• Basic Premise:
• Theme: Science Fiction/Fantasy
• Summary: A diligent crew on a top of the line military ship travel the galaxy doing the Galactic Federations bidding.
• Setting: The Milky Way Galaxy, around 3187.
• Planets, stations, systems, and stars:
Earth: Earth is currently stuck in a perpetual cold war between the magic-oriented Mage's Union, and the technologically-oriented Totalitarian States of Amerika. Divided into North and South, there is always a unsettling fear of nuclear missiles, plasma glassings, and magical catastrophes.
Catastrosphere: A ‘world’ just off of Earth, and the capital of the Mage's Union, the Catastrosphere is what the Cataclysm produced. It is the source of all the magic used by humans, and glows a faint blue. The planet itself has a varying geography, from large seas filled with floating cities populated by water mages, to majestic mountains made of living steel, home to earth mages, to the immense capital city of New Earth. Despite what many believe, the Sphere itself is not made of discernible material, but more of a sort of solidified energy. Some conspiracists believe that the mysterious matrix that holds the Sphere together could one day fail.
Alpha Centauri-3: The capital of the Galactic Federation, and the Trader's Bureau. It is the galaxy's major import and export zone, and one of the most well defended points in the galaxy. The planet itself is completely covered in urbanization, and has had incredible pollution problems in recent years. Most people also use AC-3 to refer to several large space stations that continue to house the ever growing population of AC-3.
Necrus: A mostly uninhabited system on the fringes of the galaxy. The Necrus system is lit by a mostly quiet white dwarf that allowed for some extremely dangerous creatures to grow. These creatures, commonly called Grues or Kryll, are nocturnal, are deadly weak to light, and can tear apart a full bull elephant in anytime between 1 second to 10 seconds, depending on the exact species. It is known that high frequency light, whether it be lasers, or UV lights, can kill both Krylls and Grues. Kryll and Grues are also very susceptible to radiation poisoning. Many ships who have magic-fusion reactors will commonly use their cores to stave off the natives of this planet if stranded on it.
VY Canis Majoris: The largest star is also home to the largest plasma harvester in the galaxy. About 1 billion miles off of Canis Majoris lies a extremely large military facility, but this and the plasma harvester are beginning to be evacuated due to the star's age, and the inevitability of a hypernova, which is predicted to happen in 13 years or so.
Epsilon Eridanus: Home of the military facility Ares Prime on the planet Epsilon Eridanus-3. Ares is at the forefront of technological research, and is where the intrepid crew start off from.
• There are many more planets that will be listed, storylines intact.
• Weaponry Types:
Plasma- Research of plasma has lead to 'glassers', high temperature plasma throwers which can reduce a square meter of sand into glass within seconds. They are mainly used for ships as cannons to rip through thick hulls. More advanced ships can use magnet alignment rings to control the stream. Also within plasma are 'freezers', supercool plasma used usually in high temperature areas, for instance, a plasma harvester. There are systems of supercool plasma in military ships used to fight against glassers and to keep reactors at a static temperature. They also are used to form partial-energy shields around ships.
Projectile- Rail-guns, coil-guns, and chemically propelled shells. Used as a blunt force against ships with supercool plasma shields. Also are used for boring into planets, and general splash damage. These also include rockets and missiles, more commonly used on smaller ships such as fighters, small destroyers, or frigates.
• Chemical- From thermate, to super acids, chemical launchers can cause massive damage to ships with thin hulls. They're cheaper to refill than plasma weapons, but are easily dispersed by energy shields.
• Handheld weapons:
Melee Weapons: Melee weapons, although fairly obsolete alone, are used for stealth and support. From standard knives and swords, to plasma blades, to chemical injectors, melee weapons are always useful for their two purposes. Stealth wise, plasma blades tend to be weaker, as in darker environments, they glow slightly. Plasma blades are also one of the more effective ways of fighting Grues and Kryll.
• Plasma: Both freezers and glassers are in handheld form, although neither are appreciated by living soldiers due to moral objection. Oftentimes, however, automated systems on pirate ships or unaffiliated ships will use these to stave off boarders.
• Explosive weapons: From grenades, to fusion bombs, explosives tend to be the favored splash weapons. Pull the pin and boom.
• Rifles and Assault Rifles: Rifles are a traditional human weapon favored by all races for their versatility and range. They come in plasma and projectile forms. Many are modular, allowing for quick switching between the versatile and midrange assault rifles to longer range, super accurate marksman rifles.
Pistols: Pistols are generally side weapons, but have been known to be popular amongst civilians and military alike for their lightweight, quick action, and
• Machine Guns and Submachine Guns: Generally used for suppression and sustained fire, the machine gun can lay heavy, undirected fire in a single direction. SMGs have fallen out of favor due to the modular assault rifles providing the versatile short range style SMGs used to cover.
Light weapons: Used ONLY in the Necrus system, they are used by builders to fight Kryll and Grues. Usually simply lasers or UV lights, they have the lucky ability of splash damage, and don't need to be attended to. And yes, they don’t do anything to any other race other than possibly give that race a sunburn.
• Magic: Reserved to magical individuals(see Magic)
Humans: Homo sapiens. Close to the planet Earth but also populate the majority of the universe. A select group of humans can control magic. Under no circumstances should a magical human mate with another human being without first both being tested as a magical human might transfer his magic to another human. There is no risk between elves. Non-magical humans have an average lifespan of 114 years, and anything after 75 begins to break down and lose mental and physical capabilities. There is no reported incident of a magical human dying naturally.(PLAYABLE)
• Elves: Homo veneficus. Close to the planet Ares Prime, but also are the second abundant species in the galaxy. All elves can control magic. Humans with pointy ears, red irises, and feminine qualities. Most elves are female, but the Templars of Reach are all male. Males tend to, although be less feminine, have minor feminine qualities. Humans and elves can interbreed. Names tend to be French. A particularly strange feature of elves is the cross-species ability of breeding with humans(this has baffled many anthropologists, xenoanthropologists, and xenobiologists alike). However, the consequences of having a child between the two can be dire(see Half Breeds). (PLAYABLE)
Canis: Homo lupus. Close to the Canis Majoris systems, but not VY Canis Majoris. Not a single Canis is magical, but there is traces of a magic artifact on the Canis homeworld. Anthropomorphic human-wolf mixes. Names are often based off of literature. Canis have a pack mentality, and are often incredibly close to a certain circle of friends rather than many smalltime friendships. Because of the pack mentality, the Canis are a particular favorite for Spec Ops teams.(PLAYABLE)
Brutes: Homo ferinus. Huge simple minded creatures. Some are magical, and all the magical types have IQs ranging from 120-175. They're simian in appearance, range from eight to twelve feet tall, and have both an internal and external skeleton. One word names, usually describing their most amazing feat. Newborns are called Paulus, literally small or humble in Roman Latin. It is also the name of any Brute without a feat. (DEBATABLE, PM ME BEFORE CHOOSING THIS RACE)
• Half breeds: Homo commisceo. A breed between elves and humans. Entirely female. Half breeds tend to have either no magical power, or immense magical powers. There is also a genetic disposition to great intelligence. On a sour note, however, more than likely, half breeds are born defective somehow, whether it be physically or mentally.(DEBATABLE, SAME THING WITH BRUTES)
• Grues and Kryll: family Noxonoctis. Grues are land based bird like creatures, and Kryll are air based bird like creatures. Both are extremely susceptible to UV and radiation poisoning.
• Fire: Plasma magic. A fire mage can control plasmas of all types. A fire mage can learn water magic.
• Water: Weather, water, ice, vapor, controllers of all things water related. A water mage can learn fire magic.
• Wind: Controllers of gases of all kinds.
• Earth: Controllers of dirt, sand, rock, earth, anything of the sort. Great miners.
• Dark: Dark mages are immensely powerful and dangerous. Dark magic allows the user to create amounts of antimatter which can be released with tremendous amounts of energy. All dark mages are taught by the Grand Warlock of Earth, or the Grand Summoner Elisé of Reach. Dark mages generally know light magic, as the Grand Warlock who teaches them. Every dark mage memorizes the Tablets of the Catastrophere of Earth, and the Pillars of Seasons of Reach, as well as the most recently discovered Ledgers of Balance of Necrus II.
• Light: Light mages control all matter, and can create matter by condensing energy. They are also taught the Tablets, Pillars and Ledgers so they don't destroy the universe.
• Unholy: When you think of dark magic, this is what you think of. Unholy mages are immensely powerful. They neutralize all other magics and have the powers of death, pain, and suffering. 50 years after the Cataclysm, the Unholy Witch tried to destroy the Catastrophere, and, for 10 years, the Isthmus of Hell was created. It was not until the Grand Warlock was able to destroy the 5 pillars connecting the former Catastrophere, and Earth. When Catastrophere collided with Earth, many different magics were made, all combined into the general category of summoning.
• Holy: When you think of light magic, this is what you think of. Holy mages are immensely powerful. They contribute to other magics and have the powers of life, pleasure, and happiness. 50 years after the Cataclysm, the Holy Mage helped Grand Warlock defeat the Witch, and collapse Catastrophere. Holy mages are the only mages that can neutralize the Isthmus of Hell.
• Summoning: Rare mages that can summon mystical creatures from the Isthmus of Hell, Sea of Heaven, and the Channel of Neutrality, which are effectively portals to the home dimensions of the creatures. From the Isthmus of Hell come creatures predictably known as daemons, from the Sea of Heaven, angels, and the Channel of Neutrality come creatures known as Phantoms. Each realm has it's own ruler, and most powerful creature. The Isthmus has the Fallen Angel Lucifer, the Sea has the powerful Valet of God Metatron, and the Channel of Neutrality has the Holder of the Scales of Justice Raziel.
Note: All magic users find about their power through a test that they take in high school. Most military mages are not very young, and tend to be around 20-30.
Magic Phenomena: As magic spreads throughout the universe, various phenomena can occur due to the repercussions of using certain types of magic. Notably is the danger within the Dark and Light magic, and the danger of Summoning. Dark and Light magic, because of the release of energy and increase in matter can cause devastating disasters. The release of energy caused by Dark magic has been known to ionize the air enough to cause a planetwide thunderstorm and even, as the worst case scenario, an occurrence known as St. Roderick’s Fire after the unfortunate burning of the planet when the atmosphere was ionized enough to effectively ignite the entire atmosphere. Although it has never occurred, it is theorized that Fire magic could do the same thing. Light magic also has its fair share of horrible-ohgod catastrophes, usually revolving around radioactive material that might be created by the less skilled mages. Summoning, however has some of the most dangerous phenomena. Many summoners, especially those who delve into the creatures of the Isthmus of Hell, stupidly forget that the creatures they summon have minds of their own. A notable incident was when a young summoner caused a small war on Mars by summoning a daemon who quickly realized the naïveté of the summoner, and used him to create another Isthmus of Hell(which I’ll explain later).
• Totalitarian States of Amerika: Formed in 2112, the Totalitarian States of Amerika are what once was considered the free world by all of Earth. Due to problems with the Cataclysm, unrest within the country itself, and bad leadership, the free world collapsed, forming the rock hard anti-magic nation it is now. The Totalitarian States, when compared to the Cold War, are the Communists. The government running the TSA is a fascist despotism.
Mage's Union: The Mage's Union was formed when Grand Warlock of Earth discovered the Tablets and, listening to them, formed a way for all mages to communicate and all magic to be controlled. The Union is ruled by Grand Warlock Ethan, even though it has a fairly anarchic government. When compared to the Cold War, the Union is the US. The government running the Mage's Union is a free Republic.
Galactic Federation: A mostly peaceful collaboration between unaffiliated humans and the planetary governments of the other sapient races. Focuses on the expansion of science and exploration of the unexplored ‘half’ of the galaxy. The Galactic Federation is at the forefront of scientific advancement, and, although technically unaffiliated with the Mage’s Union, has collaborated with them to make some of the most powerful magic-technologic hybrid technology known to civilization.
Trader’s Bureau: A free standing corporative entity which stays unaffiliated with any of the other factions. Known to house shady dealings, make lucrative contracts with mercenaries, and even turn the tides on planetary economies, the Trader’s Bureau works in the best interest of their members. Notable, however, is the recent controversy between the Trader’s Bureau’s investing in weapons manufacturing by the TSA, and some recent disappearances amongst Mage’s Union higher-ups, notably the already elusive Grand Warlock, who vanished after a partnership with the Trader’s Bureau on working with new hybrid tech. This has put the Earth factions at the most heated point since the war had gone cold.
• Character Sheet Template:
• Preferred Role in the Crew:
• Brief Description of Personality:
• Brief History:
• Choice Weaponry:
• Magical Status:
• Character Sheet Template Sample: (which would eventually be my character if I ever got around to rewriting him)
• Name: Atticus Menascis
• Sex: Male
• Rank: Major
• Age: 45
• Preferred Role in the Crew: Captain
• Eye color:
• Usual Clothing:
• Brief Description of Personality: Atticus is a cold individual, a professional soldier, a professional killer. The man had been born and raised as a warrior. He tends to favor pragmatism in his decisions, morality is rarely a component in his decisions. A believer in the phrase "The ends justify the means", and in the greater good, he always does great sacrifices for the sake of the betterment of civilization and society as a whole. Part of this has caused a great deal of emotional hardship, and trauma, both physically and spiritually. However, any pain he feels, he never shows. This man never cries.
• Brief History: Atticus was enrolled in military academies at a young age. His father was a prominent military man on the surface of AC-3, and pushed his son through a vigorous physical regimen and
Choice Weaponry: Caster, will work on this.
• Magical Status: Will work on this.
Private First Class
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Chief Warrant Officer-2
Chief Warrant Officer-3
Chief Warrant Officer-4
Chief Warrant Officer-5
2008- Massive explosion releases magic throughout the world, many are killed in ensuing chaos. Catastrophere is formed in orbit of Earth. Immediately, magic becomes a part of human life and culture. Originally shunned due to fear and religious connotations, 'Grand Warlock' Ethan manages to unite the magic users under one cause. Some, however, do not find this cause as heroic, and a separatist faction forms, under the leadership of Kari the Enchantress
2058- Climatic battle between Ethan and Kari leads to creation of Isthmus of Hell. Kari is exiled to a 'purgatory' realm by the end of the battle, however, the Isthmus of Hell soon leads to destruction and chaos across the Earth as the spiritual inhabitants invade the rather surprised planet.
2068- Isthmus dissipated. Magic-nonmagic tensions rise to an all time high, which does not recede...
2090- Magic-Hybrid Drive invented, allowing FTL human movement throughout the Galaxy.
2111- Elves discovered, war immediately starts between magic humans and nonmagic humans. It is blamed mostly on the magic humans affiliating with the newly found species, and the already tense atmosphere between magic-nonmagic relations.
2112- TSA is formed, as well as Mage Union.
2124- Magic War ends in a stalemate. The planet is divided in half at the Equator, the Mage's holding a large staging ground in Africa. Many magics move their living places to the Catastrophere.
2224- Canis discovered.
2256- Brutes discovered.
3056- Necrus system discovered.
3176- GFS Titan disappears whilst exploring the unmapped part of the galaxy. Unknown to the larger world, it appears the ship was under attack by something before losing contact entirely.
• Other ships:
More to Come
Ace of Spades
GFC Titan- A Beowulf class Battlecruiser. Disappeared exploring the unknown half of the galaxy, last known status was heavily damaged, and most of the crew killed by an unknown source. Modified to be a science vessel.
"The Pale Man"- A Labyrinth class corvette. Highly regarded as an entity of death, "The Pale Man" is used as a spy craft by the Galactic Federation Office of Intelligence.
Thanatos- An unknown class ship spied just on the border of known space. Its make up is extremely similar to a Beowulf class Battlecruiser, except it shows heavy damage, and unknown organic components have repaired portions of the hull.
• Ship Stats:
• Designation: GFMC Tycho
• Ship AIs: The ship contains three distinct AI identities; the main AI interfaces with the crew, and maintains navigational functions. A secondary AI controls weaponry and engineering automated systems. The third AI is used mostly for
'busy work'; it maintains life support systems and the humiliating 'door opening' job.
• Class: Tudor class Destroyer
• Occupancy Limits: 150 crew members, 25 officers, 25 marines.
• Ship Appearance: The ship is approximately a length. Derp. Uhm I'm thinking it has approximately 5000 square meters of floor space arranged into some form of living quarters, ship management, and other things. I'll figure it out later.
Last edited by DaCrum
on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Escape will make me God.