A Metal Abstraction: OOC

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: A Metal Abstraction: OOC

Postby Khanman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Added the talents from the more recent profiles, and rearranged a few points to account for them. We needed a 68-year-old master break-dancer, right?

Postby Mastermind001 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 pm

I love the fact that people are getting older and older in this rpg.
"Fate smiles on the strange. So its a good thing, I'm the strangest of all." - William Livingstone, Cirque de la Nuit
More Robots

Postby Khanman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:11 am

I think part of it is the incentive of additional talent points. People want to be good at stuff. That said, I think it makes sense given the context of the group. If we're supposed to be the inner circle of a well-sized organization, and also be working as a mafia, the experience-pool should be deeper here than in the rest of the Foundation. The peppy teen heroes that pop up in other games wouldn't fit as well.

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:12 am

The way the talent system is set up it kind of favors older characters, primarily because it's been a personal pet peeve of mine when you have people who are essentially kids going out and saving the world or whatever in RPG's. I feel like adult characters get shafted a lot of the time, and I think it's an interesting area to explore in part because it does get looked over so often.

Also, SuccessorM, Rodger is accepted, welcome aboard. One more person and we can get this party started, though of course people will be able to join still.

Postby SuccessorM » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks Burn,

Made a change to my last post, detailing my current point allocations.

Fun fact, Rodger was *this* close to being older, but I decided he really didn't need to be involved in Vietnam that much. Plus he would be pushing 70s-80s for that to work.

Postby Mastermind001 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:27 am

oh I'm not complaining, just finding it amusing. It does make sense as with age comes wisdom and experience. But right now, we are one step closer to having this party started and that is the greatest new I've heard all day.
"Fate smiles on the strange. So its a good thing, I'm the strangest of all." - William Livingstone, Cirque de la Nuit
More Robots

Postby SuccessorM » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 am

Agreed! Its going to be a lot of fun shaking it up in Samhain. Especially when the powers come into play!

Postby Bolts » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:37 am

I just know you're all ACHING to read Eddie's stories!! Speaking of, would anybody like a copy of his first romantic comedy "Watching Grass Grow?"

Postby Mastermind001 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:44 am

Speaking of careers, Harold is more than just a graffiti artist, but a freelance reporter.

edit: By the way gang, what should our character's relationship be to each other?
More Robots

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:35 am

for my part:

Henry maintains largely the same relationship with all the members of the Beltane Family, a sort of sarcastic, uneasy interest. He enjoys delegating and getting to know the useful traits of people, though rarely likes getting to know them as people. That said, he would have particular preference toward Chester for his abilities in bluffing and card-sharking; both of which are talents that he considers kindred in a sense.

As for Justin, since he'll be brand new coming in, he won't have any sort of pre-existing relationship with anyone apart from having spoken to Henry on a few occasions for interviews.

Postby Mastermind001 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 am

Then I was right to put it as something on the along the lines of Loyal to the Ideas, but not much to the man.
More Robots

Postby SuccessorM » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey Bolts, I would love to see Eddie's first story. Let me know when you can give a a preview!

Also, as far Rodger's relationships with the Family so far, he's probably on good terms with everyone. However, he probably doesn't know anyone too personally.

Postby icbmalaria » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Burn, I've been real busy lately. I'll try to get my character done soon

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm

That's okay man, I know how art schools can be.

Postby Bolts » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:18 pm

SuccessorM wrote:Hey Bolts, I would love to see Eddie's first story. Let me know when you can give a a preview!

Also, as far Rodger's relationships with the Family so far, he's probably on good terms with everyone. However, he probably doesn't know anyone too personally.

I was mostly being sarcastic....I doubt I'm a good enough (or bad enough) writer to write something that terrible.

Postby Mastermind001 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:42 am

So pretty much good terms so far, good enough for me. So abandoned facility or warehouse, Burn for the family's base of operations?
More Robots

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:05 am

The base-of-operations/safehouse/living quarters for the Beltane Family is an abandoned telephone production plant. Specifically a large room that was once used as a meeting room/company lounge in the 1930's. The room has been artificially joined with the adjacent rooms by way of the walls crumbling over time and there are adjacent rooms which have been converted to bedrooms. The electric bill is not being paid at the moment, and food is kept fresh by storing it in bags which hang out of the windows into the cold air of Winter District. The water bill also does not work in this particular room, so all trips to the bathroom bring the members of the Family to the lobby of the factory, the only portion with electricity and water running. As for showers, though the Family rarely showers, they do occasionally shower at Beltane Foundation offices or venture to allies' dormitories or houses to make use of their facilities.

Postby Mastermind001 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 am

So out of curiosity who is the Family's biggest hater/enemy, Burn? Its been what like 14 years or so, I imagine the Family would have some despite the black mail being acceptable.
More Robots

Postby icbmalaria » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Posted my profile

Let me know if there's stuff I need to edit, I'm not sure what to put about relationships with other members as of yet.

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 pm

@Mastermind: Well you see, the Family's existence has largely been kept under wraps. There are a few figures in Autumn District, a number of banking companies in Spring District, and the majority of Summer District that hold contempt for the Beltane's and to some degree, citizens of Winter District.

@Malaria: Louie is accepted, welcome to the Family.

With that I've reached the quota, it's time to start the RPG, it should start over the next day or so, so be on the lookout. If anyone wants to join still, you're welcome to do so. I'll be updating things around here after I get the thread rolling, since my first priority is to get this thing ON. THE. MOVE.

Postby ende of the world » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Name: Riem Cruellor.

Birthday: 3rd July

Sex: Male

Sexuality: Bisexual

Hometown: Westminster.

Clothes:

Cool - A short, navy duffel coat; thick yet skinny styled black jeans; a tattered pair of red sneakers; a thin blue jumper and a red checked shirt.

Warm - A Star wars T-shirt; straight grey jeans; a pair of yellow converse; and a light grey jacket.

Business - A plain long-sleeved white shirt; a navy sweater with matching tie, plain black suit bottoms, plain black work shoes.

Personality: Riem is a quiet thinker, who will love to predict future events based on logic alone. He's quick to make first judgements, while he wont act upon them until late on. His exterior calmness matches that of his interior, and it was only broken once when he confessed and was turned down.

Relations:
Jack Cruellor - Identical twin brother
Grandparents - Maurine and Christopher

Ambitions: To make a decent living and own a house with a lover.

Appearance: Measuring an average height of 5 foot 8, Riem has a full hair of brown curls and light blue eyes. He has no remarkable scars or blemishes on his face, which is a pale porcelain. He takes care to have a slender, healthy body,.

Likes: Cats, reading, following the stock market, warm and rainy days, composing poems.

Dislikes: Storms, bugs, squalor, green tea, young children.

Fears: Never to finish all the books and series he's started; a spider will crawl into his mouth whilst asleep; very small, confined or stuffy places.

Trinkets: An LG Viewty. A pretty old model now, but it contains his schedule, memos, contacts and many pictures.

Money: 150 dollars

Foraging Skill: 10

Directional Sensibility: 14

Background/Circumstances: The brothers moved to Samhain at different times, Riem first - who managed to get himself a job in Stock Exchange. A crucial mistake cost him the job, and he wasn't welcome in other companies either. Jack later came and found his brother working different menial jobs to get by. Unfortunately, Jack could only do the same. Riem finally got an okay job for his situation while Jack at the time started helping the Beltane Charity. Sometimes the brothers would go in each other's place when one was ill disposed and otherwise busy. So it came to the point where both Jack and Riem would help out the Beltanes, and eventally getting into the family, being thought of as one person. In fact, they almost never worked together, and saw each other only at the home they shared. In the end, Henry noticed that there were two people working as one, and after some enquiries, allowed them both to continue, since they both managed to get into the famiy and they both had different skills.

Powers: (These will appear later.)

Talents:

Sprinting: 0
Carrying many objects: 1
Keeping out of prison: 3
Establishing allies: 1
Long-distance running: 3
Faking emotions: 4
Reassuring speech: 1
Intimidating Appearance: 3
Poker face: 4
Knowledge of various strategy games: 0
Knowledge of classical music:
Looking on the bright side: 0
Ambidextrous: 1
Working under pressure: 0
Foreign History: 1
Stealth: 0
Creative problem solving: 0
Noticing the little things: 3
High-Jump/Vaulting: 0
Long jump: 0
Disguising oneself: 0
Dealing with children: 0
Fist brawling: 0
Stock exchange: 3

Name: Jack Cruellor.

Birthday: 3rd July

Sexuality: Heterosexual (Though often seen as 'Camp')

Hometown: Westminster.

Clothes:

Cool - A thick navy coat, black straight legged trousers, a green-blue checked shirt, navy cardigan and white trainers.

Warm - Beige chino's with dull and dark green shirt, and a pair of sandals.

Business - Plain business suit, the same as his brother's (2 for 1 offer) but without any jumper, and a blazer instead. With a white shirt and plain black work shoes.

Personality: At first, Jack seems the opposite of his brother, though its not the case. His excited, attitude sometimes comes off as slightly overbearing, but Jack has a calm interior to think in. He wears his hear pretty near his sleeve, though not quite on it yet, and he'll accept anyone who is by his standards, decent and not spoon-fed.

Relations:
Riem Cruellor - Identical twin brother
Grandparents - Maurine and Christopher

Ambitions: Take a world tour.

Appearance: Measuring a height of 5 foot 9 Jack loves his extra 1 inch compared to his brother. He also has curly brown hair - though his is slightly thicker and less well kept. He has green - brown eyes, and he loves working out, though his muscles are the thin, sinewy type. He's slightly less pale than his brother.

Likes: Animals, the great outdoors, playing games, having a pint, techno music.

Dislikes: Pessimists, french food, haggis.

Fears: To sink lower than he is, to lose his brother.

Trinkets: A click pen. He's always fiddling with it.

Money: 75 dollars

Foraging Skill: 10

Background/Circumstances: The brothers moved to Samhain at different times, Riem first - who managed to get himself a job in Stock Exchange. A crucial mistake cost him the job, and he wasn't welcome in other companies either. Jack later came and found his brother working different menial jobs to get by. Unfortunately, Jack could only do the same. Riem finally got an okay job for his situation while Jack at the time started helping the Beltane Charity. Sometimes the brothers would go in each other's place when one was ill disposed and otherwise busy. So it came to the point where both Jack and Riem would help out the Beltanes, and eventally getting into the family, being thought of as one person. In fact, they almost never worked together, and saw each other only at the home they shared. In the end, Henry noticed that there were two people working as one, and after some enquiries, allowed them both to continue, since they both managed to get into the famiy and they both had different skills.

Powers: (These will appear later.)

Talents:

Sprinting: 0
Carrying many objects: 0
Keeping out of prison: 2
Establishing allies: 2
Long-distance running: 3
Faking emotions: 4
Reassuring speech: 1
Intimidating Appearance: 4
Poker face: 2
Knowledge of various strategy games: 0
Knowledge of classical music:
Looking on the bright side: 0
Ambidextrous: 0
Working under pressure: 2
Foreign History: 0
Stealth: 1
Creative problem solving: 0
Noticing the little things: 0
High-Jump/Vaulting: 2
Long jump: 1
Disguising oneself: 1
Dealing with children: 1
Fist brawling: 2
Stock exchange: 0
Last edited by ende of the world on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Are you going to finish that?"

Postby Abolin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Name: Jess Ophiuchus Mcavoy

Birthday: February 29

Sexuality: Asexual

Hometown: Cavan, Ireland

Warm Clothes: Kangaroo mascot costume. he rarefy uses the hood as it is essentially the kangaroo mask.

Cool Clothes: A black neoprene wetsuit with a tool logo sown on the back and white Feiyue martial arts shoes.

Business clothes: a long sleeve business shirt and tie under a brown pin-stripe suit with trainers on his feet. He also has a long, lighter brown over-coat, but he never uses it. if anyone would ask why, he'd simply reply "not until I find a sonic screwdriver"

Personality: Jess is an arrogant, unmotivated, nihilistic, daydreamer with less enthusiasm than a eighty year old prostitute. His only redeeming quality is his sense of responsibility which despite his utter lack of motivation, tends to annoy him to the point of being deemed reliable by those who stay around long enough to find out. He is stark, sullen, vain and insensitive, but beneath that lies a self-less romantic with peerless courage and wisdom.

Relations: "Seki" his dog which he named after his favorite "go" problem and Lymerihck, his lesbian best friend whose lifestyle inspired his current sense of sexuality. ( side-note: seki is a mutt who wears a green dog sweater with multiple pockets that jess uses to hide his drugs and he is in love with lymerihck but he isn't the type to not take her preference into account )

Ambitions: none that he is aware of, but subconsciously jess wishes to have the power to change the world.

Appearance: he stands at about five foot seven, with long red hair that reaches his waist. His light green eyes are offset by the dark rings around them due to his occasional use of narcotics, his skin is pale and at first glance you would think him unhealthy by the contours of his face, but his body is formed and fit due to his hobbies. his extremities are long and his hands and feet have many calluses.

Likes: Poetry, Lymerihck, seki, games, warm showers, The occasional acid trip and music.

Dislikes: pseudo altruism, megalomania, broken promises and money, or to be more precise the power it holds over the world.

Trinkets: A pristine deck of cards which he uses to both make money doing magic tricks or simply gambling, or at the least pretending to gamble and a ukelele which he only plays for those he is fond of.

Fears: Moral conditioning, Avarice and Helplessness.

Money: 20

Foraging skill: 10

Background/Circumstances: Jess was seventeen when his loathsome parents died, leaving him with a trust worth about 1.9 billion dollars it took em all but 30 minutes after he was of legal age, to purchase the bank where it resided and burn it to the ground. after that jess drifted from place to place, searching for a nameless "raison de'tre" but to no avail, until one day he met lymerihck, she was an artist living in the winter district, she allowed him to stay at her place while he rested from a fight he had gotten into with a small gang who confused him for a junkie who had stolen from them, her random act of kindness startled jess causing him to be suspicious of her but slowly he realized her kindness was genuine, it wasn't until she was diagnosed with Aids that jess could return the favor, he knew of the Beltane family and that if he joined it could help him scrounge up enough money to regularly pay for her treatment.

Powers: TBD (hopefully we can talk about this) hopefully no mary of gary sue powers will be available.

Talents:

Parkour: 5
sleight of hand: 4 (can be used for both pickpocketing, gambling and magic tricks, kind of like D&D)
Faking emotions: 0
establishing allies: 0
swimming: 1
string instruments: 3
drug resistance: 2
sprinting: 3
long distance running: 3
heavy lifting: 2
hand to hand combat: 3 (wing tsun to be more precise with a little bit of brazilian ju-jitsu, you can call it mma if im being a douche)

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Ende, I give you preliminary acceptance though I would ask you tweak a few things, namely to make both twins a little bit older, so that the "getting accepted into stock market" thing is more likely. At that age it's unlikely they'd be in much of a position beyond an internship. Also, I'd ask that you give Riem some knowledge of stocks in his talents.

Abolin, I'm going to just say now that Jess's backstory is very implausible. However, I'm not necessarily opposed to implausibility, as we'll be coming across many unlikely things throughout this RPG. However, just don't expect anyone to believe him regarding his background or much else about him. Also, I would ask you to change the clothes listed. Henry would not let Jess go out in public wearing a wet-suit. Also, I'd have to ask why they let him in (since at this point in the RPG, the only non-member party character is Justin), he doesn't seem to have many applicable skills. Make him a little bit more down-to-earth in some regard and he'll be good.

Also, a not about the talent lists.

The talent lists are intended to be a compendium for you to spend Achievement Points on. For this reason, it should be noted that while you don't need to keep the full list on your profile, you should keep a copy of the full list somewhere on your computer just to keep track of your own talents. The only ones I request you have on your profile are those which you have points in currently.

That being said, I should have the main thread up in the next hour or two.

Postby Abolin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:54 pm

so if I don't change him, I won't be accepted?

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 pm

you're accepted, but I ask you to alter him primarily out of back-story logistics, why did the Beltane Family let Jess join? He seems out and out insane in some facets, and they wouldn't want a total nut-job joining them.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing