searching for the best art programs

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

searching for the best art programs

Postby mattjoe2000 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:05 pm

it's funny that this day and age that most art is done on the computer. so i would like too get my hands on it, but my question is what's the best programs to use?? i draw traditionally on pencil and paper, and my art is character designs if that helps on finding what would work best. thanks for your help guys :D

Re: searching for the best art programs

Postby Aszhasal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:30 am

The most popular programs are Photoshop and Painter. PS is primarily designed as a photo editing tool but it is also great as a program for making art. Painter on the other hand is primarily an art tool and unlike PS its main feature is simulation of traditional media, like oil paints and pencils. There are also some free ones like OpenCanvas V1something.

The program doesn't matter, except that you don't want to use something really simple, like Paint. The most important "program" are your own hands because they are the main source from which good art comes. So the best advice I can give you is to do research, download trial versions and see what suits you best.
Bleedman's message to his fans:
Get a life.

Postby mattjoe2000 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:30 pm

thanks for the help :D

Postby hasunn » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:17 am

for beginners i would suggest that you use Photoshop first or painter because it is much easier to use and navigate around the program to make use of the different function. It is suggested that you do some thorough practice on it first because it will really take a lot of adjustments as it really feels different on the computer and its much more difficult to put on the details as compared to pen and paper style.

goodluck! hope to see your work posted soon!

Postby mattjoe2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:11 am

thanks for the help :)

Postby Alopumpkin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:33 am

Not very good with digital art, and im more of a traditional sort of person too. :o But the program I use is Sumo Paint, and I find it pretty easy to work with.
Lord Soth: ^ That one does have a fascination in making people more sparkly.
Sable: And here I thought the sparkles you added to everything was cocaine.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not much of a punk.

Return to Art