The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Closed]

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Open]

Postby Asmodai » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:58 pm

NO! I already kicked you off the ship!
Mephobiac

Postby BeeAre » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:40 pm

A GUST OF WIND HAS SAVED HIS CHARACTER THEY ARE NOW BACK IN THE SHIP HOORAY???
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Innocence Abandoned » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:37 pm

dragoonofdeath wrote:Sweetness. I think I need to flesh out my guy a bit more, seems weak compared to the others.

Then again hes a techology inept metalworker. What's there to flesh out?

Don't feel bad, I created a socially inept forester, of all things. Can't get much weaker than that.

Postby BeeAre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Weak characters are just characters who need a story brought to them! Don't worry about it.

I'll probably be starting things tomorrow or Friday, so.

ANY LAST MINUTE PEOPLE. WHO ARE GOING TO SIGN UP.

GET TO IT.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby Fummoffu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm

I would like to rp as a high level squad of passing Mercenaries.
All equipped with guns, grenades and Dwarven Mithril +3!
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rough Giraffe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am

Well, this is as good as it's gonna get.

EDIT: Naturally, his complexion is copper-ish or whatever, but his hair is blond. Is that okay?

====

"It's time, Son."
Bernard turned his head briefly, and then corked his vial, still glowing green in the light, and set it in the rack. His gloves groaned at him as he carefully peeled them off his sweaty skin, and dropped them into the decontamination chute. His goggles followed soon after, as did his respirator. His mouth free, he called out, "Coming, Father."

As he approached the door, he began removing his lab coat. He reflected briefly that he had tied and untied these strings perhaps a thousand times. As he passed the coat rack on his left side, he dropped the garment on to the hook, then stopped. That's right. He was taking that with him. He grabbed it back off the hook and folded it under his arm. He turned and walked up the stairs and ran one hand through his somewhat-frazzled blond hair and pressed on to meet his father upstairs. He passed the mirror in the hall and without stopping gazed into his own green eyes. Pride. The smile on his face became more pronounced, and he felt stronger as he made his way towards the front door.

His father was there, waiting for him. His father's eyes held so much pride behind them. "Today's the day, Son. Off you go."

He nodded. "I'll make you proud, Father."

"I know you will, Son. Good luck."

Bernard grabbed the pack by the door that he had assembled last night. It held a new set of rubber gloves, goggles, and a series of chemistry tools: small empty vials; bags of samples; a small mortar and pestle; a long mercury thermometer in a metal case; a few other items... everything he thought he might need for his test. As he stepped outside, he breathed deeply through his mouth and out through his mouth. He felt invigorated and strangely relaxed. He set his best foot forward and made his way towards Town Hall.
A little bit Ruff around the edges

Postby BeeAre » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:30 pm

sure, if your character cares to bleach it--as a chemist, he should be able to do that. everything else seems fine too except that you are one post ahead of everyone. this intro is not supposed to be the day of the town hall meeting lol.

it's not a huge deal though, since I'm arranging the main bulk of the starting posts now.

I'll be likely sending Iris some information tonight, and post up the main things that are supposed to go tomorrow.

Some simple things to remember: As the non-player moderator, I will have the ability to control the pace of the story. I will push us past any part of the story I deem unimportant, so we will have, as it were, unintentional acts and scenes that play out.

When I give you a cue in my posts that indicates you are allowed to post in a given situation, do the thing requested first and foremost, but then feel free to indulge in your character's thoughts or decisions about the requested action. I will generally let everyone know if a scene will continue before you post so you don't have to worry about making a huge deal about nothing or a small deal about a huge deal.

Generally, if you have specific questions about a specific scene, and you PM me before your post, we can agree on leaving room for you to wiggle, lol.

The first few posts, on that note, are going to be rather fast-paced.
BR

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:31 am

Almost got a character post done. I'll edit it in here later today.

Here it is.
-----------------
Looking back behind him, Leonan glanced at a small group of teens. A rowdy group, they were standing together, joking amongst themselves as they occasionally let out a remark telling him to keep going. Shaking his head in annoyance, the young adult called back in a harsh tone. "Quiet, guys! You'll scare the kriffid." His fellows burst into short laughter again, but they did cease some of their mocking. Leonan was glad he could finally focus on the task at hand. In front of him, a small group of kriffid were grazing in their pen, floating just above the luftshroom moss. He stood just outside that pen, pulling his coat tighter and straightening his vest as he built his confidence. His clothing was good quality, plain but finer than what the others wore. Leonan was fairly tall, just a bit more so than his fellows, and just slightly muscular. His dark black hair was medium length and well groomed, his bangs resting just above his brown-grey eyes. He calmed himself. It was just a matter of timing, that was all.

As he picked out the correct kriffid, he gave just a bit of thought about why he was following through with this stupid bet. He wasn't terribly sure why he agreed to it, really. Earlier they'd been hanging around, him and a few friends. Not the best of friends, but in a town this size you knew most everyone, at least a bit. One of them, soon to be a rancher no doubt, started talking about a kriffid in one of the riding herds. It was proving difficult to break in, which meant they'd have to go about it the good old way. A hundred foot free fall. Normally, it should be an experienced ranch hand doing this. But once the discussion began, naturally they started bragging and taunting. Boys will be boys. They were surprised though, when with a confident smile, Leonan Habbayo stated outright he could do it.

Spotting the right one wasn't too hard. It had fairly distinctive fur, and it was slightly away from the rest. Leonan crept towards it, calmly, moving around the other kriffid in the pen. It was dusk, and the sun was just starting to set. He'd have to work fast, as his parents didn't want him out too late the day before his Trials. Tomorrow, he'd finally be given his job, which meant officially joining the family business. Habbayo Contracting. They handled all the construction and renovation in Hinden, and they'd been doing it for generations. Like his father before him, Leonan was always expected to go into construction. It was a good job, of course; his family had one of the tallest houses in town. There was never much of a choice about it though, Leonan was the family heir and that was that. Leonan shook off his thoughts. Even if he wanted to try something else, it was a bit late now. Nineteen years of living, and tomorrow was assignment day.

Getting on to the kriffid was the easy part. Which wasn't saying much, as it didn't take too well to someone on top of it, as he'd heard, and he hadn't ridden a kriffid in some time now. He really preferred windboarding, probably because boards complained less. While he really should have asked the others for help, he doubted they'd be much help with how much they were laughing at him. The other guys probably didn't even think Leo would be dumb enough to go through with it. Nudging it over to the side of the tier, one last moment of hesitation as he looked down, seeing nothing but sky until the next platform some 100 feet down. Giving one last wave, he hold on tight and forced it over the edge, pushing it's gas valve open. Instantly, they began a rapid descent towards the ground. Free-falling through the air, Leo counted the seconds, hoping they weren't just messing with how this was supposed to work. With a quick movement, he flicked the valve shut. Checking again, forcing his eyes to stay open in spite of himself, the ground still looked to be approaching rapidly. At the last second though, they started to slowly down, and while the landing was rough, both parties survived. Making sure the kriffid wasn't injured, Leo dismounted and looked up. Grinning wildly, both at surviving and winning the bet, Leo found that while it'd been worth it just for the adrenaline, he knew the bragging rights were going to be all too sweet.
Last edited by NeoWarrior7 on Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
For the Greater Good

Postby FancyPants » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey people,

I'm kind of new around here. You see once I was a lurker (for all of seven minutes, I actually have no clue under which address I made this account —but enough of that , I mean you guys don't care), but no more! I am pleased to meat you all.

I haven't RP'ed in a while but I did some play by post stuff back in the day (mainly on Firefly boards, none of that chat stuff, I can't keep up with those guys, oh man) and this one looks pretty sweetpie, so could I trouble you to wait for another couple hours or so before you start this thing? I'd really love to play, really c:

Postby BeeAre » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 pm

>_> oh. uh. okay. Hi.

Yes. I'll wait until tomorrow, then.
BR

Postby Fummoffu » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:38 pm

You fucking for real?
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rough Giraffe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Ahem.

Yes.... Fancypants? You should, I guess, read the forum rules. You can post your character introduction before you read the forum rules, but you should eventually read and understand them.

It will save you from a lot of banning later.
A little bit Ruff around the edges

Postby Asmodai » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Funnily enough, we've waited for "a couple of hours" and he/she still hasn't produced a sheet or anything
Mephobiac

Postby BeeAre » Sun May 01, 2011 12:42 am

i fell bad because it was their first post and into to the community at large but a no show? hrmmmmmmmm

:x i will wait until tomorrow evening, but if you are not in by then, i'll have to start.

regular participation in this stuff is kinda a rule if i recall correctly, so while i can dilly a bit at the beginning, we can't keep doing this once we're underway. if ya can't rely on some internet time to post regularly, bud, i can't hold everyone back for ya. all for one? nah but one for all. :X

if there arises a time where a new character that can be introduced in the context of the story, i can include you then, but. good things to those who come first.

well anyhoozles, i am almost ready in terms of teh posts but.

i'm not waiting another full day, but i'll come back on sometime tomororw and let you in if you are ready by then.

hope you get home from sunday church early if you do that sort of thing.
BR

Postby Asmodai » Sun May 01, 2011 8:56 am

Eye of the Storm

It seemed appropriate enough
Mephobiac

Postby FancyPants » Sun May 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Whoops~

I got started on friday night, but then I went to bed, woke up, had stuff to do, basically it slipped my mind. Yeah. Not the most shining example of commitment, I'll agree, but if you guys can't wait a couple days for a post then I don't think I'd fit in right.

Well, my bad, sorry for holding you up. Have a nice life and all.

Re: The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Closed]

Postby BeeAre » Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 pm

If your circumstances ever change to where you think you'd be able to in the future, we'd love to have you, bro. there will be a few times where you'll be able to join in the story.

And hey, you can still post in the rest of the forum. We're a nice enough community. We like ponies, etc.

Hey, everybody! Important detail in the upcoming thread: The last five years have been a testing ground for a pneumatic "rocket" system of tubes that quickly gets mail anywhere in the community, going to a hub and then being delivered out.

btw radio as a system is referred to as Echomission, and as a device an Echomitter.
BR

Postby Fummoffu » Sun May 01, 2011 5:48 pm

I wish to have a record player :(
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Sun May 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Fummofu wrote:I wish to have a record player :(

in hinden itself, there aren't a lot of gramophones, but i'll say that recording cylinders have been invented and even can play some decent quality songs.

Musical tradition tends to be drums and horns, but kids in the last fifty years have been listening to string-horn variations that are much more orchestral GASP THE SCANDAL KIDS THESE DAYS WITH THEIR LOUD ENSEMBLE MUSIC.

You can have a record player in this fashion: the old recording cylinder.

The player would operate by going slowly around and around a tightly wrapped set of grooves to push out the gramophone horn (you know the big gold horn part). If it is a fancy one (and your character might have shelled out their regular working wages or traded what goods they have collected to get a fancy one), then the cylinder's path is extremely thin and convoluted so as to get more grooves per cylinder, something of upwards maybe five to seven minutes of potential recording up from the usual three to four, holy crap!

Your musical library would be fairly small, though. And the cylinders are fairly delicate, so you may have to rig some kind of stabilization mechanism to be able to make sure the cylinders survive a change from placid flight (the only time you would even dream of using them on a ship) to any sort of turbulent movement.

so sure, you can do this, as long as you put the proper amount of investment into such a treasure :O
BR

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 pm

How about clocks? Pocket watches?
For the Greater Good

Postby Fummoffu » Sun May 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Clockwork lovers?~
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Sun May 01, 2011 6:09 pm

HELL YES.
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Fummoffu » Sun May 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Lol Sammy :3
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Sun May 01, 2011 6:16 pm

You know me~
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Fummoffu » Sun May 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Oh you bet :3
I wish to know more though~
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing