Dynasty Warriors 7

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dynasty Warriors 7

Postby Hana » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:01 pm

So we've been playing around with Wu's Story Mode for a few hours now, and I must say that I am pleased with the game so far.

The game is visually stunning, and they did a great job with the texturing and clothing morphs, even if the capes are a little...hair-trigger. I lovelovelove that when you have a cape-wearing character run, their heels will kick up the bottom of the cape. It's little details like that that enrich a game, to me.

I also really like the trend toward more correct pronunciation of the names. Some of the new character designs are a little....well, I'll have to see if they grow on me. Zhou Yu looks the girliest he ever has...I do really like Shang Xiang's new outfit, though.

The battle system is simple in theory, but very difficult in practice for a button-masher like me. Still, even though I'm not often able to pull off the EX-attacks, I'm finding the game rather fun. I adore the ability to switch weapons and earn seals to customize them.

Anybody else pick it up yet?
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Re: Dynasty Warriors 7

Postby Archrival » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 am

Hows the foe AI? That's always the main retard point of the DW franchise.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Hana » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 pm

I've only played on Beginner ('cause I suck, yo), but even still...If you leave the enemy officers an opening, they WILL take it and conquer your shit.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Ro Wong » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm

Officers, some will. But it depends on how you play, I suppose.

Me, on normal, I'm slaughtering nearly everyone. Officers included. Only when I got three of them on me that I gotta jump away to start juggling the guys. Or use a musou to knock a couple of them flying long enough to kill their solo buddy.

Unless it's Lubu... Not as bad as he was in 6, it seems, but he's been the only thing that's killed me thus far. (In Story mode. Barely gotten into Conquest. Have to see how bad those missions for rare weapons are before I judge fully.) He was smart enough to musou while I was in the middle of a combo. And half health isn't good for resisting something that looks like a missile explosion.
Demon of Elru

Postby Senel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm on the fence with Gan Ning. His new hair is just so..........yeah, I also miss his DW5 move set.

Postby Hana » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Yeah, I'm finding that I'm not really fond of some of the new character designs...or voice actors (Sun Quan's, for one...Couldn't they find someone who could, you know...act?).

Zhou Yu looks and sounds evil now...which is entirely fitting, imho, but not what I'm used to.

Poor Zhang He is still gay. Le sigh.

However, the fact that they have Jiang Wei might make up for most of that, once I unlock him.

Xiahou Dun makes up for the rest of it. This is where I degrade into dreamy sighs....
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Ro Wong » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Hana wrote:Yeah, I'm finding that I'm not really fond of some of the new character designs...or voice actors (Sun Quan's, for one...Couldn't they find someone who could, you know...act?).

Zhou Yu looks and sounds evil now...which is entirely fitting, imho, but not what I'm used to.

Poor Zhang He is still gay. Le sigh.

However, the fact that they have Jiang Wei might make up for most of that, once I unlock him.

Xiahou Dun makes up for the rest of it. This is where I degrade into dreamy sighs....

Just play Wuzhang. He's unlocked easy. (Unless I did something I didn't notice doing right...)

My beef with Zhou Yu is the costume... Looks like something I'd expect from the old British navy... Need to take him back to his long, red robes. Hopefully he has an unlockable outfit that changes that out.
Demon of Elru

Postby Hana » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Ugh. Jiang Wei's voice sucks. I am sorely disappointed.

I really wish they'd given an option to have a Japanese voice track with English subtitles.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby EagleMan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Is this game that much different from any in the series before? I remember playing them all and I dropped off a few years ago. Xiahou Dun was always a favorite of mine for .. his faction, whatever he's in .. (The Wei, Wu, Shu? I think it was Wei). Looking up his new design though, I still like it, it looks really good.

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Has a mode for online play. They included a fourth kingdom to play as after the time that each of the other three has their last big battle. And some new features to the gameplay they never had before. (Hopping into siege weapons to use them yourself, like firing catapults.)
Demon of Elru

Postby Hana » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 pm

EagleMan wrote:Is this game that much different from any in the series before?

Yeah.

Story mode is now by faction, not by character.
Conquest mode is completely different and provides a lot of freedom after the first few missions.
Lots of new characters.
You can equip DIFFERENT WEAPONS. I mean different KINDS of weapons...WHILE YOU'RE ON THE MAP, EVEN! This is the BIGGEST change.
Renbu system is GONE. This is a good thing.
There is a variety of attacks depending on button combinations, including special EX attacks you can get off with a character's preferred weapon.
Skill system is entirely different, and not everyone has access to the same skills. For example, Lu Meng is the only Story Mode unlocked character from Wu with the Blacksmith skill.
This game is a lot more accurate to the novel than most previous games (4 is still the most accurate to the history, though).
Climbing ladders and swimming make a return from 6.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Hana » Mon May 09, 2011 12:11 pm

<3 Japanese language pack DLC!
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Malumultimus » Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm a long time Dynasty Warriors fan, but I thought this one was disappointing. The game has always been a multiplayer event for my best friend and I, and that was pretty impossible with this one. Our options were to play a pseudo-RPG of makebelieve battles or have one of us follow the story while the other jerked off in the corner. Yeah, that's a much better system than - you know - doing what you want.

I also felt like the game punished you for wasting time with fodder. I admit I didn't play it enough to know how true this is, but when I did play it, I kept losing because I ignored the objective...but the objective meant running by tons of soldiers. I don't know about anyone else, but rushing the commander is boring -- mapping out your screen-clearing route is fun.

I guess Koei disagrees.

As for the inclusion of Jin, I guess they wanted to finally add post-Zhuge Liang battles (and famous characters like Deng Ai), but I wasn't feeling it. They could have easily had them been "Other" like all the other groups. I mean, they're not one of the Three Kingdoms, anyway. And Sima Yi's their leader? Um...

But I'm glad to see people have been enjoying it, after how 5 and 6 were received.
Dave keep your damn near racist ignorant logic as far from the other sections of the site as humanly possible because it hurts my face just thinking about it.
MG mal your just sick
Wizard Mal...you're kind of a loser. / Mal was, is, and always will be a cunt / I used to hate Mal, but I've since come to pity him.
Tazuren Mal, please, do the world a BIG FUCKING FAVOR, and drop DEAD!
Cybella YOU EGOCENTRIC IDIOT!
Kathleen mal you are the people i hate the most here...and that is saying something
Hana you misogynist fuckwad.
Sakura I hate you.
Relick not many people would really care if you left without a word.
Cali Mal's an elitist cunt that glowers in getting peopel to dislike him. He can stay the fuck out of the RP forums forever and I'll be happy and he could leave Snafu altogehter and I'd probably not even notice..and if I did, I'd be nothing but happy. Shit, he's nothing special. Just another internet troll that happens to wear a different mask.

Return to Snafu Gaming