I've finally finished the Marathon Trilogy. *LONG POST*

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

I've finally finished the Marathon Trilogy. *LONG POST*

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm

(Subtitled, A Marathon Review)

After relentless weeks of constant frustration, I've finished all three games.

First thing that needs to be said: Yes, it's better than Halo. All the stuff that makes this game makes this game; it's the first game to include Mouse Look (You can look all directions, up, down, left, right, unlike Wolfenstein, which although does have mouse look before Marathon existed, it's not the first game to include because you can only look left and right), the first game also before COD to include a weapon with two functions (The MA-75 and the S'pht MA-75B is a Automatic Machine gun that comes with a built-in Grenade Launcher), it has an intricate plot that doesn't have cliche elements, wonderful characters (especially Durandal and the Security Officer, who's past is the freakiest I've ever read through the terminals), features that are innovative and have so much to offer, and most of all, the privilege to experience the wonders of orbital bombardment aka fun.

Secondly, I had no actual expectations at first when I got Marathon. But when I heard it was better than Halo, which I mentioned previously that it was, I had to try Marathon out. I thought at first that I never knew Marathon since I 'discovered' it, but it turns out that I knew about this game for...about...4 years. I think it was through finding out some information about Halo 3's armor permutation, among them being the Security Officer variant, which was actually based on the Security Officer's Mjolnir Mark IV suit.

Third, I also found out that more than the Marathon logo was put into Halo; the simulacrums may have been the basis for the suicide Grunts that run to you in Halo 3 and Reach. Simulacrums do that too. The Hunters in the game had a cannon and a shield that reminded me of the shield that Halo's Hunters had for defense, and a quote, "THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!" was put into Halo as well. Oh, and let's not forget the origin of Master Chief's ID number. 117x7=819, which refer to the initials H (The 8th letter in the alphabet) and S (The 19th letter in the alphabet.) The initials stand for Hamish Sinclair, a guy who did a whole lot for the Marathon community, and was given tribute in a secret level in the first game called, 'Hats off to Eight Nineteen'.

This review is a bit clumsy, so I'll get to the chase: the trilogy basically is about a Cyborg who finds out that the UESC (Unified Earth Space Council) Marathon and ends up fighting against aliens, which all changes when Durandal gets him to do what he wants. And then, Tycho comes in by M2:D and by M3:I, he forces him to kill humans known as BOBs (Born on Board. On the bright side, BOBs are fun to kill.) The plot gets twisted and becomes disturbing all thanks to Tycho, Leela, and Durandal.

I'll try not to spoil anything other than that. Now let's start with the cons of the game before I get to the pros:

Cons:

-Physics. Seriously. I had a problem with Physics in Reach, right until I finally learned how to drive a warthog and not let it flip over upon landing. Now I'm having a problem just moving around in this game. YOU BOUNCE LIKE A BALL. You can't die from high places but YOU BOUNCE LIKE A BALL.

-While I was playing, I had trouble getting through some places because friendly NPCs wouldn't move out of the way. So what did I do? Shoot them. Sometimes, I end up dying because some are armed. This problem is more apparent in the first Marathon game.

-Now someone mentioned from GameSpot I think: No reload button. I purposely have to waste my magazine to reload because there's little left for me to use. I end up reloading at the wrong time because there are enemies surrounding me and I also end up getting cornered and not being able to get out. So I agree with that reviewer.

Now with the Pros:

-By Marathon 2, Bungie no longer composes music for the game. One reason I know is that they did it to make Marathon a bit horrific. The default brightness for the game is actually dark rather than normal.

-I get to be in vacuum for the first time. Yippee. Yeah sometime later when you play M3:I, Tycho will hate you so much that he'll send you in the middle of space. And then Durandal brings you back inside.

-A wide array of weapons: A Magnum Mega Class Pistol that can be dual wielded with another pistol, the MA-75/MA-75B Assault Rifle (Sound familiar?) with a Grenade Launcher attachment, the Zeus Class Fusion Pistol/S'pht Fusion Pistol (This weapon is like the Plasma Pistol from Halo), Dual wield-able WSTE-M5 Combat Shotguns (M2:D and M3:I only, no appearance in M1), the SPNKR SSM Launcher (with a head like Halo's Rocket Launcher), a TOZT-7 Backpack Napalm Unit aka Flamethrower, a KKV-7 10mm SMG Flechette (Marathon's SMG), and two Alien weapons, one that works like a Machine gun, and one that shoots bullets and burns enemies.

-I have not been able to play Marathon's Multiplayer, but I though this was cool. Some of the game modes in this game were put into Halo too. I was awed at the fact that Oddball existed in the game in the form of 'Kill the Man With the Ball' (You hold a skull just like Halo's Oddball.) King of the Hill is in this game too, even a Firefight mode called . Vidmaster challenges also existed back then.

-I especially love this feature: using the F keys 6-8, you can zoom in, switch between 1st and 3rd Person, and toggle on or off the reticule. There was no reticule back then. Although I think this just goes for the AlephOne version.

-More pros than cons so far, good! Now Marathon also had Forge, although this focuses on making levels rather than multiplayer, and it came with another tool called Anvil. I haven't messed around with these yet since I just finished the trilogy today.

It's also a good thing that I'm doing this because this is technically my homework as well, but let's move on.

My overall score for this game. Some people score it around 8-9 from the reviews I've seen so far, but I have to give this game a 10. This game proves that you do not need cool characters like Johnson to have an awesome game. This game is also easier to understand than Halo, and I think Marathon will always be Bungie's finest work. They did a lot of things first back then, which was a big contribution to the the gaming community alongside Outlaw's ability to have a scope zoom (Outlaws did that first). Retro FPS shooters were more innovative back then in my opinion, and Marathon is one fine example.

In conclusion, I praised this game a bit more than I was supposed to. To be honest, I didn't have much to gripe about. Windows may have had an addicting shooter like Doom, but Mac had a game with a completely different approach (Yeah, Mac users didn't have a fun game like Doom to play until Marathon.) But I have to say, this game is better than Doom anytime.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Re: I've finally finished the Marathon Trilogy. *LONG POST*

Postby DaCrum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:56 am

Also, Marathon was THE FIRST online multiplayer game. Aaaand the best multiplayer in existence is 5D on Durandal.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Okay, so I've been doing some work with Marathon's graphics. Apparently, I found out today that people in the Marathon community made HD textures to make the game look much better compared to its pixelated counterpart.

As of now, I have updated the graphics for all three games. However, the second game can also be patched to look like its XBLA counterpart, which is pretty cool too. I already have a second M2 with a hud like the XBLA counterpart. The community did a good job with revamping the game.

I got the textures from this site: http://www.simplici7y.com/

Here are some screenshots from one of the contributors:
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby Thunderbolt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 am

Good job on beating it. Marathon is one of my all time favorites. So many years playing those games as a kid.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

I played Marathon's multiplayer last night. It's way more intense than Halo's Multiplayer. I'm happy that I didn't miss out on this opportunity.
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby Cascade » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Marathon's old gameplay was very fun.
Mouselook was added with Aleph one though, wasn't it?
I used to play with my dad on our office network in deathmatch, but we went out of sync a lot due to the way it was set up.

I think the monster design and textures aged really well. Bungie has a good eye for unique designs.
And yeah, Bobjams were pretty annoying in MM1. I'd usually punch them to death because back then they were all helpless, but you always had to look out for that one Bob in Green that yells "Thank God it's you!"
FUKKATSU

Postby skyline1241 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Cascade wrote:Marathon's old gameplay was very fun.
Mouselook was added with Aleph one though, wasn't it?
I used to play with my dad on our office network in deathmatch, but we went out of sync a lot due to the way it was set up.

I think the monster design and textures aged really well. Bungie has a good eye for unique designs.
And yeah, Bobjams were pretty annoying in MM1. I'd usually punch them to death because back then they were all helpless, but you always had to look out for that one Bob in Green that yells "Thank God it's you!"

I also think so.

Postby DaCrum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Don't forget "Frogblast the vent core!"
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:33 am

I can't tell Simulacrums from bobs unless I shoot a bullet. Just one Yellow sprout and that's it.

But BOBs are fun to destroy...especially when you burn them.
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Return to Snafu Gaming