Let's plays, walkthroughs, and streams becoming illegal.

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Let's plays, walkthroughs, and streams becoming illegal.

Postby Icha » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 pm

One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Sentios » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:09 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/money

Whelp.

>Top Supporter
$2 million

>Top Opposer
$2 thousand

I know this happens constantly but seeing the numbers is depressing...
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:33 pm

i don't see video games in the contents.

But still, I am not afraid to say that America...fucking sucks now.

EDIT: If this involves the whole entertainment industry, then this also means I can't FUCKING WATCH ANIME ONLINE, even if uploaded by the official companies.
Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is
not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end
can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child.
Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.
This too shall pass.

Postby DaCrum » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Rosso:

DaCrum wrote:Yeah, but they won't be the focus. It's a very, very general law. If the 'victim' doesn't press charges, the government probably won't be able to. It applies to any and all copyrighted material. Like I said, it just is making copyright laws stupid tough.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby BobSagat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:48 am

Rosso Rose wrote:I'M A GIANT FUCKING IDIOT.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby DaCrum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:55 am

Thank you Bob.
Escape will make me God.

Postby BobSagat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:58 am

Anytime, pal, anytime.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:51 am

DaCrum wrote:Rosso:

DaCrum wrote:Yeah, but they won't be the focus. It's a very, very general law. If the 'victim' doesn't press charges, the government probably won't be able to. It applies to any and all copyrighted material. Like I said, it just is making copyright laws stupid tough.

Dammit. I'm gonna miss rubberfruit's videos.

...You guys do still remember I'm 16? This is bullshit, I'm the only teen on here.
Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is
not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end
can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child.
Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.
This too shall pass.

Postby Dorian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:57 am

Some random nobody doing a Let's Play on Youtube has nothing to worry about from this, because they will not be making any money. I believe they have to make more than 2500 dollars every 6 months in order to even be charged. That won't be Joebob who plays Dead Space 2 for Youtube.

Additionally most developers/publishers don't give a shit about Let's Plays. If anything they see it as a form of advertisement, since watching the game rarely replicates the act of playing it.

People who do streams and make lots of money off it, like some popular Starcraft 2 casters, may have to worry. The most unfortunate part would be that it might prevent things like Mario Marathon from happening, which even though they raise money, they do it for charity.
Never asked for this

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:12 am

That counts RoosterTeeth too?
This too shall pass.

Postby Dorian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 am

If you're talking about Red vs. Blue specifically, they don't have to worry because Microsoft is totally aware of what they do and are cool with it, as evidenced by the Red vs Blue references in Halo 3, and the inclusion of Griffball as a game mode. They would not suddenly turn around and charge them with a crime just because this law was passed. The game companies are going to have to be the ones to press charges. The government isn't going to just start throwing people in jail.
Never asked for this

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:31 pm

If that is so, then I think it's pointless that we worried about video games in the first place. If those videos were taken off YouTube by law, that would mean jeopardizing all game communities given the fact that its the companies that are given the authority and not the government based on what you said. Not only that, I overlooked opencongress and I see that this mainly involves movies.

I'm saying that Let's plays, walkthroughs, and streams will NEVER be taken off by gaming companies. We do know also that movies is a subject of interest, and I think that is one the main problems that companies are facing alongside music, heck even sports. I didn't think the UFC would be worried also.
This too shall pass.

Postby DaCrum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Nah, Dorian. Anything what can be considered copyright infringement would have these new punishments implemented. Ya know how they take off YT videos because of copyright violation? That counts too. It doesn't matter how much money they lose, it's still an infringement. There is an addition to the bill that says if one single infringement causes a certain amount of money loss or damage, then it would count as a full 10 count.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Dorian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 pm

When Youtube takes down videos for copyright violation, it's because someone asked them to or reported the video. They don't just deem what is a copyright violation themselves, even if it's obvious.

And I already made a comment about the money thing. I'm not going to repeat myself.
Never asked for this

Postby Sentios » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:16 am

Dorian wrote:When Youtube takes down videos for copyright violation, it's because someone asked them to or reported the video. They don't just deem what is a copyright violation themselves, even if it's obvious.

And I already made a comment about the money thing. I'm not going to repeat myself.

Actually they are implementing (or have already) automated systems which comb through new and existing submission and compare the content with a database to automatically remove infringing material. The only weakness in the system is that the copyright holder has to give a copy of their content to Youtube for use in the database and the company has to tell Youtube what to do when it finds a violation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX-YihV_ew

Postby DaCrum » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 am

Dorian missed the point. :/
Escape will make me God.

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:05 am

Sentios wrote:
Dorian wrote:When Youtube takes down videos for copyright violation, it's because someone asked them to or reported the video. They don't just deem what is a copyright violation themselves, even if it's obvious.

Actually they are implementing (or have already) automated systems which comb through new and existing submission and compare the content with a database to automatically remove infringing material. So like I said, Youtube itself isn't making the decision which content to remove. Someone else is just telling them to remove it preemptively. The only weakness in the system is that the copyright holder has to give a copy of their content to Youtube for use in the database and the company has to tell Youtube what to do when it finds a violation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX-YihV_ew

It already exists and has for some time. That's not really any different from what I was talking about, though. The companies still have to tell Youtube they don't want [insert music or video here] on Youtube without permission. The system also is pretty flawed, because it often erroneously attributes infringement to videos that don't even contain the content it's claiming it's infringing on. You can contest it with Youtube but it's a hassle.

DaCrum wrote:Dorian missed the point. :/

You didn't make a point. Or you failed to do so in a way that made any sense.
Never asked for this

Postby Sentios » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 am

Dorian wrote:It already exists and has for some time. That's not really any different from what I was talking about, though. The companies still have to tell Youtube they don't want [insert music or video here] on Youtube without permission. The system also is pretty flawed, because it often erroneously attributes infringement to videos that don't even contain the content it's claiming it's infringing on. You can contest it with Youtube but it's a hassle.

I don't see the 'notifying youtube' part as being very hard on their part, seems like something that could easily be taken care of by the advertising department while they're sending out footage.

Postby Dorian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:07 am

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I'm sure it's someone's entire job at [insert company here] to make sure their copyrighted content isn't uploaded to Youtube or whatever.

The matter at hand is fairly simple: Streaming copyrighted content without permission is already "wrong". I mean, I was under the impression that it was already illegal, making the thread title kind of redundant. The law here only serves to make the potential consequences for said uploading more severe.

Let's Plays are in the least amount of danger. It's not like Youtube is an obscure site. It's easy to type in "Let's Play Dead Space 2" and find a bunch going on. They're not already being taken down because game companies don't care. They probably like it. I wouldn't be shocked if games even amend their Terms of Service to specifically allow people to upload their videos of games.

That said, the worst a Let's Player has to worry about is a Cease and Desist order. Something they could already get.

If they are trying to make money off of their videos, that is different, but I don't see many LPers making the over 5000 dollars a year requirement to get charged with a felony. Some 'professional' game streamers for Starcraft leagues or whatever who try to make such a thing their job may have to worry. I still wouldn't bet on them being sent to jail over it.

People who upload TV shows to Youtube will likely find the same consequence as ever: The video being removed. If they're trying to stream the show and make money off it somehow, then they're more likely to get in trouble.
Never asked for this

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion