New Grim Tales 3/25/12 - Junior's Rescue Shelter

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: New Grim Tales 3/25/12 - Junior's Rescue Shelter

Postby superjp164 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 pm

No it doesn't, it just save us discussing what Mandy and Jr. said to each other. I personally like the little translation and you gotta ask yourself if there was no translation would you really have like people complaining "I think Mandy said this..." or " No Jr. said that..." and eventually lead to people cursing at each other over a simple demon language >:(

Postby Biostar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm

A translation here or there isn't going to ruin the nergal language, especially when it's not that obvious or important what the characters are saying. It wasnt said that non-nergals couldn't learn the language.

Has junior been shown capable of English in nergal form?

Postby Imosa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:23 am

Aszhasal wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the third panel is mind-boggingly bad?

1. Mandy can talk the Nergal language? What? How? It doesn't make sense.
2. The translation makes the Nergal language dialogue bubbles redundant. You could've put the normal speech and it would've still worked fine. Or just don't put the translation, don't you think it would've been much more interesting if we didn't know what Mandy and Jr said to each other? And to make matters worse...
3. ...you've just killed the charm of Nergal language. I liked how the language was mysterious, I liked how dialogues weren't made with normal words but subtle images which implied what characters said. That translation ruins the magic.
1. Why does it not make sense?
2&3. I've been torn on what to think of this new approach to the Nergal chatter. Here is how I see it. I totally like the idea of the Nergal chatter begin unreadable to the reader. Creatures like Nergal must communicate whole different kinds of ideas so it would make sense if their language was completely foreign to us. At the same time I do like it when we can understand them a little, like with the heart here. What I can not stand is when the chatter becomes blatantly obvious and unartistic like here. I think Bleedman should just not try conveying complex ideas and instead stick to some emotions (that is don't make every bit of chatter look like an emotion, but every once in a while).

Postby Blossom Warrior » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 am

I think
She learned English by uncle Negal
I am a boy
Fan: Grime Tales and PPGD
And I use google translate.
I'm sorry

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 am

Well, if people are going to keep on bitching about this, I should add that we have no idea what the Nergal language sounds like, except I'm betting it sounds "organic" at least, and it could depend a lot on context, be partly mental, hand signals, shapes, smells, or maybe the entire language is evolving with time.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Duke of MaskS » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am

MQuinny1234 wrote:Well, if people are going to keep on bitching about this, I should add that we have no idea what the Nergal language sounds like, except I'm betting it sounds "organic" at least, and it could depend a lot on context, be partly mental, hand signals, shapes, smells, or maybe the entire language is evolving with time.

How about a Snake like-Husky sound? Everytime I imagine them talking this pops in my mind...
MQuinny1234:You're prancing around with V's mask on, I thought you'd be happy with that.

Delia Surridge: You've come to kill me, haven't you?
V: Yes.
Delia Surridge: Thank God.

Oh and please read my first literature post. Feel free to bash me and whatnot...:D
http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50149

Location: In a floating blue planet at space I'd like to call, "Bob"

Postby Imosa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 pm

MQuinny1234 wrote:Well, if people are going to keep on bitching about this, I should add that we have no idea what the Nergal language sounds like, except I'm betting it sounds "organic" at least, and it could depend a lot on context, be partly mental, hand signals, shapes, smells, or maybe the entire language is evolving with time.
Well Mandy doesn't have eyes in the back of her head so if there is a subtle somatic component, Mandy missed it. I also feel like telepathy is not something you can just pick up (at least I would be annoyed if Mandy turned out to be telepathic). As for smell... maybe.
Have we ever seen two Nergals talk to each other? I don't recall ever seeing that and it makes sense because Nergals can probably just fuse together and share all their thoughts. If this is true it makes things very interesting because Nergals would have developed their language only for the convenience of others.
I always imagined that the lines are mostly hisses and long exhales and the circles are clicks or pops. I imagine that creating a set of vocal chords would be troublesome for Nergals.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Have we ever seen two Nergals talk to each other?

Jr and Minnie did at the end of the first arc.

Postby Imosa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:50 pm

Blood Lord wrote:
Have we ever seen two Nergals talk to each other?

Jr and Minnie did at the end of the first arc.
Minnie wasn't a nergal at that point. No, there is this though. Maybe communication between Nergals isn't that simple.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Hmm...Here's something. The original Nergal demon was, Nergal, meaning the language is his own creation probably, depending on how he came about.

And, he's a bit of a stupid ass at times, so I wouldn't put it past him to do something like that with the middle finger. And since all Nergal demons seem to have some sort of connection, I wouldn't be surprised if it was some psychic thing, I mean, we heard the Nergal demons when they crawled into Jr.

Plus, he may have had to expand the language over time and especially since now more people speak it.

It's really just plain odd that Nergal demons have their own language.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:06 pm

MQuinny1234 wrote:Hmm...Here's something.
It's really just plain odd that Nergal demons have their own language.

Not at all. Just becuse Nergal was a Nergal doesn't mean that he was the ONLY Nergal. In fact the fact that there are all these rules (the right eye transfer for power, the left eye one for marriage) argues pretty strongly that he isn't.
As for why they need a language of thier own, that's easily explicable as well. Nergals are shapeshifters, so they'd need a language that was intellegible when spoken out of a variety of mouths and vocal chord arrangements. Human languages have the limiting quality of needing human larynxes and human mouths to be spoken. It's a bit like the reason why (in some of my own fantasy writing) I gave the Tengu Tenguspeak for use amongst themselves, it occured to me that Japanese, English or any other human tounge wasn't ideal for creatures that in 2 out of their three basic forms have beaks, not lips.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:14 pm

That's one of the reasons I was saying it was part telekinetic and depending on context, the shapeshifting.

And what I mean was that he was the original.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Pointy Ears » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Not at all. Just becuse Nergal was a Nergal doesn't mean that he was the ONLY Nergal. In fact the fact that there are all these rules (the right eye transfer for power, the left eye one for marriage) argues pretty strongly that he isn't.
As for why they need a language of thier own, that's easily explicable as well. Nergals are shapeshifters, so they'd need a language that was intellegible when spoken out of a variety of mouths and vocal chord arrangements.

Agreed. Nergal himself isn't representative of all the other Nergals out there, despite being the original.

I honestly think the exchange between Mandy and Jr. was partially for humor, partially to reveal that Mandy is more eclectic than we thought she was.

Another thing to note, if Mandy didn't know Nergal then Jr would have responded to her retort in English, but he didn't, meaning that he already knew she knows the language. He spoke to Redeemer in English earlier in the comic when he transformed for the first time, remember?

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:54 pm

MQuinny1234 wrote:That's one of the reasons I was saying it was part telekinetic and depending on context, the shapeshifting.

And what I mean was that he was the original.

are you sure you don't mean "telepathic"?. "Telekinetic" means being able to mover things with your mind, so I'm not sure how it would help with a language (unless you were say, using you telekinesis to move the person's ear drums back and forth creating a sort of "soundless sound"

And what I meant was that Nergal himself may not be the "original" Nergal, just a Nergal. The complexites of Nergal society seem to indicate that there may be (or, at least, were) many Negal Demons at one time, and Nergal Sr. may simpy be either the last survivor or the only one we have met (Come to think of it, there is no reason to assume that the race are actually called "Nergal demons". Nergal could might just use to make explantions of things like how to use the powers simpler and boost his ego ("I am the very model of a modern demon Nergalish....") If he was the orginal, the pool of demons would in essence be 4 (Nergal Sr, Nergal Jr., Formely Minnie and now Grim Jr.) That would mean that Minnie would have been the first to use the power transfer EVER and NO ONE had ever used the marriage trick, so how would Nergal Sr. have known what it was?
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Crap, yeah, telepathic.

Also, he has those little demon things he can make, as we saw in the show when he started turning everyone all black with green outlines.

I was just under the impression that he's basically their god as the original Nergal in culture is an underworld god.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Imosa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:35 pm

MQuinny1234 wrote:Crap, yeah, telepathic.

Also, he has those little demon things he can make, as we saw in the show when he started turning everyone all black with green outlines.

I was just under the impression that he's basically their god as the original Nergal in culture is an underworld god.
Now hold on. If the Nergal language has a telepathic component. How come Mandy can speak it. Also, for your example of telepathic ability you cited when the Nergals went INTO junior. Nergals are symbiotic, if they invade someone's brain they can communicate with their host directly, no telepathy needed.
Are you talking about this?

Postby PP-Grim1013 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Duke of MaskS wrote:

How about a Snake like-Husky sound? Everytime I imagine them talking this pops in my mind...

Agreeing with Duke, and... adding on - just in my head here - I imagine a touch of the weird, deathly sound we get from Imhotep in "The Mummy" (Brenden Fraser movie)
*Castella Sky*
"Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality"
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 2406 5651 2352 - Tatsuki✩[/color]

Postby Blossom Warrior » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:38 am

Nergal language.
Is simply a genuine comic language.
Written with his own.
For I imagine that :?
I am a boy
Fan: Grime Tales and PPGD
And I use google translate.
I'm sorry

Postby Masterius » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Pain is the most pussy whipped (or should that be Mandy whipped?) excuse for a guard I've ever seen. And he's supposed to be the Guard Commander? Sheesh! :vomit:
Sundered Sisters: a PPG fanfic
Last Update: 03/31/2012

comments and critiques welcomed

Image Image Image

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:52 pm

I think he's really just used to keep up the front, knock out the riff-raff and to slow down anyone who is an actual threat while he sets off the alarm, plus he's crazy loyal which is a good trait in employees.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby iLuvWMGs » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Can you really blame him lol? Mandy must have put him through lots of things to turn him into such a pussy...
Given how she is, she is capable of doing that even to Chuck Norris.
Some colors simply cannot be seen without seeing the color of pain first
dA username iLuvWMGs (kinda like my online handle now). Pretty dead but hey, I will get on it soon

Postby KingM10 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm pretty sure he's always been like that, even before he meet Mandy. remember he was the same way with Grim.

Postby Imosa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:37 pm

iLuvWMGs wrote:Can you really blame him lol? Mandy must have put him through lots of things to turn him into such a pussy...
Given how she is, she is capable of doing that even to Chuck Norris.
Why would Mandy try to turn Pain into a pussy? He's still a good guard, and, like MQuinny said,a good employee.

Postby iLuvWMGs » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Just bouncing random theories like I have always been doing...
Some colors simply cannot be seen without seeing the color of pain first
dA username iLuvWMGs (kinda like my online handle now). Pretty dead but hey, I will get on it soon

Previous

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)