The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Hopefully nil.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Perrito Caliente » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:44 pm

I watched the whole Korra panel on youtube. The creators are pretty funny. I have faith in them to make this series even better than the last. A lot of people are scared of a new series. I suppose I can understand that but still, they should trust the creators more.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.

Postby Perrito Caliente » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Forgive me for double posting, but I just have to say, Korra's world looks breath taking. Central Park, The Bridge, all of it is just stunning. There's just so much detail put in every nook and cranny of this show's environment that it's practically orgasmic just looking at it. It brings tears to my eyes and joy to my heart to see how much everything's evolved. I just can't contain my excitement. This series will raise the bar on every show coming out after it.

P.S.
I think the only reason they picked Janet Varney was so they could have a recognizable nickelodeon figure to do annoying live action commercials for the show. Like they did with Jerry Trainor
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

Postby BeeAre » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 pm

I love steampunk kung fu magic worlds myself. more of it can't be a bad thing. Jade Empire yadda yadda Read Or Die yadda yadda.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Perrito Caliente » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 pm

I honestly get more of a disel punk feel from this series. Which makes sense scince the original was very steam punkish, disel punk is sort of the evolution of that.

P.S
Here is a link to the Korra Panels
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

The audience is pationate to say the least

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Perrito Caliente wrote:The audience is pationate to say the least

It's spelled "passionate".

A Muslim on his first visit to Mecca experiences states of exaltation less frequently, than an average avatar fan at Comic-Con.

God I loath this particular fanbase, so much. I bet half of them aren't even listening to what's being said.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Perrito Caliente » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Rival wrote:
Perrito Caliente wrote:The audience is pationate to say the least

It's spelled "passionate".

A Muslim on his first visit to Mecca experiences states of exaltation less frequently, than an average avatar fan at Comic-Con.

God I loath this particular fanbase, so much. I bet half of them aren't even listening to what's being said.

How did I not catch that misspelling? :redface:

Anyways I like the fanbase. They're annoying as fuck. But I like 'em.

Postby BeeAre » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Please do not make a distinction between diesel and steam -punk.

that's like arguing over your favorite cut of Blade Runner, only nowhere near as cool.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Perrito Caliente » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:55 pm

BeeAre wrote:Please do not make a distinction between diesel and steam -punk.

that's like arguing over your favorite cut of Blade Runner, only nowhere near as cool.

Diesel punk is pretty much steam punk but with a gray color pallet... and also the titular fact that everything runs on diesel instead of steam.

But whatever.

On a completely off topic note
I was thinking about watching the legendary cowboy beebop. What do you guy's think?

Postby Rival » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:36 am

Mate, firstly this is completely off-topic, which would be fine if the conversation naturally moved in that direction, but you just mention Cowboy Bebop out of the blue.

Secondly, why would you need our opinions? It's a classic so it's worth giving a go just to form an opinion for yourself. If you don't like it, after like the first 8 episodes or so, you can always stop watching.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:27 am

Okay yeah that was off topic. Don't know why I said that.

But on to something that is on subject. Will the show premiere on Nickelodeon or Nicktoons. I have both channels but only one TV can watch Nicktoons. The reason I'm saying that is that the trailer is officially on the nicktoons website but not on the nickelodeon website.

Postby Rival » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:33 am

Perrito Caliente wrote:But on to something that is on subject. Will the show premiere on Nickelodeon or Nicktoons.

Nickelodeon according to this:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/ ... speak/?KEY

Nicktoons would make no sense with something that's bound to have great ratings.

Postby Gundam » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:47 am

Damn SHIPPERS!
One weird Snafu

Postby Perrito Caliente » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:25 pm

That's the image I saw. lol

Threesome ftw

Postby Comic Kitten » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:11 pm

I am sooo stoked for this new series! For how good the old one was, this one is sure to be better.
Meow.

Postby Perrito Caliente » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Republic City reminds me of Samurai Jack for some reason. Maybe because its just so detailed. I love it when people actually put thought and effort into their backgrounds. It just adds to the atmosphere of the world. Samurai Jack mastered atmosphere hands down, so lets see if this show will do the same.

Postby Comic Kitten » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I think it will be better because the show went so well before, they have a much higher budget to work with now. You can even compare the quality of cartoons from season to season right now! I bet this one will top Samurai Jack and Avatar combined :D
Meow.

Postby Perrito Caliente » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:32 pm

You are completely right. Plus the creators are personally writing all the episodes and getting rid of all fillers. They want to make this a tight and satisfying story.

Postby Princess » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Maybe it's just me.. but I maybe found one filler episode of Avatar annoying. Everything else was character development, which was needed.

Example: The Beach.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Alopunk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:19 pm

I think The Beach is one of my most favorite episodes.
Lord Soth: ^ That one does have a fascination in making people more sparkly.
Sable: And here I thought the sparkles you added to everything was cocaine.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not much of a punk.

Postby Princess » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 pm

It's definitely one of my favorite fillers, due to them showing the "bad guys' " POV. But Crossroads of Destiny is my all time favorite episode. Azula fucking kicked ass in that episode.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Perrito Caliente » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:Maybe it's just me.. but I maybe found one filler episode of Avatar annoying. Everything else was character development, which was needed.

It's not like the filler was bad, but sometimes filler is still just filler. I don't think Mike and Bryan want a wasted word in this new series. I think that's is another reason why its a lot shorter (26 episodes compared to ATLA's 61).

My personal favorite episodes are probably the Black Sun two-parter and the Sozin Comet four-parter. They were such big epics with fantastic action. But If I had to pick any ONE episode it would be the very last one. DEAR GOD! I will never forget that episode. I remember watching that episode in 2008. I was so sad, happy, and exited. That single episode evoked so much emotion for me and cemented just how great a series this was as a hole. Plus Avatar Aang is a fucking badass (destroying an entire canyon with a single rock).

Plus the last agni kai was easily the greatest fight in any cartoon EVER.

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 am

Perrito Caliente wrote:Republic City reminds me of Samurai Jack for some reason.

That must be one mind-boggling reason, Samurai Jack's future was a dystopia.

Republic City seems pretty close to an Utopia, only with villains added due to plot.

Also, I'm sorry, comic_kitten, but Samurai Jack seasons 3 and 4>anything on Avatar so far. Episodes like The Birth of Evil, Samurai versus Ninja, Seasons of Death and Tale of X9 are just top-notch cinematic storytelling. You don't see such stuff in TV cartoons these day. It's peerless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amB2saWEq8w

I don't doubt Korra will be great, but to "top Samurai Jack and Avatar combined" hell even just "top Samurai Jack", no way. Especially, since Konietzko and DiMartino said there will again be "cheesy teen romance", so even they admit their storytelling is cheesy at times. A great budget and fantastic fighting choreography isn't everything.
Stufflikehearts wrote:Maybe it's just me.. but I maybe found one filler episode of Avatar annoying. Everything else was character development, which was needed.

HA That's my least favorite episode of season 3.

Ty Lee and Mai come across like whiney 13 year old self-centered teenagers. Oh dear, one of you you had seven sisters and the other was the daugther of a famous politician and neither of you were centers of attention or did get much warmth from your parents? Well tough shit, a ton of people have way worse childhoods than that. Still doesn't explain how both of you, didn't give a flying fuck whether Mai's younger brother dies or not when he was kidnapped. Mai's such a self-centered bitch, it's not funny.

And Zuko and Azula had way better character exploration episodes in season 3. Zuko had "The Avatar and the Firelord" and "The Day of Black Sun Part " and Azula had "The Boiling Rock" and "Sozin's Comet part 3".

In "the Beach" Azula's character development was almost non-existant. Sure she has the great line "My own mother thought I was a monster... She was right, of course! But it still hurt.", but it's just handwaved, it's "Sozin's Comet part 3" that properly explores her character.

And then there's the little gem of a scene in which Azula asks Ty Lee advice on how not to gross away boys, ugh, just no. I know they're teenagers, but don't write them like they're Californian 21st Century teenagers, they live in an Asiatic fantasy setting for Christ's sake.
Perrito Caliente wrote:I don't think Mike and Bryan want a wasted word in this new series. I think that's is another reason why its a lot shorter (26 episodes compared to ATLA's 61).

Pffffffffffffft

Hate to break it to you, boy, but it's the network that decides the number of episodes, the creators have fuck all to say.

Originally Nick ordered 12 episodes, then they decided that they want 26. Had they ordered 120, DiMartino nd Konietzko would have made 120.

Postby Perrito Caliente » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:13 am

Rival wrote:
Perrito Caliente wrote:Republic City reminds me of Samurai Jack for some reason.

That must be one mind-boggling reason, Samurai Jack's future was a dystopia.

Republic City seems pretty close to an Utopia, only with villains added due to plot.

I mean as far as atmosphere goes, not actual setting.
Rival wrote:Also, I'm sorry, comic_kitten, but Samurai Jack seasons 3 and 4>anything on Avatar so far. Episodes like The Birth of Evil, Samurai versus Ninja, Seasons of Death and Tale of X9 are just top-notch cinematic storytelling. You don't see such stuff in TV cartoons these day. It's peerless.

Tales of X9 was fucking amazing.
Rival wrote:Hate to break it to you, boy, but it's the network that decides the number of episodes, the creators have fuck all to say. Originally Nick ordered 12 episodes, then they decided that they want 26. Had they ordered 120, DiMartino nd Konietzko would have made 120.

I know the network are the people who decide, but I think its a number Mike & Bryan can work with. They will probably order mores episodes if this new show is popular.

Oh yeah, I have a question. Did they write and animate the first season with the second season in mind? Did they even know there would be a second season when they made the first. I honestly have no Idea how the fuck a TV show works.

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 am

Perrito Caliente wrote:Oh yeah, I have a question. Did they write and animate the first season with the second season in mind? Did they even know there would be a second season when they made the first. I honestly have no Idea how the fuck a TV show works.

They didn't "know" if it'd get a 2nd season, since it depends on ratings and merch sales.

But yes, the show was planned to be a 3 season story from the start.
Perrito Caliente wrote:I mean as far as atmosphere goes, not actual setting.

It goes for atmosphere, too. Setting and atmosphere are linked. Samurai Jack's future city was grim and soulless. Republic City is vibrant and beautiful.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)