Somewhere: OOC

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Somewhere: OOC

Postby InsaneWhisper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:38 am

This RP will always be open to anyone and will be open-world.

Welcome to Somewhere

If this works out the way I want it to, then this RP is going to be more than a little odd. This is RP is about creating a character and about discovery. Sounds simple I know, but in the end it won’t be.

Somewhere is the world where this plot takes place however; I don’t plan to tell you much about it at first. Part of the point of this RP is to learn about Somewhere.
Things to know:
- No surface is clearly reflective
- The world may or may not be round
- Somewhere is rather massive
- Characteristics of the world change from place to place and this is not limited to the terrain
- Once a part of Somewhere has been visited it is a permanent part of the world.
- Normal physics apply unless otherwise stated
- This is not in any cartoon-esque style; think of it as live-action if you will
If you have ideas for places PM them to me. If I approve them you may elaborate on the place and it can become part of Somewhere.

Your character has no distinct characteristics at first except for their eyes. No skin-tone, age, gender, not even a name. Your character will be given a code so that we (the RPers) can tell them apart, but it will never be used in dialogue. Using it in-narrative is fine. In dialogue the characters will call each other by characteristics of the character.

This is where the character sheet comes in. You start with nothing but a code and eye colour as I’ve said. You progress from there. Think of your character as a blank slate. As the characters move along you can have them take on whatever traits you want for each post – one post a man, one a woman, one rude, one kind. You are literally free to change your character however you want. This means a lot of freedom, but because this is an RP and needs structure there will be a rule set in place to keep people in check: any changes MUST be added to the CS no matter how minor. There will also be some limits for the sake of fairness: there will be no editing your character during fights and other action scenes. This is to stop people from taking advantage of the system to win. THIS IS IMPORTANT: Whatever changes you make to them, the characters WILL remember what they were like before.

Backstory: You do not have one at first – more specifically you’ve yet to discover it. As with personality, clothes, and appearance, you will be able to add and change your character’s back story.

The LAST thing you will choose for your character is a name. DO NOT DO THIS until you have completely settled on the character you want. THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS RP: to create a character – a true character with a personality. Once you have completed a character you may continue on as your character OR make a new one. If you want to make a new character this requires you to disengage your original character from the plot entirely (they essentially disappear). Your new character will receive a code, and you will begin again. Unless approved by myself or a co-GM THERE IS ONLY ONE PLOT-IMPORTANT CHARACTER PER PERSON AT A TIME.

As far as powers and abilities go: No God-modding or I reserve the right to kick you. This means make your powers fair. Besides that obvious tidbit, there will be A Book that the group has. It writes all sorts of information in itself that could help or harm (A Book has a changing personality so be wary). Things it may tell you: towns nearby, local monsters, and things that work/do not work in the area (ex: “fire magic is strong in this area”). This is NOT a freebie though. A Book can set rules in exchange for the information – this includes, but is not limited to limiting the RPers ability to change their character for a period of time.

NPCs: Feel free to make basic NPCs if needed (ex: shopkeepers, hotel owners, merchants, women in brothels); however, these must be static characters meant for nothing more than to help your character to do tasks. If you want to make a more plot-important NPC, it should be discussed with me or a co-GM. The reasoning behind these limits is to make sure you focus on your single character and his/her growth. Aside from this I will be taking the more traditional GM role in controlling most plot-important NPCs.

THERE IS ONE EXCEPTION TO THIS, and that is in the area of bosses, pre-bosses, mobs, and others we may fight. These will be created and controlled by the RPers. The enemy or enemies will need logical limitations, but should be created so that they are best defeated by groups. I will go through the list of RPers in order of those who joined as we come across fights, and each person will be in charge of controlling the enemy/enemies. They will be required to submit a brief description of the enemy(ies) to me to be approved (I’m mostly just checking for fairness). One advantage I’m giving enemies is this: So long as the enemy(ies) remain within the same strength area as they were originally, the creator of the enemy may change it ONCE within a fight.

Dying: If your character dies in the fight and there is no cleric-like character to resurrect your character, then he/she will remain dead until the end of the fight. If the team wipes out you are all instantly resurrected. Here is the limiting factor: unless resurrected by a cleric-like character, your character will be subject to the random number generator/dice.
1) Stronger than before
2) Weaker than before
3) Same as before
4) Weaker than before
5) Same as before
6) Very weak

Whatever you get will remain with you until the end of either the fight you are in (if you group wipe) or until the end of the next fight (if there was not a group wipe). Deliberate suicide is NOT allowed (yes, I saw the loop-hole too, so I’m plugging it). When resurrected by a cleric-like character, they must also heal wounds you had before dying (though not the killing wound). When resurrected by default (end of fight or group wipe), you will come back healed.

If your character died they will remember dying, though they will not remember being dead. Coming back to life is disorienting, so there will be no quick reactions after resurrection.

When you begin: Your character is in a blank area with a huge flashing black line. They are completely unknown to themselves. Who they are and who they’ve been has yet to be discovered. As soon as you write a defining characteristic (what they see of themselves, or how they react to where they are) they are teleported to where the other characters are in Somewhere. Thus you begin.

Character Sheet: This is only an example. Feel free to make your own CS design. It will start out blank other than the eyes and the code. Yes you may change your eye colour, I just thought it necessary to have at least one defining characteristic when you start out. I went with the eyes because it is the one thing the character cannot see of his or herself. THIS IS IMPORTANT: The appearance of the character is based only on what the character can see of his or herself. This is the reason for no reflective surfaces.

Code:
Name: (There are NO last names)
Appearance:
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Magic: (if they use it)
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:

The OOC will play an important role in this RP, since a lot of the RP requires RPers to interact. I would venture to say it is probably just as important as the IC.

If I can manage to, I hope to get up a site that will have compilations of abilities we come up with, and other information.

On an important note, I expect you to write at or above the level accepted for someone your age. In other words I want well written posts. This is non-negotiable; I do not want people posting garbage in my RP.

Some Other Rules:
I will not always kick people for doing things wrong of course. In most cases I will give warnings and if it continues I will put you on probation before kicking.

Blatant plagiarism will reduce your character to its base state on the first offense. This means starting over entirely. Second offence means you are kicked. This may be appealed (process mentioned in a bit). If your appeal is successful you will follow the rules stated for the first offense. If you do it again you will be kicked with no appeal.

I reserve the right to kick anyone if I feel they are detracting from the RP. I will explain my reasoning via PM. You may follow the same appeal process for this. If your appeal succeeds you will be on probation until I see fit to lift it. If you do not fix the problem leading to the original kicking you will be permanently kicked with no further appeals.

My definition of probation: I will be watching you very closely, so toe the line with caution.

Appeal process: Via PM you will attempt to argue your case fully and convincingly. If you cannot convince me to give you another chance then I will send you a final PM saying “Cotton Candy” after which the decision is final. If you continue after that I will be forced to consult a Moderator about you.

If you feel that another player is covered by either of the two rules mentioned before then report it to me via a PM that includes your reasoning. I will then review the case.

Inactivity: If you are inactive your character will go on autopilot as you left them, however unless you warned me prior about why you are inactive your character will become an enemy magnet. The enemy will go after inactive characters as if that character has done them a personal wrong (persistently I might add). Cases of inactivity are the only time in fights where a random number generator will be used to find the results of attacks on a character (under most circumstances). If you have chronic inactivity or are inactive for a long time you will receive a warning. If it continues your character will be taken back down to the base elements and you will have to start over on a character once you come back. If this occurs often then you will be kicked. You may appeal. If you succeed in your appeal you will be on probation. If it is still a problem you will be kicked with no appeal.

A random number generator may be used if there is uncertainty about a situation (did the person really react fast enough?) Under normal circumstances logic will be employed instead to decide these things.

Finally, I reserve the right to change ANY of this so long as I give a warning before-hand. This too can be appealed though: if the players feel that changes I am making are unfair then they may put forward their opinions and reasoning. THIS IS NOT A VOTE; however, I consider myself a fair person and will listen to these opinions, consider them, and if I deem them true I will consent to them and reconsider the changes I had planned to make.

GM
InsaneWhisper: Shindig
Co-GM
icbmalaria: Confetti
Duce

Co-GMs will serve as rule enforcers if I am not online. In addition to this they will support me if I find myself spread too thin. They have the capacity to create places and NPCs within the RP. If decisions are made while I am away they will pass along information to me so that I may see what has occurred in full. You will treat their word as law unless I say otherwise.

Accepted:
Hiroko: Cabinet
Elend-X: Marmalade
Mattionus: Towel
NeoWarrior7: Yoohoo
My_Little_Sister: Toffee
maru-shadow: Crochet
Bolts: Laundry
Burnyourhousedown: Snapple
Villain: Frisbee
Khanman: Potpourri
Asmodai: Wardrobe
Iris: Pumpernickel
Yossarian: Stucco
Last edited by InsaneWhisper on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Zee Captain: "Better dig your heels in"
Mr. Snippy: "Why? What?"
Zee Captain: "..."

Re: Somewhere: OOC

Postby Burnyourhousedown » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:06 am

I guess I'll start out then.

Code: Snapple
Name:
Appearance: Saffron orange eyes, has two broadswords in place of frontal arms and two long, spindly arms growing from its back. Its legs are amphibious and moisture-coated, and its feet are three-toed and scaly.
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Magic:
Race:
Class:
Weapons: Has swords for arms
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by Burnyourhousedown on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Hiroko » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:57 am

I'd like to join this RP. The concept really sparked my interest when you first pitched it in the idea board. I hope it goes well. =)

Code: Cabinet
Name:
Appearance: Pale grey eyes.
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Magic:
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by Hiroko on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sentimental One

Postby Vegedus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:15 am

I must say, those are the most amazing character sheets I've ever seen.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Asmodai » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:43 am

somewhere, over the rainbow!
Mephobiac

Postby Elend-X » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:24 am

CS WIP (sort of)
xD

Code: Marmalade
Name:
Appearance: Strange wide eyes, that are completely white and have no iris at all. Most people would freak out if they saw those unemotional eyes, since without an iris it's like looking at a blank slate. Sometimes, for reasons unknown the eyes blink with different colours. The colours mean something, but who knows what... These changes are accompanied with sharp pains. On the arms the fair skin is almost white and the multiple scars that cover the arms are red in stark contrast with the skin.
Personality: Curious and quiet
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Magic:
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by Elend-X on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Matthonius » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:41 am

Code: Towel
Name:
Appearance: Pure Red eyes
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Magic:
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:

hardest CS ever.
Last edited by Matthonius on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dragonborn Dragonborn, by his honour is sworn, to keep evil forever at bay
and the fiercest foes rout, when they hear triumph's shout.

Dragonborn for your blessing we pray, and the scrolls have fortold, of black wings in the cold
that when brothers wage war come unfurled, Alduin bane of kings, ancient shadow unbound
with a hunger to swallow the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50u0zUeCmU

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Why not, this seems interesting.

Code: Yoohoo
Name:
Appearance: Brown eyes
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by NeoWarrior7 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the Greater Good

Postby Villain » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:03 pm

Code:Frisbee
Gender: Male, probably..................maybe, most likely.
Appearance: Firey putrid green eyes behind a metal helmet. The entire armor set is grimy and dirty and if the state of filth continues like this it'll eventually be pure black from the dirt. The gloves, much like the rest of the armor is rough and is made up of metal linked together (The fingers themselves are like several ice cream cones slided in one after the other in a layer). Boils dot across the body with pus secreting from the boils/other holes in the armor. His voice is haggard and filled with flem.  
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes: 
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by Villain on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For the king, For the king, For the sake of Skyrim. For the Nine, for the hope of High Hrothgar's pass, and for all of Sovngarde; Where the souls sing your song. For the king, For our King, who will guard Hrothgar! Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin, wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin norok paal graan, fod nust hon zindro zaan, Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

Postby Belwicket » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Code: Toffee
Name:
Appearance: Deep Blue Eyes
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Magic:
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by Belwicket on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Elend-X » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Little Sis, sorry to ruin your idea but the thing is you have to start with just the description of your eyes. Nothing else. No names no nothing except the eyes. Read what Whisper wrote more attentively.

Postby Maru » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Hey, what's code supposed to be. I finally decided to rp on this site and I've already introduced myself before..
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Manly Crust Breather

Postby Belwicket » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Elend-X wrote:Little Sis, sorry to ruin your idea but the thing is you have to start with just the description of your eyes. Nothing else. No names no nothing except the eyes. Read what Whisper wrote more attentively.

The way I read it was you only start with the eyes in-game but can fill out the CS here. GM's call, I'd say.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Hiroko » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:20 pm

InsaneWhisper wrote:Your character will be given a code so that we (the RPers) can tell them apart, but it will never be used in dialogue. Using it in-narrative is fine. In dialogue the characters will call each other by characteristics of the character.

InsaneWhisper wrote:Feel free to make your own CS design. It will start out blank other than the eyes and the code. Yes you may change your eye colour, I just thought it necessary to have at least one defining characteristic when you start out.

1. I might be wrong, but the first thing bolded in the first quote seems to imply that the GM is supposed to assign us the codes. I don't think we're supposed to come up with them ourselves. Would make more sense, anyway, as otherwise, everyone will have vastly different (and confusing) codes if left to us to decide. Again, I could be wrong, but I just thought I should point that out.

2. The second and third thing bolded in the second quote say that the character sheet will be blank with the exception of the code and eye color. I believe you're supposed to fill the character sheet out as you go along in the RP and things are discovered about your character. After all, the main purpose of this rp is to create and develop a character, not come in with one that's already pre-made.
The Sentimental One

Postby Elend-X » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Hm... Didn't think about the code... I liked my code. But if Whisper confirms it and gives us a code, I'll be happy to oblige. Also I'm pretty sure a lot of people have an idea for the character they want to built, I know I do, that doesn't mean they have to just write everything down already.

Postby Maru » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Screw it... If the GM wants to give me a code he can just erase or use mine.

Code: Crochet
Appearance: Violet eyes
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by Maru on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
My DA
Manly Crust Breather

Postby InsaneWhisper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Hiroko wrote:
InsaneWhisper wrote:Your character will be given a code so that we (the RPers) can tell them apart, but it will never be used in dialogue. Using it in-narrative is fine. In dialogue the characters will call each other by characteristics of the character.

InsaneWhisper wrote:Feel free to make your own CS design. It will start out blank other than the eyes and the code. Yes you may change your eye colour, I just thought it necessary to have at least one defining characteristic when you start out.

1. I might be wrong, but the first thing bolded in the first quote seems to imply that the GM is supposed to assign us the codes. I don't think we're supposed to come up with them ourselves. Would make more sense, anyway, as otherwise, everyone will have vastly different (and confusing) codes if left to us to decide. Again, I could be wrong, but I just thought I should point that out.

2. The second and third thing bolded in the second quote say that the character sheet will be blank with the exception of the code and eye color. I believe you're supposed to fill the character sheet out as you go along in the RP and things are discovered about your character. After all, the main purpose of this rp is to create and develop a character, not come in with one that's already pre-made.

Thanks Hiroko dear, and thanks to you too Elend-X :)

As Hiroko said, I was planning on giving out codes to prevent things like:

Villain wrote:Code:80 108 97 103 117 101 32 75 110 105 103 104 116

and
My_Little_Sister wrote:Code: 467 141 276 467 791 472 576 273 137 945

Seriously guys? These would be impossible to remember. None of that. /swats wrists/

As for the character sheets, MLS please pay better attention and read the whole thing. Not only should you have known not to fill out the CS beyond the eyes, but you DEFINITELY should have known not to name the character. In addition as we progress feel free to add whatever sections you think you need for your CS, mine was only a simple example.

Aaaaanyway, I'll give you all some codes, but if you have a strong want to keep the one you have (unless it's one of the ungodly long ones) let me know and I'll consider it.

Burn: Snapple
Hiroko: Cabinet
Elend-X: Marmalade
Matt: Towel
NeoWarrior: Yoohoo
Villain: Frisbee
Maru: Crochet

Hmm if I missed something let me know... MLS I'll give you yours when you've cleared out your profile. /thumbs up/

Oh and I'm a girl Maru :)

Postby Hiroko » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:05 am

Lol, those are some awesome code names right there. XD
The Sentimental One

Postby Maru » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:07 am

...Crochet? lol

Also, is mine okay?
My DA
Manly Crust Breather

Postby InsaneWhisper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:38 am

Swap your code with Crochet and you'll be good /thumbs up/

Postby Belwicket » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:55 am

Done.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Maru » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:02 am

Bada-Boom
My DA
Manly Crust Breather

Postby InsaneWhisper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:11 am

Coolio, your code is gonna be Toffee MLS.

Postby Bolts » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:23 am

Somehow, SOMEHOW, I managed to find the energy to write this.

Code: Laundry
Appearance: Fiery Orange Eyes
Personality:
Job/Occupation:
Hobby:
Likes/Dislikes:
Race:
Class:
Weapons:
Abilities:
Backstory:
Last edited by Bolts on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby InsaneWhisper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:34 am

Bolts wrote:Somehow, SOMEHOW, I managed to find the energy to write this.

Careful there, don't wanna get blisters on your fingers Bolts.

As for your code it shall be Laundry.

Next

Return to Role Playing