Battlefield 3 - OMG IT'S HERE

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Battlefield 3 - OMG IT'S HERE

Postby Ganon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 am

Battlefield 3's Open Beta starts on Sept. 29th.
More info in the link.

Anyone else getting in on this action, bromos?
Further, anyone got the early-access pre-order business that let's you start playing on the 27th?
Last edited by Ganon on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRISIS: Equestria (Chapters 1-33)
Current Work-in-Progress: CRISIS: Equestria - Chapter 34/35 - Status - 34: 99% done; 35 - 33% Done
Revision Progress: Chapter 16 - NOT YET STARTED
Author

Re: Battlefield 3 Beta - Sept. 29th

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:14 am

Might give it a try.
I'd have to do X-box, as I'm fairly sure this computer wouldn't be able to play it, unless they had an ultra-low setting.
For the Greater Good

Postby Asmodai » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:24 am

I played the Alpha, definitely looking forward to this!

A shame there's no new map though
Mephobiac

Postby Coos » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Beta?
29th?
I'm game.

Postby Asmodai » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:19 am

Early access beta is go!
Mephobiac

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Computer can't start it without the graphics processor failing. Ah, well.
For the Greater Good

Postby Asmodai » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:06 am

You're currently not missing much, it's glitchy like heck... hell, it plays worse than the alpha :/

DAMN YOU SINK HOLE, LET ME PLAY THE DAMNED GAME!
Mephobiac

Postby Glahardt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:33 am

SO MUCH FLARE

So easy to grief.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm

God. So much glitching.

I can't even stab the gits, I have to rush them with grenades to get a kill.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Asmodai » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:37 pm

The weird thing is, when the early access was underway, there were no problems whatsoever... it only started happening a day ago
Mephobiac

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:44 pm

I think it's more my signal than anything.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Ganon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:30 pm

SO! Last day of the Beta, I'm gonna use it to deliver a review.
First off, this is my first Battlefield game since BF2, so I haven't been privvy to all the little changes they've made in between with 2142 and the Bad Company series.
Things I like:
I like the kit customization, and especially the weapon accessory system. I can really custom-fit my kit and weapon to my playstyle. I tend to favor mid-to-long-range combat, so I like throwing good scopes on my weapons, sitting back, and providing supporting fire for my allies.
Speaking of supporting fire, I adore the Suppressive Fire feature. My K/D spread isn't always super impressive, but I still usually end up in the higher tier of points on my team because of all the suppressive fire I provide. Keep the guy pinned so that he can't actively look around him and spot other threats, fun stuff.
I love the new features of the Squad system - being able to spawn on any of my squadmates makes it easier than ever to stick together and work together. Add that to the Squad leader's ability to mark objectives, and giving him and the squad bonus points for following that order, and suddenly teamwork is much more encouraged. Now if only everyone who played the game would assign/follow orders, maybe this feature would get more use. Whenever I'm Squad Leader, I mark objectives that I'm going for, and expect my squad to follow me. 50% of the time, they don't. And I've yet to be on a squad where my Squad Leader assigned orders, and they never listen when I tell them to. Hey! It's free points! DO IT!
I like the scope glare on the high-zoom scopes, even the ones the assault rifles can use. I can see snipers a mile away now, so if my reaction time is good enough I can often avoiding losing my head and still have time to spot.
I like Bipods. No, I LOVE Bipods. The Support class is slowly becoming my favorite, if only because Bipod + 4x Scope + PKP = Machine Gun Sniping, which I am VERY good at. People forget that the only reason the MGs are inaccurate is the recoil - manually fire your shots one at a time and the gun is as accurate as a rifle. I've out-sniped actual snipers with it, no joke. LOVE the PKP.
Engineers get Anti-Air rocket launchers. Best. Decision. Ever.
Destructible environments are FUN. Learning what can and can't be blown apart with enough effort is a game in itself. It's just as exhilarating to blow apart a wall and kill someone that was hiding behind it, as it is to have the wall you were hiding behind explode, survive, and have to run like a beast to live. FUN.

What I dislike:
The inability to assign Fire Mode and Main Weapon to the same button, like BF2 did. In BF2, the default button for your main gun was 3. If you had your main gun out and pushed 3 again, you switched fire mode (single or burst, whatever). In BF3, if you manually assign them both to the same button, yeah, that still works. BUT, if you have a different weapon out and push your main gun button, it ALSO changes your main gun's fire mode at the same time. So I have to get used to having a different button for fire mode changes. Meh.
Oh my GOD, everyone needs to chill out with the fucking Tactical Lights. I've been blinded more by allies than enemies with the fucking things. I understand the appeal of them - if you blaze around a corner and there's a guy there, chances are you have a split-second advantage as he gets blinded and is shooting erratically in your general direction. The downside is, PEOPLE KEEP THEM ON ALL THE TIME. This ruins the element of surprise! The guy around the corner knows you're coming cause your dumbass light is bobbing along on the opposite wall! He can even judge your distance by how big the light is, and start spraying bullets just as you peek your stupid head around. Use the Laser Sight, it's better, and does the same thing - you look right at it, it is disorienting, but it is smaller and less likely to fuck with your allies, and you don't give your position away quite as badly.
A general complaint, people don't seem to like throwing ammo/health packs down with the frequency I would like. I throw my ammo kits down when I'm playing support, but because I usually find a good defensive position and stick there for that portion of the round, my ammo is mainly being given to allies who are nearby. Don't expect me to run to the other side of the map to give you ammo. My squad almost always has no ammo trouble, IF they're sticking nearby.

Looking forward to the official release!
Current Work-in-Progress: CRISIS: Equestria - Chapter 34/35 - Status - 34: 99% done; 35 - 33% Done
Author

Postby Iris » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:56 pm

I'd like to add, for the love of god fix the squad system! I want to be able to play with my friends and not with three idiots who just sit there picking their noses while the charge has been set!

Also on that general feel, I hope they fix the party system and make sure it allows the entire party to join a game at once.

Other than that the game is awesome and can't wait until the full release!

Postby Ganon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 pm

One major thing I like too, is the vehicle upgrade system. I can justify camping the spawn screen for a jet if your jet is super tricked-out. Let the guy with flares and ATG missiles get in over the guys just sporting the gun. If you want to earn your jet stripes, do it on a low-pop server?
It makes it easy at a glance to tell if that tank/jet/chopper is being driven my a pro, just like seeing certain guns or equipment is for infantry kits.

Only downside is that vehicle kills don't count for your kit score. Truth be told, that's how I got my Anti-Tank Expert medal - being just as pro IN a tank as I am against them.
Author

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:49 pm

At home for Fall break, played on the Xbox. Quite fun, a few neat upgrades from BF Bad Company 2.

I'd have to agree with many of Ganon's points, though many of the features were in BFBC2 so I knew them already.
My main complaint is it seems the vehicle map was PC only. Which means I never got to try them.
And X-box was the same map, Metro. In Rush mode. Over. And Over.

Everyone must have memorized every inch of that map by now.
For the Greater Good

Postby Asmodai » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:04 am

Ganon wrote:The inability to assign Fire Mode and Main Weapon to the same button, like BF2 did.

This, this, this, this, a million times this. In both BF2 and BC(2) I switched through firing modes like Hugh Hefner goes through bunnies. But now it's assigned to some god forsaken key that isn't very intuitive.

Although, strangely enough, it seems that guns are more accurate when "spraying" than when you're using single shot. Hoping that they'll address that.
Mephobiac

Postby Ganon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:28 pm

I barely used single shot at all, honestly. Usually two-burst works just as well and give me a fighting chance if I'm caught in CQC.
Author

Re: Battlefield 3 - ONE MORE DAY

Postby Ganon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:13 am

The big day is almost here, y'all! Who's all getting in on the real deal?
Author

Postby DaCrum » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:37 am

Tuesday at midnight, right? I've got my preorder, and since I'm gonna be sleeping for most of Monday, I might as well go to the midnight release.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Ganon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:05 am

Yup yup.
Those of us ingenious people that preordered through Origin already have the game installed, we're just waiting for Tuesday, 12:00am
Author

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:47 am

Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Asmodai » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eedRhcpOsuU

TV ad for BF3, really nicely edited I genuinely had difficulty seeing what was real or fake.
Mephobiac

Postby Glahardt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 am

So PC Gamer is delaying their review due to connection issues.
Hahaha.

Postby True Order » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:30 am

Well geez. I feel like I'm missing out. I did have the game pre-ordered but I'm not gonna be able to get until late tomorrow and I won't even be able to play it til the day after. Gah, being busy sucks. Especially when its the boring kind of busy
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Re: Battlefield 3 - OMG IT'S HERE

Postby Ganon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Well if anyone with the PC version wants to add me as a friend and pop some heads, look up good ol' GanonFLCL
Author

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming