Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes by Nexon and Valve

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes by Nexon and Valve

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Let me start out by saying that this is one of the greatest MMOs that I have ever played.

Last week I went against a Giant Bear, which was a great experience despite it being easy with six people to fight alongside with.

However...

This game...is bloody. More than any other game that I have imagined. Cut limbs or bruises from other games are nothing compared to what the FUCK I just saw last night. I feel fine now, but just thinking about it still makes me uneasy.

Vindictus actually has models of Children and a few teenagers. Among one of them, Ellis, suffered an unfortunate fate.    And it wasn't pretty.   

There isn't going to be much blood If your graphics card isn't too great. However, If your specs are high, then the game looks great and the blood seems rather enjoyable. Ellis's death had made me question the level of violence though; he's a kid my age, and I'm used to seeing adults dying. That's funny for me, but still, I feel devastated about what I just saw.

Anyhow, the game supports controllers. Although the game can use Xbox 360 controllers, it can also use Playstation 3 controllers as well. The game is a rather fun hack-and-slash-beat-em-all-up game, and the exp gained in this game is mainly through quests. and unlike other games, it's rather huge. Some quests require you to visit a dungeon and beat whatever boss is in there. And once you're in the dungeon you can do a variety of things. I had more fun beating dungeons with Lann, a dual-wielding swordsman who is "recommended for those with experience in fast-paced action games."

CLASSES:
Lann is hella fun. Besides slicing through monsters, I even got to throw them off ledges, beat them up on walls or throw them off them, throw them, punch and throw them on the ground, kick and collide them with the other enemies, throw them onto objects, and lastly, break backs.

As for Evie, you can make golems, heal teammates, resurrect them at the cost of some HP, do some spells as usual, but also use staffs and a scythe. And I've never seen a wizard with a Scythe before, that's fucking rad. At one point, an Evie user used one of those Paladin skills from the recent Rocheste Royal Cadets add-on to the game and what it does it basically turn you into demi-god mode.

The next class is known as Fiona. For now, she is the game's tank class (the other being Karok, who is coming soon.) Fiona is "recommended for those with moderate experience in action games." She is a bit hard to control, but the cool thing I like about Fiona? She reminds me of Link. Fiona's abilities include a counter attack that strikes enemies whenever she shields from them, but her shield is rather fragile. She's also slow, but she's hella strong. Fiona can also withstand the strongest blows in the game.

The game's plot is divided into a few set of dungeons. Perilous Ruins is the First Chapter in the game, but not all dungeons a part of the plot. Some dungeons are part of quests. However, there are times where you may have to repeat some dungeons in order to proceed to the next. These Prerequisites require a certain number of battle points, but it's not the only requirement. Dungeons following other dungeons in the set of dungeons available require you to be a certain level.

The quests in the game are really easy to complete If you have the money to buy the required materials. It's easy to get money in this game as well since many of the quests in the game provide you with a lot. Although some items can be a bit expensive, and I recommend that you buy the least expensive item in the Marketplace, especially those within the thousands range, because I almost became broke when I did a quest at one point.

You can also craft some armor for yourself, and the Marketplace has much further usefulness in this case. It's become easier for me to access cheaper materials for me to buy, and Crafting your first not-so-noobish Crimson Rage set will be easy thanks to the Marketplace. Equipment can also be dyed at a "dye shop", in which you can recolor your armor and look like a better person.

There's a whole lot for me to explain, and because of that, I'm happy to say that the games offers so much for everyone. The game runs on the Source engine like the other Valve games, and it's going to be awhile until someone makes an awesome Vindictus Garry's Mod movie.

All of this info is based on personal experience from the game, and It's more of that than a review. But do I recommend it? Yeah, definitely, play it dammit if you haven't.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Re: Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes by Nexon and Valve

Postby Asmodai » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:51 pm

That devastated you? Good lord, was that the first time you've seen someone die in a game?
Homefront. Skip to around 6m 20, but I advise you to watch everything
Or actually, dont watch that... it would most likely cause some kind of nervous breakdown if you were devastated by what you posted.

I would love to see you play as the Predator from Aliens Vs Predator (2010)... the stuff you do there would probably make you faint or something :D
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:25 pm

The boy was my age, I'm used to adults and children dying but fuck, a peer?
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

Postby Mathias » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Rosso Rose wrote:   And it wasn't pretty.   

That was pretty mild and it was mostly off-screen.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Fummoffu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 am

It wasn't gory enough.
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:04 am

Rosso Rose wrote:The boy was my age, I'm used to adults and children dying but fuck, a peer?

This makes me wonder how long you've been a gamer... I've seen plenty of "kids" die (I mean seriously, that kid looked at least 16 or older)
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Fummoffu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 am

The younger the better.
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:10 pm

I've played the game off and on throughout it's beta, and it's actually pretty decent. Was rather surprised that it really was much more action based and not just "Oh, you pick target and combo attack" (I'm looking at you DCUO). Lots of fun things you can do in it.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
||The soul sheds light and death is it's shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace.||
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Asmodai wrote:
Rosso Rose wrote:The boy was my age, I'm used to adults and children dying but fuck, a peer?

This makes me wonder how long you've been a gamer... I've seen plenty of "kids" die (I mean seriously, that kid looked at least 16 or older)

That kid is my age.

Ironic how I was freaked out by this and I watched Anime with kids my age getting killed (Higurashi for example, and that's crazier.) I've started playing games when my bro go Majora's Mask, so most of my life was video games.

Fummofu wrote:It wasn't gory enough.

I'd say the level of the gore would be to that of Zelda's despite the blood splashing onto other things. I've seen some blood come out of monsters in Zelda before and it was red. Although Ganondorf's was yellow for the sake of an E rating.
-Hippocrates

Postby zepherin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 am

I dunno seams kind of tame to me. Although when compared against games like manhunt or call of cthulu it is less realistic and more cartoony.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:02 pm

That's almost like Zelda in some ways, but there's more blood. Other than that, I agree with you. I've seen blood in Zelda, but they were like paint dots or something and the blood in the game was blue from what I remember.
-Hippocrates

Postby Icha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:18 pm

Man, when is mana pistol coming out?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 am

LOL!

The Heavy and a cube's on the front page today.

EDIT:

HOLY SHIT. It's a Valve crossover! I was just told by GLaDOS to get some stuff from a Companion cube. I wonder If I'll meet the The Heavy soon? EDIT2: I JUST DID. He needs bullets for Sasha while he watches naked ladies.

It's a one day event only by the way.
-Hippocrates

Return to Snafu Gaming