Dis·gust (diss gúst) - strong disapproval or revulsion

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Dis·gust (diss gúst) - strong disapproval or revulsion

Postby zepherin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Rival wrote:Basically, I'm annoyed that in today's world they have success with the way he's marketed.

Actually this brings up a very good intellectual point that I would like to delve into as a concept in itself and possibly derail the thread as a result.

That is computer science students and really programmers and video game developers tend to forget how important marketing and management is to a successful project. A mediocre game with good marketing (Medal of Honor) will sell better than a great game with crap marketing (Vampire:Bloodlines) and developers fucking hate that, and that because they are a brilliant programmer does not mean they are good at business and marketing. Marketing is more than buzz words and force feeding crap to people. Bad marketing is all of that but good marketing has finesse and takes skill.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:47 pm

An effeminate 16ish year old boy who sings mushy love songs that aren't too explicit and 10-14 year old girls aren't supposed to love it? Did I miss a memo here?
I AM THE GOSHDARN BATMAN
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Frankly, the ones hatin' are above the age quo. I just find it funny people hatin' Bieber. They should be hatin' Paris Hilton more for the cunt/scant/whore she is. Bieber hasn't done controversial (yet).

@Zeph: People tend to underestimate the importance of good marketing in a product. Well, they're not businessmen, they're just consumers. Marketing guides consumers into buying a product. With that, one reason I can think of is people are just annoyed at how much they're exposed to the way the product is presented (see Bieber)--rather than the person himself.

And Fanboys will be Fanboys.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Vegedus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 am

We've hated plenty on Paris Hilton. Been there, South Park that. But she's hardly in the media anymore. She hasn't gotten any skankier since the last time we hated on her.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:38 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Bieber hasn't done controversial (yet).

So what? You can dislike a person for being marketed on purpose as bland and vanilla. In fact, blandness coupled with success annoys me way more than any form of "controversy".

zepherin wrote:Bad marketing is all of that but good marketing has finesse and takes skill.

I'm still allowed to dislike a product even if it takes effort to create it. Especially, if the product surrounds me without me actively seeking it out.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Well, if it does that, arguably they've done their jobs as marketers, lol
みんなのモデレーターToastCrustだよ★
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | Tumblr | MAL

Postby Glahardt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:People tend to underestimate the importance of good marketing in a product.
You know what has good marketing?
Minecraft and Monday Night Combat.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:24 pm

My English class was talking about Bieber's Never Say Never movie during a lesson that involved a NY times article about it. I have a bit of sympathy for Bieber because of all the goddamn hate that spreading around. I feel sorry for him too because I listen to a bit of one song, and he sounds so selfish, which also reminds me of the drugs cars money sex rap shit on the radio.

Still not going to defend him though. All this hate about him turned into a debate. About his fame and all that stuff I guess. It makes sense at least because we'll forget he happened sooner or later.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Postby Vegedus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:10 am

Glahardt wrote:
Kusang_Manalo wrote:People tend to underestimate the importance of good marketing in a product.
You know what has good marketing?
Minecraft and Monday Night Combat.

I dunno if I'd call 'word of mouth' marketing. It's the best kind of advertisement there is, but also the hardest to create artificially (marketing = artificial). In the case of Minecraft, it seems to stem from innovative and immersive gameplay, which is one of the better reasons for a game to be known.

... So I disagree semantically, but agree with your point.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby zepherin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 am

Vegedus wrote:I dunno if I'd call 'word of mouth' marketing. It's the best kind of advertisement there is, but also the hardest to create artificially (marketing = artificial). In the case of Minecraft, it seems to stem from innovative and immersive gameplay, which is one of the better reasons for a game to be known.

... So I disagree semantically, but agree with your point.

Word of mouth marketing (WOMM it even has an accronym) can be an effective form of advertisement. And companies have viral campaigns that work off this concept they pay billions to do it. An example of this are companies that pay "hot women" to go to bars, act flirty order specific drinks in a specific way, then talk about specific movies and music before moving on to another bar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_marketing. There are risks but word of mouth tends to be more credible than adds on tv or internet, however with a word of mouth campaign it can cost a million dollars to get the word out to 30 or 40 thousand people. If it does not go viral that money is wasted, generally they go in the thousands of dollars and get the word out to hundreds of people and hope it goes viral that way. On the other hand half a million dollars can get the word out to 20 million people. If that money is spent well and hits the target demographic you can look at 10 million potential customers out of the mix. Maybe 30 percent actually look into the product and half buy. So for 1.5 million sales. If it is a video game that is good ad money spent. Internet is the cheapest advertisement, but it lacks credibility. Nobody believes internet ads. So the more credible the ads the more expensive they are to utilize and the less coverage you get.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Mr. Froggy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:23 pm

I just want to say that when I left for bootcamp, there was no such thing as Justin Bieber. After bootcamp, his face was on the cover of life mag. Two months and this kid pops out of nowhere all the way to prime time. I just thought it wierd.
"An honest man is one who knows that he can't consume more than he has produced"
Ayn Rand -Atlas Shrugged-

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion