Wii U

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Wii U

Postby spazmonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction
Nintendo announced it's next generation console at E3 today, the Wii U. The new controller is actually going to be a tablet. It has a touchscreen, which you can actually play games on instead of a television. I think it's a great tool for rts games and tactical shooters, but I'm worried that the controllers will be really, really expensive. You can still use the nunchucks but I really really don't like them. Graphics look pretty good, but not much different than the PS3 or 360. It's still a year away, but I'm kind of excited to see if they can win back some of the "hard core" gamers.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Re: Wii U

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:33 pm

If they can keep up 3rd party support, I think this will be a good move to gaining back the "core" market. I'm really wondering what the price will be,. The only downside could be that if Sony and/or MS announce a console next year it could act as a spoiler and cause people to wait and see on buying this.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Afternoon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 pm

The launch line up actually includes a lot of multiplatform games, such as Arkham City and SOCOM.
I don't think they'll have trouble holding onto hardcore gamers, but they probably won't have the insane casual support they had with the Wii.

Postby Jingle Males » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Male wrote:Wii U? Really? It sounds like the siren noise patrick made on the "Hall Monitor" episode.
LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY
fool my bullets are made of suns

Postby Valhallen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Postby Sentios » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:29 pm

That image is really about all I can say, they've taken the unimpressive controller a step farther by making it weigh 10 pounds.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby spazmonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:24 pm

I was a little bit apprehensive when I first saw the controller, but as long as the controller feels good enough to play games without gimmicks I think it will be awesome.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby WiNg0o » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:01 pm

I Killed the Boss

Postby Remni » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 am

So? That's not surprising, given the fact that the system is still in early stages. Look at the actual tech demo for the HD Zelda game.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby WiNg0o » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:20 am

Remni wrote:

So? That's not surprising, given the fact that the system is still in early stages. Look at the actual tech demo for the HD Zelda game.

As far as a tech demo on the Wii U it looks like something that could run already on a 360/PS3. What we're looking at here is Nintendo finally making an hd console years after everyone else has.

Also Nintendo is testing to see if they still have the hardcore market still http://kotaku.com/5809738/nintendo-developers-warned-of-a-future-with-no-more-zelda-star-fox-games Apparently Legend of Zelda is on watch to see if it is still profitable. I'm also going to skull fuck someone if they delay skyward sword so the Wii U has an actual launch title.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Remni » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:38 am

No, they're already pretty much fully stated Skyward Sword is pretty much Wii's swan song game. Also I take a lot of the shit on kotaku with a grain of salt.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Grey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 am

I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:23 am

Brilliant.

I don't get what's up with the name. Is it a pun, pronounced "view" or "we you" or something?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby narutodesu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:18 am

Valhallen wrote:Image

Hm yes my thoughts exactly.

Postby Rival » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 am

Vegedus wrote:I don't get what's up with the name. Is it a pun, pronounced "view" or "we you" or something?

I think it's the latter.

Not a huge fan of tablets so I'm not digging this.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Kris » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, it's like "We You" they said.

I'm kind of confused a bit by it, but then I was also confused when the introduced the Wii. It didn't help that in the conference, they kept emphasizing it as a controller, and never flat out said it was a new console. So I think a lot of people thought it was just a fancy new controller for the Wii. There actually is a console component, though.

I can definitely see the potential for it. I can also imagine how much fucking money that damn thing will cost. An HD touch pad with a camera, motion sensor, etc, won't be cheap.
Will it be something I'll want to play? Well, considering I haven't played my Wii in many months now, and I never beat Twilight Princess because I got tired of having to swing the controller around to do ANYTHING, I don't see myself getting into the Wii U.
Kris: that's Han Solo
Nix: That guys always smoking foo's
Nix: He be all "Nigga Vada please!"

Darkstar Studios
----------------------------------------------
Wildcard: Kris is the most beautiful man alive
Kris: aww, thanks Wayne

Postby zepherin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Yeah, but it doesn''t look like there is a huge hardware boost to the Wii U, it seams to just support HD, and have enough oomph to get it done. I'm not really impressed with Nintendos Wii offerings, their 3ds game offerings are decent, but wii offerings are week. Xbox seams to have the strongest E3 flagship products.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Whatis6times9 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:53 pm

This year was almost a reversal of trends from this generation. Nintendo was hyping third party support, MS was flexing it's own development muscle and Sony was still trying to keep the balance of 3rd party games but also showing their diverse portfolio of IPs and developers.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Xerxes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:58 pm

The 3rd party support is good, but basically they just added more juice to the console & changed the controller from a stick to an alredy popular classic controller, with the only exeption of it having the touchscreen. Although when the world is already going crazy for the touchscreen devices, what else was there to expect? Whats next? A toilet flushing button on touchscreen?
Sanity is like a parachute, just because I lost mine, doesn't mean I can borrow yours...

Postby Kris » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Xerxes wrote:The 3rd party support is good, but basically they just added more juice to the console & changed the controller from a stick to an alredy popular classic controller, with the only exeption of it having the touchscreen. Although when the world is already going crazy for the touchscreen devices, what else was there to expect? Whats next? A toilet flushing button on touchscreen?

Don't really need that since they make toilets that flush themselves. :)

Hubby was thrilled to hear about the remastering of Halo and the new Halo 4 coming out. He was also pretty engrossed by the Skyrim footage I showed him (he's super stoked).

I had an orgasm watching the Assassin's Creed Revelations trailer and gameplay footage, so that got all my attention.
Oh, and Mass Effect 3 finally convinced me the Kinect has some value, but still not enough to get me to buy one. Needs a Harry Potter game where I can call out the spells, play quidditch, etc. I'd buy one for that.
Kris: that's Han Solo
Nix: That guys always smoking foo's
Nix: He be all "Nigga Vada please!"

Darkstar Studios
----------------------------------------------
Wildcard: Kris is the most beautiful man alive
Kris: aww, thanks Wayne

Postby Grey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:25 pm

oh my god skyrim
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Mattydread » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 pm

So when do we hear news of a new Smash Bros.?
Because that's the only game I seriously played on Wii more than a handful of times. Wii Sports had its fun until I learned how limited Tennis was. I bought Boom Blox but stopped playing when I got to the levels where you have to drag blocks out of the puzzles using the Wiimote.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:11 pm

There WAS talk of a new Smash Bros. I didn't bother to check it out, but there's definitely been news.

I'm a bit curious as how to how the controller's screen works, hardware wise. It seems unlikely it actually does any calculation on it's own, as that would really spike the price. It would actually have to be a tablet, hardware included. It seems most likely it does nothing but show pre-processed images sent from the console (and send inputs the other way), sorta like onLive. If the console has to be able to process for 4 controllers at a time, and the main screen, it makes kinda sense that 4 years later, the new Wii is "only" HD.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Remni » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:13 pm

There was talk of Smash Bros and that it would be going to both 3DS and Wii U, being made by Team Sora.

As for the controller, it is a tablet that uses the same bluetooth setup that current Wiimotes use. And like you said, it's pretty much like cloud-service, where the data streams both ways between the console and controller, but it does it without any sort of latency. The controller itself will be tied to the system and they even said it's not meant to be a "portable" game system like the DS. It's just simply for streaming extra content to the tablet's screen and using it for various things. I dont think it's going to be too expensive, since they have to be tied to the console. I think the console itself will price right at $299.. or might overstep it to $349, but knowing the way Nintendo works, they'll try to do what they can to make it affordable. I imagine the controllers themselves will probably only be about $60, like current gen controllers.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Afternoon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Don't get too excited about Smash Bros. They haven't even put a team together to start working on either title.

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion