New Skull Boy Comic: "Page 20"

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby SnafuBot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:53 pm

Go check out the new Skull Boy comic!

Re: New Skull Boy Comic:

Postby AkuTenshiiZero » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 am

I do hope the unjustified hate for this comic doesn't end up destroying it. I'm glad to see a new comic that doesn't rely on people who laugh at gore just for being gore (AKA people who sincerely need to be committed).

To go off on a tangent, this comic has gore/zombies/crazy people, but the focus is on the characters and their quirky personalities. Then we have Satan's Excrement, which goes "HERE'S A DEAD FETUS AND COCKS LAUGH." And yet it gets praise, while Skull Boy gets bashed for at least making an attempt at wit. Well, I guess that's what happens when being a hair's breadth from becoming a serial killer is "trendy".

Is Skull Boy a perfect comic? No, it could definitely use some improvement. Is it a good comic? Well, it's keeping my attention and making me want to know where the story will go now that the cast introduction phase is more-or-less concluded, so yeah it's good. I just think it's a bit unfair to bash the comic for things like the names (Would calling him Jim or Fred make that major a difference?) or the art (Because Satan's is like the pinnacle of art right?)

Rant concluded. Keep up the comic-ing.

Re: New Skull Boy Comic:

Postby Skull-Boy666 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:51 am

...Wow, I would actually like to say thanks, even as a rant this is a surprisingly thoughtful and honest comment.

I know my comic isn't perfect, but I'm glad there is someone recognizing that I'm attempting to break out of my old mold and bring something different to the table, I was starting to think my efforts were going unnoticed. Skull-Boy is one of those projects I've never gotten to get out from under, everyone keeps asking for more, even at its worst, and it makes it hard for me to grow as an artist. I have some interesting stuff planned for its future, including some new character development on Skull-Boy himself (odd that even as the main character, he grows the least, I want to change that)

I love Mosama and his work, it's really growing on me, it's kind of funny how we both arrived on the scene almost at the same time. His art style is progressing and becoming slicker, I think his heart's in the right place and I hope he keeps bettering himself like he has been, not to mention he's put a lot of hard work into getting his spot on Snafu, he deserves to be here. I got real lucky in getting to meet Dave in person and he pretty much opened the door for me. A little face time goes a loooong way. But yeah, his work isn't perfect either, but I started out in almost the exact same way he has, so I can really understand where his work is coming from and relate to him, he's a good guy and a good friend.

And yeah, I don't like how overused my chosen theme is, but I never went into webcomics with the intent of doing a popular theme, my motivations where completely innocent from the start, and I just had really bad, yet good, timing. (Bad timing as an artist, good timing for popularity)

I never even read Jhonen Vasquez work until I was into the first 2 years of making Skull-Boy comics, so imagine how frustrated I was as an artist when I found out I was doing the exact same thing as someone far more popular and accomplished then myself was doing and how that made me look to others. In a word "...fuck." I mean, at least Mosama isn't doing EXACTALLY what Jhonen did with Johnny, anyone who looks at my stuff immediately assumes I'm a fan of his work... okay, I am a fan of his work, but that's not the point...

What most people don't get is, when I created the concept for Skull-Boy, I was inspired by (ripping off) Rob Zombie, his movie "House of a Thousand Corpses" was what set me on that path in the first place (If you watch El Super Beasto, that's basically what I wanted Skull-Boy to be, which is kinda weird considering the huge time gap between those movies) Obviously, it didn't quiet work out that way. If I was a bit more developed as an artist and a story teller when I started out, maybe this series would be more like how I wanted it to be by now.

I feel really bad the only reason I've survived this long is because how automatically popular my whole angle is, and that it's mostly from someone else's success, so I don't want to just skid by on that alone, I want to bring something of my own to the table. If all my effort only amounts to slightly more complex characters, well that's a pretty good step forward in my book.

I would really like it if Skull-Boy eventually became more like an action-based anime, kinda like... well, funnily enough, Soul Eater, very character focused and pays off with big action, that's the direction I'm trying to go for these days. Even though I've pulled away from Anime in recent years, when it works, I love how abstract and weird even the most sterile animes can get, and I'd like to embodie some of that in my own series.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd reply with some of my own thoughts on the matter, as I don't get to express myself on this often, and I really do appreciate it when the negativeness doesn't come from that classic, unfocused "Internet rage" and instead is thought out, helpful and lets me know I'm not just shooting blanks all the time.

It makes me happy to know that some of you have stuck with me through thick and thin
Rambling finished, thanks for your thoughts :)
I'm in your house, touching your stuff

Return to Comic Updates and News!