Legend of Korra

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Legend of Korra

Postby Remni » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:33 am

So for those that dont know, the new Avatar series starts in April, but the home site http://www.korranation.com/ already has the first 2 episodes available to those that want to watch it. Happy to say that it's got the same feel as the original so far.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Re: Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:12 am

Keep in mind the episodes are only available for people in the US, and there's also two trailers on there. One that's one of those cheesy "PREVIOUS, AVATAR AANG SAVED THE WORLD" and such, and then the next is a preview for this season of Korra.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BobSagat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:23 am

KORRA'S AWESOME CAN NOT BE CONTAINED. BLEW MY GOD DAMN MIND.

In my second viewing, my browser crashed when Korra was showing off her guns. Her fucking biceps made my internet explode, it's fucking true.

That second episode has gotten me thoroughly fucking PUMPED for the rest of the season. THIS FOUR-WEEK WAIT IS GOING TO BE RIDICULOUS. IT WILL BE HELL. PURE MIND-FLAYING HELL.

But the honey at the end of the tunnel will be so fucking sweet.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Princess » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:26 am

Ikki is a troll.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BobSagat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:38 am

Well, I wouldn't really be happy with just a quick flashback or Katara just coming out and saying it, so it's for the better.

And Meelo is like a million times worse. I seriously think he is retarded. Have you seen his head?
2pro

Postby Princess » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:39 am

They're apparently telling us about Ursa in those Promise comics.

And yeah, I think Meelo is a waste of character.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Glahardt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:00 am

Don't quite like the fact that    White Lotus    is no longer a    secret society    and than    metal bending    is no longer    unique to Toph.   
But then again the latter can    techlically be passed down...   

Postby Vegedus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:35 am

Someone's been sleeping around...

Having not watched a lot of previews, I'm surprised at just how advanced republic city is. Like, 1930s New York is it? Another way this series captures the spirit of the old one: Being very, very blatant with it's inspirations, but still mixing them up in an interesting way.

Also, is his name seriously bowlin'?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Remni » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:28 am

Baulin I believe is how it's spelled.

And the setting is more like 1920's steampunk-ish. Then again, the Fire Nation from the original series was very steampunk-ish, so I imagine that Republic City has adopted more of Fire Nation's setup than anything else.

Also, Korra is absolute badass.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby BobSagat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:43 pm

It's Bolin.

And how would the OWL stay a secret society after they mobilized as an actual army and took back Ba Sing Se?
2pro

Postby Jonathon Redley » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Vegedus wrote:Having not watched a lot of previews, I'm surprised at just how advanced republic city is. Like, 1930s New York is it? Another way this series captures the spirit of the old one: Being very, very blatant with it's inspirations, but still mixing them up in an interesting way.

70 years is a long time.

Imagine the advances made in OUR world between the 1850s and the 1920s, during the Industrial Revolution.

In the first show, we already had ironclads, giant drills, tanks, and working zeppelins. With the ability to bend added to the mix, industrial and scientific advancements aren't so far-fetched, given how the end of the war and the work of Aang and Zuko promoted the (peaceful) intermingling of previously segregated cultures and nationalities. Couple all this with the Fire Nation's previously-established technological base, and you have a potent mix.

Word of God is that the show is set during the Avatar universe's equivalent of the Roaring Twenties...so no, Republic City's advanced look is not that surprising.

And everything in BobSaget's first post is absolutely true.

This show is gonna be A-MAY-ZAAAAAAA.
Quote of the Moment
Nix wrote:Forget constructive dialog, debate or differing points of view; from now on I think we should all just throw shoes whenever we disagree with somebody. That's what civilized, responsible people do. Eat shoe, political detractors!

Postby Vegedus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm not saying it's a problem or unrealistic in the least. I'm just surprised.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Yeah, it's kinda of odd, but it's not anything terrible. Kinda neat.
For the Greater Good

Postby Senel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm far more interested in Zuko's mother than Korra. I wanted to smack that brat for stopping the flashback.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby BobSagat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:27 pm

Jesus, chill out bro.
2pro

Postby Vegedus » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 am

I rather liked that joke. Deliberately jerking the chain of the community a little bit.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:08 am

It's just telling to buy the friggin' comic.

Mmm hmm... I think I'm having a crush on Korra...
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Glahardt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:46 am

BobSagat wrote:And how would the OWL stay a secret society after they mobilized as an actual army and took back Ba Sing Se?
Because they could very well pass as a bunch of really good/experienced resistance fighters? I mean, really. They didn't exactly march is screaming their names.

Postby BobSagat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:16 pm

A group of resistance fighters using all three elements and wearing their White Lotus clothes.

Just the three elements bit should suggest that this isn't just a resistance group.
2pro

Postby Glahardt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:04 pm

It's just a uniform, they could claim to be anyone and you'd have to take their word for it or make up whatever you want. And there's no internet and photos to spread that around. They could just decide to disappear and nobody would ever know who they were. Heck Iroh is probably the only gut the soldiers/locals would recognize. Furthermore, considering the fact that this is pretty much ancient China, it's not unlikely that the people don't recognize them from their looks.
Is it really that hard to believe that a bunch of military masterminds come together to overthrow a government that they disagree with? The fact that they came from different backgrounds doesn't seem all that relevant. However unlikely it is... Still possible.
Which is my point.

Postby BobSagat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Okay so everyone in Ba Sing Se is going to know that a bunch of bending masters and other military masterminds banded together to help overthrow the Fire Nation. But because they don't want anyone to know that they're OWL they just say they're the Order of Black Trees and get everybody in Ba Sing Se to agree to never mention the OBT.

How ridiculous is that.

It doesn't matter what they're called, it's functionally the same if everyone knows that there is a secret society of elite benders and soldiers. At that point, they might as well come out with it.
2pro

Postby Vegedus » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Does this matter? The writers decided they wanted them to no longer be a secret organization. It's seems to me to be a moot point whether they could have remained secret.

Postby Glahardt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:55 pm

BobSagat wrote:It doesn't matter what they're called, it's functionally the same if everyone knows that there is a secret society of elite benders and soldiers. At that point, they might as well come out with it.
Or they could just... Disappear? Being an urban legend is almost as good as being completely secret. And I'm just going to stress the lack of communication once again. If a bunch of (non-secret-society) experienced warriors coming together just to overthrow the government is as unbelievable as you said, if they retreated as quickly as they attacked, it shouldn't be too much trouble to cover their tracks. Sure people would talk about it, but it would eventually die down, with the lack of proof and all.
Vegedus wrote:Does this matter? The writers decided they wanted them to no longer be a secret organization. It's seems to me to be a moot point whether they could have remained secret.
It didn't matter before Bob tried to challenge my opinion though.

Postby BobSagat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:17 am

"tried to challenge my opinion"

lol, overdramatic, much?

This isn't like forgetting who it was that picked up your phone for you. This is D-Day level of big. A huge battle occurred in the retaking in the most sought-after prize in the hundred-year-war. Not only the resident citizens, but all the Fire Nation soldiers there will be able to attest that they were attacked by master-level firebenders, waterbenders and earthbenders. No way is anyone gonna mistake that for just some ordinary resistance group. It would take serious planning involved to be able to organize those people from all over the world. With such an important battle and with such a powerful group, the history books wouldn't be forgetting the retaking of Ba Sing Se anytime soon.
2pro

Postby Glahardt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 am

You got a better non-smartassy word for it?

Also, really. What makes the (non-secret-society) military alliance so damn unbelievable to you? Because they're all experienced?

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion