Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Postby CrimsonJack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 am

I love the Wabbajack. Playing around with it yesterday and shot a few mammoths, one exploded into a pile of coins, another turned invisible and ran away, the third was promptly turned into a sweet roll. I am the WabbaWizard!
Do you know where the real Hell is? It's inside your head.
Do you know where the real Heaven is? It's beyond the clouds, a horizon we all see in the end.
That's why my head is always in the clouds, hoping to see that Heaven beyond the horizon of Life and Hell.
Sayonara, Adios, Goodbye.
Stella

Postby True Order » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Wait, really? The Wabbajack does shit like that? And here I was assuming all it did was change animals into different animals like in Oblivion.

First time I used it, it turned a goat in a troll and that did not end well. I haven't even touched it since.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby CrimsonJack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Dude the Wabbajack can be your best friend or your worst enemy depending on your luck with it and lately it has been my BEST friend. Turned a Drauger death lord guy thing into a sweet roll and I ate him!
Do you know where the real Heaven is? It's beyond the clouds, a horizon we all see in the end.
That's why my head is always in the clouds, hoping to see that Heaven beyond the horizon of Life and Hell.
Stella

Postby Senel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Who the fuck do you think you are, Majin Buu?

Postby CrimsonJack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Considering I can turn my enemies into sweets and im usually half naked and slightly sun burnt but with a full head of hair and white finger nails I'd say I resemble Kid Buu a bit.
Stella

Postby EagleMan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Something I've been wondering, why do people care that the combat in this game is easy?

It's not like the game has an especially well-developed combat system (and that's not what I play these games for either, so it's all good). All that raising the difficulty accomplishes is a few more swings, a few more arrows, or whatever. It's not like it makes it harder tactically or intellectually; it just requires more work and that's it.

This is true of many games, but I find it odd to see the complaint so pronounced for Skyrim.

Postby CrimsonJack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm

I don't get it either, I'm way too immersed in the various stories and quests and whatnot to really care that the combat system isn't the greatest even though the duel wielding and that jazz is awesome. They should focus their energy on violently murdering the arrow inn the knee joke. :3
Stella

Postby EagleMan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 pm

What would probably help is not mentioning it.

Postby Vegedus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 pm

While Skyrim certainly doesn't have a great combat system, I would disagree that the higher difficulties just make combat longer. With my extremely inefficient character builds, a good amount of fights is just firing firebolts at people until they keel over, but just as many is all like "shit, I'm out of mana, out with shield FUCKGETTINGHAMMERED FUSRODAH GOTTAHEALGOTTAKITE SHITSHITSHIT BLOCK POWERSMASH YES SHOUT IS UP AGAIN FURODAH HEAL AHAHAHAHIGOTMANANOWYOUDEAD!!". In a word, challenging, requiring attention and a bit of skill. Which for me is more satisfying than instant-killing everything with backstabs or abusing broken perks to never come into harms way.

Personally, I always care about the combat system. I can't just "let it slide" if it's broken or missing it's potential. My biggest reason for liking Fallout 3 more than Fallout 1 is that 3 had a somewhat serviceable combat system, while the first one's was extremely boring and took no thought whatsoever. It's not like I wouldn't ever do a pacifist play-through, but it's still going to be a big part of the game for 95% of all play throughs.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby spazmonkey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm kinda disappointed by how decentralized the quests are. The main quest was really short.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby Asmodai » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:02 am

Its funny, now that I actually haven't touched the game for a while... I can't remember why I thought it was so good. I mean, all you do is go from A to B and beat the crap out of every living thing. Add to that, that almost all (98%?) NPC's out side cities are hostile.

Oh look, a castle!

Oh look... more bandits/necromancers... *sigh*

A little variation would've been nice.
Mephobiac

Postby True Order » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:22 am

Funny Youtube parody: Skyrim Real Life Mod
Overthinker

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 am

Asmodai wrote:Its funny, now that I actually haven't touched the game for a while... I can't remember why I thought it was so good. I mean, all you do is go from A to B and beat the crap out of every living thing. Add to that, that almost all (98%?) NPC's out side cities are hostile.

Oh look, a castle!

Oh look... more bandits/necromancers... *sigh*

A little variation would've been nice.

Eh, it's not hard to make a game sound boring on paper. For instance, Mass Effect is just running down corridors, shooting dudes, then talking to dudes, over and over. Arkham City is just going to A to B, beating the crap out of every living thing, though sometimes you sneak up on it instead. Life is just working, goofing around, sleeping, every day. etc.

Skyrim is also immersive and has a nice leveling system, but let's be droll and look at it at such an abstract level it becomes absurd, eh?

Postby EagleMan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:46 pm

I got bored pretty quickly with this game, but I think the setting of Fallout just interests me more.

Plus there's really nothing to the companions.

Postby Asmodai » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Vegedus wrote:Eh, it's not hard to make a game sound boring on paper. For instance, Mass Effect is just running down corridors, shooting dudes, then talking to dudes, over and over. Arkham City is just going to A to B, beating the crap out of every living thing, though sometimes you sneak up on it instead. Life is just working, goofing around, sleeping, every day. etc.

Skyrim is also immersive and has a nice leveling system, but let's be droll and look at it at such an abstract level it becomes absurd, eh?

At least all those games you listed had better stories in them. Especially Mass Effect, where it felt like the conversations actually mattered. Unlike in Skyrim, where it hardly ever matters what option you pick, since the outcome is always the same. I dare you to try and deny getting at the head of any of the Guilds, even if you dont want it, its still thrust upon you. That's shoddy roleplaying if you ask me.
And Arkham City had a good storyline AND a much, much better combat system. Skyrim's battle system feels so detached.

*EPIC BOSS FIGHT!*

FIGHT THE DRAGON!

*hit it for 5 minutes long, while it continuously does the same bite attack on you without much effect*

Things like that take the immersion away from me.
Mephobiac

Postby Skull-Boy666 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Asmodai wrote:"I have seen dragons. Perhaps you will see a dragon. I won't say where I saw one. Perhaps I did not."

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet."
Look who I found!
I'm in your house, touching your stuff

Postby Senel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Is he supposed to be hard to find?

Postby True Order » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm

No, not really. A lot of random events happen if you just walk along the roads.

M'aiq is more rare than most of the events though. But he's not quite as rewarding as some of them.
Overthinker

Postby Skull-Boy666 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:07 pm

True Order wrote:No, not really. A lot of random events happen if you just walk along the roads.

M'aiq is more rare than most of the events though. But he's not quite as rewarding as some of them.

I like 'em, besides I met him in a really interesting way. So I was investigating some murders, but then the guards turn on me and pin several murders on me that I didn't do (though I had killed a bunch of people in that town earlier, to be fair) after I jumped on the hourse I just happen to have bought earlier, got away from the guards, then saw him just chillin' on the road.

But then, as I'm in the middle of talking to him, a dragon pops out and he starts fleeing, Haha!
I'm in your house, touching your stuff

Postby EagleMan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 am

So you were basically like "Officer, officer.. I didn't murder those people".

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Recently got this game, and I have to say that, I love the spellcasting. Freeze 'em to death, bring them back to life, freeze 'em again. Lots more Exp and get's rid of the bodies.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Ro Wong » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Get Enchanting up. Max the first perk, and get the 100 perk for two enchantments per item.

Congrats. You can now create armor, helms, rings, and necklaces that will give you infinite use of whatever schools of magic you put onto your gear. Feel free to rain down your demi-god wrath upon Skyrim in a flurry of fire, ice, and giant lightning bolts.
Demon of Elru

Postby Vegedus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:07 am

So, mods. Anyone using any? I must say, Steam Workshop makes it truly trivial to install mods. I've got some 20 now, and have had no conflicts or bugs arise. Not even a single crash. Most mods are still small fixes and stuff, so the only really great ones I have is SkyUI and Categorized Favorites which really improves the interface. I haven't found anyone that fixes the games enemy scaling system, so I guess I have to buckle down and make it myself. I'm thinking something that determines enemies levels based on the players highest skill levels, modified based on how useful those skills are for combat. After all, the lethalness of a character is based more on him having a 100 in sneak than his 50 in restoration, block, destruction and alteration.

Also, I've created my third character, the one with which I'm planning to complete the games majority of quests and mess around with mods with. I'm considering writing up some detailed backstory to get really into the roleplaying. His looks, skills and planned affiliations already hints at a personality.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:07 am

For the Greater Good

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 am

Hot damn, I really want this daedric armour...Maybe the second time round I'll be a melee fighter.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming