The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka!)

Postby Teran » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Good lord... it's hard for me to tolerate Iroh with that voice.
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby BeeAre » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Teran wrote:Good lord... it's hard for me to tolerate Iroh with that voice.

you know I kinda liked how it thematically merged the two characters in a bunch of ways. very cool.

all the action was awesome, sure! fucking sweet as shit.

it felt a bit rushed, but i blame that on them suddenly realizing they needed to use the budget on stuff for this new idea that they'd have more seasons. until recently the concept for those seasons just didn't exist, so they had to cut and stretch different parts of the timeline. forgivable.

i really wanted Korra's bending to be gone, though. I mean. I wanted her to get it back, definitely, but not until a lot later, even though it does make sense that triggering her airbending through a moment of meditative clarity and purpose is all air nomad stuff. air nomads were all benders and that was due to their spiritual connection to the harmony of the world. When she got anti-bended, I wanted her to be more immediately sad, since she's had all this fear and build-up to this awful thing happening to her. I wanted suffering so intense that it would make the audience's hearts all just pang in sympathy all over the nation all at once, but instead we just got the dread and horror of the bad guy's triumph. i wanted both. :P THEN! i thought we had another opportunity when she was on the cliff. It was so close, too--when she sat down and started crying I was hoping we'd get a full minute of her just bawling her eyes out, but Aang just shows up and is like "sup korra you like bruce willis movies? well here's The Fifth Element   

I don't want to sound like a terrible inhuman monster who gets off on other people's pain, btw, having realized how dark that sounds >_> but I am an absolutely HUGE fan of when there is an insanely deep amount of pain and bad and impossible odds in hero stories so that when they overcome it, the sense of triumph is just that much more intense. The victory is tangible in these tiny little things, and it's really REALLY fucking good.

For instance:

Makko's lightning blast on Amon was dope as hell. That shit was just, MAN, so satisfying. His lady just got, for all intents and purposes? mind raped. just traumatized immediately. and then he fucking blasts that motherfucker with god damn electricity. That's some vengeance shit. And when he was tossing fireballs ineffectually at him in the water? I LOVED him doing that shit. He knew he wasn't going to accomplish anything, the guy's a god damn waterbender in the ocean. But the son of a coincidentally and innocently nice lady but also psychopathic father and echoed his dad as a TAINT STAIN, that guy? He fucked with his lady, so he was trying to set the fucking ocean on fire. Awesome.   

and to echo the previous sentiments:

Tarlok fucking murder suiciding him and Amon (other name just not as memorable lol) was fucking METAL as hell. I mean. They died. They FUCKING died. if you watch the episodes again online, check out how they show men swimming when the boats blow up, or a parachute for EVERY SINGLE plane with a person in it that goes down. There was none of that with Tarlok and Amon. They died. they fucking died in an explosion. that's metal as shit, and that's how you fucking kill a bad guy.   
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Teran » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Sounds way too young, so I found the voice quite unfitting for the character. It's obvious that the creators wanted to relate both Zuko and General Iroh in some way, but if that's the case, then why not a younger character? In the end, his position as General was barely important.

I also enjoyed how my perception towards Tarrlok changed as the series progressed. At first I didn't really cared about him, then I hated him, and in the end, I actually felt sorry for him. Loved his redemption moment at the end.
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Beeare please read the other korra thread in snafu because i want to know your thoughts on the dumber side of the episode.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:56 pm

BeeAre wrote:I am an absolutely HUGE fan of when there is an insanely deep amount of pain and bad and impossible odds in hero stories so that when they overcome it, the sense of triumph is just that much more intense.

This.

BeeAre wrote:   And when he was tossing fireballs ineffectually at him in the water? I LOVED him doing that shit. He knew he wasn't going to accomplish anything, the guy's a god damn waterbender in the ocean. But he fucked with his lady, so he was trying to set the fucking ocean on fire. Awesome.   

A lightning blast would have done the trick though.

@Mirak
This one?
NVM found it.
Last edited by Grieffon on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BeeAre » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Mirak wrote:Beeare please read the other korra thread in snafu because i want to know your thoughts on the dumber side of the episode.

i agree with the legitimate criticisms and have posited a theory in that thread. :)

Grieffon wrote:A lightning blast would have done the trick though.

true, but i dunno, looks like lightning has both intense taxation on the body and also weirdly short range unless you're ozai or azula. O_o

and i mean, blood-bending IS a form of chi-blocking, that's just factual, so maybe his lightning guns were too sore after the single blast he did get off--which i maintain is AwSuM
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby Tsunade » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Teran wrote:Good lord... it's hard for me to tolerate Iroh with that voice.

I agree.

BeeAre wrote:all the action was awesome, sure! fucking sweet as shit.

it felt a bit rushed, but i blame that on them suddenly realizing they needed to use the budget on stuff for this new idea that they'd have more seasons. until recently the concept for those seasons just didn't exist, so they had to cut and stretch different parts of the timeline. forgivable.

i really wanted Korra's bending to be gone, though. I mean. I wanted her to get it back, definitely, but not until a lot later, even though it does make sense that triggering her airbending through a moment of meditative clarity and purpose is all air nomad stuff. air nomads were all benders and that was due to their spiritual connection to the harmony of the world. When she got anti-bended, I wanted her to be more immediately sad, since she's had all this fear and build-up to this awful thing happening to her. I wanted suffering so intense that it would make the audience's hearts all just pang in sympathy all over the nation all at once, but instead we just got the dread and horror of the bad guy's triumph. i wanted both. :P THEN! i thought we had another opportunity when she was on the cliff. It was so close, too--when she sat down and started crying I was hoping we'd get a full minute of her just bawling her eyes out, but Aang just shows up and is like "sup korra you like bruce willis movies? well here's The Fifth Element [/spiler]

I don't want to sound like a terrible inhuman monster who gets off on other people's pain, btw, having realized how dark that sounds >_> but I am an absolutely HUGE fan of when there is an insanely deep amount of pain and bad and impossible odds in hero stories so that when they overcome it, the sense of triumph is just that much more intense. The victory is tangible in these tiny little things, and it's really REALLY fucking good.

For instance:

[spoiler] Makko's lightning blast on Amon was dope as hell. That shit was just, MAN, so satisfying. His lady just got, for all intents and purposes? mind raped. just traumatized immediately. and then he fucking blasts that motherfucker with god damn electricity. That's some vengeance shit. And when he was tossing fireballs ineffectually at him in the water? I LOVED him doing that shit. He knew he wasn't going to accomplish anything, the guy's a god damn waterbender in the ocean. But the son of a coincidentally and innocently nice lady but also psychopathic father and echoed his dad as a TAINT STAIN, that guy? He fucked with his lady, so he was trying to set the fucking ocean on fire. Awesome. [/spoier]

and to echo the previous sentiments:

[spoiler] Tarlok fucking murder suiciding him and Amon (other name just not as memorable lol) was fucking METAL as hell. I mean. They died. They FUCKING died. if you watch the episodes again online, check out how they show men swimming when the boats blow up, or a parachute for EVERY SINGLE plane with a person in it that goes down. There was none of that with Tarlok and Amon. They died. they fucking died in an explosion. that's metal as shit, and that's how you fucking kill a bad guy.   

agree agree and agree. and LOL to the fifth element thing!
My first fanfic-Chapter 14: viewtopic.php?t=11453
A Model's Diary!:Ingrid Lavinge:Translated by Tsunade:Comedy:
viewtopic.php?t=14977
Teen Titans, you'll never be forgotten!!!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't know about that. I know salt water is a good conductor of electricity, but I think maybe the electricity diffuses quite rapidly. I mean, lightning hits the ocean all the time, and it doesn't electocute the fish (and fish are electrocutable)

And, Beeare if it makes you feel any better    I thought it likely that Amon would suceed in taking away Tenzin bending and that of his family (except the baby). I though Pema's statement in the first episode (that she wanted a child who was not a bender) would come back to haunt her, as she suddenly would have three (along with a husband) This would also have set up a nightmare pressure situation in future episodes for Korra; not only would she now have to master airbending without anyone who could show her how to do it (Tenzin could explain it, but without actually being able to do it, it would be a lot harder) but if Ronan did develop bending she would now be the only person left on Earth who could teach him   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:

I don't know about that. I know salt water is a good conductor of electricity, but I think maybe the electricity diffuses quite rapidly. I mean, lightning hits the ocean all the time, and it doesn't electocute the fish (and fish are electrocutable)

This would also have set up a nightmare pressure situation in future episodes for Korra; not only would she now have to master airbending without anyone who could show her how to do it (Tenzin could explain it, but without actually being able to do it, it would be a lot harder)   

Natural lightning is static electricity so they mostly don't kill fish unless the fish is right at the striking spot. I assume the lightning generated from firebenders is more like electric current. Fishing using electric current is very effective, so I would say it would have worked.

Yakone   did a pretty good job teaching a complex bending skill despite being unable to bend.   

Postby LewaBolt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:58 pm

this ending for the first season was nice, but they could have left the situation with Korra to be used in the second season....

Postby BeeAre » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:34 am

LewaBolt wrote:this ending for the first season was nice, but they could have left the situation with Korra to be used in the second season....

seriously: i agree with this so hard. they could have still even HAD the whole    Aang show up with every other avatar   

and just made it so he explained how    Korra could get back her bending    as the PLOT for season 2, which would have been fucking awesome. come on, someone tell me that wouldn't have been a GREAT way to segue into the next part of the story?

self-contained plot arcs? BAH i say. BAH!
BR

Postby Hiroko » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:49 am

I was thinking the same thing, when the episode was coming to a close. It surprised me that they didn't go that route, even though, like you said, it would have been an excellent way to segue into the next season.

On an unrelated note, this GIF is cruel (and a spoiler):

Clicky.
The Sentimental One

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:00 am

Hiroko wrote:Clicky.
That is fantastic.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

Postby Princess » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 am

I was right. Amon is hot.

Hiroko wrote:Clicky.

OMFG THAT IS HORRIBLE LOL
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby LewaBolt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 am

eh at least nothing like this happened in the show...it would have been too funny.

Postby CrimsonJack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 am

That made my day Lewa, thank you.
Do you know where the real Hell is? It's inside your head.
Do you know where the real Heaven is? It's beyond the clouds, a horizon we all see in the end.
That's why my head is always in the clouds, hoping to see that Heaven beyond the horizon of Life and Hell.
Sayonara, Adios, Goodbye.
Stella

Postby LewaBolt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:53 am

I just realized something...Aang named one of his sons Boomer...wasn't one of his best friends named that? King Boomer of that one earth tribe city?

Postby CrimsonJack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 pm

LewaBolt wrote:I just realized something...Aang named one of his sons Boomer...wasn't one of his best friends named that? King Boomer of that one earth tribe city?

King Boomie of Ba Sing Sei, I believe the largest earth kingdom of the time.
Do you know where the real Heaven is? It's beyond the clouds, a horizon we all see in the end.
That's why my head is always in the clouds, hoping to see that Heaven beyond the horizon of Life and Hell.
Stella

Postby LewaBolt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 pm

"Bumi was the wild-eyed, eccentric, elderly King of Omashu." nevermind.

Postby CrimsonJack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Sorry, I get my facts mixed up. I forgot about Omashu, been three years since I've seen the original Avatar @-@
Stella

Postby LewaBolt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:45 pm

well i wil say this though, at least Legend of Korra kicks the Airbender movies arse. will be looking forward to the 2nd season...which i wonder when will it be coming?

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:56 pm

In TLA, the time between book 1 and book 2 was 4 months, and between book 2 and 3 was 10 months, so we probably have to wait for a while.

Darn it, now I don't have any decent animated series to watch...

Postby CrimsonJack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Thunder cats! XD
Stella

Postby SpiderTiki » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:01 pm

It's coming in fall as most, looked foward to cartoons do
Still hates Feminism

Postby Grieffon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 am

Oh, almost forgot, how exactly did Amon capture Tenzin's family? Only 2 blimps chased them, one was taken down by Lin, the other landed after capturing her, and I'm pretty sure there are no equalists outside of RC.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)