Legend of Korra

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Legend of Korra

Postby BobSagat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:10 pm

"Disagree"

It's hard to believe that they wouldn't be a society of some sort considering the backgrounds they come from and the distance between them. Master Pakku - The NWT strongest waterbender - is not gonna come down all the way from the North Pole just to meet with some people who share his political ideas. He trusts them enough to go all the way to Ba Sing Se and partake in an invasion force, just the same way Piandao is willing to come all the way from the heart of the Fire Nation. There was serious planning, organization and trust involved in pulling together all these well-known masters. I don't think anyone could mistake that as just some military alliance.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Glahardt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Again, how would people recognize them in the first place?
Sure Bumi, Iroh and Piandao are famous figures, but then again, you have to remember, this is pretty much ancient China. People might know their reputation, but not their faces.
Pakku maybe a master, but considering how little contact the North Water Tribe had with the rest of the world, especially the Fire Nation, they probably never heard about him. Also you have to remember that the South Water Tribe invaded the capital of the Fire Nation. It does make the Water Tribe's involvement in general seem more plausible.
Jeong Jeong is famous for what? Being a deserter. And honestly, that means Iroh is in the same boat since both he and Zuko were being hunted as traitors previously.

Postby BobSagat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:53 am

Along with all their other accomplishments, they're famous for being masters. I can only imagine that there are very few people who fit into the classification of short, stout and greying master firebender.

This was a group of a hundred or so people, every one a master of their element or art. The convening of that many powerful people can't be dismissed as mere coincidence.
2pro

Postby Rival » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 pm

A visual metaphorical representation of this verbal back and forth struggle between Bob and Glah, about this "serious business" White Lotus issue:

central panel=Bob left guy, Glah right guy
all other panels=people lurking this thread

AIKI chapter 54.   

P. S. Seriously though, maybe they simply decided that since the various nations are no longer living seperated there's no more need for secrecy? The organization was probably secret to begin with, because influential people in the Fire Nation having friends in the Earth Kingdom or Water Tribe and vice versa, would be seen as treason. Now that the world of the setting is "united" they no longer have to worry about any of their members getting executed for collaborating with the enemy, so they dropped the secrecy.

That's my explanation anyway. I don't think it's very important. Always thought the whole two season build-up for the White Lotus ended up being pretty silly, since all they did in the finale was liberating Ba Sing Se by defeating a bunch of flunkies, which Iroh could've done easily later with Aang and Zuko. And had Aang and Zuko died, that liberation would've been pretty fucking pointless. Bunch of oriental fantasy masons, if you ask me. Though I like Iroh and Paku.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Glahardt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Shut up you.

Again, let's go back to Iroh and Jeong Jeong being labeled as traitors... Even if they are recognized, it's not unusual for traitors to ally themselves to the opposing forces.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Doesn't seem like it matters much.
While not secret though, doesn't seem like their terribly public now, unless I missed something. Just that Aang tasked them with finding, training and protecting the Avatar.
For the Greater Good

Postby BobSagat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Oh cool, so we're 4chan now? Interpret it however you want.

Glahardt wrote:Again, let's go back to Iroh and Jeong Jeong being labeled as traitors... Even if they are recognized, it's not unusual for traitors to ally themselves to the opposing forces.

I mean, yeah sure. But like... my point still stands. The gathering of that many masters from so many different areas of the world takes too much planning, coordination and trust as to merely be a temporary alliance.

Always thought the whole two season build-up for the White Lotus ended up being pretty silly, since all they did in the finale was liberating Ba Sing Se by defeating a bunch of flunkies, which Iroh could've done easily later with Aang and Zuko. And had Aang and Zuko died, that liberation would've been pretty fucking pointless.

I had pretty much the same complaint. It makes so much more sense to wait until the comet passes and just clean house, then.

Not to say the finale wasn't epic, but the more you thought about it, the stupider it was.
2pro

Postby EagleMan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 am

Meelo was pretty stupid. I hope the show just sort of forgets about him. The daughters were great though. Great show otherwise.

I hope the pro bending thing doesn't really become central to the show.. though it seems like it will. It just seems too weak of a concept for that. The 2 episodes here is fine, but yeah.

Postby Glahardt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 am

Nobody knows what they did before they came to Ba Sing Se.
Trust can be built.
And each leader/figure would at least have their own networks.

Postby Remni » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm

EagleMan wrote:Meelo was pretty stupid. I hope the show just sort of forgets about him. The daughters were great though. Great show otherwise.

I hope the pro bending thing doesn't really become central to the show.. though it seems like it will. It just seems too weak of a concept for that. The 2 episodes here is fine, but yeah.

Actually I believe a good part of the first season is supposed to involve the pro-bending, according to what the season preview stated. I dont mind it honestly, but I'm hoping that it wont be involved in too many episodes in reality.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby BobSagat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Actually, episode 5 and 6 are confirmed to be the episodes where most of the probending take place. Episode 6 is going to be the end of the tournament.

I mean, they might play in another tourney or something, but I kinda doubt it.

Episode titles:
http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre ... =25&HIST=1

Glahardt wrote:Nobody knows what they did before they came to Ba Sing Se.
Trust can be built.

kindalikeasecretsociety
2pro

Postby Spoopy Princess » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm actually kind of curious on the story for the second season. Obviously things aren't going to be wrapped up with Amon, but I'd love to see what else they're going to include.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Glahardt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:48 pm

BobSagat wrote:
Glahardt wrote:Nobody knows what they did before they came to Ba Sing Se.
Trust can be built.

kindalikeasecretsociety

As in
1. They could've prepared their little army and contacted each other in this time.
2. Trust can be built without having existing relationship/connection in place.
3. Their own networks as in knowing people in their nations that disagrees with the current government.

Postby BobSagat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 am

So it's a network of people from across the world who share similar ideology and possess a great deal of military and political might, but don't really advertise their existence to the common man?

Because I'm pretty sure that's called a secret society.
2pro

Postby Glahardt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:36 pm

As in within their own ranks.
People they know personally or professionally. That sort of network.
You don't call a bunch of friends a secret society just because it's not common knowledge that they know each other and/or share a common interest/ideal.

Postby Kkeellaacc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:I'm actually kind of curious on the story for the second season. Obviously things aren't going to be wrapped up with Amon, but I'd love to see what else they're going to include.

Has it been confirmed that there is going to be a second season and/or at least talking about it?
Signature Under Construction

Postby Morpheus » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:04 pm

I think it was confirmed at the San Diego Comic Con.

Postby Spoopy Princess » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Yup, it's confirmed.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Calek wrote:
Stufflikehearts wrote:I'm actually kind of curious on the story for the second season. Obviously things aren't going to be wrapped up with Amon, but I'd love to see what else they're going to include.

Has it been confirmed that there is going to be a second season and/or at least talking about it?

What they said above, but keep in mind that's only a 12 episode 1st season and 14 episode long 2nd season.

So 2 seasons of Korra will only be longer by 6 episodes, than a single season of Airbender.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby EagleMan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Then after that, another series with a spacefaring avatar, since they live a long time.

Water, Earth, Fire, Air. Space.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:55 pm

The greeks called it the aether. Makes sense. Except that it doesn't exist.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Glahardt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:01 pm

First 2 episodes are now free on iTunes!
Get you one!

Postby Kkeellaacc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 pm

I knew about the series being extended to 24 or 26 episodes or whatever, but not it being split into two seasons. That makes a bit more sense.
Signature Under Construction

Postby BeeAre » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 am

The fifth element is always spirit, ether, or Ma-Ti with the power of Heart.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Remni » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 am

So series gets underway tomorrow. Granted it'll just be what we've all already watched, but Korra's awesome demands to be watched.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion