Karo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm not sure what kind of character I want to do yet, but I'll be posting a cs hopefully soon.
Zath: Behold, Karo: The only woman in existence who can make Fenix shut the fuck up.
Redsnow: That, and, frankly, if Karo doesn't like you that much, your character is probably going to die soon after his acceptance anyway.
Keiran: Bad RPs don't get picked, unmemberable RPs get ignored.
Zelosse: I don't usually laugh at blatant attitude, but when I do. It usually involves Karo.

Postby BG07 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I have a CS in mind, just been busy with a vacation and sprained hand

Postby Sentios » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Name: Cedric Howard

Appearance: Cedric is a lean built, 5'11" with obvious muscle and a dark tan from years of recreational swimming and diving. He keeps his light brown, partially bleached from sun exposure, hair very short, around 1/4-1/2 an inch in length, as he hates to fuss with it. He has sharp green eyes, that he keeps behind a pair of copper tinted, wrap around sunglasses when he's able to with otherwise common facial features. As far as clothing is concerned he shows up to work in a when he's not at the pool he wears business attire practically everywhere; a grey or navy colored suit with a crisp white shirt and solid color red tie. He'll only dresses more casually, khakis and hawaiian shirts, when he's at home or sometimes he'll do it on a whim when he goes out for some other recreation.

Personality: Cedric is most commonly described as a serious guy, not that he doesn't appreciate humor he's just rarely the one making them and laughter doesn't really make it past his lips. Another way people usually describe him is professional. He pays attentions to details, knowns the right time to ask questions, gets along well with other people regardless of what he thinks of them, and of course there's the way he's dressed the majority of the time. Of course while all of that is true it's only part of his personality that he shows as his public face. Just under the surface quietly keeping the man going is the kind of passion only found in people who were kids during a major landmark event, inspired to try to accomplish something great even if no one ever hears of them. Cedric has a pure love for technology, particularly the ways in which it's use can create a better future, and condemns what he views as aberrations in it's use, like military applications.

Background: Cedric is officially a programmer, one of many, working for TFC Inc. firm that produces security systems that is only a couple years old but steadily growing. That said he spends very little of his time actually writing code, being one of the earliest hires in a business that is still fairly small he's often pushed into the role of project coordinator and QA. Most days he's more of a manager or businessman than a programmer really, even being sent on business trips from time to time, and while it's not his ideal position to be in he's gotta admit the pay is nice. He's college educated so he could probably find another job that actually put his skills to use but he's got other plans for his free time that depend on the steady income. He's a member of the FutureToday Foundation (FTF) a loose organization of volunteers who discuss, research, design and some times even prototype and test a wide variety of projects. Their current project involves permanent, self-sustaining, undersea habitats which they've begun to prototype on donations from members like Cedric, who is also involved in handling the software which will regulate and monitor the habitat.

He's the most successful member of his family depending on who you ask, I mean he has a good paying job and lives alone but he doesn't even have someone you could mistake for a girlfriend and his parents are constantly bugging their only child about grandkids. It doesn't really concern him though, he's too busy with his work and the projects at FTF. Probably only time they're not on his mind is when he's in the water, his third passion, which is where he has been routinely every weekend for the past two years. It's his time to just clear his head and just let his thoughts drift, often remembering the news coverage surrounding the WilRun Project from when he was a kid, which greatly contributed to his development.

Postby Ro Wong » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Hmm.... Good job. Seems like he'd fit in at Rifan, too. Like the little references to how the Project impacted his growth.
Demon of Elru

Postby Sentios » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 pm

I'd think everyone would be affected by a project like that in some way, so a gave a nod to all people at places like NASA who were inspired by events like the moon landing.

Postby Musicmac » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 am

interested
will post up cs
that is if college does not kill my inspirational tendencies again
Listen.

Postby Ro Wong » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:05 am

If you need anything, just come by and ask. Good luck with the workload.
Demon of Elru

Postby BG07 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:51 pm

I WILL create my character for this, I've just been so busy lately... also lazy... mostly lazy

Postby Ro Wong » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:53 am

No worries. If I'd wanted you guys to make quick characters, I'd have set up more precise limits. Be sure about what you guys wanna play as I intend for this to take some time. Wouldn't do if you get tired of them quickly.
Demon of Elru

Postby Musicmac » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:08 am

PSEUDOPSCYHOLOGY PRESENTATION IS DONE
WILL NOW MAKE CHARACTER

PERHAPS AT A LATER TIME WHEN I AM NOT TOO SLEEP DEFCIENT
IT IS A PROMISE BTW
Listen.

Postby Karo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:49 am

Wow. I am still stumped on what kind of character to make.
Zath: Behold, Karo: The only woman in existence who can make Fenix shut the fuck up.
Redsnow: That, and, frankly, if Karo doesn't like you that much, your character is probably going to die soon after his acceptance anyway.
Keiran: Bad RPs don't get picked, unmemberable RPs get ignored.
Zelosse: I don't usually laugh at blatant attitude, but when I do. It usually involves Karo.

Postby Ro Wong » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:35 am

Yeah, getting the feeling you guys are kinda lacking some imagination here... Okay, let's try this: Pick a character type from games that you think would be fun for a long journey.
Demon of Elru

Postby BG07 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:22 pm

I just found my old copy of microsoft word... hmm... I'm wondering if I should even type up a character now. There hasn't been too much going on with this...

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Nothing to do until people post characters... Slackers.
Demon of Elru

Return to Role Playing