Dead Island

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Dead Island

Postby Archrival » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Read the book. Makes a better film than the game.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Asmodai » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:11 am

Mephobiac

Postby True Order » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:19 pm

I Think you guys might like this. it was released last February, it is a Literal version of the announcement trailer for Dead Island.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5c9BzohM4
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Asmodai » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Goddamn it, thank you for reminding me what a let down the storyline of Dead Island is...

Great movie though, I got a laugh out of it
Mephobiac

Postby True Order » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Your very welcome, I love seeing positive reactions from Tobuscus's videos. :mrgreen:
By the way, since this game has been out for awhile can we discuss spoilers?
Overthinker

Postby Asmodai » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:18 am

Whats there to spoil? (almost) everybody is dead, you get meaningless go here, get that, come back quests, and in the meantime you get to play genocide

I haven't completed the game yet, mostly due to lack of story... but I cant imagine there being any good plot twists
Mephobiac

Postby Glahardt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:33 am

Seriously man, I know you don't like the story but you need to stop being an asshat about it.
There is one, hence it can be spoiled. No matter how bad it is.

Postby True Order » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:41 am

Is that one plot twist about how the the people turned into zombies? Because that's what I'd like to know. I love seeing how creative and less than creative some games can be when they explain how the zombie apocalypse started.
Overthinker

Postby Archrival » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Asmodai wrote:Whats there to spoil? (almost) everybody is dead, you get meaningless go here, get that, come back quests, and in the meantime you get to play genocide

I haven't completed the game yet, mostly due to lack of story... but I cant imagine there being any good plot twists

There is actually a spolier if you read the book that's with it.    The guy you leave with on the helicopter is actually a major world terrorist.   
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby True Order » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:35 pm

There is actually a spolier if you read the book that's with it.    The guy you leave with on the helicopter is actually a major world terrorist.   

Interesting! Does that mean that    the zombie outbreak was caused by a biological weapon? That'd be my guess   
Overthinker

Postby Archrival » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:54 pm

True Order wrote:

Interesting! Does that mean that    the zombie outbreak was caused by a biological weapon? That'd be my guess   

It was planned that way in the book, the guy in the helicopter takes the four captive and says that the virus was tested on the island as a trial so that they could refine it into a bio weapon and then sell it to the highest bidder.   
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby True Order » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:04 pm

HAHA! I was right! It always surprises me how most of my educated guesses are correct. But about the way they become zombies, I feel like that mannerism is overdone.    I mean didn't Resident Evil do that?   
Overthinker

Postby Skull-Boy666 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm playing Dead Island and it really isn't that bad, though I do wish the focus was less on these douche, muscle headed "Yo Dawg!" kind of people. The game really does wreak of "We're trying to reach the broadest audience we can" and it takes some of the immersion away from me when the game starts off, with you in first person perspective of someone who's a complete asshole, and then tells us nothing about who you where just in first person perspective as, it's a weird way to start a game.

The recent tweaks makes the combat a lot better, and though the combat does get a bit repetitive, you kind of expect that kind of combat in a sandbox multiplayer, it's certainly not as boring as some game combat at least, and it's far from the worst. I bought it on sale, so I'm also very generous with my opinion of it.
I'm in your house, touching your stuff

Postby Asmodai » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm

From what I've heard, the latest few updates broke the game even more... no bugs were fixed and combat was nerfed like a baseball bat to the kneecap.

I pirated the game, and I think its a waste of my time :/
Mephobiac

Postby Archrival » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Skull-Boy666 wrote:I'm playing Dead Island and it really isn't that bad, though I do wish the focus was less on these douche, muscle headed "Yo Dawg!" kind of people. The game really does wreak of "We're trying to reach the broadest audience we can" and it takes some of the immersion away from me when the game starts off, with you in first person perspective of someone who's a complete asshole, and then tells us nothing about who you where just in first person perspective as, it's a weird way to start a game.

The recent tweaks makes the combat a lot better, and though the combat does get a bit repetitive, you kind of expect that kind of combat in a sandbox multiplayer, it's certainly not as boring as some game combat at least, and it's far from the worst. I bought it on sale, so I'm also very generous with my opinion of it.

The book fleshes out the characters more, Logan especially who goes from whiny douche to sarcastic but likeable.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 pm

But the story in a game, should not be dependent on a book... For all I care its the best book in the world, it still doesnt take away the fact that the characters in the game are about as interesting as a wet blanket.

Most disappointing game of 2011
Mephobiac

Postby Archrival » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Asmodai wrote:But the story in a game, should not be dependent on a book... For all I care its the best book in the world, it still doesnt take away the fact that the characters in the game are about as interesting as a wet blanket.

Most disappointing game of 2011

So the characters are wet so what? The storyline is fine if you know the whole of it. Hopefully Dead World will actually transfer the characters from the book better. Not that there is a book....yet.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 pm

So what? I'm supposed to feel for these people, believe they're in some hard struggle for survival, to want them to survive. And all this should be achieved without some complementary book.
The game's storyline is horrible, the characters are horrible, the gameplay is mediocre at best, and even with patches, its still riddled with bugs and glitches.

This game had HUGE potential, an open world RPG, with compelling characters. Instead we get a mediocre hack & slash with no real thrill to it.
Mephobiac

Postby Mathias » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:47 pm

I was just glancing at this in Wal-Mart tonight and wondering if it was worth buying. Then I come in here and see that the thread is revived. Maybe I will consider it further...

Postby Remni » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:50 am

I've oddly enough been playing it for the past week. Only thing I can genuinely say is that all the playable characters except for Xian are complete dicks. Every cutscene I see them in shows them all being selfish pricks, besides her. I'm glad I picked her as my starting char. Cause you know, bladed weapons work better than anything else (and the occasional mace with bleeding damage)
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Mathias » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Well, I bought. Probably won't play it for a while because the tv is in the living room and my roommates use the living room (I am antisocial).

Previous

Return to Snafu Gaming