Encore!

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Encore!

Postby Mathias » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 am

German is not Latin, it is Germanic. Clearly you do not know what you are talking about, especially since French is one of the more common Romance languages.

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 am

The amount of stupidity in Yiu's post is downright apalling. also, LET'S ALL BACKUP OUR ARGUMENTS WITH COMEDY SHOWS. :roll:
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby YiuKorochko » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Uh actually, Germanic derives from Cyrillic, and thus Greek, which in turn is related to Latin. And the German uses the roman alphabet, meaning it did stem from Latin.

So don't get too far of yourselves.
I was stating a little fact and opinion. What's Romantic is a language either Latin or it's closest kinds. Spanish is the closest to Latin, where Italians are closer on pronunciation.

I've had 2 years of Latin, 4 years of Spanish, 2 years of French and I learn Russian, Greek and Japanese at home. So far be it from me to actually give an opinion based on an educated point of view.

I didn't mean to seem rude but wow, chill.

Postby Mathias » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:17 am

You can make any argument you want, even saying that every language stems from the same origin, but as it stands, German is not currently considered to be a Latin tongue.

Postby YiuKorochko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:15 am

Mathias wrote:You can make any argument you want, even saying that every language stems from the same origin, but as it stands, German is not currently considered to be a Latin tongue.

No it's not.

And you can make any workaround you want to try and make it look like you weren't completely out of line by making yourself right, but German does use the Roman alphabet.

Point proven.

Postby Mathias » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:32 pm

I would take your arguments more seriously if not for your ego and hypocrisy. I got some second opinions from actual linguists:

Hahahahahaha, I find this hilarious. I mean, navajo uses the same characters, but it's certainly not Romantic! Also, they should look up Grimm's law, and see how German (and the whole germanic branch) deviates from Greek and Latin. Also, Spanish being the closest to Latin? Obviously they haven't heard of Romanian (which, although with less words than Italian, also has a large vocab base, and even retains a large number of similar declensions as Latin).

He isn't worth your time on this. People who study several languages often fancy themselves as language experts when in fact they have a very superficial understanding of how language works. Any basic introductory linguistics text could provide him with the lessons he needs. The problem is, he doesn't know he needs them. Listen to Sean--he's on the right track.

Postby YiuKorochko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Mathias wrote:I would take your arguments more seriously if not for your ego and hypocrisy. I got some second opinions from actual linguists:

Hahahahahaha, I find this hilarious. I mean, navajo uses the same characters, but it's certainly not Romantic! Also, they should look up Grimm's law, and see how German (and the whole germanic branch) deviates from Greek and Latin. Also, Spanish being the closest to Latin? Obviously they haven't heard of Romanian (which, although with less words than Italian, also has a large vocab base, and even retains a large number of similar declensions as Latin).

He isn't worth your time on this. People who study several languages often fancy themselves as language experts when in fact they have a very superficial understanding of how language works. Any basic introductory linguistics text could provide him with the lessons he needs. The problem is, he doesn't know he needs them. Listen to Sean--he's on the right track.

Wow a second opinion. Good for you.
I've gone through years of learning all sorts of languages, both officially and unofficially, so yes, I do know what I'm talking about. In fact, the guy in the first quote actually confirms what I first said:

"Obviously they haven't heard of Romanian (which, although with less words than Italian, also has a large vocab base, and even retains a large number of similar declensions as Latin)"
Okay, so he points out Romanian. Of course Romanian would be near enough the same, it's about the same as traditional Spain Spanish versus modern Mexican Spanish. Same concept. Their both "Roman", so why would I bother mentioning the same language? Perhaps what I'm actually comfortably knowing, I took it upon myself to assume you knew Romanian was so close. Now, mind you the textual form has evolved much higher than that of traditional Latin, which is why overall I see Spanish being more closely related, but I've also not studied or been very interested in Romanian.
I'm more interested in Slovak, Russian, Lithuanian areas.

As for the second opinion, well, that's all it is. An opinion. I've had several introductions to linguistics, I have one every time I move country. Now, for a nineteen year old who has actual experience in other more profitable areas, and with the opportunity to see more of the world, I would assume from any other point of view that I was actually excelling fairly well. The second person is highly one sided and basing his "opinions" purely on the negative side of the first comment. His raw aggression and offensiveness is obvious through his clear ignorance of "Sean's" confirmation on my part.

Whats more, I find it hilarious that one such as yourself would make yourself seem any more educated by using words such as "ego" and "hypocrisy". Nowhere in my comments have I shown example of either behavior. I simply pointed out a fact and the two of you had to cause an argument about it.
One being so egotistical he has to back himself up with biased, close-minded comments is surely more egotistical and cowardly behavior. As for hypocrisy, none has been shown on other side of this conversation, so bringing it up to make yourself look smart isn't exactly going to help your side of the argument.

With that, I'd like to drop this conversation and continue discussing the continuation of the Power Puff Girls Doujinshi and stop flooding a thread with unrelated content.

Namu myouhou renge kyou, my friend.

Postby Gato » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Good God. Is there seriously an argument going on about foreign language in a web comic? For fuck's sake just be grateful they didn't decide to make up their own and move on.
Archrival- Now you sir have potential, definately so if Blood tolerates you. I feel you could be an asset to the forum amongst the muck.
Zelosse- I spent the last 30 minutes watching Gato's Avatar. Jesus christ it's so cute it sickens me.

Postby YiuKorochko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Gato wrote:Good God. Is there seriously an argument going on about foreign language in a web comic? For fuck's sake just be grateful they didn't decide to make up their own and move on.

I honestly tried to keep it simple but things escalated.

I also gave my input on the story-line and what I thought of the project as a whole but no one seemed to acknowledge it.

Postby Mathias » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 pm

If you want serious discussion about the comic, you're better off going to the PPG sub-forum, where they have a discussion thread for the installment. This sub-forum is largely full of posts from new members who come and go and never explore the rest of the forum and very few of the threads in News feature posts from prominent members. Our debate aside, I encourage you, as a veteran member, to visit the rest of the forum and leave this haven for n00bs.

Postby Gato » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Mathias wrote:If you want serious discussion about the comic, you're better off going to the PPG sub-forum, where they have a discussion thread for the installment. This sub-forum is largely full of posts from new members who come and go and never explore the rest of the forum and very few of the threads in News feature posts from prominent members. Our debate aside, I encourage you, as a veteran member, to visit the rest of the forum and leave this haven for n00bs.

Very well. I suppose it's not my place to jump in regardless. Sorry for the disturbance.
Archrival- Now you sir have potential, definately so if Blood tolerates you. I feel you could be an asset to the forum amongst the muck.
Zelosse- I spent the last 30 minutes watching Gato's Avatar. Jesus christ it's so cute it sickens me.

Postby Mathias » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 pm

That was actually directed at Yiu (not You).

Postby YiuKorochko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 pm

If the site enabled notification of replies be default, I probably would have explored more first off.

I'll head on over there, as yes, I'd much rather contribute to a more in-depth set of fans. I mean this doujinshi pushed me to buy all these original series (the oldest and most classic of the lot) on DVD and I'm really liking how close the characters are compared to their original selves. Sure they're a little more 3-dimensional now, but what can be expected from a story so intricate, with an older target audience? Nothing less.

Postby Gato » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 am

Whoops. Thanks, autism, for once again providing me with the incorrect view on a comment.

Postby Sonata2011 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm

DUDE!!
continue this comic !!
I just can't wait any longer!! :'( plzzzzzzzzz
Dexter Rules

Postby Zenaku » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

The suspense is too much!!! :eek:
"Skyscrapers, Earthmovers, Ground Breakers"

Postby shenmillion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:48 pm

nope

Postby shenmillion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 pm

well lets see dexter and blossom or deter and bubbles i want some drama lol

Postby shenmillion » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:15 pm

i vote for blossom because she is smart like detxer and they are both alike as dee dee a destroying machine who votes for blossom

Postby Innocence Abandoned » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:18 pm

@shenmillion Read the rules. Double posts are bad, and a triple post is worse. You have an edit button for that stuff.

Postby grimjr_1234567890 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Yeah ive gotten burned for that before
No matter how hard it gets... just push though... and bitch make me a sammich!

check out my story here (if you want to): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51576

Postby justim35 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:47 pm

why you take so long with ppgd but you so fast in grim tales :'( tho i do enjoy grim tales

Postby shenmillion » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:03 pm

love blossom she amart
:grin:

Postby YiuKorochko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:05 pm

justim35 wrote:why you take so long with ppgd but you so fast in grim tales :'( tho i do enjoy grim tales

Because they took time off PPGD to work on GT. When they reach either a close or a certain point, they're continuing it.

Postby shenmillion » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 pm

grim tale is good and mandy is nasty
:redface:

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!