Steve Jobs is dead

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Steve Jobs is dead

Postby Princess » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Well, that Innocence Abandoned kid clearly knows shit.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Oct 31, 2014 at 4:23 pm EST, sempai finally noticed me.
Snafu Mods Suck Slightly Less 2k14
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Eh he seems to just hate Apple and is just transferring that hate on Jobs.

I don't like Apple products either, but I won't hate a guy for being good at marketing.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Sentios » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm

BobSagat wrote:I credit Steve Jobs because more than just using the mouse and gui for one or two projects he was the one who made it an industry standard. His neck was on the line to try something crazy and different and produce an entire line of computers with all the features we take for granted today. Argue over who made the first mouse (god knows that can go on forever), but who gave the mouse the impact it has today? Undeniably, Steve Jobs.

That's like saying we should credit Neil Armstrong with the entire Apollo mission because he's the name people know.

Jobs was the first to widely popularize a few things other people invented. He was a very successful salesman, that's it.

Rival wrote:Is that really such uncommon knowledge?

Both the German and Polish news mentioned it today(I knew about it before), so I guess it'd be even more common knowledge in the USA.

I knew about it but it doesn't surprise me anymore that a lot of people don't know about fairly obvious things.

Rival wrote:Eh he seems to just hate Apple and is just transferring that hate on Jobs.

I don't like Apple products either, but I won't hate a guy for being good at marketing.

According to some of the internet rumors he was a complete asshole when not on stage. I don't care enough to investigate that though.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Whatis6times9 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:11 pm

That Neil Armstrong analogy is pretty fucking poor.

A better one would being the Karl Benz of the computer world, Karl Benz didn't invent the carriage or the internal combustion engine but he was the first one to combine them and take them to a mass market.
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Sentios wrote:That's like saying we should credit Neil Armstrong with the entire Apollo mission because he's the name people know.

Eh that's kinda how history works though(at least in people's mind).

None of the technological advancements that allowed European ships to reach the new world were developed by Christopher Columbus either. Plus Columbus was a total asshat, immoral and relatively incompetent and didn't even realize he discovered a new continent. Yet he's still celebrated as one of the most influential people in the history of humanity, since his voyages started a 400+ long span of one continent dominating the entire globe and all the continents being slowly, but surely, united into a single international relations political system due to colonialization.

China in the XV century was more technologically developed than Europe and they could've started colonizing other continents about 50 years earlier. Yet they didn't, due to cultural and political reasons.

Sometimes being "that guy" in the right place at the right time, who uses other peoples' inventions for profit does in fact change the course of history. I think the Colombus analogy is slightly better(though not perfect) than the Armstrong comparision.

Now obviously, you can go all Hegel historicist on my ass, and say that even without Columbus and Jobs things would have played out roughly the same, but that's hypothetical and impossible to prove.

Sentios wrote:According to some of the internet rumors he was a complete asshole when not on stage. I don't care enough to investigate that though.

Err Almost any person who is so incredibly rich, will get nasty rumours talking about him.
Last edited by Rival on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Sentios » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Rival wrote:Eh that's kinda how history works though(at least in people's mind).

None of the technological adavancements that allowed European ships to reach the new world were developed by Christopher Columbus either. Plus Columbus was a total asshat, immoral and relatively incompetent and didn't even realize he discovered a new continent. Yet he's still celebrated as one of the most influential people in the history of humanity, since his voyages started a 400+ long span of one continent dominating the entire globe and all the continents being slowly, but surely, united into a single international relations political system due to colonialization.

China in the XV century was more technologically developed than Europe and they could've started colonizing other continents about 50 years earlier. Yet they didn't, due to cultural and political reasons.

Sometimes being "that guy" in the right place at the right time, who uses other peoples' inventions for profit does in fact change the course of history. I think the Colombus analogy is slightly better(though not perfect) than the Armstrong comparision.

Now obviously, you can go all Hegel historicist on my ass, and say that even without Columbus and Jobs things would have played out roughly the same, but that's hypothetical and impossible to prove.

Columbus wasn't credited with inventing ships or developing the nation that followed his discovery 'into what it is today', only with the first (and accidental) recorded discovery of a new land mass. There's a notable difference between the two.

My point is don't blow what he did out of proportion and start giving him credit for others' work.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Innocence Abandoned » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:32 pm

BobSagat wrote:
NeoWarrior7 wrote:Can't tell if troll, or just asshole.

Obviously, a twelve year old.

Innocence Abandoned wrote:People can make posts from their non-Apple phones good sir or madam.

I will inform you as a person who actually knows what the fuck he's talking about, Steve Jobs helped invent the computer as you know it today.

Not just the laptops and the iPhones, but fucking ALL COMPUTERS can trace their origin back to Steve Jobs saying "Oh hey, why don't we include a MOUSE (that thing where your right hand goes when its not clutching your shriveled dick), a GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE (that thing where the pretty lights on your screen happen) and a billion other fucking doohickeys like word editors worth giving a damn."

Steve Jobs came up with all of that and Bill Gates (and a million other programmers) copied those ideas.

Bill Gates has acknowledged this, he knows this, he accepts this. He doesn't give a shit cause he's rich as balls. But Bill Gates knows where credit is due. It isn't an issue of PC vs Mac, FUCKING STEVE JOB MADE MODERN COMPUTERS HAPPEN.

Innocence Abandoned wrote:You mad bro?

I am mad.

I'm mad because a worthless scumbag little twerp like you is posting stupid shit like "you mad bro?" just because all of your other stupid internet friends do it. I'm mad because you're alive - you, who is only a waste of space and a fucking drain on your parent's life (and anyone else with the misfortune to know you) while Steve Jobs - a person who's actually done something with his life and literally CHANGED THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT - is dead.

I'm left handed.

Thanks for the laughs though, was sort of having a bad day before I read this.

Postby Hiryu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Left handed people still use mouses.
Snafu Mods Suck 2k14.
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby zepherin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Steve Jobs Did more in the last 2 years, than most people do in a lifetime. He will be missed.

In related news Apple will be introducing their iCoffin.

The iCoffin will have a sleek streamlined design and retail at $42,000. It will contain 3g/4g capabilities as well as wifi and a host of Apps from the Apple store.
After 6 months of record sales and a dominant market position. Samsung produces an inferior knockoff for $48,000 and is subsequently sued by Apple.

iCoffin 2.0 is released a year after the original to a half million pre-orders. The iCoffin 2.0 will cost twice as much as the iCoffin 1.0 but will include expanded features and a faster processor.
There is a design flaw with the iCoffin 2.0 where if the person is touching the inside walls of the coffin it stops making calls. Apple is offering a free bumper to compensate for this.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Sweet. Pre-ordering that.

RIP, Steve Jobs.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BobSagat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Innocence Abandoned wrote:Thanks for the laughs though, was sort of having a bad day before I read this.

Educating ignorant fuckers is a favorite pastime of mine.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Glacial Expanse » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Innocence Abandoned wrote:Thanks for the laughs though, was sort of having a bad day before I read this.

Ignorance is no excuse.
"Nostalgia and border line depression is not a good combination. Looking back at the 90's and early 2000's brings back good memories, but it's also torture cause we're all older now and just realize that life was just simple at one time." ~ comeonman89, Nelly Furtado - I'm Like a Bird - YouTube
Previous Quote

Wulfespinndel
This too shall pass.

Postby Jay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:So many Steve Jobs threads.

Also, not many people know Jobs and Gates were actually fairly close friends.

Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Glacial Expanse » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 pm

I know they were close friends. That picture came from that same interview in which it had that bitchy bitch.
"Nostalgia and border line depression is not a good combination. Looking back at the 90's and early 2000's brings back good memories, but it's also torture cause we're all older now and just realize that life was just simple at one time." ~ comeonman89, Nelly Furtado - I'm Like a Bird - YouTube
Previous Quote

Wulfespinndel
This too shall pass.

Postby Rival » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:05 am

Rosso Rose wrote:That picture came from that same interview in which it had that bitchy bitch.

Stuff was there, too? No wonder she was the first to mention it.

Postby Princess » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Dohohohoho.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Oct 31, 2014 at 4:23 pm EST, sempai finally noticed me.
Snafu Mods Suck Slightly Less 2k14
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Glacial Expanse » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Rival wrote:
Rosso Rose wrote:That picture came from that same interview in which it had that bitchy bitch.

Stuff was there, too? No wonder she was the first to mention it.

ROFLOL
Previous Quote

Wulfespinndel
This too shall pass.

Postby Icha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Everyone already forgot Wozniak ;_;
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion