The Doctor Who Thread

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Doctor Who Thread

Postby Doctress Who » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Welcome to the Doctor Who discussion thread
A thread for all things Doctor Who

Seeing as conversations about the show are becoming more and more frequent, and people have suggested this, I decided it's about time to give this it's own thread.

Basically, anything that's about Doctor Who, anything at all, feel free to discuss here. It can be talking about episodes, images or links to any Doctor Who shit you feel like sharing, questions about Doctor who, or just general discussion about the show. Anything.

I put this here instead of another sub forum, because it seemed like the best place to put it. Plus, let's face it, the EA forum needs some more activity. Anything to keep this place going.

A few rules:

- Spoilers about the show are welcome, but PLEASE USE THE SPOILER TAG. Especially if you're discussing the most recent series. Not everyone will have seen the episode before you have, so...yeah. Try to be understanding. I do not want to have to post SPOILER THAT SHIT every time a new episode airs.

Also, if you look at a spoiler tag and it spoils something for you, it's your own fault for looking. ;D

- I'm going to say images are welcome with caution. I do not want to see pages spammed with a shit load of images like the MLP thread (unless there really is nothing else to talk about, in which case, if it keeps the thread active, I don't give a fuck).

- If an image is too large, link it.

- Also, if an image contains a spoiler, link it and put (Spoiler) beside it. Same goes for links.

- Try to keep on topic. If you find yourself in a discussion about something else, take it to another thread.

- And finally, have fun. or else.

So, let's kick off this thread with a few topics:

"The Impossible Astronaut" - Have you watched the first episode of the new series? What was your reaction to it? Good points/bad points? Any theories you have on certain aspects of the episode?

Who's your favourite Doctor, and why? - Come on, I'm curious. If you have more than one favourite, go ahead and list them.

Favourite Doctor Who companions - Give me a list of your top five, or less than that if you don't know many. What do you like about them?

And remember, any questions, opinions, or anything else to do with Doctor Who are also welcome. :]
Hiryu: Doc's bag is a portal. She's actually from another dimension and when she jumped into it, she ended up at a desk with a browser open on this site. That's how she found it.
We have a Doctor Who thread now. Doctor Who threads are cool.
Time Lady

Re: The Doctor Who Thread

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 pm

THE BEAST IS RISING, IT HAS PULLED ITSELF BACK FROM THE ETERNAL VOID! THE RAGE AND THE BILE AND THE FEROCITY! THE PRINCE AND THE FOOL AND THE AGONY! THE SIN, THE FEAR AND THE DARKNESS! HE SHALL ALWAYS LIVE ON IN THE HEARTS OF MEN. HE SHALL NEVER DIE!

ALL SHALL BOW DOWN TO HIS TERRIBLE MA-JES-TY!   
Last edited by MQuinny1234 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Unlimited » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Missed the episode "The Impossible Astronaut".
Damn.
Memento mori

Postby sam4books » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Ignoring the new episode bit;   

Favorite Doctor:

9th Doctor.

Why?

Because he was a badass Doctor who never gave a fuck, you can't deny it. :D Like that war vet sort of personality, always getting rough with the aliens and shit. I like my men like that x)

My second favorite would the fourth doctor because of scarf. Naturally. Either that or the tenth doctor because he is funny. And brilliant in general.

Favorite Companions:

~Donna

Why: Because she is smart, witty and clever, and she's the only companion who can tell the Doctor what to do X3

~Romana

Why: Because of scarf and why the hell not. Plus she also knows how to shut a man up :3

~Sarah Jane Smith

Why: Because she is awesome.

~Martha Jones

Why: Shuddap, I actually liked her :|

~Rose Taylor

Why: She was kinda enjoyable?

(I dunno really)
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Unlimited » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Speaking about Sarah Jane Smith, did you know the actress , Elisabeth Sladen, died?
Just saying.
Memento mori

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Yeah. I think I can say that nearly everyone here did.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Archrival » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:21 pm

The new episode has blown my mind in many ways, I've discussed hidden plot pieces with friends before such as how the Doctor (Tennant) would have stayed the same when he got shot by a Dalek. And the current episode makes me think it's another twist with    Matt Smith's Doctor's 'death'   .

On a Companion note Elisabeth Sladen's death is a terrible passing and she shall be missed.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Mastermind001 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Favorite Doctor:

6th, 8th, and 9th, they were alright.

4th was fun, he's the start of the series for me.

1st ,2nd and Third, were my favorites when they worked together. The group chemistry was dynamic, " A clown and a dandy."

5th, I liked him, because he was pure. A noble man, who followed his code of honor. He understood that if killed his enemies, he would become just as vile as they were.

7th, because I kid you not, because he was a manipulative person and often used his allies and enemies as game pieces. Just watching him in action, you knew, what sort of bastard he could be. The universe would tremble if he was an evil man.

So number 1 on my list of favorites, is of course, number 10. He's could be a humanitarian at one point and evil incarnated at the next. When he said " I'm not a man of second chances.", I stood up from my couch and proclaimed " This is my doctor.".

Favorite Enemy of the doctor: Who is it is, is Obvious

-He owned a squadron of Cybermen, because he knew Pie.

-His own kind sent him to the Dalek's home world to put him to death.

-He is the only person, who could ever be an equal to the Doctor.

-He destroyed 1/10 of the universe.

- Mutherfucker, Its the "MASTER", ambition universal domination. His drive, killing the doctor, because sometimes, he can be a pain or just for shits and giggles.

Favorite Companion:

Number 1 - Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, at any point, does he show up, you know he demands some answers.

Number 2-Ace and Donna

Number- 3 Romana II

Number 4 - K9, all of them.
"Fate smiles on the strange. So its a good thing, I'm the strangest of all." - William Livingstone, Cirque de la Nuit
More Robots

Postby Karo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:21 pm

The Stetson is so cooler than the Fez.
Zath: Behold, Karo: The only woman in existence who can make Fenix shut the fuck up.
Redsnow: That, and, frankly, if Karo doesn't like you that much, your character is probably going to die soon after his acceptance anyway.
Keiran: Bad RPs don't get picked, unmemberable RPs get ignored.
Zelosse: I don't usually laugh at blatant attitude, but when I do. It usually involves Karo.

Postby sam4books » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Btw.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Because I can.
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Grivous » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Why everyone say this one is(or remember) Doctor Who?

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby sam4books » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Because he looks like David Tenant.

Also because of the hourglass.

AND IT'S DOCTOR WHOOVES.
In passing

Postby Villain » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Daleck beats all.

And is great for plumbing. Speaking of which I can only barely imagine why a legion of robots would possibly need plumbing or plumbing equipment to begin with.
For the king, For the king, For the sake of Skyrim. For the Nine, for the hope of High Hrothgar's pass, and for all of Sovngarde; Where the souls sing your song. For the king, For our King, who will guard Hrothgar! Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin, wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin norok paal graan, fod nust hon zindro zaan, Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

Postby Karo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Because Doctor Whooves pops up in several episodes, and is different every time. He's had two different voices so far, and has been both an earth pony and a pegasus pony(He's the first pony that Rainbow Dash switches numbers with in the episode Sonic Rainboom.)
Zath: Behold, Karo: The only woman in existence who can make Fenix shut the fuck up.
Redsnow: That, and, frankly, if Karo doesn't like you that much, your character is probably going to die soon after his acceptance anyway.
Keiran: Bad RPs don't get picked, unmemberable RPs get ignored.
Zelosse: I don't usually laugh at blatant attitude, but when I do. It usually involves Karo.

Postby Doctress Who » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 pm

@Sam's drawing: That is fucking awesome, Sam.
Daleks and Slenderman, ftw.

AND I LOVE DOCTOR WHOOVES. JUST SAYING.

Karo wrote:The Stetson is so cooler than the Fez.
I can actually agree with this.
Although I still love the Fez.

Mastermind001 wrote:1st ,2nd and Third, were my favorites when they worked together. The group chemistry was dynamic, " A clown and a dandy."
I simply love 'The Three Doctors'. And any interaction between the Second and Third Doctors is always so amusing. Has me in giggles everytime.

Archrival wrote:And the current episode makes me think it's another twist with    Matt Smith's Doctor's 'death'   .
I think it most certainly has to have some kind of catch to it.    I mean, the fact that he was supposedly 200 years or something older, and yet he was still Matt Smith...It's possible for that to happen, but unlikey. Something's definitely off about that 'death'. It does make me wonder, whether they'll solve the mystery at the end of the two parter, or whether this is going to be a mystery that doesn't get solved until later in the series...   

And I might as well name my favourites:

Favourite Doctors:

~Ninth Doctor~
He was the Doctor that made me a fan. For that fact alone, I will always consider him 'my Doctor'.
He was brilliantly funny, but oh so sarcastic and cynical too...and his snark was always made of win.
My only regret is that we didn't get to see more of him. Give me an episode like 'Dalek' for the Doctor any day. You could tell how much the Time War had affected him, and that avenue is something that still to this day has rarely been explored in much detail. So much wasted potential :[

~Tenth Doctor ~
cos he's brilliant. He makes me laugh...he makes me cry...he makes me scared sometimes to. Funny one moment and downright dark the next. He's like a bubbling pot of everything the Doctor should be.
Plus he has the best catchphrases. Allons-y!

~Fourth Doctor~
The scarf. The hat. The coat. He had the best clothes that could beat Matt Smith's Bow Tie hands down. Not to mention, absolutely bonkers (only matched by Ten and Eleven in terms of how crazy he is), just the right amount of arrogance...and surprisingly sly, too. And I just love him.

~Eleventh Doctor~
Fastly becoming as good in my books as Ten, although not quite there yet. I fell in love with his character from the moment he did the 'food scene' in 'The Eleventh Hour'. And he has the most epic speeches that even surpass that of the Tenth Doctor.
Also, bow ties. Bow Ties are cool.

~Fifth Doctor~
What can I say. He's just simply adorable. And it's very very hard not to like him. I don't really have the words for him, except that he's amazing, noble...and I can't help but go :3
Also, STICK OF CELERY FTW.

And now, companions:
1. Ace
No, it's not Romana, but Ace. Fucking Ace. Best companion ever, in my opinion. She was fucking bad ass. AND SHE DEFEATED A DALEK WITH A MOTHER FUCKING BASEBALL BAT.

2. Romana II
The only Time Lord the Doctor ever really got on well with, and as far as companions go, almost the Doctor's equal. Witty, funny, and very likable. And her costumes were brilliant. Not to mention, like Sam said, she knows how to shut a man up. In the tv series, I loved the way she handled both the Doctor, and guys like Duggan (coincidentally, 'The City of Death' is one of my favourite episodes. The Doctor, Romana and Duggan make such a team). And not mention, the way she handles villains. Some stories showed her as a bit of a wuss, but episodes like 'The Horns of Nimon'...yes that was an awful episode, but god damn Romana fucking OWNED it. She was like a mini female Doctor.

3. Donna Noble
Where do I begin with her. She was just full of win, and could boss the Doctor around in a way which made her, in my opinion, very likable. And she won't take any shit. And, after the whole ordeal with Rose and Martha, the fact that she and the Doctor were just mates was music to my ears.
Also, Donna and the Doctor = Best banter ever.

4. Leela
She's popular with many people because of her looks, but seriously, her personality is brilliant and often underrated. She proved that female companions could really kick ass, and proved that you can be academically not very bright, and yet still be highly intelligent. And she had such a way with death threats. She was like a violent, warrior version of Donna Noble.
Not to mention the way she first joined the Doctor as a companion = Priceless. Best 'welcome to the TARDIS' ever. "NOO DON'T TOUCH THAT!"

5. K9
He could outsmart the Doctor at chess, and was much more than just a robot mascot. Not to mention, generally just very witty and wonderful to watch him interact with other characters. "SHUT UP K9" springs to mind as a catchprhase for when other characters get pissed off with him. And yet, when you look at all the times K9's made a heroic sacrifice to save everyone, you really feel sorry for him.
Also, I like him because he's damn cute.

And I feel that Sarah Jane Smith, the Brigadier and Romana I all deserve a mention, even though they didn't make it into my top five.
Also SALLY SPARROW and, on a similar note, DUGGAN - TWO CHARACTERS WHO SHOULD HAVE TOTALLY BEEN COMPANIONS.
Hiryu: Doc's bag is a portal. She's actually from another dimension and when she jumped into it, she ended up at a desk with a browser open on this site. That's how she found it.
Time Lady

Postby sam4books » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:33 pm

HELL YEAH. NINTH DOCTOR *hi fives Doc*

Also, does this mean Ace is the female version of Evan?
In passing

Postby Doctress Who » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:05 am

OH YES *High fives back*

And perhaps. I don't know Evan's character well enough to compare.
But to help you compare here's some short clips of Ace in action:

Ace beating up Daleks with a base ball bat

Ace beating up old school Cybermen with a slingshot

Yes, she is that awesome. Base ball bat. Slingshot. FUCK YEAH. GO ACE.
Time Lady

Postby sam4books » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 am

HOLY SHIT. SHE IS AWESOME. WTF.

Hey! It turned off the background music! That bastard D:<

Also, here ya go. Something to compare her with :3
In passing

Postby Doctress Who » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:21 am

sam4books wrote:Hey! It turned off the background music! That bastard D:<
INORITE?

Woah. FUCKING HELL.

That was fucking brave.

Yeah, definitely in terms of badassery, Evan and Ace are on the same level.
Time Lady

Postby goggy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:18 am

I hate River Song. :[

I can't wait for next week.
Awake but Confused

Postby Saint Soul » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:54 pm

No you don't *in Dr. voice*

Is it me or does River hate every hat the doctor wears.

Would anyone like to know about the next episode?    Specifically who Amy shot.   

BTW nice thread Doctress. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Saint Soul on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Mastermind001 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Doc, don't forget the five doctors. It was a shame, the fourth refused to be on that one.

I'm surprise there is no love for the Seventh.
"Fate smiles on the strange. So its a good thing, I'm the strangest of all." - William Livingstone, Cirque de la Nuit
More Robots

Postby Doctress Who » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Soulchild wrote:BTW nice thread Doctress. :mrgreen:
Thanks.
Mastermind001 wrote:Doc, don't forget the five doctors. It was a shame, the fourth refused to be on that one.
I fucking LOVED the five doctors.
Hell, I love all multi-doctor stories. I'm a sucker for crossovers :x

And I know ;___; Fourth Doctor should have been there. And Romana.

I do hope, that Tom Baker might do a multi-doctor story in the future, though. If they do a multi-doctor story for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary in 2013...

Mastermind001 wrote:I'm surprise there is no love for the Seventh.
Oh, I love the 'Professor' too. :3
Just didn't have room for him on my list. TOO MANY DOCTORS TO LOVE, MAN.

Seven was such a manipulative bastard. And I loved his accent. And in terms of Doctor & Companion relationships, Seven and Ace make such a team.
It's a shame they cancelled the show, I would have loved to watch more adventures with him.
Also, his umbrella was awesome.
Time Lady

Postby Archrival » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:25 am

goggy wrote:I hate River Song. :[

I can't wait for next week.

River is my absolute fav in terms of who she actually is, I mean her backstory is so touching compared to any other companion. I know there are better characters in terms of personality such as Sarah Jane or Donna/Rose/Martha but in terms of what the character is about you can't top River. She is like a backwards Doctor, I mean she knows every little detail about him to the point of being a Doctor in her own right but sadly it ends for her just as we meet her and by the time we actually find out who she is she knows nothing of who the Doctor is.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Hana » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Who's your favourite Doctor, and why?
Ten.

You never forget your first Doctor.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Next

Return to EverAfter