Pokemon Black and White

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Pokemon Black and White

Postby Rival » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:09 am

Got White. Have 3 badges currently. I wrote this in a flash so excuse typos or messed up grammar.

What I like:

TM's are usable an endless amount of times, they don't disappear upon use.

HMs are almost entirely optional. I've only had to cut 1 bush to proceed in the game. HMs are almost only needed for exploration now. HMslaves are pretty much a thing of the past.

Battles and shit take a reasonable amount of time. The animation of the attacks looks better, and takes far less time. and for the first time ever in a pokemon game I can set the text speed to fast and it's actually fast.

The Bicycle is super quick so it isn't tedious to get from one place to another until I get Fly.

The poke mart is inside the pokemon center, they all stock the same items that improve based on the number of badges you have, all of the online stuff is in the same room as everything else.

Higher level pokémon receive less exp from lower level pokémon and vice versa.
In other words, level 20 pkmn KOs level 20 pkmn = 200 exp earned.
level 22 pkmn KOs level 20 pkmn = 190 exp earned(just an example not actual numbers )
Meaning, you can't use just one Pokemon to beat the game anymore(it'd take months). Now you have to train an entire team.

Leveling Pokemon in general, takes less time. Far less grind than in previos games.

The Item finder is actually useful. If stays open on your bottom screen and points in the direction of hidden items when they are nearby. It's hard to describe, finding hidden items takes seconds now.

You can now register multiple items for quick use on the Y-button, not just one.

GameFreak finally realized that people just run back to pokemon centers to heal, so instead almost every route has someone around who will heal you (usually after you defeat them in battle once).

Poison doesn't keep hurting your Pokemon during walking.

Really digging the soundtrack, which I couldn't say about HG/SS. Team Plasma Grunt and N's battle themes are awesome.

I like N and Ghestis as the villains. One well intentioned extremist, and one self-absorbed douchebag,

What I don't like:

I really miss the L=A setting. In the previous games you could just use one hand while you grab a drink, or a snack, or masturbate(while doing the Goldenrod Gym).

Look, Gamefreak, I know that In Japan, the C-Gear would get used all the time, The cities are super tightly packed, there are always people around, and there are a lot more people in an area that play these games openly. But in the Western world, the function won't be popular, so pressing "NO" and "YES" everytime I turn on the game, or soft-reset, is annoying as fuck.

Also, the C-gear screen replaces the menu on the bottom touch-screen. You have to press "X" every time, to open it. I wish you could select which "app" you want down there. Really miss how you had the menu ready to tap at any time like in HG/SS.

The 2nd gym leader is overleveled. She is quite tough if you don't have 2-3 Pokemon at lvl 19, meaning you have to grind a bit, not cool.

Some of the pokemon look like they were made in MS Paint, I've warmed up to most of the designs though.

I don't like the box system. You can't just activate moving Pokemon by pressing Y and then pick up and drop Pokémon in necessary slots like in D/P/Pt. You have to keep confirming with the A button, like in HG/SS.

Dreamworld won't be usable till the end of March.

I don't like the 2 childhood friends/rivals, they keep pestering you a lot and are pretty poor cliches, even for the level of writing of Pokemon.

I haven't tried the Relocator and the Poketransfer, for the latter I need to beat the game first anyway. So no opinion on them.

Overall I really like the games so far, they got rid of many things that made grinding/exploring in the previous games, tedious. The play through feels much smoother.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Re: Pokemon Black and White

Postby Vegedus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I won't be getting it until the 3DS comes out, but I'm really looking forward to it. The general consensus really seem to be that it's the best 'update' yet.

Also, you should update your sig. Pokemaster... No more.

For now.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Rival » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Vegedus wrote:Also, you should update your sig. Pokemaster... No more.

In Johto I still am one. >_>
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:06 pm

And I'm sure Unova gives less than a crap :D

Postby Sentios » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Higher level pokémon receive less exp from lower level pokémon and vice versa.
In other words, level 20 pkmn KOs level 20 pkmn = 200 exp earned.
level 22 pkmn KOs level 20 pkmn = 190 exp earned(just an example not actual numbers )
Meaning, you can't use just one Pokemon to beat the game anymore(it'd take months). Now you have to train an entire team.

Leveling Pokemon in general, takes less time. Far less grind than in previos games.

Not sure how the first thing results in less grind... do the wild and trainer pokemon scale? Otherwise it'll just end up with beating the elite four 7 million times.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Morpheus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Just got it yesterday.
Beat my first gym.

Postby Icha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:58 pm

I tried to do a nuzlock run, the lilipup I named after a member of my TF2 clan died to a crit, and the weed mouse died because apparently I was too cheap to use a potion. I noticed the gym leader noticed my pokemon type, meaning he's going to pick whatever I'm weak to. I try to go to a new route to catch a pokemon without breaking the rules, but this old man won't let me until I fight the gym leader. Le Gasp.
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Rival » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 am

Sentios wrote:Not sure how the first thing results in less grind... do the wild and trainer pokemon scale?

They do scale.

Postby WiNg0o » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:27 pm

I finally got the game and I went with the female character for the first time. Moe trucker hat girl all the way.

I Killed the Boss

Postby zepherin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:22 pm

WiNg0o wrote:I finally got the game and I went with the female character for the first time. Moe trucker hat girl all the way.

Good god does she have cut off shorts with her pockets coming out from underneath? This isn't Pokemon Unova, this is Pokemon Alabama.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby WiNg0o » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm

I still think she is great. Though thats not to say that the male character isn't pretty good, he is definitely miles better than lord beret.

Also the beginning to the game makes the whole morality of the pokemon universe a bit more obscure. "Children are supposed to be out adventuring in the world."
I Killed the Boss

Postby Vegedus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Since the worst that can happen to them is getting a black out (or is it a white-out nowadays? I forget), it's mostly safe, and I see no reason they shouldn't. It's like a rite of passage in the poke world.

Postby narutodesu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Cept when you white out you're apparently mugged and lose a buncha money. Can't blame them for that though. You go around mugging everyone after beating up their pets.

Postby Mathias » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Just wait until all of the Pokemon rise up and seek vengeance upon their "masters."

Postby Rival » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:11 am

Mathias wrote:Just wait until all of the Pokemon rise up and seek vengeance upon their "masters."

The plot of B/W is pretty much that the main antagonist is surprised this hasn't happened yet.

Postby Mathias » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:12 am

So does he try to instigate it?

Postby Rival » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Mathias wrote:So does he try to instigate it?

Nah he wants to free them from being trained.

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Lol, I made the first rival (er, the rival that counterpicks you) unnecessarily hard on myself, since I only powerleveled my starter ww.

Snivy is such a magnificent bastard. Dat fucking expression.

Can anyone tell me whether I can get a Magikarp before Elite Four? I almost always get a Gyarados, but if it's going to take that long to get one, I'll need to find something to fit into the slot until then.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Afternoon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Still having a tough time deciding on a starter.
I like Snivy's speed and appearance, but Oshawott's got better stats for my play style.

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm a vanity player. I pick a nickname+trainer name theme for my final 6, and just roll at it by color coordination and design strength.

I only got this gen because of that one pokemon who is a collection of machine gears.

Postby Rival » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Jay wrote:Can anyone tell me whether I can get a Magikarp before Elite Four? I almost always get a Gyarados, but if it's going to take that long to get one, I'll need to find something to fit into the slot until then.

You get to buy one at Marvelous Bridge, that's post Elite Four sadly. Only Unova Pokemon till then.

Since you mentioned the Snivy look, I'm loving my Krokorok, that "I'm not fucking impressed" sprite's just awesome.

Afternoon wrote:Still having a tough time deciding on a starter.
I like Snivy's speed and appearance, but Oshawott's got better stats for my play style.

I picked Oshawott for the Samurott stats.

Postby Jay » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:55 am

I don't think I remember another time when the grass starter was more useless at an Electric gym as it is in this one.

In fact, thinking about the starters in general, you might as well not bring them, right?

Holy crap @ volt switch spam

Postby Rival » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:40 am

Jay wrote:In fact, thinking about the starters in general, you might as well not bring them, right?

For that specific Gym or in general? In that specific Gym, yes. Grass starter is the worse pick stat wise by far though.

I just owned Elesa with Zebstrika and Sandile. Didn't find her hard.

Postby Jay » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:49 am

Well, I was probably just underleveled.

Volt Switch OHKO'd basically every pokemon I had except for Snivy and Sandile.

And Snivy got OHKO'd by either Fire Charge or Aerial Ace.

Mudslap won't work on either of the Emolgas, and Assurance is only 10PP lol. I still got through it somehow, thanks to Embargo making sure she didn't super potion (and make winning impossible due to inadequate PP), a huge stack of Super Potion/Fresh Waters, and Torment making sure that the Zebstrika/Emolga could only use the move that did 30% of Sandile's HP only every other turn >_>

That said, no chance anyone has a female Emolga lying around up for trade? And/or a female Audino, for that matter. I've honestly never seen a shaking grass in my Black life =_=

*you'd also have to tweak their names, cause I have specific nicknames in mind, and I would not be able to change them lol

Postby Rival » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:03 am

I have an Audino, level 14, but it's male. Could still rename and trade it if you want. Though not right now, since my DSi is charging and the cable is too short.

Don't have an Emolga.

EDIT

Actually just tell me the names you want for both and your Friend code so I can add you to my Pal Pad, and if I get any of the 2 I'll name them properly and let you know via PM or this thread.

My Friend-Code in White: 3868-7403-0898

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion