The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 am

"plot asspull of budget preservation management"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 am

Right. Sorry I asked.

Postby Teran » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:00 am

Well, I'm sure they learned their lesson and Season 2 will be better. Reminds me of the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and how season 2 surpassed it in every aspect. Then we got season 3...
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby Freeze » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:12 am

As the episode was ending i was like: deus ex machina event in 10 9... I would have liked if it had went like BeeAre said.

Postby Dibullba » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:20 am

In any case despite what has been said that can be questioned, this first season has done an incredible job writing wise, though I will say that most of what happens seems to happen in the last three episodes. Also, not saying this to be immature rather conversation, i was right about Amon wanting to completely rid bending from the world by even lining them up to be "cleansed". Since the technique was done with blood bending, genetically it would not be able to pass on as well. Though I will say, I am glad that the selfish intent was shown that he was looking to become the ruler his father could not be simply by being the only bender to exist. So a brilliant plan by a brilliant villain.

Postby Biostar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 am

I don't think bloodbending would have stopped bending capabilities from being passed down simply because it doesn't change the genetic makeup of a victim. DNA isn't isolated to blood.

How Amon caught Tenzin

Postby Princess » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:19 am

They probably tracked them down. It was definitely a shock factor, especially to the fans. Korra herself even said "But.. they got away!". They could have had some Equalists chilling outside the borders of Republic City, just in case Korra tried to escape. Pretty sure Amon/   Noatak   's main objective was to get Korra during that situation.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MQuinny1234 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:57 pm

How about the flying planes? It's unlikely their first real usage was in a major battle. I'd have had them used in some small way first.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Grieffon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

The only weapon those planes have is explosives, how can they capture them alive?

Postby MQuinny1234 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:20 pm

The only weapon of the planes we saw. I don't imagine they'd be hard to use against an air ship.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Grieffon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 pm

To think about it, how exactly could Tenzin's family be captured alive? Shooting them, or using something to electrocute them would make them fall to their death, launching nets wouldn't work with 4 airbenders. Ambushes would be impossible, because the air blimps and planes are too obvious, and ground force can't really follow a sky bison.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Why would they launch the nets?
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Let's not pretend they didn't pull that shit off because "oh shit we're already at the end of the season fuck fuck fuck".
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Roughnecks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 pm

"Live forever Apes"- Lt. Razak
The next Starship Troopers movie out Summer 2012!!!!! http://www.starshiptroopersinvasion-movie.com/

Postby Teran » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Heh... reminds me of an idiot who used to post in here.
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby Princess » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Please never bring him up again.

I dunno if I told you guys, I got my second Korra poster the other day.

There's coasters holding it down on the top and bottom, because it kept rolling up. But I'm in love with it. 8D
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Princess » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search

What I’m sure I can safely say that a hell of a lot of people have been waiting for for quite some time: the story of what happened to Ursa, a.k.a. Zuko’s Mum.

-

Dark Horse are wrapping up their three part graphic novel series “The Promise” set after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and have announced that writer of The Promise: Gene Luen Yang and Girihiru Studios will be returning to work on another series of graphic novels; The Search.

The Search will primarily focus of the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Ursa, the mother of Prince Zuko and Princess Azula, it will also reveal details of Azula’s fate following the end of the Hundred Years War, including her imprisonment in a Fire Nation mental institution and the effects this has had on her.

According to an interview with writer Yang, unlike Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, The Promise, etc. The Search will take the fire nation royal children as the main focus, while Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph and co. will still be around and featuring, they will have less prominent roles than usual.

Yang has also stated that “I’m happy to say, writing “The Search” is giving me the chance to explore that side [the ‘supernatural’ side] of Aang and his world.” alluding to such events as (Spoilers for A:TLA Series 1 finale) the siege of the Northern Water Tribe and Aang’s journey into the spirit world, along with how this will define it from the previous series The Promise which focused on the political ramifications of the end of the Hundred Years War.

Yang has confirmed that The Search takes place immediately after the end of The Promise.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Teran » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:34 am

Why not start with "The Search" then? The Promise has been so horribly boring and overall disappointing, it makes me wonder if these Graphic Novels are going to take the same path the Halo comics eventually took.

Postby BeeAre » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:34 am

his name is Noatak

No Attack.   

... nyoro~n ¦:3
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby True Order » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am

I thought you guys might like this.

In the case that you know who he is, of course.

"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Roughnecks » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:26 pm

"Live forever Apes"- Lt. Razak
The next Starship Troopers movie out Summer 2012!!!!! http://www.starshiptroopersinvasion-movie.com/

Postby Dibullba » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 am

If people are wondering why I said that with blood bending that bending could not be passed on, it is because if Amon did have the intention of ridding bending he would be able to prevent benders from giving birth simply by not allowing blood to transmit inside mothers. As for males.... just use your imagination.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 am

The one problem with that plan is that, as bending can hide for generations (and if Stuff's statements are canon, may in fact not require any previos bending ancestry AT ALL) there would always be a few benders around. And, based on what Korra did, it looks like Amon's method can't take away bending ability that has not yet manifested itself, so my guess that he would estabish a tradition of simply pre-eptively "cleansing" each child as it was born as a precaution just would not work. Frankly I can't see any way Amon's stated plan could have come to fruition, even if he had won. He'd be stuck cleasing people on a nearly daily basis for the rest of his life, and bending would come back the moment he passed on (unless part of his plan was to sire children of his own, teach them bloodbending in secret, and form a sort of Equalist High Priesthood to carry on after him, which would run a big risk of someone in the family eventually blabbing the secret (say a descendent who was good at waterbending but couldn't do bloodbending and felt jealous of a sibling who could.) Ultimately, for Amon to kill off bending, he'd probably have to kill off everyone.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Naur » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:09 pm

There's something else I think needs to be pointed out with this ending which in my opinion is the most tragic shortcoming of all; it flies in the face of one of the principal messages from the first series. Throughout the whole of the series Aang had to work his butt off to achieve anything, in spite of being the potentially most powerful creature in the world. He had his avatar state, but he couldn't control it, he could bend any element, but he had mental barriers and regrets with each that he had to work hard to overcome. The point of the first series was that even with so much power nothing comes easy and you have to put in the effort to achieve your goals. With Korra, true she struggled with airbending and the spiritual side of her position, but rather then showcase a gradual improvement she suddenly has full control of them via convenient mcguffins. She loses her other bending, so she suddenly can now airbend as well as any air nomad (save maybe tenzin)? Aang shows up and magics back her bending and now she suddenly has total control of her avatar state as well? Even when Aang got past his mental block with earth bending the writers knew to have Toph get Sokka out of the hole since Aang would probably mess up and crush him. This is why so many are saying she should have had to slowly get them back over the course of season two, that end with Aang was such an unnatural and unbelievable mistake anyone watching would get what was wrong. To be honest, I was so disappointed by this, it really sunk the series as a whole beneath any part of the first; even season one, and frankly I liked season three....mostly though for the Iroh moments (I still get tears when he embraces Zuko after his apology.....though a lot of that plot touches me at a personal level due to my own family life.)

Postby Dibullba » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Probably best to see that Korra, unlike Aang, did not face any real challenges throughout her life while training other than not being spiritually inept. Amon then comes into the picture and makes quick work putting his plan into fruition. So when she loses the bending she had other than air bending, it was likely desperation that allowed her to gain use of that ability. Once Amon had been defeated, finding out that she could not regain her bending powers other than Air had given her something difficult to deal with for the first time in her personal life. That opened her up to understanding herself which is spiritual, and as the avatar state has proven can overcome limitations set in the physical world.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)