The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:#1 There is no correct pattern to learn the elements.


Yes there is. When Aang tried to master firebending first, Jong Jong told him that he had to learn water bending then earth bending before he could master firebending in order to get the disipline needed. There is a cycle of the elements remember? Water - Earth - Fire - Air. It's the order Roku and the avatars before him learned it. I'm re watching the series so I remember these things. While I guess you could theoretically learn them out of order, its probably not a good idea as Aang proved. The cycle might not be mandatory but it is the "correct" pattern.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

He said that because of Aang's personality. Rival just explained it in his post. There is no correct pattern. Each Avatar is different.

Also, Korra is a waterbender. And it looks like fire was the second element she learned. Your "pattern" seems to have been broken, seeing as earth would have to be the next one for her to learn. And from the trailer, she has firebending completely mastered, and it seems to be her go to element as she's almost always using it.
Image
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 am
Location: My throne.
Gender: Female

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:He said that because of Aang's personality. Rival just explained it in his post. There is no correct pattern. Each Avatar is different.

Also, Korra is a waterbender. And it looks like fire was the second element she learned. Your "pattern" seems to have been broken, seeing as earth would have to be the next one for her to learn. And from the trailer, she has firebending completely mastered, and it seems to be her go to element as she's almost always using it.


I didn't say it was impossible to learn the elements out of order. I just said that there WAS and order to learn them in.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:26 pm

For Aang, yeah. It was never said that Rokku needed to learn it the way he did. He just went out and mastered them.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/218/7/e/korra_by_alicexz-d45od36.jpg
Unf.
Image
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 am
Location: My throne.
Gender: Female

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:For Aang, yeah. It was never said that Rokku needed to learn it the way he did. He just went out and mastered them.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/218/7/e/korra_by_alicexz-d45od36.jpg
Unf.


Cool pic
But the avatar cycle isn't just a nice little kowinky dink. Water - Earth - Fire - Air. If it wasn't important they wouldn't have emphasized it so much. Aang AND Roku were shown in the series to master the elements in that order. The cycle EXISTS that is all I'm saying. I guess Korra is just a trail blazer.

P.S
You know a show is good when there are shipping wars BEFORE IT COMES OUT.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Warning, this is going to be LOOONG.

Korra's mastery of firebending (as far from water as you can get) may in an odd way, make her learning of the other bendings easier. I have often thought the four bendings are not so different and unconnected from each other as they first appear, and an understanding of that is the trick to true mastery, not just for the Avatar, but for any bender. Iroh already showed us the fairly impressive tricks a bender can come up with when he learns the underlying concepts and methods of other bending methods (his ligtning diversion method). I think the connection is even deeper, that is that, even if they don't know it, some forms of bending for each discipline require the user to use methods that, if taken objectively would probably be more like a different bending discipline. for examply let us take when a waterbender makes ice. To be able to freeze the water, I suspect the method is a bit like firebending in reverse (you take the "fire" i.e. the heat out of the water, thus freezing it) and once the water is solid ice, manipulating it probably feels more like earthbending. and Earthbender might feel that bending mud or quicksand felt more like waterbending. Or how about when a firebender manipulates lava? that's fire but I imagine bending it feels more like waterbending, since lava is a liquid. The best way I can describe this is a sort of four dimensional ying-yang symbol, each are interconnected, and each hold within themselves the kernels of all the others. maybe that's Korra's real secret, she already understands this
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:59 am
Location: The Kingdom of the Tall Trees
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:Warning, this is going to be LOOONG.

Korra's mastery of firebending (as far from water as you can get) may in an odd way, make her learning of the other bendings easier. I have often thought the four bendings are not so different and unconnected from each other as they first appear, and an understanding of that is the trick to true mastery, not just for the Avatar, but for any bender. Iroh already showed us the fairly impressive tricks a bender can come up with when he learns the underlying concepts and methods of other bending methods (his ligtning diversion method). I think the connection is even deeper, that is that, even if they don't know it, some forms of bending for each discipline require the user to use methods that, if taken objectively would probably be more like a different bending discipline. for examply let us take when a waterbender makes ice. To be able to freeze the water, I suspect the method is a bit like firebending in reverse (you take the "fire" i.e. the heat out of the water, thus freezing it) and once the water is solid ice, manipulating it probably feels more like earthbending. and Earthbender might feel that bending mud or quicksand felt more like waterbending. Or how about when a firebender manipulates lava? that's fire but I imagine bending it feels more like waterbending, since lava is a liquid. The best way I can describe this is a sort of four dimensional ying-yang symbol, each are interconnected, and each hold within themselves the kernels of all the others. maybe that's Korra's real secret, she already understands this


I think you said it best.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Perrito Caliente wrote:P.S
You know a show is good when there are shipping wars BEFORE IT COMES OUT.

Or that the fanbase is crazy. Because apparently the love triangle isn't going to be Mako and Bolin.
Image
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 am
Location: My throne.
Gender: Female

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:Or that the fanbase is crazy. Because apparently the love triangle isn't going to be Mako and Bolin.


That would be to obvious. In TLA you knew Aang would end up with Katara from the first 10 minutes of the show. I hope they don't do that again in this series.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Rival » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:36 am

Stufflikehearts wrote:
Perrito Caliente wrote:P.S
You know a show is good when there are shipping wars BEFORE IT COMES OUT.

Or that the fanbase is crazy. Because apparently the love triangle isn't going to be Mako and Bolin.

Absolutely agree with Stuff. With all respect for the show, it has one of the craziest fanbases of a mainstream show on the Internet.

Shippers are almost always a bad thing.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 am

Rival wrote:Absolutely agree with Stuff. With all respect for the show, it has one of the craziest fanbases of a mainstream show on the Internet.

Shippers are almost always a bad thing.


But you have to admit. This show makes it too easy for them.

If you want to see a show with borderline insane shippers, watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn. BasilXZakuro... really?
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Rival » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:45 am

Being an insane shipper doesn't have to mean you support a so called crack pairing. It more often means you support a reasonable and often possible pairing, but are obsessing over whether two fictional characters in an animated series for teenagers, hook up.

Kataang people support a reasonable and now canonical couple, but half of them are just as insane as the Zutara people.

Besides, it's an action-adventure fantasy series, not a romance novel. Who ends up with whom, shouldn't be the main reason people watch it.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Point taken. I always felt weird looking at entire websites dedicated to just a pairing. It isn't that big a deal.

Now to talk about that terrible terrible movie
Image
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Rival » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Eh I think Avatar fans should just let it go. Yeah it was a really, really horrible adaptation and a horrid film. But it's been roughly a year now.

A lot of franchises get that treatment from Hollywood. I'm a fan of Alan Moore and Dragon Ball so I know what I'm talking about.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that the Last Airbender, is not the worst adaptation ever, as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie takes that spot, in my book.

Shamalayan didn't kill the franchise since Korra is still being produced. So maybe in a decade or so another shot at a theatrical fim can be taken.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Rival wrote:I'm a fan of Alan Moore and Dragon Ball so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm so sorry...
Rival wrote:In fact, I will go so far as to say that the Last Airbender, is not the worst adaptation ever, as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie takes that spot, in my book.

Perhaps its because I never read the comics or watched the whole movie all the way through, but why does everyone hate that film?

As a side note. Did you know Shamylan actually planned on releasing 2 sequels based on the other two seasons of the show. Even if the movie didn't turn out to be bad, don't you think that's a little ambitious of him. Hell, the fact that he dared made the first movie was pretty ballsy.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I tend to look at The Last Airbender as an adaption of the Ember Island Players. And a really great drinking game.
Image
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 am
Location: My throne.
Gender: Female

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:54 pm

good one :grin:

speaking of bad adaptations, what's with all the reboots all of a sudden? I think the worst one was probably the Smurfs movie. And I hated the show to begin with.

Delete the post if its too of topic
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Rival » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:47 am

Perrito Caliente wrote:
Rival wrote:In fact, I will go so far as to say that the Last Airbender, is not the worst adaptation ever, as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie takes that spot, in my book.

Perhaps its because I never read the comics or watched the whole movie all the way through, but why does everyone hate that film?

Well, it is due to you not reading the comic. This is the Korra thread so I won't go into too much detail. But basically let us say they took Moby Dick and made King of Queens out of it.

The League comics, are an extremely ambitious attempt at esotheric fun with all the various settings in literature, and they made a pop-corn flick out of it, a cheesy pop-corn flick. Plus, Mina's character got wrecked to all hell, it's basically a caricature of Moore's version and if you hated how they white-washed the Last Airbender, then Tom Sawyer's inclusion is pretty much the same deal, he completely doesn't fit the League, but got included in a failed attempt to get Americans to "care".

Perrito Caliente wrote:As a side note. Did you know Shamylan actually planned on releasing 2 sequels based on the other two seasons of the show. Even if the movie didn't turn out to be bad, don't you think that's a little ambitious of him. Hell, the fact that he dared made the first movie was pretty ballsy.

Eh, I don't think it's ambitious or ballsy of him at all. Most cash-cow franchises are intended to be trilogies from the start these days, just to milk them some more. And in this case, the original series was a trilogy(in seasonal format, but still) so it's only logical for a movie adaptation to try to be a trilogy, too. I mean basically you're saying "Shyamalan wanted to make even more money on something that's theoreticlly easy to adapt, ain't he brave?".

They had a really strong IP(at least in the USA and West Europe) and the 3D craze was booming, so Shyamalan just thought he can't fail with that. And well, in a way, he was right. The film was absolutely horrible, yet avarage cinema goers gave it a "C" and it did manage, barely, to make a profit. Luckily Paramount expected a lot more profit out of it, and the Blu-ray and DVDs sales I'm sure are weak, so that was enough to kill it.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Perrito.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks!!! I didn't think anyone would care.

Anyways, your right about the cash cow bit. But still, live action or not, I expected the movie to be at the very least decent. It shouldn't have been that hard. But its as if shamylan did every thing in his power to piss of fans of the original series. Its funny how he says he's a fan of the series. If that's the case, then this was just a really expensive fanfic. Why did he change the pronunciations? I don't care if that's how they really should sound. It's still stupid.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:14 pm

He changed some of the names to sound more asian. Which doesn't make sense, since the cast was white washed anyway.
Image
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 am
Location: My throne.
Gender: Female

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Rival » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:He changed some of the names to sound more asian. Which doesn't make sense, since the cast was white washed anyway.

He didn't really change them, some were just transliterated differently to be pronounced the way the actual Asian names would get pronounced in Asia.

The way Aang was pronounced in tLA is how it was already being pronounced for the dubs of the series all around the world.

Supposedly DiMartino and Konietzko intended Aang to be pronounced that way in the original series too, but voice actors had trouble sticking with it, so they went with the americanized pronouncation.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:He changed some of the names to sound more asian. Which doesn't make sense, since the cast was white washed anyway.


To be honest. I don't really care about a white washed cast. Nobody really cared that the voice actors where white. So why should we care about the regular actors?
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Princess » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Um, because of the cultures? Seriously, they had actual Inuit background actors, but then Sokka, Katara, and Gran-Gran were white.
Image
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 am
Location: My throne.
Gender: Female

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Rival » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:Um, because of the cultures? Seriously, they had actual Inuit background actors, but then Sokka, Katara, and Gran-Gran were white.

Yeah it was prety hilarious "Inuit master race reporting in".
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

Postby Perrito Caliente » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Meh...
I don't really care. Whatever though. What are the odds they'll make a live action movie of Korra.
"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

"Isn't it funny how my avatar finally kind of represents my name?"

http://sot.ag/Mzk1MTIy
Click the link and help me win a soundtrack.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Ember Island
Gender: None specified

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ari-6, FatexXHearts and 5 guests