General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Autotrooper42 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:52 pm

WiNg0o wrote:Image

Also went and got LBP2 and played with friends.

I have no friends. :'(
Image Image

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Autotrooper42 wrote:
WiNg0o wrote:Image

Also went and got LBP2 and played with friends.

I have no friends. :'(

I kind of forgot how fast I lose my friends when playing coop games, it ain't coop if I can't team kill.

So I got my ass fired and now have the time to clear out my backlog of games, mainly from the steam sale. Just beat Bastion and Psychonauts.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Grey » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:56 pm

i never finished psychonauts, i'm kind of annoyed by that

finally started skyrim
it's pretty good
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:10 am

So as total grown ups who have there own place where do you get half way decent computer desks? I've rearranged my apartment and have more room for a better computer desk that actually holds my shit better. I've got two monitors, the tower, a speaker system, an intuos 4, and a fairly large gaming keyboard I'd like to have easy access to at all times.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:17 am

So I'm sorta back (Off and on, I guess) after disappearing for a long while and I'm kinda glad that a bunch of awesome people are still around.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Grey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 am

someone's gotta watch this place crumble
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Mathias » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:09 am

I was just wondering about you, Yoshi. Can I ride on your back?

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 am

You have to pay to do that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby octodexy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm

WiNg0o wrote:So as total grown ups who have there own place where do you get half way decent computer desks? I've rearranged my apartment and have more room for a better computer desk that actually holds my shit better. I've got two monitors, the tower, a speaker system, an intuos 4, and a fairly large gaming keyboard I'd like to have easy access to at all times.

I'm a girl and have a completely unrealistic desk. I need to figure out something to put my tower on.

I should take pictures of it, but fuck it, unless anyone actually cares what my desk looks like.
Motherfucker, I used to be somebody.

Postby WiNg0o » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:25 pm

My current desk is actually composed of three desks right now and its kind of a mess.
I Killed the Boss

Postby octodexy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:06 pm

...You use all three desks?
Motherfucker, I used to be somebody.

Postby WiNg0o » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Yeah, two are stacked on top of each other while the third holds most of the shit.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Rival » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 pm

@Grey
Rival a year ago wrote:Miz was on the Real World, so in Vince's head he's a "celebrity" and he always books those strong. Remember how Jericho defeated Steamboat, Piper and Snuka in a handicap match and then got punched out by Mickey Rourke? Hence why I think they'll let Rock go over Cena next year, due to Fast Five's success(I'd love for that too happen, too).

So turns out I was right. Vince's hard-on for celebrities, for once resulted in giving the fans what they wanted.

Loved Taker versus HHH this year, that one topped Punk-Cena from MitB for me. The last 15 minutes were breathtaking.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:33 pm

I think catching the dialogue between Taker/Trips/Shawn really took it to another level as well as Jericho/Punk. I was really surprised that The Rock went over clean. I really expected Cena to pick up the win, I figured The Rock wouldn't mind taking another job at WrestleMania if it was for the betterment of the business. I really hope this leads to something more interesting for Cena because he's been in a holding pattern since last WrestleMania and I'm tired of seeing the same old schtick out of him. I'm still livid over the Shamus/DBD match and how much time they gave everything that wasn't the big 3 matches of the night.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote: I was really surprised that The Rock went over clean. I really expected Cena to pick up the win, I figured The Rock wouldn't mind taking another job at WrestleMania if it was for the betterment of the business.

I'm sure he would, if it did benefit the business. Thing is Cena went over HHH and HBK at two different Manias, having him predictabiy go over another Attitude Era legend(one of the 2 biggest ones no less) would do nothing to improve his popularity. If anything people would sour on him even more. His popularity peaked around 2008 I'd say. Kids won't stop buying his merchandise after one loss, and adults hate his "I'm invincible and nothing ever gets to me" bullcrap, so this result was best for business, in my opinion.

Plus, since all PPVs other than Mania sell like shit these days and because the roster is so thin. I think Vince wants to change the business model to something more akin to the 80s, were the biggest draws are guys who only have 1-3 matches a year max, in other words Taker and the Rock. That way you don't have to fear your main draw for Mania suddenly getting injurded prior to the event. Cena supposedly had a luckily non-dangerous car crash 2 weeks ago, that might've freaked Vince out. Rock has already confirmed he'll be back for next Mania, so that supports my theory. The other PPVs will be there just to stay afloat from Mania to Mania, sell merchandise and build-up contenders for the main draws. That's my prediction anyway.

And you know, as much as I respect Jericho for putting over young talent, I think he does it too much. He lost to Sheamus at RR and struggled at Smackdown versus Kofi, so I didn't feel he was any threat to Punk before Mania and sadly I was proven right. I think Jericho winning RR and then winning via cheating at Mania, and then losing to Punk in a brutal no DQ match at Extreme Rules, which is in Punk's hometown of Chicago, would benefit Punk far more. Punk got zero rub from this victory. Losing at Mania can actually help careers, Austin's big breakout match was the one where he lost to Bret afterall.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:58 pm

If they have a better follow through with Cena it can help, the problem is this is a very short term fix for bringing back fans. When the Cena is going to be be there every week doing his boy scout routine and there's no one interesting for him to feud against people are gonna tune out on him again. I'd say Cena peaked in about 07 coming off that feud with Edge but even by that point he was getting booed out of the building by males over the age of 12, he got booed between the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania against HHH.

I think the biggest thing they need to do is make sure everyone on the card has a feud, create some more stables, build the tag team division. It would at least be a better use of screen time for your average midcarder in the company to be in a bunch of tag or trios matches against other midcarders than to squash out to whatever monster they are pushing this month. Also get rid of house shows or at least significantly cut the number, tape two nights a week and let the guys heal up and train when not taping.

I didn't like the build up for Punk/Jericho. You have two guys of that caliber on the mic and in the ring and you have to bring in Punk's family life to build heat. I do agree that Jericho at times is a little job happy especially when they need him to look his strongest. As far as next month goes, I don't even know if Jericho will be there and secondly Punk won in Chicago last year he'll have to job for the next few years(see Rey Mysterio).
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:18 am

Jericho recently extended his contract, he'll be there through summer:
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/ ... ntract.htm

I agree with you that improving the midcard and building a solid tag-team division would really help. I'd also add, what I'd consider most important, allowing non-scripted promos again. But these are all things Vince isn't really interested in. Ryder was a midcarder who got massively over and they "rewarded" him by booking him like a total loser for the last 3 months.

And Vince dislikes stables from what I read. The writers supposedly needed weeks to convince him to do the Nexus angle.

EDIT

God, I loved Raw. I don't even like Lesnar and still I loved it. This is the most interesting the WWE has been in about 6-7 years.

That crowd was incredible. It was as hot as a 2000 WWF crowd. "Yes" might become the new "What?".

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:59 am

Vince dislikes everything that isn't an established cash cow. He's so afraid to give anyone a push but will punish them when they get over on their own hard work. I'm wondering what he's gonna have DBD do to AJ to try and cement him as a heel, especially after how over he was at Mania and last night. I actually feel bad for Shamus because he's gonna wind up not being able to get pop as a face because of the way he won.

There's a lot of fixes that could be made to make the product better but it doesn't matter as long as they can pander to kids and still move plenty of merch. The first thing is develop long term plans and stick to them, the problem is WWE sours way to quick on pushes, feuds, turns and gimmicks too quickly and don't allow them to play out, spontaneity is great for promos and ring work, but feuds and gimmicks need time to get over. I'd also cut about half the pay per views a year, 3 weeks is not enough time to build a compelling program, now if you do a PPV every 7 weeks that gives you 6 weeks to build a feud and allow the following week for the fallout from the PPV. And letting wrestlers go off the cuff on promos would be great and if they can't cut a promo give them a manager. Seriously I rather here Vickie draw heat than Swagger attempt to with his adorable lisp.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby WiNg0o » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:13 pm

I Killed the Boss

Postby Grey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Rival wrote:God, I loved Raw. I don't even like Lesnar and still I loved it. This is the most interesting the WWE has been in about 6-7 years.

That crowd was incredible. It was as hot as a 2000 WWF crowd. "Yes" might become the new "What?".
if YES becomes the new WHAT? i can die a happy man knowing my nigga bryan danielson has had that profound an effect on the fanbase
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Rival » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6W4CCU9M4

Judging by the video these are made for hipsters.

He buys the tickets, but can't even pronounce "monsieur" properly.
Grey wrote:]if YES becomes the new WHAT? i can die a happy man knowing my nigga bryan danielson has had that profound an effect on the fanbase

"DAT BOY D-Bryan".

Postby Grey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 am

see smackdown?
such heavy crowd editing to try and tone down the YES and DANIEL BRYAN chants

they were not expecting him to be this over, i'm sure. it's like getting destroyed at mania gave him an obi-wan moment where he's come back more powerful than ever before
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Rival » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Grey wrote:see smackdown?
such heavy crowd editing to try and tone down the YES and DANIEL BRYAN chants

they were not expecting him to be this over, i'm sure. it's like getting destroyed at mania gave him an obi-wan moment where he's come back more powerful than ever before

Bryan's promo after RAW went off air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhTzUNr9jM

And yeah, they thought they had built a 2nd Honky Tonk Man, problem is these aren't the 80's anymore and Bryan actually made his heel character fun. This just shows how out of touch Vince & co are with the fanbase these days.

The crowd editing on Smackdown was horrible, but it was to be expected, "creative" hates it when someone gets over when it's not planned, which is an incredibly dumb way to look at it, since that's exactly how Rock got over. When they planned for him to get over as "Rocky Malvia" he flopped, people started to love him when he portrayed a jackass heel and got creative freedom to develop his character.

I wouldn't compare Bryan to Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan just became a ghost that gave pointless advice to Luke. It's more like Son Goku in DBZ where he sacrificed himsef, died, and attained Super Saiyan 3 while dead.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Creative and especially Vince hate not being able to not tell the fans how to react. But as long as they can edit things to fit the narrative they want it doesn't matter. Heck I caught a rerun of Raw and it sounded like they pumped it with cheers for Shamus.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Rival wrote:Bryan's promo after RAW went off air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhTzUNr9jM
"AJ, what do you think of all this?"
"Well..."
"Shut up."
/crowd erupts with applause

I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion