This place could use some controversy

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: This place could use some controversy

Postby DaCrum » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm

In other (controversial) news...

http://twitpic.com/3o7glg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ja ... on-arizona

And my Caruso joke.

It looks like it might've been...

A 'mad' Tea Party.
YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH—

Literally. The guy was insane, and had such schizophrenic beliefs, it's hard to even classify him as a Tea Partier. The image I first posted, the twitpic, is the image that some Democrats are saying might've inspired the man.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Sentios » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Rosso Rose wrote:It's true that our minds deteriorate overtime when we growup

That particular point was more suggesting that we're educated out of an innate ability; the point being the more years kids goes through education the more they're conditioned to think in only one way. Or at least that's what I take it to mean.
Wizard Status. 5 more years
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I don't know. These days, there are kids in the west who have different kinds of an education experience but I can't make any assumptions about the eastern United States. I agreed with this fact because I have deteriorated. I used to be really smart back at Elementary but overtime, I just lost it. I'm trying to get back up on my feet in terms of my grades, and it's looking good so far.

But this sounds kind of complicated; I even had to look up the meaning of innate just to understand what you were saying. I'll have to do some research.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Postby Sentios » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Being 'smart' in elementary does not necessarily translate into being smart later on; for one the subject difficulties are very different even at a relative level.

Another factor, which also is also attributed to current curriculum, is a lack of interest. Even at the end of high school I was smart, but I could have been much smarter if I was even the slightest bit interested in the material or exercises. Our current curricular do not engage the students in a learning process, it just pushes materials and information at them hoping for some adequate level of retention at least until after the test.

Lastly there are at least two types of deterioration in my view: one attributed to aging and one attributed to lack of use (atrophy). In my view the type deterioration you describe is the latter, one where you've forgotten things you didn't have a use for outside the academic environment and probably didn't get used much if at all there either.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:25 pm

I can attest to that. I was gifted in elementary school.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby zepherin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Depends. Grades are not always a good representation of intellect. Motivation is important to the process. I know a guy who had the highest GPA in the schools history, 1550 SAT 33 ACT, with a full ride to Colorado School of Mines until the last semester of his senior year when he essentially said fuck it and tanked his last English class and dropped out of high school. No drugs (he was a straight edge) not for a girl. He just had enough.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Sentios » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 pm

zepherin wrote:when he essentially said fuck it and tanked his last English class and dropped out of high school.

Is he me? Granted I had a more notable breaking point than 'fuck it' with the one course I took for half a year giving me no credits I needed to fill my elective bullshit.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:49 pm

zepherin wrote:Depends. Grades are not always a good representation of intellect. Motivation is important to the process. I know a guy who had the highest GPA in the schools history, 1550 SAT 33 ACT, with a full ride to Colorado School of Mines until the last semester of his senior year when he essentially said fuck it and tanked his last English class and dropped out of high school. No drugs (he was a straight edge) not for a girl. He just had enough.

Speaking of motivation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

That's a strange story you've got there. I never thought being the best could be kind of stressful for someone like him. Where do you think he is now?
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Postby zepherin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:26 am

not sure he had a sring of shitty jobs before he started acting like a dick to all of his friends and I decided to stop talking to him.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Sentios » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:44 pm

he had a sring of shitty jobs

Intelligence is not an asset after all. Experience and who you know (mostly the latter) will get you much farther.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby zepherin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 am

Sentios wrote:
he had a sring of shitty jobs

Intelligence is not an asset after all. Experience and who you know (mostly the latter) will get you much farther.

depends. Learning quickly allows you to learn how to do your job faster and train more simply. So you are correct in that intellect doesn't garuntee you a good job it is not even a category on a job ap. But it can make your job easier, although shitty jobs tend to be designed to be idiot proof and in that situation being smart won't simplify anything.

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion