BLAck'z ART => Farewell to Snafu (19th Mar 2013)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: BLAck'z ART => Web-cammed Comps (24th June)

Postby Black » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:41 pm

I appologize for my inactivity last few months. I'm in my last year of faculty and I've been quite busy lately. :( In fact, I'm in a hurry right now as well, so I'll have to be brief.

@Sam:
Yes, that's Spira. But she's not holding blades, she's holding hands with the 2 characters next to her (Mono and Court). I do admit their hands look like blades from this angle. XD

@Morpheus:
I'm using a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil and a blank A4 notebook.

I'll try to upload several new drawings soon, but it'll probably be at least a week before I manage to do so.
Click to visit my art thread.

Re: BLAck'z ART => Web-cammed Comps (24th June)

Postby Black » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:34 pm

I finally managed to scan my drawings from past... 4 months or so.

Some action pose analysis:

Here's my "stylized" version of several characters from "Abomination: The Nemesis Project". 4-armed one is called Titan and 4-legged one is Kindred. The 2 smaller ones are unnamed and appear only in 1 type of many random campaign missions, so you can actually beat the game without ever seeing them.

This month I tasted fried squids for the 1st time.

Drew this after playing "Hammerfight" demo.

Random life-guard.

My attempt at designing a steampunk armor. I think it desperately needs a redesign. :/

PC anatomy:

My old OC, the (still unnamed) mechanical girl. I think it's been a full year since I last drew her. Also, her eyes look terrible after scanning (shading is completely lost). :(

I was thinking of entering my drawing for the "Madness Day 2011" drawing contest, but didn't make anything good in the end 'cause I got caught up in other things. All I've got are these small bits and pieces I drew while tossing ideas around.

And finally, some "Elder Scrolls"-related drawings.

1st we have a comparrison between Khajiits in 1st 3 "Elder Scrolls" games. Arena - humans with tatooed faces; Daggerfall - nekos; Morrowind - furries (now Nords are humans with tatooed faces :S ).

Then I compare the sorcerors from those games. Arena - sorceror desintegrates a wall with his "Passwall" spell; Daggerfall - sorceror rides a flying horse (yes, you could do that back then), wears a hooded cape and dual-wields longsword and mace (yes, there was dual-wielding in Daggerfall, yet it's absent afterward 'till Skyrim); Morrowind - sorceror hides behind an army of summoned units (On foot, as TES3 doesn't have mounts. >:( ).

Guess which game in the series I like best? XD

Re: BLAck'z ART => Madness, Elder Scrolls,... (24th Sep)

Postby Black » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:58 pm

No replies, huh? Hope you'll find these more interesting:

Re: BLAck'z ART => Cyborgs & Androids (6th Oct)

Postby Morpheus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:26 pm

You know in this forum whenever someone doesn't like what you do or you don't draw anime people will avoid posting in your thread.
I for one like your art but I don't see much progress.
I think if you go darker with you pencil or go with a more realistic approach  your art will look more interesting.

Postby Black » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for the tips & praise.

Unfortunately, it's quite painfully true that I didn't really improve this entire year. :( That's mostly 'cause I'm in my final year of faculty and I didn't spend much time on drawing, as I was trying to focus on my studies/projects. As a result, almost all of my art this year were either sketches or quickly drawn/stylized works without much detail. Frankly, I think Kage there's my most detailed piece this year. :roll:

However, I'm not pressed for time anymore, so I'll definitively try going for more realism. I'll probably have something new in few days.

Postby Morpheus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Try to incorporate different grades of pencil.
And work on you facial anatomy abit more.
I think with some more realism or color added in your art will be much better.

Postby Black » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Well, here I am again. Only to disappear for a while again soon. :roll:

Not much time time 'round, I'm afraid. Just a life-sized humanized beetle made out of snow:

The snow was so scarce I barely managed to scrape up enough to finish it. It was about 1.5-1.6 meters long. Then few days ago there was a large drop in temperature and (finally) a lot of snowfall. Unfortunatelly, the snow's so dry now it has zero cohesion, so I can't make anything out of it. Oh, well.

Anyway, I've switched laptops with my brother recently and the new laptop doesn't support my scanner's software, so no drawn stuff this time. I'm also still working on those faculty's projects. I really need to pick up the pace... :(

Re: BLAck'z ART => Snow Beetle (1st Feb)

Postby Morpheus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Looks good.

Re: BLAck'z ART => Snow Beetle (1st Feb)

Postby Black » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 pm

@Morpheus:
Thanks.

I finally gave up on using a scanner and instead used a digital camera my folks bought recently to digitize my drawings. Anyway, here goes...

Here's an unfinished drawing of Borgified Picard. A bit more detailed than my usual works, but still a long way from being finished (borg implants are merely a placeholder atm and the defining lines need to be a lot softer). Drawn with a .5 mm mechanical pencil, as always. For some reason (probably sentimental) I stubbornly keep drawing with nothing else, even tho I was advised by many people to start using other drawing tools. Oh, well.

And here's some more (and probably the last of) "Elder Scrolls" art. This time I tried to draw the first thing I'd remember from the 1st 4 games in the series (I still haven't played/seen enough of "Skyrim").

1st up, a drawing for the "Arena". An Argonian mage desintegrates the floor in front of an Iron Golem. I tried to make it look like a scene from "Lode Runner" (screenshots here), tho the mage's pose is somewhat different than the runner's. As you might notice, back in the "Arena" Argonians were actually humanoids with scaled skin instead of reptilians, as in later games.

2nd is a "Daggerfall" drawing. A Wereboar clinging onto a building, with a warrior wearing a furry cape, equipped with a ball-on-chain mace. Yes, there actually were Wereboars in that game. And they really could climb buildings and walls. This was also the only game so far that had capes, as well as the last one to have ball-on-chain maces.

Next up is the one from the "Morrowind", with the "Tribunal" expansion. Obviously, Bethesda thought they should make this game more steampunk. The player (on the right) wears a somewhat steampunkish armor and wields steampunkish weapon, while being accompanied by a cybernetic dinosaur (Fabricant) and a stempunk robot (Centurion Sphere), facing some steampunk michines as enemies (Steam Centurion and Centurion Archer, as I recall).

And lastly, the drawing for the "Oblivion". While the game WAS rather awesome, the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about it are not the amazing spells, the hell gates and demons spewing out of them and NPC soldiers battling them alongside the player, but an elf girl (in elven armor) riding a Unicorn! I'm not kidding, there really IS a tameable Unicorn in this game. I found it rather funny and out of place, when compared to the hellgates and demons you face on a daily basis.

And here's also some anime fan-art for the fans of the anime-style. I felt the urge to draw Nagato after watching the "Vanishing of Haruhi Suzumiya" about a month ago. I must admit tho, I did use references for these 3, tho I did make some changes in Yozora's and 1st Nagato's drawing. I tried drawing the "regular" Nagato using the "vanishing" Nagato as a reference. I drew her holding a book instead of the dishes (in reference screenshot) and I also used a different style for drawing eyes.

And lastly, for a bit of an off-topic... I watched the entire anime "Angel Beats!" few days ago and I think I've found my new favorite anime (up 'till now, my favorite was "Love Hina", probably 'cause it was the 1st anime I watched besides the DBZ). Of all time. It's one of the rare things that managed to get an actual emotional response out of me.

Re: BLAck'z ART => TES Memories, Nagato (11th Feb)

Postby Morpheus » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Good work.
But I can't help but think that there is something wrong with that horse.
Also how heavy is the paper you're using?

Re: BLAck'z ART => TES Memories, Nagato (11th Feb)

Postby Black » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm

@Morpheus:
Thanks.
Huh... Now that you mention it, the muscles on Unicorn's front legs do look weird like this...
Well... I don't know the exact caliper, but I draw everything in blank A4-format notebooks/sketchbooks.

Anyway, here's some new stuff. Let's start with the most "detailed" piece of them all - the "Dual-Wielding Your Dual-Wield".

Then, some new Comp-1P stuff. The "Generation Gap" and "New Model" (surrounded with [USB] flash photographers).

And next up are 2 drawings of my "mechanical girl". Seems like I finally decided to draw her more than once a year. XD The 2nd one shows her giving a valentine chocolate to a guy, as sort of an inversed version of this old piece of mine (there was a larger drawing, but I only colored that part when I made a sig out of it; even tho it's a 3-year-old piece, I'm gonna put that as my new sig, as I don't leave the Art subforum anymore and the O.C.T. is now kaput).

And now for a bunch of quick drawings of OCs from an RP on another forum.

And finally a drawing of Tachibana Kanade aka Tenshi from "Angel Beats!", in her baseball uniform/outfit.

Also, for those of you celebrating it...
Happy Valentine's Day!
...from a guy who doesn't celebrate that holiday (I'm Orthodox). >.>

Re: BLAck'z ART => Android Valentine (14th Feb)

Postby Morpheus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:40 pm

I like the guns on your first drawing but I think you made you eyes too wide.
Also how much are you paying for these sketch books?
Try to pay above 10 dollars and get a paper with a nice grit.
Preferably above 60 lb.
This is what I use. http://www.dickblick.com/products/globa ... tch-books/

Re: BLAck'z ART => Android Valentine (14th Feb)

Postby Black » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks. The big eyes are probably the subconscious result of watching too much anime lately. XD
Actually... The notebooks I use are usually about 50 cents to 1$ each. I kinda took on drawing as a hobby 'cause I could do it anywhere with more-or-less no investment at all. It kinda started out as something to pass the time with between lessons at school. My profession are computers, after all. I kinda always use just a .5 mm mechanical pencil, a (cheap) eraser and a plain A5-format notebook.
Anyway, thanks for the tips, but I'm afraid they're kinda wasted on me. Sorry. :(

Fixed versions of some earlier drawings:

And my simplified rendition of "Linkin Park"'s song "Numb", played on a virtual piano (the laptop's keyboard):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d2LZodvevs

Re: BLAck'z ART => LP's Numb (Simplified) (20th Feb)

Postby Black » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Last night I had a strange dream. Then I decided to make a drawing inspired by it.

For some reason I dreamt of playing a 3 player co-op map in "Dungeon Keeper 2", with "Maid Keeper Mod" installed (which basically changed the Mistress' leather-fetish into a maid-fetish). XD Just for the record, there is no such thing as "Maid Keeper Mod" in real life. ... Or at least not yet. Now, I understand that I probably dreamt of DK2 'cause of nostalgia, but I have absolutely no idea why I dreamt of Mistresses in maid dresses. This is what Mistresses look like in DK2.

Re: BLAck'z ART => Maid Keeper (26th Feb)

Postby Black » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:20 am

A quick update:
Short Comic

Re: BLAck'z ART => Quick Update (9th Apr)

Postby Black » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Happy Easter
to anyone who celebrates it today. Hope you had a merry one if you celebrated it last week.

Well, a lot have happened lately. Most importantly, my old laptop's motherboard died about a month ago. My folks bought me a new one few days ago. Anyway, enough about myself. Onto the art!

This year's Easter eggs. In the 2nd one I tried to show you that one of the eggs has 2 sides.

Both sides of the 3rd egg:

Re: BLAck'z ART => Easter Eggs (15th Apr)

Postby Black » Mon May 14, 2012 10:47 am

Some fan-art. Mostly drawn using references, with slight diviations. :roll:

1) Yozora, from "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai".

Wearing what I dare call the best friggin' swimsuit I've ever seen. XD

The scene from the end of the 3rd novel.

---

2) Nagato Yuki, from "Haruhi Suzumiya" franchise. I started reading the books recently. Read all 6 books that are currently officially translated in just as many days. XD

Nagato's outfit from "Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya".

Outfit from "Live a-Live".

Nagato's winter casual wear from "Charmed at First Sight".

Re: BLAck'z ART => Yuki Nagato (14th May)

Postby Diggler » Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 pm

I really like the generations picture. Have you tried moving to digital drawing? I bet you would do pretty well there with where you're growing towards.
What doesn't kill you makes you giggle.

Re: BLAck'z ART => Yuki Nagato (14th May)

Postby Black » Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 am

Glad you liked it. I actually used to make a good deal of digital drawings, but then I purpously moved away from it. Now I mostly draw when I want to get some rest from working with computers.

And now for the new art.
I downloaded and read the unofficial translations of the remaining 5 Haruhi books, 'cause I didn't feel like waiting 'till 2014 for their official translations (I'm still gonna buy the official books when they finally come out in english, tho). And here's my favorite scene from the 8th book:

Here's my old OC Maria, the psycho-killer, with her heart-shaped shurikens:

Then my other old OC, the mecha-girl. I tried to emulate a certain drawing style, hence her head's bigger than it should be if drawn realisticlly. Anyway, I tried to draw her with a look that says "I feel like crying, but I'm not physically capable of crying". You think I got it right?

And finally, a guy playing a guitar-shaped instrument (but not really a guitar, since they have 6 strings).

Re: BLAck'z ART => More Nagato (29th May)

Postby Black » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Slightly fixed Tenshi:

Robots interacting:

Nagato look-alikes?
From top to bottom, left to right: Cocoloo (Petite Princess Yucie), Nagato Yuki herself (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Iwasaki Minami (Lucky Star), Tabatha aka Charlotte Helene Orleans De Gallia (Familiar of Zero), Korone (Great King Daimaou), Reki (Aria the Scarlet Ammo), Ichii Tooru (A-Channel).

A short comic I drew last month. My attempt at making an "emotional" story.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc21 ... ond_01.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc21 ... ond_02.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc21 ... ond_03.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc21 ... ond_04.jpg

Re: BLAck'z ART => Short Comic & Others (3rd Jul)

Postby Black » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:24 am

Yeah... I've been busy with some projects lately, but it's finally time for an overdue update.

Let's start with this (slightly) fixed drawing of my OC Maria, the psycho-killer:

Then let's continue with my most memorable scenes from the "Rune Factory" games.
1st off, the fight between Raguna and the Battle Tank from the 1st "Rune Factory" game. In my opinion, this game actually had the best story, tho it's bad balancing, clunky controls and battle mechanics dragged it down.

For "Rune Factory 2", I drew the scene from the 2nd ending, when player's initial character finally reunites with his kids.

And for "Rune Factory 3"... We have a sheep-like (not ram-like) guy (who actually looks more like a girl in his human form, too) stargazing along with a phoenix-like girl. Seriously, why's the player turning into a ridicilous kung-fu sheep instead of the fire-breathing, majestic phoenix, like that NPC girl?

...and this is where I'm finally done with that manga-ish drawing style. More western-looking drawings ahead:
...and that's the 1st time I didn't draw the mecha-girl all manga-esque.

Just a quick sketch here:

I've also realized I haven't drawn giant robot mechas in a long time. So, I decided to draw my favorite 'mechs from all the MechWarrior games I've played.

And finally, my character design for the Dark Mistress (based on the original "Dungeon Keeper" game, when they were demoness' instead of obscene elven half-breds). I've "fixed" this one several times already and I still think there are things that need to be fixed. But, at least this version's "presentable".

Re: BLAck'z ART => Rune Factory, 'Mechs & Other Stuff (13th Oct)

Postby Black » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 pm

This will be my last post on Snafu Comics forums. Let's face it, I'm satisfied with my current drawing style and stubbornly refuse to change/improve it. There's no reason for me to keep posting my new drawings. I also visit so rarely that I don't even contribute to the forums anymore.

I have many fond memories from my time here, tho it wouldn't surprise me that everyone around here have completely forgotten me. It was thanks to Art subforum that my horrendus art became as good as it is now. It was thanks to Deena, ZoulArt and Vegedus that my Snafu OCT idea even lifted off the ground. It was here that I met so many interesting people. For all that - and for putting up with me this long - I thank you. All of you.

Here is my final art update. I won't bore you with a pile of sketches or uninspiring drawings I drew in my absence. I'll just post the two pieces some of you might still care about.
Yeah... The mechanical girl finally got her name, after 4 years. She was named by one of my RL friends.

And so, I'll say farewell to you all.
Farewell to ZoulArt, the SAVIOR OF SNAFU! Yeah, I know what he did. Even tho I didn't log in nor post during that time, I did follow that drama as it unfolded.
Farewell to Vegedus, the best art critic we ever had on Snafu (imo).
Farewell to sam4books and the other Sam (sam1027), both of whom probably don't even remember me anymore.
Farewell to BrokenLine (or should I say ChucklesDarkly?), Deena, MonoCeru, visi, Engravement, Mehoaido, Coos and anyone else whom I might've forgotten (even tho some of you deserted to DA prior to or during the Snafu Isolation Crisis).

P.S.: You're probably unaware of this, but I still owe Mehoaido a commission, due to some technical difficulties (like switching computers several times) on my part. But since he seems to have left Snafu Comics forums, I'm not sure how to contact him. I know he has DA, but I don't know his nick there. I was hoping to fulfill that obligation before I leave. *sigh* Oh, well.

Re: BLAck'z ART => Farewell to Snafu (19th Mar 2013)

Postby Vegedus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Huh. Like the end of an era. It's true that you haven't been around much lately, but I'll miss you. We did manage to get a couple of cool things off the ground together. Kudos for not just going quietly into the night, but actually bothering to make the leaving official. May the internet winds blow you to new interesting places.

Goodbye!
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Previous

Return to Art