PS Vita vs 3DS

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

PS Vita vs 3DS

Postby SlyBeGone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:53 am

3DS
VS
PS Vita

So my last PSP was a Go. After using it I questioned my reasoning for buying it. It was pathetic and useless, more of a downgrade really. It felt like Sony's final cry for help for a sinking ship. I bought a Dsi and its media sucked ass compared to the PSP, good games, but had to go through hell to listen to my music at an extremely low volume. So handheld died for me for a while.

So 3DS didn't get much of a reaction from me except my lowered opinion of Nintendo for using a gimmick to sell its product. The Vita though seems like a good improvement, as if Sony actually thought this one through. Its got great graphics, great media, two analog sticks, a touch screen, a back touch pad (what?), and a camera for a moderate price. I might actually get this one, depending on the games it gets. Thoughts?...

Re: PS Vita vs 3DS

Postby Marquis de Soth » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 am

viewforum.php?f=13

This is more appropriate there.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Ganon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:22 am

Normally I try to avoid console war stuff nowadays since they just turn into pissing contests with no sign of stopping, but I had to address a few points on this one:

1) You bought a Nintendo system for its media capabilities? Pfhhhhhhhahahahaha. Good God why? That'd be like buying a Prius so you can haul your RV- sure you could do it, but you can clearly tell the car was not made for that purpose. Nintendo is, was, and always will be completely unable to comprehend how certain things in the modern gaming market work, and bless their hearts for trying, but really, if you bought the DSi for media capabilities, you're doing it wrong.

2) Two analog sticks is not a selling point for a handheld system. The only games where having two analog sticks is a major upgrade from using only one are shooters, and there are two problems with that:
a) Logically speaking, touch control would work better than dual-analog, better than a mouse if you didn't even need to drag to actually aim. Both systems have touch controls, point is moot
b) Shooters on a handheld cannot be taken seriously no matter how good the graphics are, because the screen is too small.
You can make the argument that fighters work better with dual-analog too, and I will grant that point.

3) The 3DS's 3D "gimmick" lowers your opinion of Nintendo, but not the PSVita's rear touch-pad? Really? 3D without glasses lowers your opinion - mind you, this is the first time this has ever been made so easily available - but not a touch-pad on the back of your system, where most people tend to rest their hands and may accidentally touch? Really? I'd reappraise your opinions there man, just saying.

4) Which system has games you enjoy more? Assuming you're getting the system for games in the first place, that's your answer for "better system" regardless of any and all other factors. Personally, the 3DS gets my vote for now because I enjoy the one game out that I actually wanted (Ocarina of Time, natch), and am looking forward to many more that are down the pipe - Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, and Smash Bros. to name a few. I have heard no news of any PSVita games that I am looking forward to, so it does not get my vote - when they announce a new Dissidia Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts game further on, I'll be game to get the PSVita too, but it will not trump the 3DS, only put it on even footing.

5) PSVita has one major problem with it that I cannot overlook - if you want the 3G version, the plan uses AT&T. Pass. Yes I know I can get a cheaper WiFi version; I'd like the 3G support but I refuse to play any part in a plan involving AT&T. Bonehead move on Sony's part.
CRISIS: Equestria (Chapters 1-33)
Current Work-in-Progress: CRISIS: Equestria - Chapter 34/35 - Status - 34: 99% done; 35 - 33% Done
Revision Progress: Chapter 16 - NOT YET STARTED
Author

Postby zepherin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:18 am

Buying a PSP go if you have a working psp is silly. Also buying a DS lite when you have a working DS is also silly. Now the 3ds and vita are different they have different games and are completely new systems instead of revamps.

The 3DS looks interesting, and I think the second or third iteration of it will be the one that I purchase because it will have the various bugs fixed. The Vita I think is a better machine with a better lineup, but same thing. 2 or 3 iterations will be the best way to go. Handhelds are much better purchases a year or two later when they have a newer model and lower price.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby SlyBeGone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:21 am

@Lord Soth: Good point.

@Ganon: I didn't really buy the DSi for media, more just to see what the other side of the hand held looked like, since my last Nintendo handheld before that was a Gameboy Color. Plus it was much cheaper than the PSP so it was worth the risk in my eyes.

Yes I was looking forward to playing some nice shooters with the dual analog. I tried touch shooters before and didn't like it, one of the reasons I wasn't attracted to the DS touch feature at first. So its a plus for me. And I'm sure the large amount of Sony naggers will be happy to see that their voice has been heard. Fighters would also work much better, good point.

The 3D without glasses is great tech, but it seems more as if Nintendo jumped on the bandwagon and one up'd everybody on it. The back touch pad may be a gimmick, but Sony's not making it the main point of the handheld's release. I'm sure that the games will accommodate it so it won't disrupt regular gameplay. Plus the 3D feature is only for visual pleasure, whereas that back touchpad might have some gameplay value.

As for a better system I don't necessarily just look at games, more of a balance between games and tech and how they work together. Ocarina of time is interesting, and I didn't hear about a Smash Bros release. But even thought a few good games doesn't make up for a boring handheld. Uncharted, God of War, and possibly Patapon or Loco Roco tittles will keep me busy with a handheld that without any games can still be interesting.

Bless whoever has AT&T, unfortunately its not me, so I'm just looking forward to the Wi Fi.

Postby Dark_Buster_XYZ » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 am

Actually one of the features of the 3DS i like the most, is the AR applications, not only with AR codes but with the whole picture

Postby Ganon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:11 am

Also, forgot to mention, the 3DS has a 3D camera, which is pretty cool overall. I have a camera to take super-high-quality pictures with, so having a camera on my PSVita seems like a waste, but I don't have a 3D camera so the 3DS's has an added novelty.
CRISIS: Equestria (Chapters 1-33)
Current Work-in-Progress: CRISIS: Equestria - Chapter 34/35 - Status - 34: 99% done; 35 - 33% Done
Revision Progress: Chapter 16 - NOT YET STARTED
Author

Postby Jay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:26 am

PSVita has Dragon's Crown. Dragon's Crown is inter-console-able between the PS3 and PSP in internet games of it. It has a transfarring style game save transfer/character transfer system so you can play Dragon's Crown whenever you fucking want, in the best setting you can possibly afford or have at the particular thread.

Just saying.

Basically there is exactly one game that matters on the Vita, and exactly none on 3DS. At least, not until Love Plus 3D and Etrian Odyssey 3D come out :d
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Dorian » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Every system sucks for the first year because the better games don't get developed until developers are more familiar with the capabilities of the console. In my opinion, buying any system at launch is stupid, because you can wait a year and by then you'll have more choices in games and the thing will likely be a bit cheaper as well.

The 3DS had a horrible launch with mostly crappy games. Its best game right now is a port of another game that's 12 years old. That's not to say it'll be useless forever. The Vita will likely have a similar issue.

Remember when the PS3 launched? How everyone was saying it would be the end of Sony? Even back then I said "They'll get past this, and eventually the PS3 will have its share of good games just like anything else." People scoffed at me. Man I wish I could find the posts, because I'd be happy to say "I told you so".
Never asked for this

Postby Jay » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:52 am

Yeah, pretty much. My favourite system right now is the PS3, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wait 2 years to buy one.

Postby Dorian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 am

Yeah I didn't pick up a PS3 or 360 until last year. There are still a lot of things I need to finish. I've only played about an hour of Uncharted 2.
Never asked for this

Postby Mathias » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:23 am

I have a PS3 and I hardly use it at all. But I hardly play any games these days. However, most current games don't interest me, anyway.

Postby Janana » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:06 pm

If I had to choose I would pick 3DS because I love Nintendo and they always have great titles for this system. Only problem is that I don't want to spend so much money on the 3DS when I already have a regular DS and I don't think the 3D feature is good my eyes since I wear glasses.

Postby Jay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:06 am

>Janana

Whooooooa.

I vaguely sorta kinda remember that name from bajillion million years ago.

Nostalgia.

Postby Icha » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Well, I happened to get one as a gift and I bought one, so I didn't have to choose which one I liked more. Damn, this is gonna be hard...

Say what you like about the PSP, I got to play pretty much any PS1 game, (Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden, FFT), Valkyria Chronicles II (Ok, that was meh, but still), Monster hunter, joan of arc, the Metal Gear games that were on there, er...you get the point, right?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Coos » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Dorian wrote:Yeah I didn't pick up a PS3 or 360 until last year. There are still a lot of things I need to finish. I've only played about an hour of Uncharted 2.

You really need to finish that up.
Really really.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 am

3DS price drop already and free games for me.

Dunno what to think. I don't particularly want any of those games (though I may well take another plow through Metroid Fusion), but I can't say I'm particularly angry. Had I known this before I bought my 3DS, I might still not have waited.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Fummoffu » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:56 pm

PS Vita looks like it has a poor game selection.
"Haha"
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby zepherin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:03 pm

hand helds tend to have a shite game selection at first, but it is a shit load cheaper to make a handheld game, especially rpgs and tactical games than it is to make next gen console games. My only beef with the PS Vita is that it does not have a video out feature.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Jay » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:42 am

All consoles have shitty game selection for the first year.

Plus, it has Dragon's Crown, so it's better than every system launch ever. btw.

Postby zepherin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 am

Jay wrote:All consoles have shitty game selection for the first year.

Plus, it has Dragon's Crown, so it's better than every system launch ever. btw.

It's also released on the PS3 so that's not quite a release exclusive. Not that I'm not going to buy that game. Vanillaware has continually made fantastic games. I have yet to play a game by them that I didn't like so they have a lot of good will built up with me. I'll play it on the PS3 cause I won't get the vita till it has more titles and probably a price break. I like price breaks.

Although in terms of good release sets the Xbox 1 and PS2 had a pretty good release day selection.

Postby Jay » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:19 am

PS2? I remember like, that firework game and some lame samurai themed game no one cares about anymore, and useless sports related games.

Xbox I don't even remember it's entire game library.

Postby zepherin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 am

Jay wrote:PS2? I remember like, that firework game and some lame samurai themed game no one cares about anymore, and useless sports related games.

Xbox I don't even remember it's entire game library.

For the PS2: Armored Core 2 and Dynasty Warriors 2, plus a bunch of games I didn't play.
For Xbox Halo, Dead or Alive 3 and an oddworld game which was so so. Also some games I didn't play because I could give 2 fucks about sports and the other shit.

Too be fair though even though all of those were release games and I played the shit out of them, I didn't get either console on release day. The PS2 I got 3 years after it had come out. The xbox I got about a year afterwards.

Postby Coos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:46 pm

The Bouncer anyone?
I thought PS2 had a memorable beginning compared to everything else I've seen.

Postby Jay » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:56 pm

I guess I just don't remember it. That gen, I got the Sega Dreamcast on launch.

Sonic Adventures was a pretty hardcore launch title.

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming