Kingdoms of Amalur

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Kingdoms of Amalur

Postby Remni » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Alright, so who else has it? I swear my entire friends list is swarmed with people playing this game right now. I ordered it myself, but still waiting for physical copy to come in the damn mail. How's everyone enjoying it so far? From the demo, I loved how fast and fluid the combat was.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur

Postby Asmodai » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:09 am

Pirated it.

So far the story is pretty meh, as is the whole setting. It's your classic example of a fantasy world (with fairy dust EVERYWHERE!). But the combat more than makes up for it, its interesting and fast paced and I like how its not all about button bashing. The game does tend to get a bit easy once you get some health regen items.

It's a lot like Fable, only better.
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:08 am

Played the demo. Probably gonna get it at some point, but not until it's on sale.

While the combat seems nice and actually require a bit of skill and attention, more than most action RPGs, I was overcome with how unoriginal the whole thing was. Completely standard fantasy setting slog. Fire, ice and thunder spells, really? Dialog style is lifted directly from Bioware, but without their writers, it matters little. The crafting is also pretty much the same as every MMO and the skills in general remixed versions of Dragon Age. The combat, while polished, is still the same old "use abilities 1-9, dodge roll and block".

The single new thought in the game is the class system, which isn't really a class system so much as "oooh, you can get appropriate bonuses if you spec into more than one class tree".

I'm sure it's a fine game, and probably better than a lot of the competition, but I don't know how long I can go on playing the same game again and again. I'll second the Fable comparison. Solid, but not innovative in any way. It's also like Darksiders, in some ways. Also a new IP, also huge budget and very polished. Still almost redundant in it basically being Zelda + God of War + Comicbook aesthetics. I just find it disheartening that new IPs can't have any innovation in triple A gaming.

Now let the flamewar begin.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Asmodai » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 am

Innovation is too risky for high budget games these days. The chances of something failing to sell, because its too "new" are too high, Mirror's Edge is a good example. So developers stick to the things they know will sell.

If you want innovation, the indie market is the place to be.

Another gripe I have with this game, and this is the same problem Skyrim suffers from, is that there are too many quests. Every town you enter has at least 5 quests so your questlog can get quite cluttered. Now I can hear you say "Well, you dont have to accept every quest, just come back later when you've got some room" but honestly, who does this? I'm not going to remember that some random villager in some random town had a quest. Not to mention, that if I return later, the reward will be so meager I cant even be bothered with it.
And the quests dont feel like they matter at all. Take the Boggart quest for example, a town is suffering from some plague caused by the Boggarts and you're send to investigate. You solve it and receive your reward, but after that nothing changes. The people are still coughing and the Boggarts are still respawning (in true MMO style). The only thing that changed, is that some villagers now say something like "Thanks for helping us with the Boggart problem." I feel like my actions dont have any weight to them.

All in all, do not play this game if you want an rich, epic story or a original world. Play this as a braindead RPG, who's only good thing is its combat system.
Mephobiac

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 am

I was sort of looking forward to this game too... Been a while since I've played something with a really good and deep story. And some differing factors to make it stand out would have been nice too.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Remni » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Well I just hit lvl 20 on it and only just now finished the Dalentarth region. Loving playing with Faeblade/Chakram combo. There's so much fun in the combos between the two weapons.

Also, I have to disagree on the story aspect. I dont mean the main storyline, I mean the amounts of lore created in the game. The House of Ballads questline was one of the most fun and interesting set of quests I've ever played in any game.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:33 am

GO AWAY BOTS! Nobody wants your "Pakistani jobs" or "free legal service".
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Return to Snafu Gaming