Legend of Korra

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Legend of Korra

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I will not disagree that this episode used elements that can only be described as the ass pulls of the filthiest of asses.

I personally loved how amon completely changed from badass villian to stupid idiot in one chapter. Also, took his brother's bending away and the next time he sees tarlok he goes all "oh brother, well met, thanks to the last flashback you provided we now know i love you so much because you're my brother, look at my smiling face, let us escape together and begin a life anew, even if you can't bend anymore because i took your motherfucking bending away but we cool aight? Now let's get on a boat and look how my character and attitude changed at the last minute, and how my ambitions to rid this world of bending were apparently not important and easily scrappped even though i had all the military power and social impact to brush off the avatar's claim of me being a waterbender easily, but thanks to "plot asspull of budget preservation management" here we are, all happy and shit, because i have you and this boat, we cool aight? :D".

Seriously, he's immune to fucking bloodbending and yet he was beaten by air puffs that korra had just learned how to make? Why is she even capable of using airbending like a pro without doing it like a newborn that had just found his powers, like it should have been like? It's not like she connected with the other avatars right fucking there, so the "all avatars learn the experience, mastery and lives of all the past avatars" thing would be bullshit right there, she just went "I CAN AIRBEND, FUCK YOU TENZIN *huge air kamehamehas*" and amon was like "oh fuck i'm insanely powerful but i'll be FUCKED if i can resist these little air balls".
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm getting the vibe that when you say you "loved how", you didn't really love it. Could just be me.

And Tenzen totally knocked Amon off his feet with his puffs of air. Foreshadowing. Amon's a pokemon, and he's weak to air. Or flying, I guess.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby BobSagat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Fucking yes, you totally nailed the Amon/Tarrlok thing. I couldn't quite put my finger on why it felt so inappropriate. Other people are getting all excited and shit saying "omg suicide/murder in a children's cartoon how grimdark!", but it just felt completely fucking misplaced not only with Amon's character but with Tarrlok. Why? Nothing about either of their characters makes any sense in that boat scene. We're just supposed to subscribe to this thought that they're a pair of sentimental saps now because of that stupid flashback?

But honestly, my main complaint is really just how much I hate or just do not care for almost any of the characters. I mean Asami gets my sympathy since everyone just shits on her, but again it's not like she's got that many scenes to endear us to her. That said, she's probably the only character who actually relates to Korra on screen and not just in a big huge declaration of "you're da coolest strongest biggest-boobest girl ever, korra!"

It just boggles my mind because 12 episodes was fucking enough, they just insisted on putting in some useless shit like probending or wasting an episode on shipping* without actually making us care for the characters first. The only thing probending accomplishes in service to the grand plot is provide a way for Korra to meet the bending bros, but she could have met them in a dozen better ways. They could have been working (but trying to get out of) the Triads, victims of circumstance and all that. It would have emphasized the conflict between benders and nonbenders right out of the gate instead of just fucking saying there is one and never showing it besides that one scene in episode 8.

There was time! There was more than enough fucking time for these characters to connect! But no, any fucking time devoted to the characters interacting is consumed entirely by stupid fucking love triangles. LOVE TRIANGLES THAT HAVE NO REASON FOR EXISTING BECAUSE THEY NEVER INTERACT BEYOND JUST SAYING I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU OH MG GAOFJASIDJF

* I ACTUALLY LIKED THIS EPISODE AT THE TIME. I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY AS HELL. I THOUGHT IT WAS A PARODY OF THE WHOLE SHIPPING NONSENSE. LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT'S THE TIME WHERE WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THAT THESE KIDS ARE ACTUALLY FRIENDS BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY EPISODE THAT EVEN CONSIDERS THEIR RELATIONSHIP. AND AGAIN ONLY THROUGH THE LENS OF A FUCKING GODDAMN LOVE TRIANGLE
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby EagleMan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 pm

I liked it for a kid's show. There are plenty of plot holes and stupid things to be sure, but I can't tell if that's genuinely bad writing or just the creators keeping it accessible for children.

Postby BeeAre » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:12 pm

here's my theory on the dumb decisions made:

to get the miniseries done, the creators whipped up a sport, so the execs of nickelodeon would go along with that as the major thing for the miniseries, and that is the reason the first bit of it is approved.

internet finds out: massive surge of popularity, execs realize they've actually got something people aren't going to ignore as boring and old, budget shoots up.

at this point, they're already done with a well-paced 12 episode story that ends immediately, but now they've got a bunch more money, so they start doing edits to the story to try and move the budget around for things that they want to do with the new creative places they are now allowed to produce.

plot thus rushed, weird things happen. I accept that they are weird--love triangle and probending were the original focus of the original miniseries, but i think the episodes like. 5-9, those were the ones that got the real fuckscrew and had to scramble for better pacing. they just barely kept the story passable, IMO, pacing-wise, but the teams who actually did the fighting? they did it so well that it helped make the story worth watching despite several weird decisions.

And I think a lot of those weird decisions will be the very things expanded on in the next season, much in the same way people flipped over Aang discovering spirit bending in the very last part of the first series, and it becoming the big thing for Korra's first season.

The creators are very self-aware, and seem to check on each others' progress in things, but they were too far along in what was going to be a one-shot to go back under the schedule they had to repace it correctly.

I posit this theory because of the very strange situation that they went through in preproduction. As we got more and more news about this project, we underwent at least THREE public versions of just the fucking TITLE to get to the current one.

but then James Cameron, creators bothered by that

The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

but then clearly not last airbender, creators are bothered by that

The Legend of Korra

fans agree this is the least retarded thing, simple effective and good, execs listen to internet hype, series gets underway, many minor fuck-ups are had, story still fairly good.

Here's hoping that they literally do what they did with Aang's spiritbending in A:TLA as to all the various weird ends at the end of this first season of TLOK, and sit down and specifically make the story deal with as many of them as they can.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby BobSagat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:35 am

Are you seriously suggesting that getting a bigger budget actually made this show worse?

Because that is a really stupid and unfounded theory.

You are positing so much of the creative process when even given your circumstances, the only way Bryke could have made the poor edits that you're talking about would be if they were simply not as good writers as they thought they were. Which is likely the case since they were the only two writers on board as opposed to AtLA which had several. Bryke probably made the mistakes that they made without the convoluted process you're talking about.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby BeeAre » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:46 am

BobSagat wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that getting a bigger budget actually made this show worse?

Because that is a really stupid and unfounded theory.

That's not very polite of you, friend.

You are positing so much of the creative process when even given your circumstances, the only way Bryke could have made the poor edits that you're talking about would be if they were simply not as good writers as they thought they were. Which is likely the case since they were the only two writers on board and probably made the mistakes that they made without the convoluted process you're talking about.

I dislike that you are using the word stupid, but I must be some sort of stupid because I don't understand. I mean this sincerely and am legitimately not trying to be mean to you, but I don't understand what you are saying the second time I quoted you in this post. Please, reword it for me. I apologize for not understanding.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:53 am

So, Lin is the only character no one has any problem with?

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:01 am

Lin and Tenzin got more development than anyone from the "team avatar".
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:02 am

Grieffon wrote:So, Lin is the only character no one has any problem with?

well shit if Pema weren't voiced by Maria Bamford I'd want Lin and Tenzin to fuck like crazy and get both airbender and metalbender children at a number of like twelve so we could have Cheaper by the Dozen in the Avatar universe with magic kung fu instead of bad remakes that made me feel bad for Steve Martin.

So if that counts, that's the only problem I can think of regarding Lin.

She's like Toph but not blind, cougar as fuck, and ripped a god damn airship to shreds by herself.

We don't know how she got her face scars yet, either. That's gotta be a story worth fucking hearing man.

Bet it'll go the way of Jet's and Ursa's Schrödinger death paradoxes, though. :(
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Princess » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:16 am

I want to see more of Tahno next season, since Korra is most likely going to give him his bending back, too.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Princess » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search

What I’m sure I can safely say that a hell of a lot of people have been waiting for for quite some time: the story of what happened to Ursa, a.k.a. Zuko’s Mum.

-

Dark Horse are wrapping up their three part graphic novel series “The Promise” set after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and have announced that writer of The Promise: Gene Luen Yang and Girihiru Studios will be returning to work on another series of graphic novels; The Search.

The Search will primarily focus of the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Ursa, the mother of Prince Zuko and Princess Azula, it will also reveal details of Azula’s fate following the end of the Hundred Years War, including her imprisonment in a Fire Nation mental institution and the effects this has had on her.

According to an interview with writer Yang, unlike Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, The Promise, etc. The Search will take the fire nation royal children as the main focus, while Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph and co. will still be around and featuring, they will have less prominent roles than usual.

Yang has also stated that “I’m happy to say, writing “The Search” is giving me the chance to explore that side [the ‘supernatural’ side] of Aang and his world.” alluding to such events as (Spoilers for A:TLA Series 1 finale) the siege of the Northern Water Tribe and Aang’s journey into the spirit world, along with how this will define it from the previous series The Promise which focused on the political ramifications of the end of the Hundred Years War.

Yang has confirmed that The Search takes place immediately after the end of The Promise.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Well it's about damn time. Looking forward to that series. I need to find The Promise comics too.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
||The soul sheds light and death is it's shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace.||
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby EagleMan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 am

Stuff wrote:I want to see more of Tahno next season, since Korra is most likely going to give him his bending back, too.

You probably will, seeing as how the team is missing a waterbender, and he's the most high-profile one so far.

Also fits slightly seeing as how the next book will presumably be Water. But if season 2 is supposed to be the last season, they might do something different for it, and she has to master Energy and all the things that art might entail (obviously it had some other use besides removing/restoring bending seeing as it predated them). And presumably the antagonist will be related to this, but Amon already took that on in a way. A spirit world antagonist then probably.

Postby spazmonkey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:09 pm

My take on the incredulous effectiveness of air-bending is that nobody knows how to fight it because there are less than 10 air-benders currently in existence.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby DaCrum » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 pm

I think the surprise was more of the benefit in the fight. As far as Noatok/Amon was concerned, he had just taken her bending away. There was no way to expect her to attack with bending after that.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:55 am

EagleMan wrote:You probably will, seeing as how the team is missing a waterbender, and he's the most high-profile one so far.

Damn political correctness...
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Morpheus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am

Saying that the team is missing a waterbender it like saying Aang's team was missing a airbender.

Postby EagleMan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Nah man that's Korra's team.

Aang was a native airbender so that made it alright, but it was also his preferred element. Korra doesn't seem to be much of a waterbender. Plus Tahno is cooler than Mako.

I hope some new techniques get made though. Given that Korra isn't a monk, she might be willing to take airbending to some extremes we haven't seen yet, and possibly have a firebender inspired technique out of it (in the same vein of Iroh's lightning redirection from the waterbenders).

Here's hoping season 2 is longer though. There'll probably be a time skip unless they're going to have us sit around while Tenzin trains Korra to be a master airbender.

Postby Morpheus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 am

I hope korra does with airbending.
The other elements seem to overpowered compared to it.

Postby Senel » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:38 am

I'd just airbend their fucking lungs so nothing gets in or out.

Suffocation bending bitch.

Location: That city where The Office supposedly takes place in.

Postby Senel » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:22 am

So the show got renewed for 26 more episodes. Thought this was relevant.

Postby Glahardt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:36 am

Well, hopefully pacing won't be an issue now.
Rather strange that the first season had so few episodes when ATLA proved to be immensely successful.

Postby Malumultimus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:28 am

Man, I cannot wait until The Search comes out.

Then everyone will stop asking what happened to that boring old bitch and start talking about things that matter.
Dave keep your damn near racist ignorant logic as far from the other sections of the site as humanly possible because it hurts my face just thinking about it.
MG mal your just sick
Wizard Mal...you're kind of a loser. / Mal was, is, and always will be a cunt / I used to hate Mal, but I've since come to pity him.
Tazuren Mal, please, do the world a BIG FUCKING FAVOR, and drop DEAD!
Cybella YOU EGOCENTRIC IDIOT!
Kathleen mal you are the people i hate the most here...and that is saying something
Hana you misogynist fuckwad.
Sakura I hate you.
Relick not many people would really care if you left without a word.
Cali Mal's an elitist cunt that glowers in getting peopel to dislike him. He can stay the fuck out of the RP forums forever and I'll be happy and he could leave Snafu altogehter and I'd probably not even notice..and if I did, I'd be nothing but happy. Shit, he's nothing special. Just another internet troll that happens to wear a different mask.

Postby Senel » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:08 am

I'm really glad Mal is back.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion