The Way of the Sword

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Way of the Sword

Postby Xi-1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am

HiAndromon wrote:Oh no, robot monsters! Only one man is powerful enough to protect the people! Dexter's Magic Uncle Fergel O'Reilly!
Kidding, Jacks going to go to town on them.
But does anyone remember him? I mean Dexter has an Irish Magic uncle, you think people would remember that?

I must have missed that episode, although it's been a long time since I've seen any 'Dexter's Lab.' But yes, magic would seem to be the most effective tool against a robot army. Since Dexter's uncle has magic, does he have any, or does his strict belief in Science render him fully Mundane? Would a 'Technomage Dexter' even still be considered as 'Dexter' by his fans?

The again, he HAS seen DeeDee as an angel. What does Science say about the Way of the DeeDee?
A Page Flipper

Postby Riz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:36 pm

pwned-by-twilight wrote:And you still haven't explained yourself! What sort of magical entity has turned you and Bloodlord into horses of your former selves!

pay attention to threads non-bleedman related. THERE'S A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE.

(if you still haven't gotten the message, go look at the threads in Bleedforum)
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:33 pm

But I rarely pay attention to such things... I don't know why. I... think I'll try and go look that up now.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Xi-1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 am

Are there any other 'Dexter's Lab' characters that are given surnames (apart from the Astronomonovs)? I doubt Dexter's is 'O'Reilly' like his uncle's. I did not find any information suggesting otherwise, but I'd say Dad and Mom have it even worse -- like Timmy Turner's parents they HAVE no names.
A Page Flipper

Postby BradaoOfCartha » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 pm

No they have names. Shown in the episode where Timmy goes back in time to stop his dad from getting a trophy. He said "my real name is-" but then a loud noise kept him from being heard then he said 'but everybody calls me dad." Same thing with his mom.
Hey everybody, PandaBrady here, with more roleplaying!

Also, please support Monty Oum, his work is amazing, especially RWBY. I wish I was that good.

Postby TheGlowing » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Are you never gonna get back to what happened to Jenny. :'(

Postby Spoopy Princess » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:04 pm

It's Sugar Bits month. Wait until March. And let the story progress, there's other shit going on than just Jenny.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby 101blossombrick4ever » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 am

like it,love it,superrrr amazing!!!
BLOSSOMXBRICK4EVER!

Postby Madangeragex » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm

1)Whats going on Bleedman isn't adding new pages on PPGD o.O

2)Whats with this horse fetish its weird not to mention creepy looks like people doing shroom :unsure:

Postby Unlimited » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Didn't you know?
Bleedman died from a heart attack.
This comic's dead, man.
They're all dead.

Someone else from the team is taking over now.
I hope that person is better than Bleedman.
Memento mori

Postby Madangeragex » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Sure whatever helps you sleep at night :roll:

I really believe you in you Unlimited 8)

Postby Unlimited » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm

To answer your question above...
It's Sugar Bits month.

Now go wait a month if you don't like Sugar Bits.
Memento mori

Postby HiAndromon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Xi-1 wrote:
HiAndromon wrote:Oh no, robot monsters! Only one man is powerful enough to protect the people! Dexter's Magic Uncle Fergel O'Reilly!
Kidding, Jacks going to go to town on them.
But does anyone remember him? I mean Dexter has an Irish Magic uncle, you think people would remember that?

I must have missed that episode, although it's been a long time since I've seen any 'Dexter's Lab.' But yes, magic would seem to be the most effective tool against a robot army. Since Dexter's uncle has magic, does he have any, or does his strict belief in Science render him fully Mundane? Would a 'Technomage Dexter' even still be considered as 'Dexter' by his fans?

The again, he HAS seen DeeDee as an angel. What does Science say about the Way of the DeeDee?

I don't know If Dexter will attain magic now or ever. But his uncle does have magic, to prove this he made DeeDee reappear after Dexter made her disappear.Then immediatley made her disappear when she wouldn't stop talking, said he did the same thing to his sisters when he was Dexters age.

Xi-1 wrote:Are there any other 'Dexter's Lab' characters that are given surnames (apart from the Astronomonovs)? I doubt Dexter's last name is 'O'Reilly' like his uncle's. I did not find any information suggesting otherwise, but I'd say Dad and Mom have it even worse -- like Timmy Turner's parents they HAVE no names.

I don't think Dexter's last name is O'Reilly, pretty sure Fergel O'Reilly came from his mother's side of the family(Just I guess because of all the red hair).Which begs the question about his super scientist Grandfather(now retired) having a son who specializes in magic(wasn't it implied he engineered Dexter's Mom?). Is Magic Uncle Fergel O'Reilly! a genius in magic? Does he have a family?Does that mean Dexter may have a magic Irish cousin? I think so, because someone keeps turning the text in my reply's Green and I don't think Dexter's Magic Uncle Fergel O'Reilly! use's the internet?

Postby BeeAre » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 am

that's cute but knock it off.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 pm

All this talk of magic is just making me appreciate my love of swords all that more... I can't wait for a good sword fight. But then again with Licorice polling out her own "cane blade", I might not have to wait a whole month for one 8D
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Guardian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Wait. When did Dexter see DeeDee as an angel?
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Xi-1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Wait. When did Dexter see DeeDee as an angel?

Maybe I'm thinking of the game on Newgrounds. I forgot it was Blossom who saw DeeDee when she died. Dex is too good for Mandark to have driven him that close to death.

I'm thinking that because there's magic in Dexter's family line (might also have something to do with the Way of the DeeDee) that he does have some magic, even if it's been dormant so far. That would be because Dexter's obsessed with the scientific side of things. If he applied himself, he could be as powerful in magic as he is with science, and therefore a Technomancer or Technomage.

Maybe Bell should drive Blossom into a tight corner so Dexter can pull out a 'Lightning Axe.' Or just make her power stutter long enough for Blossom to regroup. In either case, Dexter needs a teacher and some time to study. Negi would be best, but I suppose he'll have to settle for Uncle Fergie.

EDIT: I just checked to be sure that it was Blossom who met DeeDee, whose legs are really really long, by the way. She's probably the only one other than Mandy who has Grim wrapped around her little finger, and from the other end of the Dark-Light spectrum, at that. If you were wondering what Dexter was busy doing, he was trying to resuscitate Blossom the whole time. That left him pretty preoccupied, and he seemed unaware of the souls in the room anyway.

DeeDee did some foreshadowing by saying she'd be back. Hmm. Insert evil laugh.
A Page Flipper

Postby Guardian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:00 am

Despite whatever lineage Dexter had, I can promise you that magic will not play a part in him. He already has super smarts, he doesn't need another power, especially one that conflicts with the standards in this universe.

We could argue the idea that magical blood can be deluded by passing generations until it disappears entirely, or that it can slowly fade in and out of generations.

So stop pushing it.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby BeeAre » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:57 am

bleedman drew that during his everyone is megaman legs phase.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby luckystar67644 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:18 am

this really shows how buttercup feels but come on with the next one!!

Postby Riz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 am

just wait until next month. this is SB month.
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Xi-1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Despite whatever lineage Dexter had, I can promise you that magic will not play a part in him. He already has super smarts, he doesn't need another power, especially one that conflicts with the standards in this universe.

We could argue the idea that magical blood can be deluded by passing generations until it disappears entirely, or that it can slowly fade in and out of generations.

So stop pushing it.

I guess magic would be too much of an easy out against mechanical enemies. Sorry if pushing it as a possibility for future use seemed a little much. It would take too long for him to learn to control it anyway, as long as it has to matter here. I'm still just surprised he hasn't pulled out any gadgets yet. Where are they all?

As a final aside on magic and blood, I do not think a single generation would be enough of a dilution, especially if the Way of the DeeDee has its own magic link -- and I'd remind you that DeeDee taught Dexter some of it. The stronger argument is that Dexter wouldn't think to use Magic because he is a Man of Science.

Jack, on the other hand, has an enchanted katana, 'though his skills are often more than enough. I'm still trying to get around the fact that while Bubbles is evacuating her friends, Blossom is the only one doing any actual fighting. It seems the plan to evac will quickly have to turn into a counterattack unless more people want to join X-5 and Sparky in the ranks of the downed. Oh wait, that would mean we get to see Grim again.

Megaman legs? No, not everyone. Blossom's were pretty much her normal length, although I do remember somewhere where the Girls had long legs too. Early on, I think.
A Page Flipper

Postby BeeAre » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:40 pm

megaman legs are not always an issue of length.

in this world, both magic and science must exist to their fullest, but it is dangerous to let the two intermingle from merely the perspective of storytelling. If you begin to make distinctions where they aren't needed, the rules become complicated and irritating to the average person who wants to see robots or wizards blowing each other up in righteous fire/bullet hazes.
BR

Postby Xi-1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:24 am

BeeAre wrote:megaman legs are not always an issue of length.

in this world, both magic and science must exist to their fullest, but it is dangerous to let the two intermingle from merely the perspective of storytelling. If you begin to make distinctions where they aren't needed, the rules become complicated and irritating to the average person who wants to see robots or wizards blowing each other up in righteous fire/bullet hazes.

You mean the shape too?

Magic and tech are rarely if ever mutually exclusive, but different ways of accomplishing 'miracles' that are often similar or the same. Probably the most popular example right now comes from 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice,' where the protagonist can harness electricity through both means using either his ring as a spell medium or the all-important Tesla coil. Certainly to some people flicking a light switch can be as 'magical' as using an incantus like 'Lux' or 'Lumos.'

Of course, whether a writer will choose between magic and tech depends on the individual style, as well as the universe or universes within which they are writing. In some cases, the longer the continuity the more likely it seems both will come into play if the author started with only one. You and the others are already working in a world where the existence of both have been in play at one time or another, so science and magic are already present as forces and influences. Which gets used will probably depend most upon what the character is likely to do, and desperate moments often call for unlikely resources. Why a desperate moment? Because stories are driven best, and most interesting, with heightened conflict. For those reading, that means it's likely things will get as bad as they can before they get better. That's the way I would do it, especially when you're in a depth arc of events.

Of course, Team Bleedman have already demonstrated their skills and their abilities to defy all expectations, while also presenting the story in an enjoyable manner. Apart from engaging discussions I'll just stand back now. Unless you don't think of me as a backseat driver.
A Page Flipper

Postby BeeAre » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I think of you as somebody who writes a lot of words on the subject of the comic. You vie with me (The Writer Of PpGD™) on word count.

You have to understand my position on the comic: The plot can be dangly and complicated, but I am against this notion of being subtle with subtlety for the purposes of this website. While it can be neat, it is more-often irritating because it never means anything at the time. I prefer to bash people over the head with the idea that subtlety is being put into play. I prefer a scavenger hunt of Where's Waldo to a trigonometry telemetric retroactive ballet. Especially given the audience.

Don't try to overthink things. You make my job harder and your expectations unreasonable. :O

I'm not chastising you exactly, I'm just making sure you're with me here: The comic's details as they have not been revealed are obvious in that they need to be revealed.

While I won't shy away from making the comic's plot meatier than it has been, I'm not going to deceive you while I do it. :x
BR

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!