Weekly discussion 24 (1/13/13-1/20/13): $1 trillion coin

Arizona Telephone Directory - Illegal Business Operations

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Weekly discussion 23 (8/12-8/19): Rumble on the Potomac

Postby Musicmac » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 am

Different country, don't really care.

Although I do hope Obama gets a win, I'm slightly more hopeful on his plans than for the Republican side. This is assuming the stuff I read on local paper is ensured to be properly reported for once.
Listen.

Postby Q.U. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 pm

By the way, enjoy this one. Ruff is gonna love it.

This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Valhallen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Loool. That's from the same guy who did the "One Nation Under God" painting. Interesting views on history and politics. Like, going off that painting you might get the impression that Old Hickory's policies were more beneficial to out of work dudes than FDR's. Still, such views influence a lot of the dialogue these days, so we'll be seeing more in the coming months.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:28 pm

THINK OF THE CONSTITUTION! WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CONSTITUTION!

Ugh, that guy. I think the American constitution is pretty overrated. Should spend more time thinking about what kinda free country you would want, less about how some 300-year old document worded it exactly.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Q.U. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 pm

So, who wants to bet that this guy watches Fox News every day?
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Musicmac » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am

I liked the colors and the life-like figures.
Listen.

Postby Rough Giraffe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Q.U. wrote:By the way, enjoy this one. Ruff is gonna love it.Image
I do love it. Seriously, it's very well-done. Lovely artwork and a strongly conservative message behind it. Thanks for sharing.
A little bit Ruff around the edges

Postby Valhallen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:12 pm

How would you interpret its symbolism as a strongly conservative message?

Postby EagleMan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Well, if we take it for granted that only conservatives love the Constitution, then that's how it is.

Otherwise interpreting it strictly without that context, it's Obama stepping all over the Constitution, but that does not necessarily reflect on liberals or conservatives, but the common way the right promotes itself is that it is a defender of the constitution, implying that liberals can't staunchly uphold it as well. You could just as easily have Bush there as well.

If I said the Under God painting without context, since when I first saw it two weeks ago I assumed it was meant to be satirical, and now I've seen this painting as well, I would assume the man to be a civil libertarian of some sort if I didn't know anymore.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Oh yeah, you guys haven't seen him before?
He's done, like a LOT of paintings. Pretty much entirely conservative viewpoints in them. Very nice work besides the content, though.

In fact, hasn't that EXACT one been on this forum before?
For the Greater Good

Postby DaCrum » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:34 am

First of all, I can't even tell that's the Constitution, and Obama hasn't even noticed. Although Washington's look of "Obama, what the hell!" is priceless.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Rough Giraffe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:55 am

Valhallen wrote:How would you interpret its symbolism as a strongly conservative message?
What, really? You can't see that?

Okay. Take a look at the picture, starting from the left side. The picture is arranged from stage left (political Right/fiscal or political conservative) to stage right (political Left/Liberal or Progressive). Notice how most of the non-moderate democrats are facing away from the right, and many are applauding TO the left. Notice further how Pres. Bush (Right-Wing Progressive) is pointing towards the Right, wanting to go to that side, but being caught up in his Progressive politics and therefore feels he cannot leave his side.

The founding fathers and a lot of famous political and fiscal conservatives are around a park bench, holding their hands in concern for the man on the park bench, who appears to be either a college student or a jobless adult. That man will be burdened by the policies of excessive spending that have accumulated over the years, doomed to pay off the debt for the rest of his taxable life. The others around him have expressions that read "Look what you've done to this man," which is a clear indicator that they are upset as to the state of affairs that have gotten us to this point. Notice the money scattered around the ground; this is money that the man cannot use, as evidenced by why we don't see him reaching for it.

Pres. Obama is clearly standing on what appears to be the Constitution, and is blatantly ignoring Pres. Washington as he tries to bring it to his attention (note: The only reason Washington would care that Obama was stepping on the paper is if it was gravely important, and this means it can ONLY BE the Constitution). This shows that Obama does not care about the Rule Of Law in America, which IS the Constitution, or it should be, as it is the first written law of the nation.

I'm about to board an airplane so if there's something I missed, I will have to do it after I touch down at my next stop. Talk to you later.

Postby Musicmac » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 am

The money has been explained to represent the inflation of the US dollar over the course of history, which is pretty close to what Ruff said, as is everything else.

[quote='DaCrum']
Although Washington's look of "Obama, what the hell!" is priceless.
[/quote]
"Dafuq bro, why you step on my paper"
Listen.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Saw a funny editorial picture in the local paper. TV screen with Romney picking Ryan as his VP candidate, and the guy in a chair watching saying that Romney's hidden tax returns must show he's taking money from the Democrats. I laughed.
For the Greater Good

Postby Valhallen » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:23 pm

RuffDraft wrote:
Valhallen wrote:How would you interpret its symbolism as a strongly conservative message?
What, really? You can't see that?
I can, but "conservative" has a lot of meanings these days, some of them rather far from the basic meaning of desiring to protect the status quo. For example, the guy who painted that could be described as a libertarian and religious fundamentalist. I wanted to hear what it meant to you.

RuffDraft wrote:Okay. Take a look at the picture, starting from the left side. The picture is arranged from stage left (political Right/fiscal or political conservative) to stage right (political Left/Liberal or Progressive).
Dubious. Do you think that the price-setting, EPA-starting Nixon is to the right of tax-cutting, government-shrinking Obama? Or that dictatorial, society-overthrowing Lincoln should be over there? The painter's explanation (mouse over to see explanations of different parts) emphasizes more how he thinks they helped "the forgotten man" on the bench, which seems to correlate with but not quite follow a left-right spectrum.

RuffDraft wrote:Notice how most of the non-moderate democrats are facing away from the right, and many are applauding TO the left. Notice further how Pres. Bush (Right-Wing Progressive) is pointing towards the Right, wanting to go to that side, but being caught up in his Progressive politics and therefore feels he cannot leave his side.
How do you consider Bush to be Progressive? Consider how the Progressive Caucus's budget contrasts with Bush's policies.

RuffDraft wrote:The founding fathers and a lot of famous political and fiscal conservatives are around a park bench, holding their hands in concern for the man on the park bench, who appears to be either a college student or a jobless adult. That man will be burdened by the policies of excessive spending that have accumulated over the years, doomed to pay off the debt for the rest of his taxable life. The others around him have expressions that read "Look what you've done to this man," which is a clear indicator that they are upset as to the state of affairs that have gotten us to this point.
So they're upset at the insufficiency of regulation in the financial system? I could see some of them acknowledging its usefulness, like Hamilton, but the present economy and regulatory system is very different from what any of them actually dealt with. And they had just racked up a huge debt to pay for what they considered to be a worthy cause (the Revolution) and resolved to pay it off with government revenue.

RuffDraft wrote:Notice the money scattered around the ground; this is money that the man cannot use, as evidenced by why we don't see him reaching for it.
Each dollar on the ground has its own note which says something of the painter's ideas relating to monetary and fiscal policy.

RuffDraft wrote:Pres. Obama is clearly standing on what appears to be the Constitution, and is blatantly ignoring Pres. Washington as he tries to bring it to his attention (note: The only reason Washington would care that Obama was stepping on the paper is if it was gravely important, and this means it can ONLY BE the Constitution).
Most of the Constitution, at least. A number of Amendments are scattered about. Also, Washington had high regard for Congressional laws, using them to guide his actions in the Whiskey Rebellion, for example.

RuffDraft wrote:This shows that Obama does not care about the Rule Of Law in America, which IS the Constitution, or it should be, as it is the first written law of the nation.
What about the Articles of Confederation? Also, the Constitution doesn't say much about the day to day actions of the government, which is mostly covered by acts of Congress.

Postby DaCrum » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:46 am

Actually, examining Obama's face, it really looks like someone said something to upset him. Considering Nixon's face, it was something he said. And considering the applause from Clinton, LBJ and Roosevelt, it was a particularly good burn, probably about how few people Obama's sexed up.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Valhallen » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:11 am

Postby Valhallen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 am

All right, if no one else will say it, I will: Should this election come down to dog policy?

Postby Musicmac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 am

What in the world is dog policy, and I severely hope that the answer is not about dog ownership.
Listen.

Postby Valhallen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:05 pm

It's about whether dogs should be used for food or for car roof ornaments. There was a whole thing about it.

Postby Rough Giraffe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:08 pm

It's a ridiculous non-issue. On BOTH sides. I am sick of hearing that. Why can't people stick to the issues?

Postby Valhallen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:16 pm

But wouldn't the popular media have us believe that such things are what REALLY MATTER?

Postby Q.U. » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 pm

You mean like they had already done with abortion, separation of church and state, and evolution? Only in a retard country can you have retarded non-issues tilting presidential elections.

Postby DaCrum » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Considering the amount the heat is disrupting my life, I would really want either candidate to have a comprehensive, non-optional plan to stem the growing global warming problem. I still want a public option, I want a revamping of tax code to ensure that the government can actually pay for the services it should provide, a more comprehensive overhaul of the federal DoE including the long overdue throwing out of No Child Left Behind, maybe some regulations to deal with Monsanto and other overpowered corporations. I know in California, there is a proposition on the ballot that would require food which uses genetic modification to label their food as such.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Q.U. » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:20 pm

By the way, I got a winning 66 666 today. And the video is on the subject of this thread. So I'll share it here.

PreviousNext

Return to The Extrovert Booty Society