New Sugar Bits - Back-Up Bravery (5/15/12)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

New Sugar Bits - Back-Up Bravery (5/15/12)

Postby Misery Chord » Tue May 15, 2012 11:39 am

At last, a new page. I'm surprised so much of the entire Braveheart army is out here. It makes me wonder who'd defending the realms of Harmonia.

Re: New Sugar Bits - Back-Up Bravery (5/15/12)

Postby MQuinny1234 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:45 am

I'm hoping for an off-panel scene of Hansel and Cupcake watching wide-eyed as blood spurts up from the side of the panel.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Phawk » Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Hmmm, there's a toaster as a soldier in the 2 picture, wow

Postby punzil504 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

That's one brave little toaster. lol
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Biostar » Tue May 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Dafuq did they come from?! I didn't think Bleedheart would be treated so antagonistically. Isn't this his job?

I recognize the Brave Little Toaster and I think thats Olivia from the Great Mouse Detective. Are there anymore references?

Postby MQuinny1234 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:54 pm

If death showed up to try and take one of your friends, and you could, or at least thought you could, stop him, wouldn't you?
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Biostar » Tue May 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Well if said friend was already dead, I wouldn't cry too much over the body, unless I knew I could get him/her back. Still not sure on the specifics of his role.

Was there this much fuss when he took Ginger's mom?

Postby MQuinny1234 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Hmm, may be something to do with how licorice set this up then.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Biostar wrote:Dafuq did they come from?! I didn't think Bleedheart would be treated so antagonistically. Isn't this his job?

I recognize the Brave Little Toaster and I think thats Olivia from the Great Mouse Detective. Are there anymore references?

I'd say the black feathered bird in the 2nd panel (with the scar over one eye) might be Deadeye Duck from Bucky O' Hare, except if it is, he's short 2 arms (unless they are below the angle of the shot).
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mockingjay » Tue May 15, 2012 5:00 pm

I think the dog girl is a reference
Some Defy Men, I Defy Gods

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue May 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Mockingjay wrote:I think the dog girl is a reference

The dog is a boy I think; those are his ears not his hair. Plus, with a girl, Bleed probably wouldn't be able to get away with nothing on the bottom. Unless you mean the girl in Panel #2, in which case, I think that's a cat.

Also while I agree that the Mouse could be Olivia Flavisham, given the fact she is using a needle for a sword, she might also be Mallymkun (from the Tim Burton Alice)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mockingjay » Tue May 15, 2012 5:36 pm

well then, the cat girl seems to be a reference, yet I can't remember what too.
Some Defy Men, I Defy Gods

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue May 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Mockingjay wrote:well then, the cat girl seems to be a reference, yet I can't remember what too.

She looks a Tiny (and I mean TINY, wrong hair length, wrong coat color) bit like the female in Cats Don't Dance. There also seems to be a bit of Yoroichi from Bleach in her (again only a tiny bit). And the color scheme is a touch Zoroark (just realized she has almost the reverse of Robin's color sceme, black (well dark grey) fur, red hair.) Oh, and I applaud Bleed for getting the drape of her pants right (getting in the folds over the backwards bend one would get with a digigrade leg.)

Postby Duke of MaskS » Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Cute little toaster... :mrgreen:
MQuinny1234:You're prancing around with V's mask on, I thought you'd be happy with that.

Delia Surridge: You've come to kill me, haven't you?
V: Yes.
Delia Surridge: Thank God.

Oh and please read my first literature post. Feel free to bash me and whatnot...:D
http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50149

Location: In a floating blue planet at space I'd like to call, "Bob"

Postby King_Kazma123 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:54 pm

so the BraveHearts are made up of a bunch of animal people, a toaster, a gingerbread man, and what ever the heck Brave is.

although i don't think that all of them, just a large squad...possibly the elite members.

Postby Venus » Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Finally a page update.
When Bleedheart took Ginger's mother it may have made what the Brave Hearts want to protect from. Or perhaps if they did make such a deal back when Ginger's mother died, then perhaps this is another thing the BraveHearts have always been protecting from.

That parrot might be a refence to the book "The Brave Little Parrot". I don't recall if said Parrot was green or not, it's also not a real known book, so probably not.

Postby PP-Grim1013 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:01 am

Biostar wrote:Dafuq did they come from?! I didn't think Bleedheart would be treated so antagonistically. Isn't this his job?

lol - "Flaversham!" -- "Whatever~" :mrgreen:
- Anyways, that cat in panel two... "Treasure Planet"?
*Castella Sky*
"Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality"
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 2406 5651 2352 - Tatsuki✩[/color]

Postby Venus » Wed May 16, 2012 12:13 am

lol - "Flaversham!" -- "Whatever~" :mrgreen:
- Anyways, that cat in panel two... "Treasure Planet"?

I do believe the cat from Treasure Planet had much shorter hair.

Postby Blasphemy » Wed May 16, 2012 1:16 am

It's nice to see a page update.

Anyway, as much as I wish that the mouse was a reference to Olivia Flaversham (as she is from one of my all time favorite Disney movies), I honestly don't think that is quite her, mainly due to the "hair tassel" she has on the side of her head.

This is Olivia:

Comparing those two pictures to the mouse in the comic, it doesn't really make me think that's her. Bleed may have purposely changed her looks for the comic, though.

I think the dog is definitely a reference though because he looks awfully familiar. I just can't place it. The cat girl may just be a cat girl, not anyone in particular. And of course, the toaster is a direct reference to The Brave Little Toaster.

I'm really hoping there won't be another 3 year fight.

EDIT: On top of the Amelia (cat woman from Treasure Planet) having a different hairstyle, her fur was a different color entirely:

Forgot to add that.
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
-Henri Poincare

Tumblrs: Personal|Pokemon X Adventure Challenge|Pokemon Y Adventure Challenge
Maid of Nope

Postby Dibullba » Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 am

Better question that comes to mind, why are their references in this comic anyways? I can understand small things like the Gingerbread man crossing the river, but these similar looking cameo characters just seem unnecessary. PPG is built on references these days, just please tell me Bleedman has not given up on plot and character development all together by using references in all his comics.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed May 16, 2012 6:14 am

Blasphemy wrote:It's nice to see a page update.

Anyway, as much as I wish that the mouse was a reference to Olivia Flaversham (as she is from one of my all time favorite Disney movies), I honestly don't think that is quite her, mainly due to the "hair tassel" she has on the side of her head.

This is Olivia:

Comparing those two pictures to the mouse in the comic, it doesn't really make me think that's her. Bleed may have purposely changed her looks for the comic, though.

If it is meant to be Olivia (and I am not saying it is) I think Bleed is trying to give us an Olivia several years older than she was in The Great Mouse Detective, possibly one who is in her late teens or even her early twenties (I know she is quite small compared to most of the Bravehearts, but so is Bo and come to think of it Hansel both of whom are presumaby no longer children. And wouldn't a mouse be on the small side anyway?) Olivia then had hair decoration (a bow, if I recall correctly) so an older version who had let her hair grow out might very well have developed those loops. The problem is that there isn't really anything definitive. The fur color is similar, but there are only so many colors a mouse can be. The clothes are similar, but that simply seems to be the standard Braveheart uniform Though there may be significance in the fact that she chose that version. It seems that whether a Braveheart wears pants, a skirt/kilt or nothing at all on thier bottom half is up to the individual, regardless of gender, as we now have a female Braveheart that is wearing pants (unless the grey cat is in fact a boy with unusually long hair and feminine eyes). It also doesn't help to refute the allusion that the mouse seems to be the only member of the braveheart cadre who is wearing socks and, presumably, shoes (her feet are out of shot, but given this is Bleed we are talking about I'd say the likeyhood that those mouse feet are encased in a pair of black Mary Janes is almost certain)

Postby PP-Grim1013 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Mon-Kitsune's posts always make me smile~ ^w^

It is entirely possible that Olivia would've grown her hair out in her later years, and the bow on her left ear is wear said grown hair is in this page.

That big fellow in the first panel (large, human-looking; with a small head) also looks REALLY familiar...
*Castella Sky*
"Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality"
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 2406 5651 2352 - Tatsuki✩[/color]

Postby Grieffon » Wed May 16, 2012 6:54 pm

The glow on king's leg in the 1st panel looks robotic. Perhaps that's how he can wear that human-shaped armor despite his physique?

Postby imaninjer » Fri May 18, 2012 11:16 pm

I still can't get over the toaster! Ha!
When life hands me lemons, I wait for the apples and ribeyes to have a good old fashioned hoe-down!
"Writing is an accepted form of schitzofrenia"- E.L. Doctorow
"An eye for an eye leaves the world blind" -ghandi, the biggest badass of them all

Postby magicks » Sat May 19, 2012 1:17 am

The Duck is Abby, the duck from chicken little.
The toaster is Obviously the Brave little Toaster.
I dunno about the others.

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)