Mass Effect 3

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Mass Effect 3

Postby Glahardt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:03 am

I know.
Still doesn't make them any less of a potential couple though.

Postby Remni » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:22 pm

I find the setup with EDI and Joker to be one of the more hilarious relationships. All the jokes she learns from him that scare the hell out of Shepard, really makes it one of the better ones.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Vegedus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:10 pm

I shot that down so hard. My gruff, realist Shepard don't want Joker to date a fucking computer. She pretty much made the point herself: Just because she has a physical avatar now, people treat her like a real person. Just because she has a physical avatar, we must now sex her up. Really?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Remni » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Actually she's not treated any different than normal except for the fact that she can interact on a more personal level now with the body. What you hear out of both of them is different than what you might expect if you'd actually gone through with it.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Glahardt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Time for more [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fp1H-FYPmY"]unnecessary censorship[/url].
Again, spoilers. Not a lot though.

Postby BobSagat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:44 am

Love the Jack one.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Asmodai » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 am

Hahaha the EDI one xD

Speaking of Jack,    I just read that if you don't do the Grissom Academy mission, you'll encounter her again in the Cerberus base as a Phantom.   
Mephobiac

Postby Remni » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 am

The whole thing was pretty damn funny.

@Asmo -    Same thing happens if you gave Legion over to Cerberus in ME2. He'll show up as Legion Assassin in the same mission.   
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Vegedus » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:36 pm

So I'm done. Completed it. With all side-quest done too, to boot, except for a couple that were locked a way in my haste to get booty tali.

And I must say, I really don't mind the ending. I guess I can imagine you could make a better one, but I thought it was good in it's own right. The build-up was fucking fantastic (   nearly shed a tear when Garrus talked about storming the heavens   ) and the ending itself was... Weird, but interesting.    It's sorta more abstract and less science-fictiony than the rest of the game, at least the Synthesis option, but that didn't feel unappropriate given how epic the ending was scaled up to be. As pointed out, it isn't unlike the Neon Genesis Evangelion, or anime in general for that matter, so I'm already accustomed to endings were a seemingly supernatural force changes all of existence on the spot. I think it might even seem a bit too mundane for me if it simply ended with "woo, we took back earth, Shepards a hero, woo". Watching the video on the page, I guess the general problem is that the endings are to similar, and is only decided at the end. I dunno, I guess I didn't necessarily expect anything else. I guess I wasn't super hyped to see how my choices affected the ending. I'm pretty content with how they affected the game along the way.   

Either way, it was a blast to play, and a climatic experience without compare.

Postby BobSagat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Which ending did you go for, bro?
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Vegedus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 am

Synthesis. Orange goo indeed.    With max galatic readiness. Though according to what I hear, the difference is minimal.

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 am

Far as I've seen, readiness just affects whether Destruction gets a small teaser clip of    someone in N7 armor breathing    after the credits... Feels stupid to tag that, really.

Oh, and maybe decides whether you actually get to that point, or not. Heard that lesser amounts of readiness causes it to finish off at several different points leading to the Deux Ex Machina kid.    Mainly around the convo with Anderson and Timmy.   

Edit: Oh, wait. Also changes which of those three choices are even available. And whether soldiers, buildings, and/or ships are destroyed in the cutscene.
Demon of Elru

Postby Asmodai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Finally finished the game... While I think the last 5 or so minutes could've been done better, I actually liked my ending    destroy all synthetics! DEATH TO THE COMPUTERS!   ...

If I can name one glaring wrong with this game, its that BIOWARE SHOULD USE HIGHER RESOLUTION BACKGROUNDS IF THEY'RE GOING TO PUT A FOCUS ON IT.... Sheesh, those pictures of earth and whatever that planet was afterwards look atrocious.

Also,    why on earth is my team smiling at the end, when they emerge from the crashed ship? For gods sake, you just crash landed on an alien planet with absolutely no means of getting off of it again!   

But fun game, will probably play again, but now with all the other options...
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Because it's a pretty jungle planet! Always brings a smile to the face.

And I didn't notice the background thing. But I DID notice a lot of horribly low-res clothe textures. Which is bad because I keep staring at the damn things during conversations.

Postby Asmodai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Shepard's Indoctrination

That was bloody amazing...
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Yeah, no, find it really stupid. It's the same rhetoric and presentation as your average "BUSH DID 9/11!" conspiracy. I don't mind the Indoctrination theory, if that's an interpretation people like, cool. But I don't care for spooky subtitles & cutting for effect, or statements like "The next scenes can't be real. This is a fact". Way to be condescending to everyone who accepts the literal ending rather than the speculative.

Postby Asmodai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 pm

I personally dont believe it either. I mean, with all the bad press Bioware is getting about the ending, you'd think they would've dropped a few hints about this... But its still pretty damn amazing in my book
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:43 pm

What part was amazing? The theory itself, or the video, with it's gloomy fade-cuts?

Postby Asmodai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm

The theory... Nothing about it is real, but I still find it to be a pretty amazing find.
Mephobiac

Postby Remni » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm not sure, it's a very valid theory and the number of coincidences that give even more credit to the theory. Kinda gives an Occam's Razor feel after watching that, even though it's definitely not a simple thing.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm

If you don't like that video, there's quite a few others.

And a couple dozen threads.

The indoctrination theory has really taken root in the community, at least until an actual change is proposed by Bioware/EA.
For the Greater Good

Postby Remni » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Well the indoctrination things lends itself well to after game DLC, like it's been mentioned
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby aj_gatsz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:11 am

Well, actually I really hope (for Bioware) that this was the real ending.
Let's imagine that they will bring out a DLC with the "real" ending, saying that the one in the game wasn't the real one.
That would mean, that in the original product they would have put in a fake, and sell the real deal for you for extra. I think the outrage would be greater than about day1 DLC.
I really don't see what people's problem with the ending is.
The game is +18, and not ponies and candy. I mean the game starts with a child getting killed, and haunting your dreams, who would expect a happy ending after that? Before the game came out we talked about it with a friend and agreed that after so much beating (emotionally, hard choices) Shephard wouldn't likely to survive.
When I played, I had that constant bitter-sweet feeling of things ending, wrapping up. Of course I wanted the big bad mashines dead, and make tons of little blue girls afterwards... but you don't always get what you want.
People say that the three ending are so much the same. Well, during the whole game the plan is the 'red' ending. I think the 'blue' and the 'green' are really much of a bonus.
Yes I missed a closure where I could see the effect of my decisions, for example if the Krogen will play nice. On the other hand with the Mass Relays destroyed, it looses kind of a relevance. I think this gets a kind of clean sheet.

I did like the game, and actually wouldn't like to see Bioware bowing down to the wailing of some 'hardcore fans'. I mean if someone didn't like the end, fine; tastes differ, but I don't see a point in changing it because of that.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 am

Remni wrote:I'm not sure, it's a very valid theory and the number of coincidences that give even more credit to the theory.

No, no, they do not. Coincidences are easy to come by. When you're actively looking for quotes, event, sound effects that support your theory, you WILL find some. You can justify any theory by pouring through all the facts and things that happened, and find 10 that fits with it. "Hey guys, did you see that guy in the background of scene 624? Combined with the off-hand joke in conversation 2133, and the art asset in battle 120, it PROVES Shepard is jesus in purgatory". That's the thing about coincidences: They're everywhere. If you walk down a certain street a thousand times, it shouldn't be surprising you one day meet someone you know on it. If the reaper "cry" is played a thousand times during the game, it shouldn't be surprising that one happens to be played during what could be interpreted as Shepard rejecting indoctrination.
None of the coincidences actually directly support the theory. They just kinda fit with it, but I haven't seen one that couldn't be explained with another, more obvious explanation. You know, like what we saw happened, was what actually happened. Occam's Razor is exactly right.

The reason I object to it so much, is because, as mentioned, it's exactly the same rhetoric used in conspiracy videos. Bombard people with enough pseudo-truths and "convenient coincidences" and a significant amount will believe you. It's just ultimately faulty logic. The human mind is trained to notice coincidences. We don't think about it the 999 times we go down that street, but the 1000. time, we think it's an amazing coincidence to meet that guy here. That doesn't mean that coincidence has any significance.

Again, I don't mind the indoctrination theory itself. It's a valid, and interesting interpretation. The secret snippet after the    Destroy    ending (   seeing in someone on earth, in a N7 armor breathing   ) is specifically made to encourage wild speculation, like the indoctrination theory, but don't pretend that it isn't wild speculation, that we can derive any sort of facts from convenient coincidences.

NeoWarrior7 wrote:If you don't like that video, there's quite a few others.

And a couple dozen threads.

The indoctrination theory has really taken root in the community, at least until an actual change is proposed by Bioware/EA.

I've seen a couple. While they're not all as cringe inducing as that one, I haven't seen any that argue with anything better than "COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!"

Postby Ro Wong » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:48 am

aj_gatsz wrote:The game is +18, and not ponies and candy. I mean the game starts with a child getting killed, and haunting your dreams, who would expect a happy ending after that?

A few minutes of just looking around will tell you that most the hardcore fans aren't wanting happy endings. Just endings that they say the series deserves. Which is mainly endings that detail what exactly happens after the end and maybe more difference between choices. As well as some issues it raises for the setting.

Personally, I expected the story to end abruptly. Gotten to be my first thought when I hear something is being given MP.
Demon of Elru

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming