Judgement Day

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Judgement Day

Postby BobSagat » Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm

... is tomorrow.

So what are you going to do today?
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Re: Judgement Day

Postby Mathias » Fri May 20, 2011 12:52 pm

I mean, look – Mat 21st. 2+1 = 3. There are 3 parts of the holy trinity. BAM! There are also 3 letters in May. BAM! May 21st is the birthday of Notorious B.I.G. What does B.I.G. stand for? Believe in God. BAM! The month of May. Add an “o” you get Mayo. Mayonnaise has a lot of calories. CALories, like in CALifornia. Who was just the governor of California? Arnold Schwarzenegger – who starred in Terminator 2 – JUDGMENT DAY! Told ya.

Ridiculous.

Postby Rival » Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I'll write a paper about the Red Cross... if I can stop postponing it cause I'm lazy.

And the geezer got the date wrong, today is the end of the world since Randy Savage died.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Valhallen » Fri May 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Rapture, not judgement day. There's usually supposed to be a thousand years or so between them, though I don't recall if those dudes are premillennialists (it usually goes with beliefs of a rapture, but is not really required).

Postby Vegedus » Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Huh, I guess I shouldn't be reading up for my exam after all. Thanks!
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby dragoonofdeath » Fri May 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Mathias wrote:
I mean, look – Mat 21st. 2+1 = 3. There are 3 parts of the holy trinity. BAM! There are also 3 letters in May. BAM! May 21st is the birthday of Notorious B.I.G. What does B.I.G. stand for? Believe in God. BAM! The month of May. Add an “o” you get Mayo. Mayonnaise has a lot of calories. CALories, like in CALifornia. Who was just the governor of California? Arnold Schwarzenegger – who starred in Terminator 2 – JUDGMENT DAY! Told ya.

Ridiculous.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

CAN'T BREATHE.
PONIES, PONIES EVERYWHERE
Blood Lord wrote:
dragoonofdeath wrote:Am I the only one here thats not a grammar nazi?

Only when you log on.

Postby Vegedus » Fri May 20, 2011 1:16 pm

I think that's the reporter spoofing him, not actually the arguments of the religious nut. Reminds me of that episode of South Park where a Earth turns out to be a galaxy wide reality and a scientist figures it out via similar logic chains.

Postby Kris » Fri May 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Valhallen wrote:Rapture, not judgement day. There's usually supposed to be a thousand years or so between them, though I don't recall if those dudes are premillennialists (it usually goes with beliefs of a rapture, but is not really required).

I don't think they are. I believe the guy said Saturday is rapture day, but the world will officially implode in October. So those of us not whisked away will have a few months to raid and pillage.
Kris: that's Han Solo
Nix: That guys always smoking foo's
Nix: He be all "Nigga Vada please!"

Darkstar Studios
----------------------------------------------
Wildcard: Kris is the most beautiful man alive
Kris: aww, thanks Wayne

Postby Valhallen » Fri May 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Yes, that's what the article says about their beliefs, but it doesn't really go into the detail to distinguish them from "normal" premillennial dispensationalists. The idea is that after the Rapture, there's a brief calm period, followed by seven years of "tribulation" (the dogs and cats living together, all the worst parts of the Bible bit). After that, Jesus is supposed to return for another round of judgement and rule over a thousand years of peace on Earth. Then, Satan is supposed to be set free for an ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny, and only after that are things supposed to be set in order for eternity (a final judgement). So a rapture followed in a few months by "the end of the world as we know it" doesn't really distinguish this group.

Postby octodexy » Fri May 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I am going to wear clean panties just in case I'm raptured (unlikely.) I have also mentally prepared myself for an extended vacation if all of the children in the world disappear.
Motherfucker, I used to be somebody.

Postby Mattydread » Fri May 20, 2011 3:11 pm

I can't stop thinking of that episode of Squidbillies about the rapture.

Postby Kris » Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Darkstar Studios

Postby Jonathon Redley » Fri May 20, 2011 4:24 pm

The whole idea of a Rapture - in particular the pre-Tribulation view, where the 'chosen' are whisked away by Christ before the world undergoes a tremendous time of chaos before the events of Revelation occur - is foreign to Scripture. There is only ONE Second Coming.

Besides, I'd like to hear the guy's Scriptural justification as to why he has an exact date, even though Christ says otherwise in Matthew 24:

Jesus left the temple area and was going away, when his disciples approached him to point out the temple buildings.
He said to them in reply, "You see all these things, do you not? Amen, I say to you, there will not be left here a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down."
As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately and said, "Tell us, when will this happen, and what sign will there be of your coming, and of the end of the age?"
4 Jesus said to them in reply, "See that no one deceives you.
For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah,' and they will deceive many.
You will hear of wars and reports of wars; see that you are not alarmed, for these things must happen, but it will not yet be the end.
Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be famines and earthquakes from place to place.
All these are the beginning of the labor pains.
Then they will hand you over to persecution, and they will kill you. You will be hated by all nations because of my name.
And then many will be led into sin; they will betray and hate one another.
Many false prophets will arise and deceive many;
and because of the increase of evildoing, the love of many will grow cold.
But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved.
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the world as a witness to all nations, 8 and then the end will come.
"When you see the desolating abomination spoken of through Daniel the prophet standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),
then those in Judea must flee to the mountains,
a person on the housetop must not go down to get things out of his house,
a person in the field must not return to get his cloak.
Woe to pregnant women and nursing mothers in those days.
Pray that your flight not be in winter or on the sabbath,
for at that time there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will be.
And if those days had not been shortened, no one would be saved; but for the sake of the elect they will be shortened.
If anyone says to you then, 'Look, here is the Messiah!' or, 'There he is!' do not believe it.
False messiahs and false prophets will arise, and they will perform signs and wonders so great as to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect.
Behold, I have told it to you beforehand.
So if they say to you, 'He is in the desert,' do not go out there; if they say, 'He is in the inner rooms,' do not believe it.
For just as lightning comes from the east and is seen as far as the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be.
Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.
"Immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
And he will send out his angels with a trumpet blast, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
"Learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branch becomes tender and sprouts leaves, you know that summer is near.
In the same way, when you see all these things, know that he is near, at the gates.
Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place.
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
"But of that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
For as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
In (those) days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day that Noah entered the ark.
They did not know until the flood came and carried them all away. So will it be (also) at the coming of the Son of Man.
Two men will be out in the field; one will be taken, and one will be left.
Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken, and one will be left.
Therefore, stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come.
Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour of night when the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and not let his house be broken into.
So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.
"Who, then, is the faithful and prudent servant, whom the master has put in charge of his household to distribute to them their food at the proper time?
Blessed is that servant whom his master on his arrival finds doing so.
Amen, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property.
28 But if that wicked servant says to himself, 'My master is long delayed,'
and begins to beat his fellow servants, and eat and drink with drunkards,
the servant's master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour
and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.

So Mr. Camping, how come you've got the answer?

/it's spelled judgment, not judgement
Quote of the Moment
Nix wrote:Forget constructive dialog, debate or differing points of view; from now on I think we should all just throw shoes whenever we disagree with somebody. That's what civilized, responsible people do. Eat shoe, political detractors!

Postby Mathias » Fri May 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Jonathon Redley wrote:it's spelled judgment, not judgement

Either is acceptable.

Postby dragoonofdeath » Fri May 20, 2011 4:55 pm

PONIES, PONIES EVERYWHERE
Blood Lord wrote:
dragoonofdeath wrote:Am I the only one here thats not a grammar nazi?

Only when you log on.

Postby Valhallen » Fri May 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Jonathon Redley wrote:Besides, I'd like to hear the guy's Scriptural justification as to why he has an exact date, even though Christ says otherwise in Matthew 24:
Behold and weep for humanity.

Postby Alopunk » Fri May 20, 2011 5:20 pm

God, huh?
I'll just assume atheists will be safe. Yay me.
Also, I can't have no earthquake kill me yet...
i gotta go to an anime convention tomorrow.
Lord Soth: ^ That one does have a fascination in making people more sparkly.
Sable: And here I thought the sparkles you added to everything was cocaine.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not much of a punk.

Postby EagleMan » Fri May 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Watch as the Big One hits my area in California tomorrow and some lone proselytizer runs around screaming it's come true while I die in a fire.

And yeah Redley, I remember hearing something on one of the science channels (NatGeo?) that the Rapture isn't actually even in the Bible. It's sort of inferred or something.

Postby Kris » Fri May 20, 2011 6:15 pm

Valhallen wrote:
Jonathon Redley wrote:Besides, I'd like to hear the guy's Scriptural justification as to why he has an exact date, even though Christ says otherwise in Matthew 24:
Behold and weep for humanity.

It's like the Da Vinci Code or something.
But at any rate, unless the guy has the original text, and is reading his scripture in its original language, untranslated, unedited.... There's just no way you can interpret things with exact literal meaning. He's pulling numbers out of nowhere and connecting them, and using specific phrases to prove his point, when the original could say something else entirely. I'm not sure what version he's basing his thesis on, but I doubt he's got the Dead Sea Scrolls in his possession or something. He's also using a personal interpretation of the text, which means it could just be telling him what he wants to see in it.
This is, what, his third prediction? When the first didn't happen, he said he had made a mistake and it would happen in a few months time. Now he's claiming to have discovered a new interpretation or something that's given him this new date.

Darkstar Studios

Postby Grivous » Fri May 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Why this day is important?

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby EagleMan » Fri May 20, 2011 6:40 pm

It's the 100 year anniversary of the Treaty of Ciurad Juárez.

Postby zepherin » Fri May 20, 2011 7:26 pm

fuck it. Let this shit happen before I have to go to work tomorrow. I'm gunnu be pissed if I put in a full day of work on a Saturday and it starts raining sulfur and the Potomac runs red.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Big Blue » Fri May 20, 2011 7:32 pm

when I wake up tomorrow I better wake up to a red sky and a bunch of lightning,

because I really dont want to practice my skit

god I hate Shakespeare
I would if I could

but I cant

So I wont

---------------------------------
DeviantArt account: BiggBlue

Postby Vegedus » Sun May 22, 2011 2:43 pm

The only thing he managed to predict was The End of Snafu... Which turned out to be temporary.

Postby zepherin » Sun May 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Dave was raptured, but after they read his forum posts and realized he was from Utah they sent him back.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion