Legend of Korra

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Legend of Korra

Postby Senel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 pm

It isn't wrong until Tenzin starts touching Korra too.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Princess » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm 100% fine with Tenzin and Lin being in team avatar.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Senel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:19 am

I'm still kind of disappointed there is no weapons expert character in the show yet. Only benders and civilians with electrogloves. Electrobaton guy doesn't count either since he became irrelevant since he was beaten for the first time.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Morpheus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 am

It's nice to see Tenzin getting some more action.
   Poor lin.   

Postby Remni » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:54 am

Senel wrote:I'm still kind of disappointed there is no weapons expert character in the show yet. Only benders and civilians with electrogloves. Electrobaton guy doesn't count either since he became irrelevant since he was beaten for the first time.

You might see that change with Iroh (the new one) coming into the picture. The royal firebenders all seemed to be pretty fluent in weapon use from the first series, with Zuko and his twin swords and such.

But yeah, the ending to today's episode made me sad. Now for the awesome season finale next week.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Princess » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:46 pm

THIS EPISODE. I CANNOT.

MY FEELINGS.

Also, why I can now accept Meelo --> Meelo is the Hulk.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:22 pm

This episode was fantastic, but the finale going to be crazy.
Hell yes battleships.
For the Greater Good

Postby Glahardt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 am

Oh hey, it's Dante Basco.
   Zuko's baby boy    to the rescue.

Postby Princess » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 am

Pretty sure it's his grandson.   

Edit: Picture below is a spoiler:

All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Senel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Zuko's daughter is Fire nations current lord right?
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Princess » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeppers. People are assuming she married Bumi, who is another one of Aang and Katara's children.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Princess » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:40 pm

All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BobSagat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 pm

FUCK MAKO SERIOUSLY FUCK HIM SO FUCKING HARD.

If Korra doesn't call Mako out for being such a flip-flopping two-timing piece of shit, I will destroy Nickelodeon.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:24 am

He's got fingerless gloves, all is forgiven.

AND THAT VOICE ACTOR SOUNDS FAMILIAR, HMMMMMMM?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Princess » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Just gonna leave this here...
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BobSagat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Woah, congrats!

I mean, I take it that's you, right?
2pro

Postby Princess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 am

Yes, hahaha. I'm expecting another one, too.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Senel » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:17 am

Wow,   brothers.   
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby BobSagat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Dumb.

Worst ever.
2pro

Postby Remni » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 pm

I thought it was a pretty good ending. Korra's gone on to be a full fledged Avatar, though that's probably the part I didnt agree with, since she didnt really learn anything at all about the spiritual side, it was all just flat given to her. Curious how it'll play out for the second season though with her being like that.

I did like the ending of the bad guys though.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah, I found that a bit better than Korra's journey, to be honest. Good things just sort of, like, happened. Ended a bit fast too.Still a good finale.
Wonder what the second season will be about though.
For the Greater Good

Postby EagleMan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Well it was originally made to just end there, so that's why it kinda happened a little fast, but it was still pretty good.

Postby BobSagat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 am

Alright, so I'm gonna delve into why this finale was shit and why the whole season in general was shit and why everything shit and why shit fucking shit.

I've really held back until now, I had my odd complaints here and there, but I was willing to wait to the end. I wanted to see if there was redemption in store at the finale.

As usual animation and fights are awesome. There are some really juicy moments too like when the LT finds out about Amon or when the airbenders are brought out tied up.

But then there's everything else.

To begin with, why the fuck was Iroh II there? He was introduced coming into the RC to fight the Equalists and then his whole fleet gets obliterated until he is literally the only one left. We don't see any indication that anyone but him survives and if they did, it doesn't matter because he pretty much solves the "problem" of the biplanes. NOT THAT THE BIPLANES WERE A PROBLEM TO BEGIN WITH. They were only introduced to counter Iroh's arrival and then Iroh's only contribution is to single-handedly counter the counter that was only ever there to counter him and then aiujfoiaj how much of a pointless fucking circlejerk is that?

All this bullshit accomplishes is provide a plot point for "Team Avatar" to split up so Mako and Korra can solve this entire fucking series by themselves because apparently they're the only characters that matter.

They sneak off to find Tarrlok who is in a exposition mood and blabs for a good five minutes to which Korra concludes "That is the saddest story I've ever heard."

Credit to Janet Varney, as stupid as the words are she really lends it as much authenticity as she can.

Can I go back for a moment and comment how fucking idiotic it is that no one stopped Korra when she said that she needed to confront Amon once and for all? I mean, shouldn't someone have said, "WHAT, you want to go into the heart of Equalist forces and fight Amon? Did you not learn a single god damn thing in episode 4? It's not like you've learned airbending or the Avatar State or fucking anything! In fact, I'd say your progress since episode 4 has been ZERO, why on earth do you think that if you couldn't beat Amon when he had about a dozen Equalists you'd be able to beat him now when he's got a whole fucking city of Equalists?"

But as we learn when Korra and Mako crash the rally none of that fucking matters because POOF, suddenly there are no Equalists! Just Amon! The whole stadium of Equalists will sit idly by as Mako unties the airbenders and as Korra stands on a stage of thousands fighting their leader. I mean, I don't actually expect every person in the crowd to start throwing bolas at Korra, but for a gathering that large we only see about six Equalists that aren't Amon and the LT. It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

So they fight and then the whole fandom loses it as Korra loses her bending. But wait! For some inexplicable reason, she's still got airbending!

Okay, I guess that could make some sense we don't really know too much about this bloodbending chi-blocking thing... but she still hasn't used air all season, it's not like she'd be able to just shoot huge typhoons of air or anything, right? NOPE. WHO KNEW THAT TENZIN WAS WASTING HIS FUCKING TIME THIS WHOLE SEASON, TRAINING OR MEDITATING OR ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE FUCK BENDING IS ABOUT MEANS JACK SHIT WHEN YOUR BOY TOY IS IN DANGER. Maybe if Tenzin was 30 years younger, more brooding and in semi-mortal peril, Korra could've learned some shit from him cause apparently that's the only time she can.

I want to reiterate that.

Korra learns jack-shit this whole fucking season. Forget bending, where the fuck is the character development? Her flaws are that she's hot-headed and jumps into the fray. She's a bit naive and doesn't really understand how people can't think bending is the coolest thing ever. In the finale, she rushes to the center of a rally with thousands of enemies, loses her bending and then is crushed to the point where she looks about ready to kill herself. OH NO, I CAN'T BEND. LIKE THE MAJORITY OF THE WORLD. INSTEAD OF PERHAPS REFLECTING THAT I AM MORE THAN JUST BENDING, I WILL CRY A BIT AND BE MISERABLE, BUT THEN HAVE ALL MY PROBLEMS INSTANTLY SOLVED BECAUSE ACCORDING TO AANG THAT'S ALL IT TAKES. Oh yeah and everyone gets their bending back, yay!

The few legitimate points of the Equalist movement is never addressed and the whole thing crumbles as soon as Amon reveals himself like a (convenient) dumbass because apparently revolutions occur only because of one person's craaaazy ambition. I mean it's not like people fucking hated that about the last series, just do it again anyways.

Now, I could actually forgive a lot of this. I really could, I've enjoyed some awful stories if only because I grew to love the characters.

Stop me, if you know where I'm going to go with this. I'm serious, too, you can stop reading this paragraph and skip to the next angry one because I don't think I've seen a single person actually compliment the depth of a single character in this show. I mean, I'm pretty much taking it for granted that everyone knows that these characters are flat as shit and that their so-called "friendship" is fucking nonexistent. None of them have done anything to endear one to the other, the only indication that they have feelings for one another is when they fucking say it. The only connection teenagers can have apparently is in a fucking love triangle. First it was Mako/Korra/Bolin then Bolin gets shafted and the only characters who interact beyond two sentences are Korra/Mako/Asami.

I mean yes, Team Avatar has done stuff together. But have they actually bonded? Connected? Talked about something other than who they love? Try to find a meaningful conversation between any of them that isn't about dating one another. The only one I can think of is Asami and Mako talking in the car and that's when they were dating each other.

Which brings to mind the question, DID MAKO EVER ACTUALLY BREAK UP WITH FUCKING ASAMI? WHAT THE FLYING FUCK. ARE WE JUST SUPPOSED TO TAKE IT FOR GRANTED THAT HE HAS TREATED ASAMI LIKE SHIT? HOW CAN HE NOT GET CALLED OUT FOR BEING AN INDECISIVE PRICK TO BOTH GIRLS? MAKO IS FUCKING INFURIATING BECAUSE HE NEVER GETS HIS COMEUPPANCE, HE'S JUST AN ASSHOLE AND EVERYONE JUST SHRUGS AT THE END AND GOES WHATEVER KORRA LOVES HIM FOR SOME COMPLETELY UNEXPLAINED REASON.

Meanwhile Bolin is being wacky and making us el-oh-el. It certainly is a big ol' joke how utterly useless he is and completely marginal he is not only to the plot, but to Korra's life. Korra literally ignores Bolin outright at every fucking opportunity she gets. The only time she pays him any mind is when Mako rejects her and that's only for about six minutes. This guy is supposed to be in Team Avatar? Her friend? She barely talks to him or even acknowledges his presence and I wouldn't even blame her either because Bolin doesn't add anything at all to Team Avatar beyond his jokes. Not even a fucking personality because his entire personality is just... jokes... cause he's the funny guy. That's it.

So to sum up.

Mako and Bolin are paper-thin caricatures.

Korra's development is non-existent.

The story is stupid and contrived as hell.

This show is shit.
2pro

Postby DaCrum » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:16 am

Valid points, invalid response. At least in my opinion, and I know what you think of my opinion.

The pacing with this season was much too quick. I think the same plot for this season could've been stretched out for 2 seasons, and then there could've been more developed. It seemed like two episodes ago there was certainly more character development than in this episode. I was saddened to see no Avatar state at all except for that cop-out deus ex machina at the end of the episode. The lieutenant was... I hope he develops a bit more, or at least cameos in the next season. I enjoyed the Tarrlok/Amon story, but I don't get the change between Niarlok(I forgot his name) and Amon. Bolin was somewhat useful in this episode, but lately in the series, he just went super lame on us. No development, little dialog beyond comic relief. It's like Korra broke his heart, and then he took some drugs to just clear his mind after it.

I agree with Bob; that fleet was bullshit. I can understand the superiority of the bombers, but to take out an entire fleet with what looked like at most a dozen planes? There were more planes at Pearl Harbor, the ships weren't nearly as prepared, yet there was still a stronger fleet afterwards. I expected a lot more of a fight coming from a fully armed half-armada than what happened. I don't think anyone other than Iroh II and Korra shot down a single plane. That was pretty lame.

Really, I was hoping that she was going to stay without her bending, and then throughout the rest of the series would have to relearn it. Then the books would make sense in a way.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Vegedus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:59 am

I agree that the series has some major pacing issues. It seems to me that they straight up didn't have time to do any character development after the pro-bending because of all the plot tweeeeests and the like. Most obvious with Iroh whom we are apparently supposed to like only because he's Zuko expy, because he manages to have about 10 dialogue lines total, all of which are of the "let's do that". I really wonder why the season wasn't any longer, I'd think they'd certainly have the money for it. Maybe the writers thought it was more important to have stuff happening all the time, rather than properly building up the plot and characters. For instance, the thing about Iroh and his easily defeated army could have been easily justified if like an episode was dedicated to it, so we had time for some more back and forth, instead of just two one-sided battles.

Still enjoyed it immensely, I'm pretty good at ignoring plot holes, but it lost a good deal of the emotional connection it could have had, me thinks.

Favourite seen was Amon and Tarlokk in the boat. Slightly cliché in any other movie, but really wasn't expecting it, given that the show never really kills anyone on-screen.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion