The status of male and female actors

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The status of male and female actors

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 am

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/201 ... g-sexy.htm

USA Today wrote:An analysis of the 100 top-grossing movies of 2008 shows that men had 67% of the speaking roles; women had about half that, 33%.
Men also were far more likely to work behind the camera. For every five male directors, writers or producers, there was one female.
At the same time, female characters were more likely to wear sexy, provocative clothing than men (26% vs. 5%) or to appear partially naked (24% vs. 8%).
The sexualization of teen girls in the movies was the most troubling finding to the researchers at Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern California.
Female teenage characters were more likely to wear sexy, provocative clothing (40%) than other women — even more than those age 21 to 39 (32%). And the teen girls were as likely to appear partially naked as the older women (30%).
Lead researcher Stacy Smith, a communication professor of entertainment at USC, says "the data speaks to an overemphasis on beauty, thinness and sexualization of women at younger and younger ages."
The study, to be released today, also found that 29% of teen girls were called attractive by another person in the movie vs. 18% of women ages 21 to 39 and 8% of women 40 to 64.
Marc Choueiti, the project administrator, says this sends a message to teen girls that they are "eye candy," which could affect the body image of some young female viewers.
For the study, researchers analyzed 4,370 speaking parts in the top 100 films from 2008, including The Dark Knight,Iron Man and Twilight.
"Women represent roughly half of the U.S. population and buy roughly half of the movie tickets, but they still represent only a third of the speaking roles in film," Smith says. "Females are missing in action when it comes to speaking roles."
Jennifer Stevens Aubrey, a University of Missouri researcher who studies the media's influence on young people and was not involved in this study, says the sexualization of girls is rampant in films, television, music videos and the marketing of clothing to children.
"This is sending a powerful message that it's important for girls and young women to be sexual objects from a very early age," she says.

I first found out about this from a toku-subbing site called TVNihon, and after reading this, I find it quite true that there were more male actors given speaking roles than females but it's obvious.

What caught my attention as a read though was the fact that females-specifically teenage girls-show more skin, as said in the article. However, it's not a surprise to me because teenage moe girls in Anime/Manga were like that too, although at a lower extent.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Re: The status of male and female actors

Postby EagleMan » Sun May 01, 2011 1:39 am

The conclusion is dumb.

The film industry is not always the forerunner of trends.

They might just be doing it because it would otherwise be odd. It's just what people wear. Unless they did some statistical analysis on which came first, it's illogical to conclude that movies are what are coaxing young women into wearing these clothes. Movies tend to portray reality so as to immerse the viewer better. Having partially unclothed teenage males everywhere would look odd for instance.

Cell phones came around and when basically every teen used them, every movie with teens started having them use cell phones. Texting became big, and so it became big in the movies. Often the trend is reversed in my opinion, with real life flowing into movies, not out of them.

Might one say that they have a responsibility to try to portray a more ideal reality in the hopes of persuading subconsciously people to follow those standards? Possibly. But most movies reflect society, they don't try to change it. Which is how reflects that there's still a gender gap. Even if women are graduating more and have more jobs, they still have few positions of power in general, just like in the movies.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 am

Like the trend of smoking in movies even period pieces.
I AM THE GOSHDARN BATMAN
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Malumultimus » Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 am

I don't mind coming off as sexist (sig), but...so guys like jailbait and people think men are more commanding than women because movies told them so? It must be nice, not having to live in reality.
Dave keep your damn near racist ignorant logic as far from the other sections of the site as humanly possible because it hurts my face just thinking about it.
MG mal your just sick
Wizard Mal...you're kind of a loser. / Mal was, is, and always will be a cunt / I used to hate Mal, but I've since come to pity him.
Tazuren Mal, please, do the world a BIG FUCKING FAVOR, and drop DEAD!
Cybella YOU EGOCENTRIC IDIOT!
Kathleen mal you are the people i hate the most here...and that is saying something
Hana you misogynist fuckwad.
Sakura I hate you.
Relick not many people would really care if you left without a word.
Cali Mal's an elitist cunt that glowers in getting peopel to dislike him. He can stay the fuck out of the RP forums forever and I'll be happy and he could leave Snafu altogehter and I'd probably not even notice..and if I did, I'd be nothing but happy. Shit, he's nothing special. Just another internet troll that happens to wear a different mask.

Postby Icha » Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 am

Dood, if that's all it takes, all we have to do is make a movie where literally everyone's awesome, and then society will improve!
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Sun May 01, 2011 5:16 pm

I read the thread title, and thought to myself "if i click on this thread, and the post is about women whining about being treated as inferior, i'll tell the OP to go fuck him/herself". So yeah Rosso, go fuck yourself. Nothing personal see. :P
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 am

This isn't about women whining about being treated as inferior. This is just an analysis.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

Postby zepherin » Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 am

Directors are sexist pigs. They see women as commodities to be used and abused.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I find the idea of putting women in sex roles cliche. For example, the women who took the roles of the women that all the James Bond actors in the role of Bond got laid with.
-Hippocrates

Postby zepherin » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm

But that is part of the bond formula.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue May 03, 2011 2:02 am

Yeah, I know. But it shows me that there's almost some romance between an action movie protagonist and a lady that's either the damsel or the supporting character.
-Hippocrates

Return to Snafu General Discussion