(DinosaurPirate) Elementia Chronicles

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: (DinosaurPirate) Elementia Chronicles

Postby DinosaurPirate » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Postby DinosaurPirate » Sun May 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Postby DinosaurPirate » Sun May 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Postby sam4books » Sun May 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Lol, the random black guy just made my day xD
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Chuckledarkly » Mon May 31, 2010 9:51 am

:up: aww you beat me to it! but ya total props for the random guy xD
Check Out My Art

-----> viewtopic.php?t=23012Cheak <-----

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Postby DinosaurPirate » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Well now. That took me long enough.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 am

Oh, hey, I remember you :D. And yeah, a bit under a yeah is long enough :P
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:42 am

Yay! You're back! :P
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby DinosaurPirate » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:37 pm

I've already posted about this on deviantart, but the reboot is, in fact, in the works. Due to how little relevance the Elementia stones have at first, the reboot will treat Part 1 as it's own story and will be known as Blackwell Chronicles.

One of the biggest problems I've had with redesigning the characters for Blackwell Chronicles is actually one I've only begun thinking about recently: aesthetic vs. practicality.

The previous few attempts had him wearing a more elaborate hooded outfit. While that looked pretty cool at the time, I've had like nine months to contemplate how fucking stupid it is.

While still fantasy, the setting is more akin to 1940's London. There's no reason for someone to wear such a bizarre getup, especially not someone who's supposed to be only thinking of revenge. He looked too neat and clean, not like someone who's been through hell for the past six years. Perceval doesn't care about his appearance. He hasn't just been dicking around for 6 years. He's been locked up; he was told his brother was dead. He's been lied to and treated like a ticking time bomb while his brother has been living in freedom. He's got nothing left, and isn't about to waste his time worrying about fashion.

So I got rid of the makeup. Instead, the dark rings around his eyes are from lack of sleep (he's incapable of it). His hair is long, tangled, and filthy. His clothing is stained and worn, likely found in someone's trash. He has a disheveled look about him. His overall appearance is more reminiscent of how he originally appeared in EC than any subsequent redesigns. He differs from the original in more than just appearance, but I'm going to keep quiet about that for now.

Sometimes, simpler is better.

Postby Vegedus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:49 am

Yeah, it probably is.

Though, the dark area around his eyes still kinda look like makeup. I thinks it's because they have a purple tint, try using black instead.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DinosaurPirate » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Out of all the characters, Kurika was the easiest to redesign. There were two issues I had with her in EC: her characterization, and the fact that she didn't look like a homeless person.

Now, Kurika's been the most popular character for a long time. People love Kurika, so you may be wondering what issue I could possibly have with her characterization. Well, the problem is that she's too friendly. Now before you start bringing up her aggressive attitude, let me explain what I mean.

Kurika's been on her own for a long time. Most people who see her avoid her, and if someone says anything to her it's more than likely going to be an insult. Nobody helps her, and she's had little human interaction for years. All this in addition to her own traumatic past. So the notion that she would warm up to Riser so quickly is preposterous, as is the notion that she could function alongside others.

In Blackwell Chronicles, she's considerably more quiet. While still aggressive and sarcastic, she's more cautious and passive. She's also slightly unhinged. If she feels threatened, she'll lash out. She does not like to be touched, regardless of intent. When Riser saves her, she's frightened of him and refuses to speak. A large part of the story will focus on her friendship with Riser, and how they positively influence eachother. Through Riser, she changes for the better and learns to trust people again.

As for her appearance, she always looked too clean before. Much like with Perceval, she needed to look dirty and disheveled. She shouldn't be pretty. She needed to look like someone you'd probably avoid if you passed on the street, but still have a sort of charm about her.

Postby DinosaurPirate » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:23 am

With Riser, the outfit was the easy part. I'd already had it in mind from the get-go, and it was just a matter of drawing it properly. Still undecided on the jacket color, though I'm partial to the blue.

The hardest part was actually the hair. In EC, his hair looks incredibly stupid. I wanted to give his hair a natural look, so I tried a lot of different looks for it, eventually ending up with something that looks similar to before without being nearly as ridiculous.

The tricky thing about Riser is that he looks unassuming at first, but under his clothing he's well-built. He needs to have a warm and approachable look to him, but also look like he can kick ass if he needs to. He should look unremarkable, but attractive.

Postby DinosaurPirate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Kai was one of the harder ones. The hair was easy... I had that in mind for a while now. The issue was his clothing. Should he wear clothing appropriate to the current time period, or to his own? He needed a unique look that set him apart from the others without seeming too out of place. At first I tried an outfit similar to the one he wore as a prince. It looked nice, yes, but it would make him stick out like a sore thumb.

I tried clothing more appropriate to the 1940's-esque setting, but it just didn't suit him well at all. Just like with Perceval though, I began to consider practicality. Kai is a warrior, and he would need clothing that doesn't restrict his movement. That said, he IS a bit vain, so he would want something fashionable as well. On top of that, it needed to look like something people might wear in his own time period, but still fit the aesthetic of the contemporary world. Ultimately, I ended up with an outfit based on what he wore in Part 1 of EC. I'm still undecided on the color scheme.

Postby Morpheus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:14 pm

I like it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DinosaurPirate » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Steel was another one where I more or less knew what I wanted to do from the beginning. He's never been a particularly interesting character in EC. Really, he's never done much besides look weird and yell a lot, so I needed to do something about that.

The most obvious difference is a full mechanical arm instead of that metal hand he had in EC. I went through a lot of different looks for it; I'll admit that I'm not the best when it comes to drawing mechanical stuff though, I apologize for this not looking as good as the past few pics. Steel's arm is rather heavy, so he's pretty muscular. It's somewhat cumbersome, but powerful; it snaps into a punch quickly, like a jackhammer, and is strong enough to break concrete. However, it overheats easily, and needs to be vented out periodically.

The other big change was his face. I needed to make him look more human, so I gave him normal eyes, got rid of his fangs, and gave him eyebrows. Even in EC, he's not really evil... he's just the product of his environment. So I needed to give him a look that could still be imposing without looking too monstrous.

Postby DinosaurPirate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:25 am

This was a fun one. Now, first of all, Dagonet likely won't appear in Blackwell Chronicles unless it's for a small cameo to help set up part 2. Part Two would again be titled Elementia Chronicles, and have a greater emphasis on fantasy. So with characters like Dagonet, sometimes simpler ISN'T better.

I was never pleased with how he looked in EC. I love the character himself, but his outfit wasn't particularly interesting to look at. But again, the reboot is a bit more grounded in reality, so I really had to consider whether or not Dagonet should still be a jester at all. So I tried a few things that kept the jester theme without him actually being a jester, but eventually decided "fuck it, it's fantasy and Dagon's crazy".

Still, he needed to fit the aesthetic of the world they live in. I tried to give him an outfit that not only fit him as a jester, but wouldn't look too out of place alongside everyone else.

Postby DinosaurPirate » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:13 am

Postby DinosaurPirate » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Weaponry is another area where aesthetic vs. practicality comes into play. Here we've got two different pistols, one in a very steampunk style and one considerably more plain. The top one is based off a LeMat Revolver, and the bottom one is based off a Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.

In this case, both of these will probably find their way into the comic.

Postby Morpheus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Looks good.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DinosaurPirate » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 am

At first, I was going to give Aurora the same outfit she had in EC, because I have no problem with it. But I needed to think about what kind of environment she lives in. She lives in the woods... she needs something more earthy, without making her look like a farmer or something. I ended up with this.

I also gave her more of a silver hair color, cause y'know... fuck blue hair.

Postby DinosaurPirate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Postby DinosaurPirate » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Postby DinosaurPirate » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 pm

I wasn't happy with how he looked before, so I redid Steel. The only major differences are the addition of more piercings and tattoos.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 am

I like it, more badass.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DinosaurPirate » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Art