X-Men, Age of Apocalypse: OOC

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: The X-Institute 2: OOC

Postby Glacier » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Imenak wrote:I'm awful. I read your potentially touching remark, and ended up snickering at the last 4 words. "Haha, yeah I was! Bow chika bow wow!" But anyway, no worries and no need to apologize.

lol , Gotcha... that brightened my night.

Postby Draken30000 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 pm

It is really just finishing it off. Thank you very much for the swift reply lol

Avatar and Sig by Zelosse. (He is cool like that)

Postby Jay » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:22 pm

So, has anyone done anything with Ireland?
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Glacier » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't think so. Had you planned to?

Postby Jay » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 pm

I was thinking of using it as my drop off point for mutants that my character finds in Europe, whereas Latveria is probably where she'd drop off most of the humans she saves.

I was wondering if there was an existing rebel cell I could hook her up to for this, or if Imenak had something about Ireland already worked out.

Since my character's not interested in being a long term leader, only helping them make the pilgrimage to where they'll be mostly safe. But it wouldn't make sense for her to deliver mutants to Ireland if it wasn't actually safe lol

Postby Glacier » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Sounds cool to me. From what I can see on the map that could work out in Ireland for the mutants. Latveria I'm unsure about as Doom has had to've kept the peace/invaders out some how. I could see doombots making a border wall around the territory destroying all that get close.

Postby Jay » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Well, apparently Silver's character is helping people get to him, so I figure my character could have an arrangement there too. I'd assume he'd be fine with it as long as it's not mutants that she was bringing in.

Postby Deena » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:14 am

Oh, hello everyone.8D

---

Name: Penelope "Penny" Silver

Appearance: Slim and muscular, Penelope has what many would call a swimmer's build. She stands at 5'3, so is not particularly tall, but makes up for her height with confidence, and sometimes over-confidence, that could rival Napoleon. Penny's skin is somewhat tanned, not from years running around with a resistance group, but from a mixed middle eastern and Mediterranian heritage, with a bit of Latino blended in for good measure. Her messy black hair, a sort of permanent bed-head mix of curly and wavy, is usually tucked under a hat or tied in a ponytail for convenience. Her eyes are a golden copper color, much like a shiny new penny, and she frequently assumes this was the basis for her parents' naming process. She has soft but angular features that are sharp enough to give her a womanly look, but are rounded enough to prove her youth. Her figure is slender and fit, as she does a lot of exercise(mostly swimming if possible) to make the best use of her mutant abilities.

Penny tends to wear tank-tops and denim shorts most of the time, a habitual remant from when she had lesser control over her abilities and her clothes would be damaged from whatever trouble she needed her powers for. On colder days, she likes to wear layers under her favorite green hoodie, as well as cargo pants and her signature black pleather boots. She claims the belted, well-worn knee-high boots are part of her "image", and any efforts to swipe them from her will usually result in a swift fist to the face. She has a birthmark on a visible portion of her right breast when she wears low-collared shirts, and a birthmark near her left eye.

Doodle of Penny's face:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr5aibLz0p1r1n93wo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1315699596&Signature=PekOqxgZTTz700tFW52lHQR5nJg%3D

Personality: Crude but cheerful, Penny always seems peppy and chatty, enjoying gossip and idle conversation as any normal pre-AoA female would have. The difference between Penny and those women is that Penny can keep this attitude in the middle of a dire situation, and seems to make a habit of cracking jokes and spouting sarcasm whether or not they are appropriate for the situation. Even in moments of panic, she will not hesitate to laugh at one of her own stupid puns between strings of diverse swear words. She tends to act a bit dense at times, opting to bust her way through tricky situations with brute strength and a dash of sheer dumb luck, but she makes up for it with a passable sense of right and wrong befitting of a former soldier, a strong sense of justice, and a knack for cheering up the depressed. She also has a talent for bullshitting her way through damned near anything, but her sheer dumb luck usually helps with that, as well.

Despite a mostly unladylike attitude, she is capable of kindness. She avoids outright killing others unless she absolutely has to, opting to wound or disable her opponents if she can help it. This sense of mercy extends to all living creatures, even pests like insects and rats; she will capture and release said creatures into the wild with little trouble, and sometimes keeps them in terraniums to tend to them if they're wounded. She has no problems with sharing anything of hers, though it does occasionally extend to her stealing other people's snacks and clothes once they've proven to be allies. In a sense, some of these irritating behaviors can be seen as a display of her trust in others.

Penny has an easygoing, confident attitude when it comes to most situations, coming off as a joker and a prankster quite a lot, and most people rarely take her seriously as a result. Aside from trying to cheer up her allies, this is also a method she uses to avoid others prying into her secrets too much; she doesn't have many, but the ones she has, she will guard with every inch of her being. Humor is also how she covers up her true feelings in upsetting situations; she handles death(of mostly aquaintances and strangers), fear, and nervousness, and most other unpleasant emotions the same way. She does display a bit of a spitfire temper occasionally, though it rarely hampers her image as a joker as she gets angry over silly things like the mention of the size of her posterior after she made a similar comment not five minutes prior. On the other hand, when she is actually furious, she clams up and tends not to speak for fear of saying something she'll regret; if it builds up enough, however, she might act with violent words, actions, or worse, she will do something incredibly reckless and stupid. She tends to turn sadness into anger.

History: Penny was raised by a normal mother and a normal father alongside a younger brother and an older sister in the quaint suburban town of Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. Leading a fairly ordinary life for the most part, Penny's mutant abilities blossomed when she had gone diving one summer when she was still in middle school and accidentally kicked a rock, which then cracked into a dozen pieces. Confused and a bit excited, she tested her newfound powers on her own out of sight from her family and friends. Deciding it was best to keep her abilities a secret, she took up various clubs, like track and swimming, to keep her lungs strong. In her high school years, she would occasionally don a mask and a hoodie to catch criminals in her area with the help of her abilities, becoming a bit of a local legend. Apart from that streak of vigilantism, she kept a fairly low profile as a relatively popular young tomboy.

Upon graduating, feeling her mediocre grades were outweighed by her physical prowess, she immediately signed up for the national guard. She managed to keep her powers hidden through a creative blend of white lies and sheer dumb luck for the two years or so she had spent in service, but when the Sentinals took over, she went AWOL during a mission where the rest of her unit was mercilessly slaughtered. As a mutant in hiding, she managed to escape without a scratch with the help of her abilities, but she feared she would be traced straight to the hidden army base she would have normally escaped to if she did not take drastic measures. The men and women she had served with remained on the forefront of her mind, however, so she took to wandering from place to place, from abandoned homes to deserted sewers, saving lives where she could and scrounging food and water wherever she was able. It was during these travels that she learned that nearly all of her family had been killed in one way or another; she was alone in the world, but this fact only hardened her determination to use her abilities for good.

She eventually found herself in a small resistance pocket, populated by several dozen former scientists, ex-military, and two or three other mutants with abilities more suited for scouting. For the first time, she revealed her abilities to the resistance pocket, and they accepted her help enthusiastically. Plotting small missions here and there, she spent at least two years with these men. They occasionally pestered her cooperation in a few experiments to examine her abilities on a more chemical level, but she frequently declined due to an intense fear of needles. Besides this, she got along very well with the resistance group, and she will readily admit that some of her closest friends were members of it.

One fateful day, an unsuccessful scouting mission had rendered the resistance group's base vulnerable. The base was utterly destroyed, and most of the group was killed or captured. Fate smiled on Penny once again, and she slipped through the clutches of her enemies. With the intent of helping her comrades that were captured, she conspired to break their comrades out of the facility they were incarcerated in. When the time came to actually do the deed, however, she found herself realizing that her flawless plan was not quite so flawless after all.

Due to flaws in both her common sense and her logic, she managed to be captured by the Sentinals and tossed into a compound, but as she has only recently been captured in the past day or so, she has thankfully not yet concocted an unintentionally suicidal plot to escape.

Powers: Invulnerability, super speed, flight, super senses(except smell), and unfathomable physical strength. Penny is living proof that one can toggle god mode in real life if they happen to be a mutant. However, Penny's power is peculiar in that it has a unique catch to it. In order to toggle this "God Mode", she has to hold her breath. Breathing normally, Penny is perfectly human, and can be killed by anything that would kill an average human. A bat to the head, a tussle with an angry steamroller, even a particularly nasty germ. With her windpipes on temporary vacation, though, she is essentially completely invulnerable. These powers spread to her clothing via sort of aura, similar to Superman. In addition, this same aura can temporarily allow her to share her flight, invulnerability, and speed to others that keep a hold of her while her ability is in use. This only works with two or three people at a time and again, only while she can hold her breath, as well as only if she's conciously sharing her abilities. God mode or not, Penny can only hold her breath for a normal length of time for an average human being sitting still, approximately one or two minutes, less if she has a cold or has less time to inhale or other such scenarios.

Writing Sample:

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Boring. It was boring without all of those guys, the ones that laughed at her stupid jokes, the ones that threw crumpled papers at her wacky wordplay. Over these past years of living with several dozen sweaty, smelly men and women in quarters too close for comfort more times than not, to have no company except for her five-minutes-too-fast analog watch was all kinds of boring. Or maybe the word she was looking for wasn't "boring" at all. What was it, then? Lonely? Yes, that sounded better. Penny was lonely. Penelope Silver was lonely.

Steve, that poor bastard. She had eaten half his rations yesterday and he made her promise to pay her back when he found out; how was she supposed to do that now that he was nothing but a crimson smear on the ground? Then there was Brett. He always laughed too hard at her lamer jokes. Maybe he had a thing for her. She'd never get to tease him about it now. And Daniels, that stupid Daniels, jumping in front of her like that. He knew she could handle it, but he was a chivalrous idiot until the end. Penny's fingers curled into fists, and she rubbed the welling wetness from her blurring vision with the backs of her hands.

The tiny shelter befitting of a hobo that protected Penny, made of scrounged cardboard and a few slabs of concrete from nearby toppled buildings, was beginning to sag as the pattering drizzle of rain from the sky turned to a hissing shower of water. She could feel the cardboard roof resting on top of her head, dripping water into her hair. Right, well, since she was going to be soaked anyway, she might as well get going. Standing to her feet suddenly, letting the cardboard roof of her shoddily crafted shelter fall to the ground, Penny began to walk back to the very graveyard she had left earlier.

Penny had comrades to save, after all. Not all of them were killed; all she could do was believe in that now. But a plan...she needed a plan. She recalled something about Sentinels being able to detect mutants...something about an X gene? Or was it that they weren't able to detect them? Or maybe they could only detect mutants if they used their abilities in front of them? Penny scratched her head, pouting at her failing memory. Zoning out when people explained important things was a bad habit of hers. Then again, that last one, mutants only detecting abilities when they were used, sounded particularly plausible. That had to be it! Now, a plan. She would walk right up to the place her comrades were being held, surrender peacefully while pretending to be as un-mutant as possible, and once inside, initiate a surprise attack and bust everyone out with her amazingly awesome mutant abilities. It was flawless. Penny's lips curled into a smug smirk; there was no doubt in her mind that this fantastic plan would succeed. She was rather proud of herself for being such a genius.

After a long trek involving quite a bit of grumbling on Penny's behalf due to forgetting she had used her super-speed to get as far away as possible, she finally reached the outskirts of the place she planned to infiltrate. Alright...now to initiate the plan...

"MUTANT DETECTED."

"Shit."

Penny could hear her comrades, living and dead, bursting out in laughter in her mind. Growling at those voices to shut the hell up, she coughed a bit and held up her hands nervously. There were at least three or four of those damned metal bastards here. Even with how amazing she was, she had a hard enough time handling one of them on her own, let alone that many. "I...uh...come in peace?"

There was always plan B. Only one problem...what was plan B again? Penny sighed; she'd figure that out when she got there.

Other:
-Penny's favorite color is green; she knows she looks better in white, but, as she'll mention if asked, "White gets messy."
-She is also very comfortable in her own skin, though her more bachelor-like qualities can irritate some. For instance, she leaves her clothes, undergarments included, everywhere. That is, "Why is there a bra in the fridge?" sort of everywhere. Don't be surprised if you find her eating that cake slice you were saving for later, either.
-Alignment-wise, she would be considered chaotic good. She isn't afraid to break a few things to get the job done.
-She still has a few kinks to work out with flight. Namely, needing to take another breath mid-flight.
-She is very bad at raising plants. Animals are fine, but plants always seem to die when she's put in charge of them.
-She has a mild case of trypanophobia, a fear of needles. When she was young, she was poked by a needle due to a routine vaccination at the doctor's office. She held her breath at some point, and the needle broke inside her skin; they had to use a scalpel to get it out.
-Penny is a firm believer in reincarnation. That is, being reincarnated as ANYTHING, from a germ to a dung beetle to a plant on the side of a road. She's perfectly okay with this, and will even joke about it sometimes. This is why she is respectful of all living things.
-She is quite fond of make-up and has been known to bless/curse anyone caught rummaging through her make-up kit with impromptu makeovers. This includes men.
-Penny's dialogue will be this color, 00BF80.
Last edited by Deena on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 am, edited 8 times in total.

Postby Glacier » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 am

I'd go for it Jay, sounds do able and it's nice collab point with Silver.

Interestingly simple power, I'l read the rest tomorrow. I wonder how she activated it and was a pool involved?

Postby Geomancer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 am

Well, my computer has died and took my CS with it. It may take me a little longer tor recreate it.
Final Fantasy IX was the best Final Fantasy game ever and if you think otherwise you are WRONG!

My fanfiction account. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.
GMancer

Postby BobSagat » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:30 am

<3 u deena

smileyface
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby aj_gatsz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:58 am

I added something to outline my char to the CS.
To be honest I feel a bit similar. I'm really happy about all the warm fuzzy welcome I get, as being an 'old' player. It feels so good, that I'm not sure I'm worth it, as I did leave the RP quite at the beginning and wasn't around for a long time.

Anyway, what I wanted to say: Thank you guys. :)

Postby Karo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:39 am

So at this rate, the OOC really is going to be 28 pages before the IC starts. XD
Zath: Behold, Karo: The only woman in existence who can make Fenix shut the fuck up.
Redsnow: That, and, frankly, if Karo doesn't like you that much, your character is probably going to die soon after his acceptance anyway.
Keiran: Bad RPs don't get picked, unmemberable RPs get ignored.
Zelosse: I don't usually laugh at blatant attitude, but when I do. It usually involves Karo.

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:49 am

Longer than that probably.

Hi Deena. Your character's situation seems pretty similar to mine, it seems.
Never asked for this

Postby Cascade » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:30 am

Name: Koren Liang
Codename: Kresnik (Wiseman)

Koren's favorite color, and his dialogue text, is teal.

Appearance: An intense looking Chinese man with a cold, asymmetrical gaze. One eye is slightly lighter blue than the other, due to being permanently dilated. The stoic glare he now possesses is so striking that a person could recognize him even if the rest of his face was covered. He has neatly cropped black hair that is swept to the side a slight bit, with a slim face and vaguely pale complexion. Currently he sports a persistent five-o-clock shadow. Over the years he has developed a hard, chiseled form reminiscent of a martial artist, for indeed he does nothing but train when not fighting for his life. His body is surprisingly devoid of scars, his face statuesque and attractive, and his stance confident. However, while he goes without them more than he used to, he still carries with him a pair of wire frame glasses, and he still taps his foot when uncertain. When not in combat, he will wear them as often as possible.
He rarely has the time to wear casual clothes. He dresses entirely in pragmatic combat gear, mostly black or urban camo. Koren is rarely seen outside of his combat equipment, which now is so extensive as to cover every last bit of his skin and mask his identity. With or without it, he often goes covered in a tattered cloak or overcoat.

Personality: Six years have washed over Koren, stripping away the genteel, energetic young genius and leaving a bare, robotic mockery of a man. Before he was loquacious, exacting when it came to details, and questioning of authority, the consummate honor student. But the machine-brain has not let him rest and his thought process has become more and more inhuman as of late. He rarely speaks to others without reason and shuns the company of human beings. It seems almost as if at times his speech centers have been co-opted by the other mental processes just to get that much more brainpower focused on the art of strategic destruction. Often when found alone, Koren sports the thousand mile stare, seeming distant and refusing to respond to outside stimuli. This is not due to any degree of readily apparent trauma but simply because he no longer can "switch off," and at all times his brain is wracking itself over something. Others may have hardened or become traumatized by the events following Genosha, but Koren doesn't have time to angst, regret, or feel anything anymore. He lives to erase his target.

That being said, his old personality isn't entirely gone. Though he feels more in common with the machines he fights than mutants or normal humans, he still hides a soft, quiet smile for others in private. And of all the former X-Men, Koren remembers the old days the most vividly, for his memory never fails.

History:
In progress
Koren Liang was a gifted young man in both looks and brains, born into wealth. The scion of Kongming Shipping, nothing but the highest of education would suffice for his immigrant family. His former con-artist mother and anti-mutant CEO father lived on different sides of the Pacific. The awkward familial arrangement proved to be a godsend when Koren first exhibited signs of an unnatural power, along with his younger sister. Without informing his father of all the details, Koren's mother enrolled him in the Institute, making sure to take care of the financial matters with only her own assets, to keep just which school her son was going to a secret.

Raised with a strong sense of duty, Koren feared his father's disapproval, but desired to mature into a worthy successor nonetheless. No one was dearer to him than his sister Ellis. The two forged an inseparable bond of intelligence and wit, cool-headedness and exuberance. Their closeness was almost unnatural; the two of them seemed like two parts of one whole, despite being born a year apart. Ellis, however, was born with defects that ultimately lead to an inability to control her own mutant power. When Koren's first semester at the Institute came around, his room had two beds, but only one occupant. Their home in upstate NY was completely empty; those who had been left behind traveled back to their hometown overseas for a traditional burial in the family cemetery. A public relations fiasco regarding how Ellis died was seizing his father's attention, and so Koren could attend the Institute without reservations. The silence in that empty room was maddening, however, at least until an unexpected boarder forced herself into his life.

As if determined to perform Ellis's half as well as his own, Koren worked himself to the bone, doing doubly well in his marks, athletics and student leadership at the Institute. Trying not to let chronic exhaustion get the better of him, he immediately caught the eye of the professors, who recognized his prodigious talent. With time Koren was inducted into a new squad of mutant teenagers, taught to use their abilities for the greater good, under the insinuation that they would someday become X-Men. Koren felt this was uncomfortably close to child soldiers. He also was never a firm believer in Xavier's ideals, nor did he feel respectful of him due to the closeness between Professor X and the mutant terrorist Magneto. He was nothing, however, if not dutiful. Koren obeyed orders to the letter and carried out their missions with ruthless efficiency. If one was to be a child soldier, after all, that was no reason not to uphold a tradition of excellence. He eventually was promoted to the leader of his own team, Cortana, a role he was naturally suited for, despite not being entirely comfortable with assuming command. Their team often used his aunt's club, an illegal gambling front called the Zodiac, as a sort of home base.

It became immediately apparent after Koren's first successful outing as a member of Kennedy Yang's mutant class and their fight against a Sentinel in the danger room that there was something restricting Koren from fully understanding his powers. He possessed the trait of telekinesis and a "black box" mind that could make calculations with absolute certainty, but through a process which he himself didn't comprehend. His orders often mysteriously put allies in danger, as if he considered them a threat unconsciously. When he slept he was beset by nightmares, and strangely comforting but surreal dreams of a familiar young girl with black hair and a loving smile. They drained him of his energy, and he began partitioning his brain to literally duplicate his conscious thought processes and leave one dormant, as if within REM sleep, while the other continued to grind away, leaving Koren feeling less and less human. To make matters worse, his father sent him a letter which suggested he knew more about the Institute than Koren realized. Attempts to analyze his own condition without troubling the others yielded disturbing results. Whatever revelations his father's letter and his private research uncovered, a few days before their fateful assault on Genosha, Koren had filled out his transfer paperwork and was ready to leave the Institute for good. The Brotherhood's attack stymied his plan.

At Genosha, Koren as typical took a large part in planning the strategic element of the invasion. He was determined to recover the children that Magneto had captured, but strategy in the face of overwhelming force and greater resources only could accomplish so much. Utilizing a two pronged assault between an infiltrating force and a feigned defection/immigration group, they managed to infiltrate Genosha, but it wasn't long before their cover was blown. Real time tactics thought up by Koren on the fly managed to help keep the allies with him alive, as well as their diligent training and expert use of their mutant abilities. For a moment he was relieved his "black box" had started regarding teammates as assets rather than potential threats. Then Magneto activated his device and the world entered Hell.

Koren couldn't be found anywhere after the battle. The electronic signature of his communicator was dead. All that remained of him was a cracked pair of wire frame glasses. The Zodiac was abandoned in the chaos and no sign of his aunt could be found; with his mother overseas and father unavailable for comment, no clues remained. His teammates were forced to assume the worst. Not that they would have time to look for him in the coming years. Both Xavier and Magnus were dead. The remaining humans and allied mutants were trapped in a vice between the Sentinels and the Messiah's forces. Koren had appeared to not have outlasted the ideals of the Professor or his old friend, subscribing to neither yet dismissing nothing. The world was ripe for change, and twin powers continued to claw at its amorphous future, bending it to their will.

Yet still a rumor, little more than hearsay and a few murky photographs, surfaced. It emerged from the depths of bloody fighting in the resistance fronts in China, where Wiseman's family relocated after the disaster to their ancestral home. It emerged on the Eastern European front, where a "former x-man with glasses" had been an adviser to more than a dozen small groups struggling against the war machines, for he had experience taking down these metal giants. And with them, rumors of a great and terrible society of killers, the Kresnik, emerged in Sector 29 and 31 of Central Europe. A resistance group so cunning and so deadly that the Sentinel patrols in the area were almost completely depleted, necessitating reinforcements from across the Atlantic. A group so merciless that other mutant groups were used as bait to attract the enemy, or savaged by intricate, time fused series of bomb attacks when unfortunate enough to get in their way. The precision of these attacks and the general audacity of its strategy, as well as the disturbing rumors of Kresnik's leader, a demon clad in black armor with one glowing red eye, captivated and horrified the remaining safe enclaves of humans and mutants left in Europe. In this way Kresnik became legend.

And within this group, unknown to all his remaining allies, Koren continues to struggle. Even with his powers fading and his sanity dwindling, Koren continues to fight. The reason behind his endless campaign is trapped within his unbreakable mind. But he persists, to destroy, to delete his enemy, and will never stop deleting.

Powers:
-Supercomputer Brain-
Koren's mind works like a highly advanced supercomputer, with a variety of functions and data structures a normal human brain is not capable of utilizing. Some common applications of this natural power:

1. Flawless memory. Can analyze and save all sensory data with high precision.
2. Can edit and delete information in his own brain.
3. Can partition his mental processes and duplicate them to multitask, handling many different challenges at once with equal efficacy.
4. Calculates and processes data at speeds far exceeding that of a normal human, and can "overclock" this to increase the speed even further at the cost of precision and accuracy.
5. Perfect nervous system control. Tied with his flawless memory, he can replicate almost any physical feat he sees that is possible with his body, and some he can't at the risk of self injury.
6. The activity within his brain is highly irregular, and the pattern of data doesn't resemble any other living creature, not to mention circulating in greater volume than the human mind can process safely. Linking to it with telepathy is not only completely ineffective, but causes disproportionate backlash, such as blackouts, cerebral hemorrhage, permanent catatonia or even death. This trait of his power is the only one that has increased in severity; even a millisecond of exposure to Koren's mind can drive anyone insane, or worse. Death is unlikely without prolonged exposure, however.
7. Ability to forcibly connect to another mind through close contact. This ability is vestigial, and has diminished to virtual nonexistence.
8. Telekinesis, also vestigial. No longer capable of even moving tiny objects.

In addition to this, Koren is already a genius with a brilliant mind for strategy, technological repair and modification. He has internalized an encyclopedic wealth of information regarding combat and survival, as well as all other information relevant to his self-preservation and his future plans. An unknown benefactor has granted him a wealth of resources necessary to wage war; suffice to say, he is heavily armed and still highly dangerous, even without his silver dollars...

Other:
-He has developed his own combat suit from the parts of destroyed sentinels and his own combat BDU. It's nothing on the level of Stark or Latverian technology, but it augments his physical capabilities, absorbs physical trauma and deflects bullets, lessens recoil, allows soundless and dexterous movement, has integrated grappling hooks and electromagnetic jump boosters AND its helmet gives him an absolutely pants-shittingly terrifying red monoeye stare. It has a bit of advanced technology in it that Koren didn't likely develop himself too...
-Sports a brand new custom anti-material rifle capable of firing a variety of munitions. What is it for?
-He patiently waits for birds to fly away from perching on his gun barrel before firing!
-The Club Zodiac that belonged to his family is destroyed now, so he has a new base of operations somewhere with similarly advanced computers, as if his brain wasn't enough.
-Living in poverty wasn't so easy for the rich kid. He'd never had instant noodles before in his life.
-Kresnik isn't his name but the name of a group he belongs to, or so people say anyway. The name originates from the (unconfirmed) rumor that Kresnik destroyed 12 Sentinels in Sector 29 in one summer with no losses, in reference to the Slavic god's 12 great deeds. The reputation of this supposedly legendary resistance group is so profound as to have even made it over the sea to the former US, where Sentinel patrols are more frequent and the folks aren't as impressed as easily...
FUKKATSU

Postby Deena » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:05 am

@Glacier: Close! She went diving during a cruise on a family vacation one summer.

@Bob: oh u ilu2 :3c <3

@Dorian: I was throwing ideas at Nak, and he mentioned that, so I went with it.:D

Postby Hana » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:10 am

Unbreakable. Heh. Good times.

It is good to see you back, Deena! I'm looking forward to playing with you again! (Also, heads up. It is looking like at least one of my Persona players is thinking about dropping, so a slot may be opening up.)
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Deena » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 am

Cool! I'll make up a sheet later.:D

Postby Jay » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:59 am

Excuse the blanks, I just wanted to get the powers out there before I drafted the history and everything. Imenak hasn't vetted these, so hey dude, if anything seems ridiculous, just ask, and I'll tell you why I have it.

Name: Noelle "Noel" Skye

Codename: Urchin (Obsolete), Saint Noel, Saint Valentines, Lembas

Age: 20 (assumed age. Her birthdate is set for December 25th by her own design. Her actual age is not known.)

Appearance: (What your character looks like. Hair, eyes, accessories, build, etc. What's really important here, though, is that you note how they've changed. Have they just aged? Did they get more muscular? Lose an arm?)

Personality: (How your character acts. This is something that’s more for other players, so they can get a feel of what your character’s like. Include how they've changed as well)

History: Perhaps it is only fate that could will into being such a whimsical collection of coincidences, such that it would bring the vagrant Noel who once lived impoverished on the streets of European urban centers back into the very same Europe with the tools to deliver the downtrodden from their current predicament.

Such abstract thinking, however, is far beyond what Noel has patience to ponder. A girl with a background of poverty, she had been invited to the institute for what had kept her alive on the streets: the ability to make food more nutritious. With time, the use of the ability broadened significantly, and so she came to serve with the X-Men in exchange for the education, food, and lodge she was afforded by the institute's complete scholarship. To Noel, such an agreement was simply expedient and helpful, not to mention the friends she would come to make in the process being quite valuable.

However, this shrewd exchange of living for work ultimately fell out with the Genosha incident. With Xavier dead and Koren missing, Noel did not tarry long in North America, especially in light of growing discontent with mutants. She had very little keeping her and Noel's survival instincts are strong. With an already high degree of self control, not to mention a power that is fairly innocuous, she managed to slip by early on before the advent of mutant detection instruments. Suffice to say, she snuck herself onto a cargo ship and made her way back to the Western European continent where she knew the streets better and the easy marks for charity and handouts more fluently.

Freed from her duties and much more capable of subsistence, Noel had much time to herself for thinking, for once. With this time, she was able to continue her studies informally, with most libraries rather ignored or lacking in security due to the crises at hand. This, coupled with her growing mastery of her powers, gave her new ideas on how to apply powers, and led to her realization that the brain too could be a target of reinforcement and that reinforcing her own powers could have unique effects. This was a short time of rapid maturation for Noel's ability, and by the age of 17 she had come to stop aging due to the strength of her healing factor. With the rise of mutant detection technology, Noel also devised methods of fooling them. Finally, during a short romp through France, Noel realized her error in spelling her own name. She would attempt to correct herself, but for better or worse, the old spelling stuck, and old colleagues would persist in using Noel, and going so far as "correcting" others should they write to her as "Noelle".

Matters became worse of course, and while Noel could at first concern herself with just herself, it was not to be maintained very long as the conflict broadened with more and more people drawn in. With the Sentinels turning on humanity, the deal was sealed. With humans either slaughtered by Mutant Prime or captured by Sentinels, who could Noel receive or "acquire" handouts from? With this new situation came an entire class of people strucken into poverty and many rebel hold outs starved for food. Finally drawn into taking a part in the conflict out of necessity, Noel satisfied herself with the simple act of selling her ability in exchange for food and protection. She had no stomach for fighting herself, it was just not in her interest to risk her life so directly. For this initial service, her client was the large resistance based in Ireland.

For an isolated resistance such as Ireland's, Noel's powers meant that the pantry could be stretched out for far longer and the sieges held all the more stubbornly. However, even with the most nutritious, filling food in the world, these pantries would eventually empty. That was when she was encouraged to develop means for scavenging despite daunting Sentinel sentries. Luckily, with some help brainstorming, Noel figured the means to not only protect several mutants from detection at once, but to grant clothes stealth qualities to protect from more general detection. The final piece came when Noel happened by an old cohort of the Brotherhood, who happened to have one of Juggarnaut's helmets which he kept because of its effectiveness in avoiding detection by other mutants. Borrowing it, Noel was able to extract a way to grant headwear the ability to hide wearers from telepaths and psychics en masse. The strain of overclocking her brain to do so put her out for a few weeks.

Once awake, Noel led a group of handpicked men to raid the Sentinel encampments of England and Scotland. Benefitting from her experience as a petty thief and the countless anti-detection measures at the disposal of her group, they collected supplies with ruthless efficiency. Thus began the pirate-like raids up and down the coast of England facing Ireland. These adventures were not long lived, however. While the Sentinels were incapable of developing any means to capture the offenders, as they were never caught, it did lead to the Sentinels reorganizing their garrisons on England into a more defensive posture. This relieved Ireland of the constant attacks the Sentinels were previously capable of in their offensive deployment, but meant the raids were no longer practical. This was fine, however, as the relief allowed the rebels to rebuild the area's ability to produce food and eventually become a self-sustained community. While the threat of Sentinel attack remains ever present, the island's denizens could at least take solace in knowing that they will at least not be defeated by starvation.

With this done, Noel found herself without much purpose in the enclave. In recognition of all that she had done for them, they were of course willing to keep her, but like the idea of being a parasite displeased Noel. The spark of success she experienced earlier stoked a flame of ambition, perhaps, but Noel came to desire something to do. With a long life assured, she wanted to contribute to ensuring that services remained in place to keep her fed, which of course meant she needed to keep humanity alive. With that decided, Noel found it quite simple to strike a deal; she agreed to help deliver wayward people to Ireland safely in exchange for the supplies needed to do so. This was how she could contribute to the maintenance of humanity without joining the conflict directly.

Some of the members the raiding parties she led earlier also volunteered to help her. In addition, Noel was charged with attempting to establish contact with Dr. Doom's Latveria. While Ireland didn't hold strong hopes for actual aid from Dr. Doom, a speaking relationship that allowed for a flow of information at the very least would be helpful.

Thus, Noel set off, piercing into the scarcely defended Britannian coast of France and began her work. While she rarely attempted to free people from the capture within Sentinel compounds, she put her effort into whisking away daring escapees or vagrant refugees into safety with her stealthed, travelling convoy. She's not prepared for any actually fights, however, so she avoids confrontation always.

Once at Latveria, Noel was able to begin negotiations with the embassy on behalf of the Ireland-based resistance. Since land communication was impractical, she was given a transmitter device to allow contact that she could deliver back. Duly noted, Noel pressed on. Due to her other tasks, Noel kept her trip short and snuck her way back onto Ireland and sat present when the resistance on Ireland was able to negotiate with a representative of Dr. Doom. As expected, little more than an agreement for information brokerage could be levied. In addition, Latveria insisted on having some compensation for the cost of the communication device and the fact that the intelligence it would command outstrips the resistance's. A fairly one-sided deal was hammered out such that people recruited from the European continent, if they are human, should be presented to Latveria for inspection first. Any and all humans Latveria chooses not to accept as an immigrant will continue their way to Ireland or where ever else they may wish.

This final formality completed, Noel signed on agreeing to uphold her end of the bargain too. In exchange for delivering the persons now to both Latveria and the Ireland Resistance, she would be able to collect supplies as a roaming recruiter from both. A unique seal was fashioned for her to use in identifying messages from her for this purpose. With that done, Noel was able to clear away any real binding ties she had with the two organizations, outside her agreement with them, which she figures she can deal with at leisure.

In the next couple of years of her vagrant roaming, Noel only increased her distancing from large groups and soon chose to disappear off the map completely. What initially pushed her to make strides in establishing herself now encouraged her to try and reclaim her neutrality and anonymity. Due to her role as a wandering protector who aided many without question in their pilgrimage to the few scant areas of safety in Western Europe, Noel soon earned a sort of myth-like reputation as a sort of Saint. A giver of food and water, and a protector that would see you to a promised land, it was difficult for many of the people she met--especially in Europe where Christianity dominated--to resist using the moniker. With this rise, she began retaining more followers as a sort of permanent fixture in her group who she would withhold from bringing to Latveria or Ireland, since they insisted on sticking with her. The rest, she dutifully had delivered to the place as procedure demanded.

As Noel transitioned into being "off the grid" almost completely, she stopped personally delivering refugees to Latveria or Ireland, instead having some of her followers do it for her. She began to prefer a more aloof existence once again and didn't enjoy the sort of fame or knowledge of her becoming widespread. Towards this end, she had sent diplomatic requests to both Ireland and Latveria that if possible, she'd prefer that she not be recognized explicitly. While she still continued to perform her role, she shirked contacting any of the organizations except through letter, and only her personal followers or those she helped would have easy access to her person, all in an effort to stifle any growth in fame that could happen on her part. Thus it came that "Saint Noel" became more of a figure to talk about in the abstract, rather than an identifiable person. While all the refugees that were inevitably delivered every so often would certify that they indeed came thanks to "Saint Noel", her person would never actually materialize. Through conscious effort, Noel has largely succeeded in converting herself into more of an urban myth, with a consistent group who insist on her existence but little proof to provide for it.

Powers: Bullets are derivative abilities, number points are specifically important applications of them.
Reinforcement: The ability to touch something and impart upon it increased traits. It cannot impart on an object something it does not have but instead makes its existing traits or abilities that much more powerful. The ability to make food more nutritious, a sword sharper, a rock harder, a dumbell heavier, and most importantly, a mutant's power stronger. She can also make a mutate's powers stronger too, now. This is the centerpiece from which all of Noel's abilities derive from. Often used to increase Noel's own traits, such as making her ears see better, or her nose smell better. However, it cannot make her ears see, nor her eyes hear, etc. Reinforcements in this way last only seconds long, and erode as time goes on, and maintenance of the increase requires continuous attention from Noel.
  • Faking: An ability that makes abilities stronger. There is an obvious application of such a creature: self-application. There however lies a great danger: an ability that makes itself more powerful would create a feedback loop that cannot be contained, so the infinite potential of the moment of power must be released instantly and the strain on the mind is such that things too complex are impossible without the trait being specifically designed beforehand with great effort. It allows Noel to give an object a trait it does not have. It requires touch and only works on the non-cognitive, with living things often being too much of a problem also. Given traits can last several days, and for at least several hours. Only imparts concrete concepts onto concrete objects. Generally used to give headwear the ability to protect the wearer from detection by telepaths (complete protection is too complex to be achieved through faking) and a variety of other stealth measures onto clothing such as noise dampening, heat masking, radar absorption, etc. Due to the delicate and complex nature of faking, it requires most of Noel's concentration. Additionally, since it requires her to feedback loop her own power by reinforcing it (which means the infinite loop brings her power to singularity in an instant), she can't be using her ability on anything else simultaneously. The only exception is her healing factor, and that is only because she spent significant time (and life span) to devise a way to make an exception of it. It requires about a full 5 seconds of continuous contact with something to fake a trait onto it. For traits that she does very often though (such as the examples from before), she can do it faster, as low as 2 seconds.
  • Duping: The ability to impart to an object an increase to a trait, even if its a subjective or abstract idea. Works like a mind attack, but is possessed by the object and doesn't require interaction with a mind, but instead works appends a statistical increase in the object to some abstract concept humans understand, and in understanding, that object just becomes that much more so.
    For example, she could make a polka-dotted pair of underwear more fashionable. Regardless of whether you think underwear can be fashionable, or whether you like polka-dots, and in general completely regardless of your preexisting tastes, it'll still seem more fashionable to you (not necessarily fashionable, just more so).
    Minds shielded from mind effects are still affected as it's not a true mind effect, and will effect anything that understands the abstract concept based on human understanding. For example, she can't make a girl look sexier to a Sentinel since it probably lacks programming for understanding sexiness, but she can certainly make that girl seem more threatening to a Sentinel, as it possesses programming to understand the relative threat levels of beings it's in contact with. Duping does not affect a specific person or observer, but is universal, as if the abstract trait was truly increased. Any and every observer that comprehends the concept will feel that it has increased relative to the opinion they're naturally disposed to.
    Only works on abstract concepts possessed by concrete things. She can't make a situation seem more hopeful, but she can make a flag or symbol more hopeful/moralizing. She can't make a live speech more inspiring, but she can make a tape recording of one more inspiring.As this doesn't actually affect the mind, but the specific object, if she made a flag more inspiring, another flag would not benefit from the same effect, even if they're identical. Duping requires touch and erodes in effect over seconds just like Noel's Reinforcement.
    While protection from mind effects are useless, the truth is duping still does not change the object in any fundamental way, so those of particularly high intelligence or with heightened awareness of their own mental state can general rationalize their way through the effect. Since it relies on human understanding of concepts, beings with completely inhuman congnition are unaffected, particularly animals and other life that are capable of sensory but not thought.
  • Ranged Reinforcement: With time, Noel has become to give the gift of her reinforcement at a range, to multiple people, for multiple things. However, the traits she can improve are only concrete ones for concrete objects, and it can't boost them as much as she would at touch range. However, this does let her boost something at touch range, and maintain the boost at a range. The range is quite large but it requires sight. As a general rule of thumb, she has to look at the target once every 5 seconds to maintain a max charge of reinforcement.
  • Suppression: The reversal of her power. Since it goes cross purposes with her base power, she cannot do this nearly as well, and with far more limited ways. Suffice to say, she cannot actually lower the statistics of something. She cannot make a knife less sharp than it is, etc. However, as an alternate application of duping, she can make that knife seem like it is not sharp, at just observation. Simply said, suppression basically confuses the ability of instruments and creatures to detect or measure the true value or state of something with any sort of arcane method that isn't the most literal way of testing that value. For example, you could still use a suppressed knife to cut, and find that it is sharp, but you'd have trouble figuring out its sharpness by measuring the thinness of the blade, etc. If Vegeta used a scouter on a level 9001 Goku that had been suppressed by Noel to read as 60, the scouter would say 60, but Goku would still be level 9001. That's the idea. The main use of this ability is to defeat the Mutant-detecting instruments employed by the Sentinels. Can be used at range just like her reinforcement ability. Only affects concrete traits possessed by concrete objects.
  1. Healing Factor: Noel's immune system and her body's ability to repair damage is significantly increased due to her reinforcement ability, at this point becoming second nature such that it persists even when she is unconscious. To use reinforcement to boost her healing has become like breathing for her. Her ability to heal damage is still not to the extent of Wolverine's healing factor, but she's gained an identical immunity to the effects of aging now, and has stopped showing signs of aging for a while now.
  2. Brain Boost: If a nose or an ear can be reinforced to work better, why not your brain? Noel can induce temporary genius in herself by doing so, but at a cost: overclocking her brain wears it out a lot quickly. Suffice to say, she's sworn off using it completely, as she has no plans to shorten her lifespan unless where completely necessary. While her healing factor can stop her aging, if she overclocks her brain, even her healing factor can't keep up and there is a lot of wear and tear. Up till now, she's only done so twice for a very specific task each time. The first time was to devise how to make the feedback loop from reinforcing her own power into being useful for something other than wreaking havoc on her body (and figuring out how to still have her healing factor be in effect while she does so) and the second time for analyzing Juggernaut's helmet so she can comprehend how to impart its protection against telepaths onto headwear via faking. In both cases, it was something intimately related to her power, and not thinking she could outsource to someone else. Suffice to say, any thinking she doesn't need to do herself, Noel greatly prefers outsourcing to someone else.
    Also, note that, since this boost is temporary, things you manage to comprehend, remember, or understand due to the boost will disappear once you come out of boost. If you were to, say, figure out the answer to life, the universe, and everything, you'd be able to remember that it's 42, but after the boost wears off, you'll lose the ability to comprehend how you ever got the answer. To say succinctly, you can remember the answer, but god help you if someone asks for the proof.
    This application is too complex to do at a range, so unless Noel's massaging someone else's brain goop in her hands, it's unlikely that she'd be able to impart it on someone else.
  3. Lembas Bread: The application of her ability that saw her through the worst of times and is her personal favorite. Simply by reinforcing the nutritive value of a food, she can make it capable of satiating hunger for several days despite being a laughable morsel. This is hardly limited to bread, but bread is what she most often uses it on. She can do a similar process on water, where she can make the water hydrate someone for far longer than it should. This doesn't even need to be applied to just food: as long as it has some small shadow of nutritive value to humans, she can make it a super food that not only has all the needed nutrition, but will keep you fed for days. On top of that, she can dupe the grass she just pulled out of the ground into tasting delicious, as if the deal wasn't already good enough.

Other: Not being attached to her codename from the Xavier Institute, Noel stopped using it pretty much instantly. The lack of need for anonymity and the fact that she worked alone, sort of, she returned to just using her real name, which she was much more comfortable with. In regards to the name St. Valentines, that's a spin-off some annoying boys use for her occasionally, that they use despite her protest. As for Lembas, well, some nerds looked at her bread and thought of that right away, and some others thought it was witty so it stuck. For better or worse, Noel's just too busy to be worrying about how others call her.

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:05 am

Deena wrote:
@Dorian: I was throwing ideas at Nak, and he mentioned that, so I went with it.:D

I'm guessing this was some time ago?
Never asked for this

Postby Vouvray » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:07 am

Deena wrote:These powers spread to her clothing via sort of aura, similar to Superman.

Sheldon would have something to say about that! But as all true geeks would know, you're right and the Big Bang Theory's writers are wrong! But the "Penny" thing kind of set it off.

@Jay: I was going to make a character that enhances things, but now I'm glad I didn't. Yours is MUCH better thought out and...well, cooler

Postby Hana » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:11 am

And Victor is hot.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Vouvray » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 am

Erm -

Ok yeah, that was probably it.

Postby Imenak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 am

If it's white, it's safe! For now. The larger the white, the greater likelihood it's going to come under full assault soon. There are also safe places in every Sector, but there's not any greater guarantee there either. Anyway, powers and CSes look good right now, for those who submitted recently.
"A pistol is a tool to save people. It's not a weapon for murder." "Then save me by killing them!" "That's kinda contradictory..."
My Characters' Endings

Postby Glacier » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Penny seems like a fun gal to hang around, looking forward to seeing her in action. I gotta rest my eyes. Ease my way back into reading so much in one sitting.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing