X-Men, Age of Apocalypse: OOC

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: The X-Institute 2: OOC

Postby Imenak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:06 pm

TheMaddness wrote:Yeah, I was asking in a round about way if the Inhumans were doing anything.
or if, you know, THIS could still happen: http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... 9xk46s4ia6

Oh! No. Although the Inhumans are not entirely unconcerned with the events engulfing Earth, they are unlikely to take any part in it. Apocalypse, in this particular universe, could easily destroy them all.
"A pistol is a tool to save people. It's not a weapon for murder." "Then save me by killing them!" "That's kinda contradictory..."
My Characters' Endings

Postby Belwicket » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Imenak wrote:@MLS: There's a lot of good examples here, so I'd take a look at those to get a feel for how yours should look. Try that first, then I can help from there.

I get that but I can't think of anything to add to the appearance or personality to make them longer, much less think of anything for the history.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Take your time MLS. No need to rush things. If one section is giving you trouble move to another. Maybe flesh out the powers a bit and see if you can't draw a personality from there. Maybe think about what your character would be doing in a post apocalyptic world being fought over by mutants and robots. Are they fighting, hiding, uncaring? Did they lose anybody they cared for when the world went all to hell? Work along those lines and see what you can come up with.

Postby Akaine » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:39 pm

My_Little_Sister wrote:(WIP)Appearance: Sheryl has brunette hair with natural auburn highlights. She has fair white skin and chocolate brown eyes that compliment her very well. Her body is average yet skinny. Her muscles don’t seem to be very defined, but she still has some there.
Personality: Sheryl is a very lovable person. She’s generally happy all the time, and can rarely get ticked off. But when she is ticked off, she can just barely hold her tongue, or she’d be throwing fists and swearing like a sailor. She is also stubborn to a fault.

Hokay, I have a couple things I'd like to see in this appearance.

-How long is the hair and is it styled in any particular way? Is it oily and greasy or does she take the time to maintain it?
-Does her skin have any imperfections? Any scars? If so, what do they look like?
-What do her eyes bring out in her, why do they compliment her? Do they bring out her cheekbones or something like that?
-Average yet skinny...What kind of muscle type does she have? Is her bone structure big-boned, petite, or somewhere in the middle?
-What type of clothing does she usually wear?
-Does she wear any jewelry, have any tattoos, or piercings?

This'll do for now. Hopefully this'll be helpful. In your description, try to make your sentences longer and more detailed. For example, instead of just saying that she has brown hair with auburn highlights, you could say that she her brown hair with auburn highlights is cut into a fashionable bob that frames her pointy chin in an artistic manner. The more description you give, the more people can get a visual of the character you have in your head.
Doctress Who-CURSE YOU AKAINE AND FENIX. *Shakes fist*
Musicmac-INNUENDO... STRIKE!
Innuendo Squad Leader
Dare to join?
Innuendo King

Postby TheMaddness » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:57 pm

EDITS!

So, I think ive narrowed my character choices down to three again. I could bring Cora back, since only a couple of you seem to be using characters that would fit his role, it would be easy to fashion him into a big Brother/guardian style character.
Or, I can use A new character with a cool power, That ive been wanting to try out for a while. And he Wouldnt be a mutant, so theres that going for him.
Or lastly, I could always make a character to join team Disturbing-otherworldly-horror along with Jacky and Hiram, If no one else takes portals as a power.

Buuut, on that Note, Imenak, for the second one, Is Hawkeye still alive in this?

Postby Elend-X » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:13 pm

~ Improvement complete, more pending ~

Name: Samuel Stars

Appearance: Samuel at a first glance would look like your regular young person, that is if there wasn’t a war going on. He seems carefree enough because of his power and so he goes on wearing regular clothes; blue jeans, trainers and a random top. He has a misleading medium built that hides the muscular body he earned by having too much time in his hands and using that time to train both physically and mentally. He is not too tall standing at around 5’7” (honestly I am used to the metric system and I was thinking around 1.75 or something, don’t know if I converted that correctly). He’s been alone for so long that his black hair grew and grew; sometimes they grow so much that it falls down on his shoulders. He cuts it every now and then when it gets too long but he isn’t really bothered by it. His eyes have an alien red tint to them and they are very sensitive to light or dust. He likes to have a pair of tinted goggles around his neck and wear them when needed, if there’s too much sun or too much wind. Because of living underground for so long he has a very pale skin that makes him seem ghostly at best.

Personality: If you have to understand anything about Samuel is that he is a coward, and he knows it. He knows full well who he is, as well as what he was. To Samuel survival is the only choice he sees and he would do anything to survive. Having been trapped into this safe prison he was safe for so long that he has forgotten what it is to risk something. The only thing he has learned is how to keep himself and his sanctuary safe. Even though he is ‘trapped’ in there he is watching diligently everything that is going on in the world, but never making an action to help any side. He prefers to keep safe instead of running mindlessly into the battlefield. He is really a sarcastic and arrogant young man. Living alone with yourself makes that to a person. He likes to tease people and he doesn’t mind getting on the bad side of a person. He hates bullies and sometimes will go out of his way to help people but he will never put his safety second mind you. He believes that many people are fools for fighting and even if he admires them for their courage he still believes they are fools to fight blindly. He is generally very fidgety and really talkative, but he tries to keep these habits of his in check so as not to draw attention to himself. Samuel has avoided contact with other people for the last few years and thus he is a bit awkward when it comes to other people. He will talk about general stuff but he doesn’t really know how to act if he gets close to them. He is also naturally curious, something he got from his parents.

History: Samuel Stars was born in Boston, Massachusetts. His parents were part of a Private Company Programme researching the mutations that started springing up around the world. Compound 17 as it was called, was off logs and charts. All the transactions were made using a different medium each time. In reality Compound 17 was sanctioned partly by the US government so as to better understand the mutations and utilise them. At first Compound 17’s policy and ideals was to only experiment in understanding the phenomenon. His parents weren’t really all that racist against mutants but it still came as a shock to them when Samuel first developed his powers at the age of eight. It was weird seeing your kid appear out of thin air and then disappearing again. At first they didn’t know what to do. On one hand they tried to hide the fact that he was a mutant, they didn’t want him to have anything to do with the government or any of the greedy bastards that they worked for. On the other hand though they couldn’t help themselves and as people of science they run as many tests as they could on their son. There were days that Samuel vaguely remembers. They acted like a regular family but when they were on their own they had him tested for this and that. They never understood why his blood samples seemed to have no results of anything. It was like what flowed within him wasn’t real blood. The truth was when Samuel is merged with all his projections he survives through the astral energy. This continues for a couple of years and because Sam thought that his parents meant no harm he never resisted and never did anything. Then he came, Dr. Willem Terrence, he was in charge of Compound 17 and in constant contact with the government. He realised that the tests and research Sam’s parents were doing weren’t consistent with the samples they were given. Therefore after some research he discovered Sam.

It was when Sam had just turned eleven. Armed guards came bursting into their house and took them prisoners. Sam was captured along with his parents and was put into the Compound 17 facility. At this point Compound 17 was put under the full jurisdiction of the US government. The US government reinstituted the ideals of compound 17 so as to focus on the prevention of more mutants as well as the manufacturing of a cure. His parents negotiated with Dr. Terrence so as to be able to take care of him even while he was imprisoned. His prison cell was slowly fashioned to look like a real apartment with bookshelves and a television although no contact to the outside world. Sam’s parents did everything in their power to make him feel safe and at home. Sam though could still feel how oppressing his surroundings were. It may have been the daily tests or the excruciating experiments. To escape from his reality he started to send his projections around the world experimenting day by day with his power. After he was confident enough he started recording in his memory every place that was useful. No one knew that this was going on. Sam came to be independent and free but still imprisoned for the single reason he still cared for his parents. They kept taking care of him and he let them. He was comfortable in this luxurious prison.

It was a little bit before his fifteenth birthday that the psionic message was transmitted. Sam sheltered as he was his whole life, crouched in fear. He could not resist the power of that voice. He drew all his projections back into his prison sanctuary and kept them there; the astral energy protected him from the psionic message. That day many people died and in the following weeks more and more people from the compound left or were killed. Some were transferred into the Sentinel Programme. His parents remained with him as long as they could. Until one day he woke up and found on his desk a tape. He inserted it and saw his parents sitting there, sad and burdened. They explained him everything that had happened about Genosha, about Magneto, about the Mutant-Prime. They explained to him about the Sentinel Programme and how, to save humanity they would go help built the Sentinels. They wished for him to stay hidden. Hidden until the war was over, they would try to bring him food as often as possible. They said they loved him and the tape ended. Sam was not sad; instead he was resolute to follow his parents’ wishes. As they promised food was brought to him every other week and the compound was connected to a water source so he would never run out of water. Every now and then the couriers that brought him food told him news of the outside world, sometimes he brought with him a tape from his parents, in every tape they looked more and more miserable. A bit more often he brought him books and newspapers.

It wasn’t long after though that the tapes stopped; the couriers came at night and they never talked to him. They brought him no books or newspapers. A year after the food stopped coming altogether. Sam tried to survive as best as he could with what he had but slowly he saw that that wasn’t enough, he had to go out and see the world once more. He started slowly venturing first into the compound only to realise that it was really abandoned, only a few warehouses had some weapons and vehicles inside. Day by day he sent his projections further and further out, away from the compound. He witnessed the post-apocalyptic environment. He slowly pieced together the truth that the Sentinels had taken over and were fighting with the Mutant-Prime. In the last year he had really been imprisoned and the whole world had changed. Sam did not know what to do, so he did they only thing he knew how to do. He went back and hid and kept himself in his sanctuary.

In the following years, Samuel read books, exercised his body, practiced some martial arts, he learned how to use the weapons and machines in the compound and at the same time he sent his projections to get food and to gather information; all the while hoping that he would find out what happened to his parents. He slowly became a passive observer, watching all the time and acting on the rarest of occasions and only if that wouldn't risk his safety. In all those years Sam appeared sporadically and very briefly to people. Although he still warned some groups before disappearing, sometimes of impending attacks or of small bits and pieces of information that might help them. He became known as the Red-Eyed Ghost and even though he kept his appearances to a minimum, the rumours spread.

Powers: Astral Projection – Basically Sam can create projections of himself, these projections can be corporal or incorporeal but his body is weakened the more projections he has, in a way its cloning but at the same time it’s not, as he can project himself to anyplace he has seen even if that’s a picture. On the other hand whereas he can have up to ten incorporeal projections up and moving, he can only have two corporal ones, excluding himself. Also when a projection appears it creates a small amount of light before it settles. He can also switch his real body with a projection at any time. He can also carry a maximum weight of thirty kilos with him when he moves his real projections; if he tries more it disintegrates. One more thing when he has no projections up, Samuel can harness the astral energy of his power to regenerate at a faster pace, not like wolverine but it helps.
Other: I am still not sure where to place Compound 17, any ideas are welcome. Also my character’s real body may be in the Compound but his projections, or at least one of them can be anywhere in the world.
Writing Sample: Most recent sample, I used to be better but what can I say I am rusty...
http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50785&start=5
Last edited by Elend-X on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

Postby Belwicket » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Akaine wrote:
My_Little_Sister wrote:(WIP)Appearance: Sheryl has brunette hair with natural auburn highlights. She has fair white skin and chocolate brown eyes that compliment her very well. Her body is average yet skinny. Her muscles don’t seem to be very defined, but she still has some there.
Personality: Sheryl is a very lovable person. She’s generally happy all the time, and can rarely get ticked off. But when she is ticked off, she can just barely hold her tongue, or she’d be throwing fists and swearing like a sailor. She is also stubborn to a fault.

Hokay, I have a couple things I'd like to see in this appearance.

-How long is the hair and is it styled in any particular way? Is it oily and greasy or does she take the time to maintain it?
-Does her skin have any imperfections? Any scars? If so, what do they look like?
-What do her eyes bring out in her, why do they compliment her? Do they bring out her cheekbones or something like that?
-Average yet skinny...What kind of muscle type does she have? Is her bone structure big-boned, petite, or somewhere in the middle?
-What type of clothing does she usually wear?
-Does she wear any jewelry, have any tattoos, or piercings?

This'll do for now. Hopefully this'll be helpful. In your description, try to make your sentences longer and more detailed. For example, instead of just saying that she has brown hair with auburn highlights, you could say that she her brown hair with auburn highlights is cut into a fashionable bob that frames her pointy chin in an artistic manner. The more description you give, the more people can get a visual of the character you have in your head.

Thanks, man. I'll work on her tomorrow.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Imenak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Akaine and Living, as your king, I command you to continue aiding MLS. Er... I mean as my friends.

@TheMaddness: He's one of the few who is MIA, possibly being dead or captured. Also, try to fix that random letter capitalization problem you got, mainly within your CS when you start working on it.

@Elend: The power is fine. You have time, but elaborate on your character's history too. Think of it as another kind of writing sample.
"A pistol is a tool to save people. It's not a weapon for murder." "Then save me by killing them!" "That's kinda contradictory..."
My Characters' Endings

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Hey Imenak, quick question.

What kind of sentinels are they, and what can they do? I presume at least energy blasts, mutant detection, probably flight and of course being giant robots, but anything else in particular?
For the Greater Good

Postby Glacier » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Its no fun if the GM shows their hand, leave that a surprise

Postby sam4books » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Whelp, still figuring out how Bridget's going to escape the onslaught. Too many cities in the San Francisco Bay to choose from :X
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Imenak wrote:Akaine and Living, as your king, I command you to continue aiding MLS. Er... I mean as my friends.

Aye aye. *salutes* Even working on that CS to. Having so much fun with his history. So close to finished.

Postby Styx » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Please let me know anything I should fix and/or improve on before the final selection is made.

Name: Hector Whitmore

Appearance: Hector is a bit shorter than average standing about 5 foot 6 inches on a good day. Short brown hair that he keeps spiked using a large amount of hair gel tops his head. Olive skin covers his body and a 5 o clock shadow typically covers his face. In his mind he is trying to grow a beard despite the fact he seems incapable of growing facial hair beyond a heavy stubble. Standing out on his face are his blue eyes a genetic feature that seems not to fit the rest of his natural appearance. His outfit generally consists of fingerless leather gloves on the hands a black trench coat covering T-shirt and jeans. Black steel toed boots cover his feet. He settled on this outfit because it fits his vision of himself. Underneath all his clothing is a lean cut adult, having been hardened from living in the mountainous wilderness his body shows signs of survival small scars dot his chest arms and legs from deep cuts and falls signs of healing but not complete leaving an imperfection on that olive skin.

Personality: Hector is rather easy going and helpful, he feels he must do what he can to help and free those in the settlements. He remembers in his life when he felt helpless and alone and remembers those who have helped him and while they are now gone killed as the sentinels "protected" the human population he feels he must live by their example.Too many close calls and betrayals have forced Hector into keeping people at arms lengths. While not a loner he keeps his mental shields up on high alert so to speak. Over the years it has become he would rather be alone than risk being betrayed again. Hector is very level headed he has learned that anger and revenge lead to more stupid choices and getting caught in current times and in others lead to lost friendships and broken relationships. He knows he cannot end this war on his own, Hector hopes he can find other mutants and humans willing to band together and end this war and bring something that could resemble normal back to this world.

History: Hector was born in the mountain region of North Carolina and had a rather average life as the geeky son of a lower middle class family living in a school district populated primarily of those children in upper class or upper middle class families. Being the target of bullying and name calling he grew a thick skin and became shy and introverted while desiring the social connection. That changed during middle school, Hector started to study painting at the local community center. Taking every single class he could he soon found himself a social circle of local artists and aspiring painters although he was by far the youngest his words and criticism of his companion's work was valued more so than some others. Hector was no longer alone, He felt these people protected him and kept him safe in their own way and he knew he would one day repay that debt. While still being bullied and picked on at school Hector had his sanctuary his refuge and he began to thrive creatively. Near the end of middle school his mutant powers began to manifest themselves and he desperately tried to keep them a secret not wanting to be ridiculed for being more different than he already was. For a while he seemed that the weather seemed to follow his emotions, when he was happy the weather was nice and sunny but when he was sad or depressed it was cloudy and dark. It wasn't until after a unusually violent beating at the hands of a local bully that Hector found himself wishing revenge on the boy. While hector slept a thunderstorm formed over the boy's house repeated lightning strikes caused an electrical fire and the family's house burnt down. Hector seeing this on the news believed he had something to do with this and began to develop and experiment trying to gain control of his power and further his own skill.
With the rise of Master Mold and Apocalypse, Hector found himself homeless and alone. His parents were killed in a Sentinel attack his home destroyed and being a mutant he went on the run. Hiding in the mountains of North Carolina he was able to stay under the radar for a while training himself to be more fit, building himself shelter and struggling to survive. He managed to stay alone and well for the first 2 years. The 2 years of solitude had enraged Hector, he swore revenge against Master Mold blaming the AI and the sentinels for his trauma. Hector has become somewhat of a guerilla against the Sentinel's while not succesful in the grand scheme he has accomplished what can be described as a minor inconviences such as cutting power for a few hours, or cutting security cameras. He takes great pride in his accomplishments in his mind becoming a folk hero, a vigilante and a freedom fighter mixed together in a blender. While risky for him his actions have had little impact on the nearby settlements who are strong as ever.A few escapees and other resisters have tried to band with him and he has refused, early on he welcomed these opportunities but many tried to stab him in the back or betray him in other ways and now he works alone.

Powers: Hector has power over the weather. Wind, Rain, Hail, Storms, Lightning, Fog are all under his control. Hector is in love with his ability always trying to train himself to become stronger to make a difference. While Hector has great control of his powers he does not have the control necessary to allow him to fly or manipulate large objects. At most he could deflect large thrown objects like trash cans, however doing so is such a drain upon himself. He has found it easier to use existing weather conditions and grow from that point rather than creating them on his own. Lightning is easier to summon when a storm is brewing and Fog is easier to summon during the dewy morning although either can be done in any condition. While his powers can still be used indoors there is even more of a drain than creating a condition from scratch. Lightning for Hector is the hardest to create as it requires the most focus and control to manipulate. He hypothesizes that if he could increase his energy capacity and focus he could create multiple tornados or maybe a hurricane but the energy required for those forces of destruction are beyond his ability. The most Hector has ever managed is a single tornado on a clear day and it left him unable to do more than crawl for 4 days.

Other: Hector always has his sketchbook and a few sticks of charcoal. He sketches to clear his head and the act has become a kind of therapy for him, He often feels it is the only thing that gets him through he wants a world where he can be an artist again and not a freedom fighter.
Writing Sample: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47760&start=0
Last edited by Styx on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Glacier wrote:Its no fun if the GM shows their hand, leave that a surprise

I mean, it's been five years, and plenty of people have presumably either run into one or seen them in action. The basics would probably be well known to anyone from sentinel controlled areas.
For the Greater Good

Postby Imenak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:58 pm

@Styx: I'd choose a different power. We already have an illusionist, and being a vet, she's going to be substantially powerful. Although it's common for mutants to have similar or identical powers, variation amongst the player characters is nice to have.

NeoWarrior7 wrote:What kind of sentinels are they, and what can they do? I presume at least energy blasts, mutant detection, probably flight and of course being giant robots, but anything else in particular?

Aside from the usual things (like what you listed, missiles, rocket hands, net/cables that can shoot from their hands to ensnare people, and the ability to disrupt mutant powers) you'd expect from a Sentinel, any other possible weapons or abilities are rarely, if ever, known by people. This is because if they've seen it, they're most likely dead or captured. Also, Sentinels may have different armaments for different situations, especially if they are aware of the kind of powers they'll be facing. There's also different models of Sentinel in action, although not many, and I'll make those clear once the IC is gonna go up.
My Characters' Endings

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:03 am

Ok, thank you.
For the Greater Good

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:30 am

There we go. Just let me know if you have any problems with the powers or the history there Imenak.

The Character Sheet

Name: Franklin Dempter
Codename: Dreamweaver

Appearance: Franklin has grown a bit since he was last at the Institute. He now stands at 5’9’’ and has even gained a little bit of muscle. Even so, he remains thin and lanky and about as pale in complexion as he’s ever been. His black hair while longish before has grown out of control. It’s long, dirty, greasy, frizzy and generally looks as if it had been given up on some time ago. Franklin’s eyes are dull grey in color and listless, almost eternally half open. In fact, Franklin’s whole demeanor is that of someone who is ready to fall asleep at any moment. He moves slowly, ploddingly, and more often than not with a slouch or a stoop. His tiredness about him, however, is a certain world weariness than merely being physical or mental exhaustion.

Franklin wears mostly loose fitting and comfortable clothing with little regard color or style. He generally can be found wearing a pair of green and blue plaid pajama pants and an oversized black tee shirt and a well worn pair of sneakers.

Personality: Franklin is and has always been a lazy sort of guy. He only ever really does the bare minimum to get by and is content with that. He’d much rather laze the day away than most anything else. It’s kind of a hard thing to achieve when trying to survive in the Sentinel controlled wasteland but he still makes do. When he actually bothers acting he is practical and efficient about it. Get it done, done quick, and done right. That way you can get back to not doing it and not have to worry about it afterwards. When properly mustered he can actually be a decent worker, if only for a short while. Franklin is also an incredibly forward person. He isn’t afraid to speak his mind, or say anything to anyone should they actually be worth the breath and the effort.

In the years since the battle Franklin has only grown more detached. He no longer pays any attention to the world around him, cares for the people around him, or even himself beyond basic survival. He’s essentially given up on the world and himself. He can’t be of any help to anybody. To find peace he fled into his own dreams.

History: The loss at Genosha had hit Franklin incredibly hard. He was one of the few who had argued that they shouldn’t have gone in the first place. Somehow or another though he was convince to come along, and just like the thought everything went all to shit. In the aftermath Magneto was dead, the Professor was in a coma, and
his fellow students had scattered to the four winds. He knew they should have gone. Not in a million years should they have done it. Nothing they did would have changed anything. In the end, there was nothing really left for Franklin. The promise of Genosha was now more than ever a big fat joke and the Institute was all but abandoned. He went to the only place he knew he could go, home. It was the very last place he wanted to go. Family tensions were beginning to hit the fan ever since he started going to the institute. Despite all that, it was better than being alone, or so he had hoped. He stopped at the Institute just long enough to collect a few things before heading out. His parents had long arranged his return. Franklin had simply never taken them up on it.

The bus ride all the way back to Maine was a long one. Fortunately he slept most of the way if only to drown out his own fears and worries about returning. What’s worse is that neither of his parents had called once since the batter. Beforehand they had been calling nonstop. He even tried calling them once. There was no answer. So he slept and tried to forget, losing himself to his dreams. Franklin arrived to find his home only mostly empty. His parents were there alright, but they had long since departed from this earth. They were dead, taken from him when the First had seized Magneto’s brainwashing machine. Franklin had lost it then. Years of pent up frustration and hatred came rushing to the surface. Both of them had wanted to lock him away for entirely different reasons and he despised him for it. His mother had never stopped treating him like a little baby. He had been in and out of hospitals for years before discovering he was a mutant, and she never got over how fragile he seemed while asleep. She just wanted to hug and coddle him and keep away all the dangers of the world. As bad as she was his father was even worse. He was a high powered executive and if ever got out that his son was a mutant he would be finished. It didn’t help that he was fervently anti mutant to begin with. The less Franklin was in the public eye the better. He never even wanted Franklin to go to the Institute in the first place. He had been avoiding it but there was so much he wanted to chew them out for. He wanted to yell and scream and break off ties in his own way. Now that pleasure was forever denied him. He sated himself by grabbing a shovel and bringing it down upon their lifeless bodies again and again and again. He plastered them until he couldn’t even hold the shovel any more. If any one was going to kill his parents, it should have been him. Once that thought might have phased him, but he was too tired, too empty to really care anymore. The next day Franklin buried his parents in the yard with that same shovel.

Franklin didn’t leave his parent’s cage for a long time. It was a fairly isolated home in rural Maine on a large piece of land. His father’s job had afforded them a big house with all the amenities. The pantry was always fully stocked and he didn’t eat much. He couldn’t care less what was going on in the outside world. For a long time Franklin simply existed. He slept, he ate, and he dreamed, nothing more and nothing less. Nobody bothered him and he bothered nobody, and that was just peachy as far as he was concerned. Eventually though food ran out. It couldn’t have lasted for ever. If Franklin wanted to keep on existing he would need to find more. After months of doing nothing he set back into the world to scavenge whatever food he could.

He did well enough on his own for a while. That was until he ran into a Sentinel. It would have made short work of him if it hadn’t been for a small band of resistance fighters that came to his aid, Searchlight they had called themselves. Franklin would have liked nothing more than to just thank them go back to being on his own but he knew better than that. His powers were useless against the Sentinels. Robots neither slept nor dreamt. He stuck around, if only for his own safety, doing only the bare minimum required of him. Eventually however Searchlight began to shrink as its members were captured or killed. Without wishing it Franklin found himself forced into positions of importance in the group; picking targets, scouting, planning retreats... His training at the institute served him well in that regard but there were losses. There were always losses. A leader, however, he was not. Unfortunately that’s where it ended up. After a particularly bad mission the only members of Searchlight left were Franklin and three young teens. He had stayed behind to watch them and hold the fort while the others hit a target but they never returned. It wasn’t long before the Sentinels came for them their too. What’s worse is that is was his own fault they found Searchlight’s hideout. He tried and failed spectacularly to lead his charges to safety. They were all captured. He alone by some miracle happened to escape. The numbness that was slowly fading during his time with Searchlight returned with a vengeance. He had had enough. If the world was going to fall apart, it could. He didn’t need it. He needed naught but his dreams. At there he could find some peace. Franklin crawled into a burned out building curled himself up and drifted off for what he hoped would be the last time. Soon enough though the Sentinels found his body and whisked him off to parts unknown, Franklin none the wiser.

Powers: Franklin’s most basic power is to put people to sleep. All it takes is a touch and within a few seconds they’ll be out like a light. Even a light tap is enough to make someone sluggish and disoriented. Physical contact need not be direct. Clothes as a rule do not hinder his power as long as they are not excessively thick.

More interestingly, while awake, Franklin has the ability to lull people into a sort of waking dream. The waking dreamer is subject to most anything he wishes them to see, hear, and to a lesser extent smell and taste, but not touch. You can’t touch that which is all in your head. A little contact might be believed however, as long as it remains brief and the dreamer doesn’t realize that they are indeed dreaming. An aware mind is all it takes to see through the hallucinations. Building on this, Franklin has developed the power to almost sense another person’s fear. He doesn’t so much gain a conscious knowledge of it so much as unlock that part of the dreamer’s subconscious causing it to more easily come to the surface. It allows Franklin to project the dreamer’s own fears back into their waking dream, or rather, nightmare.

While asleep, Franklin’s powers take on an almost different form entirely they also become greatly expanded. Unfortunately he must be asleep or otherwise unconscious for them to work as such. While sleeping, Franklin’s ability to put others to sleep works at a distance without the need for physical contact. It takes a little longer to put someone under this way, but anyone within 150ft is subject to passing out. Oddly enough Franklin can also wake any sleeping persons within the area of effect even if they are in a dead sleep including himself. While putting people to sleep works indiscriminately, Franklin may pick and choose those he wakes.

Franklin’s power over dreams becomes more pronounced. While both he and the dreamer are sleeping, Franklin can in a manner of speaking ‘dive’ into the dream of another. Not only can he view another’s dream but exert a limited amount of control over it as well. He is also able to unlock other emotions within the dreamer’s subconscious and project them back into the dream; love, hate, joy, jealousy ect... Fear however still has the strongest sway. Even the dreamer’s deepest fears can be dredged up from the depths of their mind whether dreamer is conscious of the fear or not. Once the subject becomes aware that they are dreaming however Franklin loses all control over the dream, and can be summarily forced out. Conversely Franklin can drag the dreamer into his own dreams wherein he has complete control of the dream itself but loses the connection to the dreamer’s subconscious. A particularly strong willed and lucid dreamer may break free of the dream or even resist the attempt to be dragged in but it will be a fight. The dreamer’s awareness is this state is much less a factor here as strength of will takes much more precedence.

Postby Belwicket » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:47 am

That's a big CS.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby GnSz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:00 am

I have to say, I love Franklin's powers. Love dream-related things.

Also, hi people. Going to attempt to get into this, let's see... WIP, it's a WIP. I made a quick drawing of him from the shoulders up, but I'm not planning on putting it on here.

Name: Van Joy

Appearance: He stands at 5'9," with a runner's build from years of being on the run, with light muscle definition, and looks much younger than he actually is. With mixed descent he has Asian-dominant features (curved eyes, thin frame and bone structure) and slightly tanned skin, with darker-than-black hair. His hair has an unusual wave that halos his face, most of which falls to his shoulders, held back by a set of visor-sunglasses. His bangs fall to his chin and hide his sharp cheekbones, often hiding his covered left eye, his other eye a visible mix of deep brown and hazel.

Van doesn't like showing skin, and often wears fitted long sleeves and jeans, all earthy and dark, along with a set of woven fingerless gloves and worn-out boots with signs of faded friction and damage. When the air is cool he layers up with a hoodie, jacket and sometimes a scarf of choice. He likes things simple, and having too many things on his person could trip up his style.

In warmer climates he wears a loose short sleeve and shorts, and flip-flops. But honestly, when's that going to happen?

Personality: Van is a reserved fellow who seems cool and calm upon first appearance, but that doesn't mean he's quiet. A polite fellow who only speaks when spoken to, he displays a level of charisma when with others, and has a charming smile that leaves a good first impression. He is an expressive talker, and often uses his whole body with gestures and such as part of his repertoire of conversation. But when the talking is done and things quiet down he keeps to himself, often lost in his own thoughts, his lips locked in a bittersweet smile and eye steeled.

He is a young man filled with curiosity, and often his curiosity has cost him more than once. But when not stumbling into mischief he can be found going through books, learning and discovering things that pick at his interest. His life in academia was cut short thanks to the sudden turn in the world, but it never squandered his continued interest. When given the chance he invests in a good read.

When he is alone, he is always looking up at the sky. He peers up towards the beauty of an untouched view. Even when surrounded by a hopeless and seemingly desperate world, he tries to not get pulled down when the going gets tough. Hope. Hopeful is what Van is and tries to be, for he has a feeling that things will get better. Even if it wasn't today, or tomorrow, or ten years later, but for the strangest reason, Van feels that someday things will be better than this. And as a mutant, as a human being, he strives to reach it. A naive dream people would call it, and he doesn't blame them.

History: Current events always had something concerning the rising appearance of mutants. In fact, it became a part of daily life, one that Van's own family was able to accept. His father and mother, both educators, were very accepting people, so the possibility of humans evolving further didn't seem like a big deal. Sure things like being able to fly and exhibiting superhuman abilities was farfetched, but there were many things about the world that was unexplainable by means of science. His parents were some of the few who supported the pro-mutant movement, as little as it was, believing that integrating and accepting this new step of evolution proved to only benefit mankind.

Of course, their colleagues speculated and were skeptic of this. Nevertheless they weren't afraid of voicing their opinion of the matter. Van himself was affected by the visible treatment and effect the mutant uprising caused, and became interested by it. It had some influence over his own plans, leading him to fly to the West Coast for further studies. Already such controversy such as unethical treatment and prejudice sparked intriguing viewpoints and changes in the studies of human beings, and Van himself became an active participant in such discussions.

Van was going into his second year at Reed in Portland Oregon, studying Sociology and touching upon Psychology and Philosophy when events escalated both the notoriety and rise of mutant activity. Forces collided, and whatever happened had happened so dramatically and suddenly, Van didn't know what to think of it. One minute he was reading one of many books at the Portland library in preparation of his graduating thesis, the next he was on the floor as he felt his body suddenly quake, the book literally fall through his hand and a voice echo even into the recesses of his mind. He blacked out from the shock, and as he awoke to find himself on the lobby floor... two stories below where he once stood. As he rose from the marble floor, he found his fall cushioned by... something very warm and soft. He found bodies all around him. Those still alive were screaming and panicking, and he himself was trying to pick up the pieces as he experienced minor shock and horror. As the mysterious voice's intent was made clear, sheer panic took over everyone, and Van was one of those caught in the fray of what would be a blur.

He tried getting a hold of his parents, to no avail. Van tried contacting their colleagues, but no reply. He was hit hard by something he didn't want to be true: that it was possible that they were dead. As he himself fell into a state of shock and despair, the world continued to turn. Decimation, destruction, and the fall of man began, and Van was one of the few who somehow kept their sanity throughout the transformation of earth's face, growing up in a darkening world. And when the creation, defection, and rise of Master Mold caused the fabric of humanity to fall, Van found himself among the dwindling human population that fled and tried to remain free and alive. The library incident became almost forgotten, and he didn't find it odd that he somehow got from the third floor to the first floor of the library until years later.

Throughout the years after the rise of Master Mold and Apocalypse, Van began to notice things happening. As the pieces added up and the memory of the library returning, he came upon the realization that he was in fact one of the growing number of mutants in the world. The first thing he thought of were his late parents, and second was how the hell could he do anything for anyone? With his abilities he was able to do things others could not, and was able to lead many to safety. While the Sentinels were growing stronger and greater in number, the few able-bodied folk were able to scrounge an organized effort of escape. They created a modern Underground Railroad for the few still free, with certain individuals at key points. Van became one of the key members of said Underground, using his abilities to lead the few through areas that could not be seen. As long as they could escape the Sentinel territories they could at least try to journey towards human-safe lands by means of sea. Discreetly he was able to whisk many to the docks, sending them off to safer territories.

It was through this experience he was able to experience something he hadn't felt in a long time: a faint glimmer of hope. He saw it in those he led to safety, and possible freedom, in the eyes of those who once thought themselves drowning in misfortune. They saw in him something they hadn't had, and something they now could grasp thanks to the work of him and his fellow comrades that beckoned them forth towards refuge across an expansive ocean.

Van's position and powers allowed him to be a key force in the freedom effort, but there were times during said tasks that led to casualties; some minor scars were also caused by minor injuries that were caused by the blips of his abilities. Nevertheless he was somehow able to escape, slipping through their lumbering fingers.

But even Van knows that his luck grows thin, and fortune can only smile on him for so long.

Powers: Density Control. He has the ability to control the density of molecules, changing the capabilities of his body. Though his powers only appeared in recent years, he has been able to figure out tricks and such with his abilities. However, he hasn't really had the free time to fully experiment with the extent of his powers nor the initial guidance to understand it. Had he had the fortune of time and training, he could have more knowledge besides his two-cent tricks.

The first is the ability to phase, or in other words: intangibility. He can't turn invisible (as it would cause him to fade from existence), but he can cause the density of his molecules to change to the point of literally going through objects. Doing that to himself is no problem (but takes a conscious effort), and throughout the years he's been able to manipulate the density of objects and others (an an expense). It does cause mental strain, and attempting to move through certain materials prove tasking. Because going through objects disrupts their own structure, it can weaken, interrupt, or even short-circuit objects and living beings. His previous experience and accidents involving disrupted phasing resulted in messy situations for those on the wrong end, and he tries hard to never let it happen again.

The flipside of phasing would be increased density... if he figured out how to do it. To his knowledge he only knows how to phase through things, and as for increasing density, he himself hasn't a clue. There have been times where he exhibits this part of the ability, especially when he subconsciously reacts to attacks, granting him split-second invulnerability.

If ever he figures it out, it could in the end be a great benefit for him.

Other: Something had happened during the recent years that caused his left eye to warp. He keeps it covered due to scarring as well as masking the strange effect it left its state in. Van himself finds it unsettling, and tries to keep it unseen behind a form-fitted patch. He theorizes that it has something to do with his own mutant abilities, but he doesn't know what.

Van doesn't talk about his past, his cut-short college pursuits, or his "dead" parents. It's been years since and though the scars are there, they aren't as fresh as they had been during the first few dark years. He's rather private of such sensitive information.

Writing Sample: I unfortunately cannot give a writing sample at this time, as I haven't RPed in... a long time.
Last edited by GnSz on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby sam4books » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:02 am

GINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby GnSz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:00 am

Don't be too surprised. :P I saw this RP and couldn't help but want to jump in. I only hope to get accepted.

Anyways, so I noticed Hawaii's not colored. That's miiiiighty interesting.

Nak, I completed my CS, but I'm uncertain about the History section. I don't want there to be inconsistencies, and if it doesn't work, hopefully I can change things around to make it so. Also, is the power okay? I know we discussed this earlier but I want to make sure that I'm not pushing it. ALSO, because I haven't RPed in a long time, I can't really give you a simple sample of my writing abilities. What should I do for that section?

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:31 am

My_Little_Sister wrote:That's a big CS.

Imenak warned you that a fair few of us like to write to some length. Don't concern yourself too too much.

Postby Asmodai » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:13 am

Mephobiac

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:45 am

Ugh...this is filling up quickly.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Ro Wong » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 am

CS looking good, sweetie. Keep up the good work. ^__^
Demon of Elru

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing