The Toonami Thread

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Toonami Is Officially Back!

Postby Dibullba » Wed May 30, 2012 4:33 am

As an avid subbed anime watcher I regretfully have to say 10 more weeks of what is probably the worst episodes of Bleach. On the bright side the payoff after that is totally worth it so at least get pumped for that. I essentially gave up after the best episode cause I was sick of the fillers they would throw in. I know people argue a lot about Bleach > Naruto or Naruto > Bleach, but I want to make a point using those two real quick. Naruto has fillers just as Bleach does, however majority of the fillers that are used in Naruto at least in some way are bridged with the main plot. Bleach just says screw trying to be creative, give them random filler that is not even close to being as good as the main plot. Fillers can be good, but only when used in an appropriate way. Dragonball Z (not kai) is the best example of that as it had filler in almost every episode, but never really moved away from the main plot.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed May 30, 2012 4:59 am

I remember my favorite DBZ filler episode... DAT SNAKE PRINCESS.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 am

Pabst wrote:I remember my favorite DBZ filler episode... DAT SNAKE PRINCESS.

Let's not forget "Goku takes his Driving Test"!

BTW the Snake Princess episode is a LOT funnier when you see the uncut version (the one where they play Russian Roulette to pass the time"
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed May 30, 2012 6:26 am

I actually just watched that version after remembering it. Unedited anime is so much better... Y U SO LAME AMAERICA?
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Wed May 30, 2012 2:23 pm

The episode where Frieza used that containment ball of energy on Goku was actually a filler episode as well. Would be hard to tell because it is essentially still Goku fighting Frieza. Just the whole episode Frieza has a..... ball... with Goku and he gets out fine even though that seems impossible to get away from.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Pabst wrote:I actually just watched that version after remembering it. Unedited anime is so much better... Y U SO LAME AMAERICA?

Yes, it's always better the orginal way. I want to see Dodoria's decapitatied head rolling around on the ground, Frieza bouncing an impaled Krillin on his horns for a whole episode, and Yamcha, Tien and Piccolo actually getting burials (I'm not sure if this happens on screen. but I do know that part of the post Saiyan battle episode (when they are in the hospital) does involve Gohan and Krilling telling someone where thier bodies are so they can be retreived (Chaotzu cannot be retrived, as his suicide attack obliterated him.) I want death called death, and riceballs called riceballs (In Pokemon, they have been dubbed as hamburgers, donuts and god know what else.)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed May 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Sandwiches. They also had sandwiches.

Personally, they did a fine job with filler in the olden days, or at least with the old anime I remember. Who doesn't want to see Gohan cutting off the tail of a giant dinosaur slab by slab to quench his hunger? He even starts to act a bit carefree like his dad at this point of his training.
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Thu May 31, 2012 3:04 am

This may be due to a lack of decent writers in Japan. They exist, but with anime that use fillers it seems they are not really existent.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Thu May 31, 2012 7:59 am

Pabst wrote:Sandwiches. They also had sandwiches.

Personally, they did a fine job with filler in the olden days, or at least with the old anime I remember. Who doesn't want to see Gohan cutting off the tail of a giant dinosaur slab by slab to quench his hunger? He even starts to act a bit carefree like his dad at this point of his training.

Yes you are right they did call them that (though there are times when they actually ARE eating sandwiches) There was also the Team Rocket "Chinese Food" bit since the concept of Jessie eating Ramen or Soba was apparantly beyond the pale (though thay might have been Chinese food, who knows) To be honest, in the episode with the Chansey that got mugged while carrying groceries (or something like that) I was suprised they called the ham a ham (on the grounds that Japanese hams (which is what they had drawn) look a lot more like bolongnas or salamis than they do like a western ham, they are usually long and cylindrical (I've used quite a lot of them in cooking, as they are a good (and much easier to get) substitute for Chinese chin hwa.)

Yes, Gohan eating the dino's tail piecmeal is funny. However it is beaten in my book from by the bit in Gurren Lagaan where Buta rips his own ass off so he can feed it to Simon. One can only hope pig moles have a lizard like ability to regrow thier tails (he has it back by the next episode, so they probably do)

Postby dj1107 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:52 pm

So Toonami's back really wished they had it at 11 or 8. I mean come on Adult swim you have the other 6 days in a week air King of the hill there. Friend of mine who likes Toonami but hates anime said they should air some american action shows.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm

"American action shows"? Like what?

@ Mon: I loved that bit too. It was so out of nowhere, offering your own ass to feed your friend...
An Optimist

Postby dj1107 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:53 am

Pabst wrote:"American action shows"? Like what?

@ Mon: I loved that bit too. It was so out of nowhere, offering your own ass to feed your friend...

Batman TAS
Transformers
PPG
Samurai Jack
Any of Ben 10 series
Young Justice
shows like that Sure most of those are on another network or on Fridays but some of those would help Toonami alot more. Maybe Symbiotic Titans? That really great show Cartoon network cancelled in favor for Problem Solverz? Yeah I'm still bitter about that. I do wish we got more 90's anime on Toonami it just not the same without it.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 am

Symbionic Titans and Samurai Jack... Those would be awesome to see again.
An Optimist

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 pm

If we're going to have American cartoons in there, then I feel that there needs to be some shows that are more mature. I'm up for a more mature Transformers series. Problem is: The Hub.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby dj1107 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:41 pm

What about Beware of the Batman?

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:31 pm

It's going on the DC block I'm afraid.

I think that now that Toonami's on Adult Swim, shows that suit older audiences would be better. However, I'm aware of Saturday's being Anime nights, and non-anime could be out of the question. If we were to make Saturday a Toonami night by also adding non-cartoons [as] would risk taking Home Movies, King of the Hill, Family Guy, and holy shit, the Boondocks out of the air and on another day. So Saturday is literally a Toonami night. I don't know If that's a good idea, but I'm partly up for it. My concerns about getting cartoons like Ben 10 and Symbiotic Titan is that they're shows that appeal to younger audiences, and [as] is known for broadcasting shows for older audiences. So If we're going to put such cartoons on the block, The Boondocks may have to move to Sunday instead. And since Beware of the Batman's going on a DC block, any DC show shouldn't be on there due to having their own block.

Regarding PPG, Samurai Jack, any of the last Ben 10 series that were broadcast, and any other old show that may fit the block, these shows are the kind that would be showing on the Friday night block Cartoon Planet, which takes shows from the 1990s and the 2000s. This makes chances of any old shows being on Toonami slim, if not, zero percent. But there has to be a non-anime on the block somehow, even If it means moving or taking the shows before Toonami off the air.

Oh, and since Toonami goes from 12:00 - 6:00, I've heard that a user in the Toonami forums proposed having old anime in the 3:00 - 6:00 AM period, leaving six anime shows for [as] to fill in once they have sufficient revenue. It sounds like a great idea, but I have no picks.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:34 pm

What about that Toonami original anime they made, IGPX?
An Optimist

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:46 pm

I liked IGPX. They should make a new series that is more faithful to the micro series because the second one was a racing competition.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Dibullba » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:09 am

Lineup in my view based on business ethics such as holding fan bases and licenses while adding new entertaining shows to a teen through adult audience furthering Toonami's progression:
1. Bleach
2. FMA Brotherhood
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Trigun
5. Deadman Wonderland
6. Boondocks or some sort of non-anime cartoon that is not licensed whether old or new

Explanation for these choices is that the first four of course are under licenses, not to mention the first two have huge fan bases which could further progress Toonami's success. I prefer to go with Trigun over GitS as it can appeal to a wider fanbase and is also licensed with Adult Swim. For the new anime to be added, I figure Deadman Wonderland is the best choice even if other animes could have fit the slot just as well and still could if Toonami gets the ratings it needs. The last slot really should be some sort of American animation, trouble being though that being aimed at an age specific audience and other company licensing makes this incredibly difficult to cover at the moment.

Edit: If anything for the cartoon slot with lacking American style animation, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt would be a decent back up for that position. Would probably not be too troublesome for Adult Swim to gain rights to it since they already have a license to FLCL, both of which are owned by Gainex.

Postby BeeAre » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:33 am

God. If they brought over P&Sw/G, It would at once be wonderful and terrible. I'm all for it.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:49 am

I'd be iffy on that for the possibly ruined voice acting and how much they'd go down on it with censorship. And they use a lot of English (mostly cursing) already in the show, so what will happen with those scenes? Will they be cursing in French? German?
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm

it is alright, they only hate shit lol

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:48 am

Pabst wrote:I'd be iffy on that for the possibly ruined voice acting and how much they'd go down on it with censorship. And they use a lot of English (mostly cursing) already in the show, so what will happen with those scenes? Will they be cursing in French? German?

Now why the fuck would they be cursing in French and German in place of the Engrish?

I now wish Farah Fawcett was alive just so she could voice Panty.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby BeeAre » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:18 am

I've heard some of the dub, and I've gotta say, despite being able to hear that clear "anime voice actor" vibe, they are putting effort into it. It's rather impressive. Some of the curse combinations aren't incredible, but they swear a lot. I like it. :9
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mathias » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:48 pm

I wish I cared about the shows on Toonami now, but they need ratings to get different ones. :(

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)