COR: The Dark Ages OOC Sign-ups are CLOSED Carnivals are fun

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: COR: The Dark Ages OOC Sign-ups are OPEN for business :D

Postby sam4books » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Ah, alright. Just checking.
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Soul » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:49 am

Makin a character Sam. I'm makin a character.

Postby Akaine » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 am

Hey Sam? What can you tell me about Gypsy culture aside from the 'government' structure? I mean, are there certain rituals other than just talking to the spirits (like a monk sort of, or a shaman? Are they closer to a shaman?)

Aaaaaaaand hmm...forgot what else I was going to ask. XD

EDIT: Remembered~

H'okay. So, Kharrighan is a Gypsy medium. I don't know specifically what powers she would have, being such. Would it be more elemental than psychic, or would it be an odd combination or just one? I'm kinda clueless on this one. I mean, here;s some arguments:

-Psychic:
-Since she's a medium, she'd have full access to the animals of the surrounding area and the "spirits" of everything. What would this mean, that she's able to control things? Or would she just be able to convince nature/animals to do things? Or just talk to them?

-Elements: Since she's a gypsy and a medium, she kinda needs some kind of hold on nature because of her closeness to nature. How would this be breached? HMM Would she have control over water and plants? Because those two are the more spiritual elements, in my mind. So confussed. XD

-Psymental: Well, it could be that she has the full ability to converse with the spirits of everything, but only have the power to physically do something through nature. Like perhaps influence a tree to grow faster and produce fruit, or move small amounts of water, or influence the weather to not storm one night or something like that. I dunno. :<

HALP!
Doctress Who-CURSE YOU AKAINE AND FENIX. *Shakes fist*
Musicmac-INNUENDO... STRIKE!
Innuendo Squad Leader
Dare to join?
Innuendo King

Postby sam4books » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 am

Yes Gypsies are closer to shamans. They use a lot of things to predict the future for example, although it depends on the location. In deserts they used different colored beads to predict the future, in Xephamor they tend to use bones, some use bark or wood, and others even use leaves. There are even those who updated to cards, but those are located in more populated cities.

There are also Gypsies who specialize and performances and artwork. In fact, art is one of the pinnacles of Gypsy culture. It shows how much respect they have for nature. As a Gypsy would tell you, they do not wish to copy nature, but commend it. Gypsy dance is based off of the movements of animals for example. But mainly their performances and artwork are supposed to broadcast their beliefs and lore to non-Gypsies, in an attempt that people would understand them more. They invented the theatre, the circus, and their urns and weaving tell stories in color and portrayals. That's another important thing, color. Some Gypsies like to dress colorfully, and they belief in the idea that color reflects ones mood, even their future. There are those who manipulate color to conceal themselves or wow the public's eyes (using illusions), such as this guy. Usually this is restricted to dance and circuses though, although Gypsy storytellers like to create illusions also, for the enjoyment of the children they tell them to. A lot of storytellers like to have one of the other Gypsies join in and dress up as a hero or heroine as well (THEATRE ;D). Here's an example of a Gypsy playing a role in a Storyteller's story. I can go on and on about the importance of the preservation of Gypsy lore, and the importance of self expression and closeness to nature. But as you can see, its really hard to describe their culture as a whole. These are actually the most colorful bunch of people in the world of Rathya.

EDIT: OH! And there's herbal medicine too! How could I forget that. Gypsies are traditionalists and the use of medicine. Many of them don't believe in liquid medicine (please note pills wouldn't be used yet in this time period), and prefer to use what nature gives them in its purest form. They sort of have a thing against some Man-kin made things, and rely on magick more so than anyone else. After all magick is the gift of the gods...best not shame it by using it to create....monstrosities and the like.

A lot of Gypsies agree with Sulists and the belief that alchemy is an unholy thing actually.

EDITEDIT: It would most likely be psychic. Like, your character would be able to "see" things others can't see and "hear" what others can't hear as well as communicate with them. If you want your character to be able to control animals, that's alright with me. What your character can and cannot control will just be based on how big and how aggressive an animal is. A lot of Gypsies would have the ability to control animals actually. Some of them just don't abuse it like some people would do *coughpoacherscough*. This is how circuses get animals to act in their shows *nods*. If you want your character to just "talk" to them (some animals may have a lot to say), that's fine with me too.

Unfortunately the whole "controlling plants" thing is already taken. However, your character can have a sort of "connection" with the soil itself. There are some Gypsies out there with earth-centered powers, a lot of them made used to it, and its part of the reason Gypsies are so close with the animals as well. I have this one character who made friends with BUGS because of his digging abilities.

Most communication with spirits would be natural by nature (hehehe). Your character would have some influence in the spiritual realm (obviously), but she wouldn't have enough influence to stop the workings of the world (that cloud has to go somewhere). If there's a storm, there's a storm. It would just be somewhere else. You won't be able to stop a storm, but you CAN create one. Just be careful of how well you do it. Such things have consequences you know :P
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:31 am

Hm. So, three quick questions.

1. As I'm thinking I'll make an ork, any helpful knowledge/suggestions? You've got all this lore and whatnot, wouldn't want to overwrite it. Leading to my next two...

2. Could I have some sort of berserker rage? (Yeah, I know, a little stereotypical for this kind of guy, but partially influenced by my third one)

3. While making him, Is it bad to be listening to songs like this? (Norse inspired and whatnot)
For the Greater Good

Postby Akaine » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am

Hokay, and also, I was thinking about the whole plants/earth thing. Maybe she'd have a better connection with the wind.
Innuendo Squad Leader
Dare to join?
Innuendo King

Postby sam4books » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:00 pm

@NeoWarrior7: 1. When making an Orr-kin, remember that if they make a friendship it lasts for a lifetime. Orks have a certain kind of loyalty that never falters, whether its to their family, friends, or superiors. A friendship forged in the heat of battle tends to command most of Orr-kin loyalty, causing them to have no trouble taking their life for that person. They have a large sense of honor as well, and sort of have a "honor before reason" sort of thing going on. They would almost never do anything to dishonor their tribe or family or a friend. Also, notice how I said nothing about themselves? Unlike Man-kin, an Orr-kin seems to be incapable of thinking about only themselves all the time. They have this certain need to connect with people, or else they'll have no reason to live. Any dishonor caused by them, often leads them to allow themselves to die rather than dishonor anyone any longer. The Warrior Code (as mentioned before), pretty much outlines what's honorable and what's not. It also gives tips on how to fight in battle.

When their ancestors raided Man-kin cities, it was considered an honorable cause, since they were doing it for the sake of their families and their tribe's survival. Orks are a misunderstood race because of their tendencies to take risks for others, and have suffered for it plenty of times in their history.

Hope this helps.

2. Try not to overdue it much, even though Orks are portrayed as barbarians they are far more calculating than they lead on. But yes, despite some civilities an Orr-kin may have, they do tend to RAEG when provoked. So its never a good idea to make an Orr-kin mad anyways.

3. Nope, not bad at all. The Orks were mainly inspired by the vikings and some Norse mythology. These guys ARE the Vikings of Rathya.

@Akaine: Yeah, wind sounds good.
In passing

Postby Cheesemore » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Allright sam, my CS is nearly complete, just a last name and theme song to come up with. Also, if anyone knows the name of the hat I put in the link, do let me know, it's driving me crazy. (It's like a beret, but you'd wear it backwards compared to a beret, if that makes any sense).
Fenix13 : Cheesemore if you get any more awesome this thread is gonna explo- WHAT THE FFFUUUUUUUUUUU- *Everybody dies*
BeeAre : i'm just going to go ahead and say it: this thread is cheesemore's thread now. like. he's officially spam's last post crusader, always seeking the last post like a knight looking for the holy grail. poor bastard. godspeed you goofy motherfucker.
JesusChrist : 16. Cheesemore should always be addressed as "fucking Cheesemore" because he's so pathetic [see: Last one to post thread]
SoulScavenger : Cheesemore, your avatar is awesome. That is all.
Akaine : Cheesemore...if this was facebook, I'd approve of your comment with clicking 'like'.
sam4books : Cheesemore earns an awesome point.
The Master of Cheese

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Not much done yet, I know. I'll keep working on it.

Name: Mork’akathn (Man-Kin can just say Mork.)

Race: Orr-kin

Nationality: Orlee

Standing: Neutral, although he's certainly not fond of Mek (Or any place besides Orlee and Xephamor, for that matter.)

Profession/Role: Warrior, Mercenary, Bodyguard

Appearance: Large as Orr-Kin come, at over 9 feet tall and plenty wide, Mork can seem intimidating to Man-Kin: and that's just how he wants it. His skin is a very dark green, with some splotches of brown, and his body has numerous scars. A very large one runs just under his left eye. The horns on his head come out midway along his head, and point forward a bit. The right side of his face has a complex tattoo, made up of blood red and slightly lighter fire red colored inks. It's meant to be intimidating. As one might expect, he's got more than enough muscle, with thick arms and legs from years of battle. Most of the time his expression is rather neutral, but his scowling face has scared many a man.

His simple clothing is loose, most of it a plain dark brown. A short sleeved vest and long pants, all covered by a massive (my Man's standards) brown cloak with his clans sign stitched in the back. The whole thing is rather light with a hood, and it covers and protects him from the elements when he travels the wastes he calls home. Also important is that he can move it out of the way of his arms quickly when he's forced into a fight. While his chain and Skullsplitters can hide beneath it, Hulrnir is simply too large to hide. It's held on his back, connected to a belt of tanned animal hide. Beneath the vest is a trick: A metal breastplate, scarred from many hits it has deflected. Thick leather boots with metal in the tips cover his feet. As he travels now to Mek, a large backpack travels with him, beside his weapon. Among his possessions is a round helmet that goes around his horns.

Weapons/Equipment:
Hulrnir - A massive two handed weapon passed down through his family, its forged iron head has two sides. One side is a large, straight axe head with runes inscribed in the sides. The other is a square hammer, large and flat with a orkish symbol pressed into it. While having two sides to it makes it a bit slowly and unwieldy, the weight gives it greater momentum in large swings. The hilt is carved wood with small bits of iron to help hold the head on and the handle together. It has a grip at the bottom, slight indentations that help him hold onto it. The weapon has been enchanted (although he states it’s a blessing), such that he can cause a bright glowing red flame to coat it. However, this flame doesn’t hurt the flesh of Man-kin or Orr-Kin. Objects (including clothes) and animals aren’t so lucky.

Thick Chain – A old, long length of iron chain, with one end looking like it was broken off. While it can be used to tie someone up, when he does use it, it tends to be smashing into people.

Skullsplitters – His pair of trusty throwing axes. Ork-made, with slightly curved handles and long blades, they are weighted for throwing. Mork is quite adept at using them.

Personality: Part of what makes Mork an excellent bodyguard, besides being huge and strong, is his mind. He has a keen military mind, honed in two decades of conflict. He's quite focused and attentive, always useful skills. Despite appearances, he actually is fairly smart. More then capable of discussing many subjects most Man-Kin wouldn't expect him to know, he tends to hide this in public. He's learned that sometimes it's best to hide what he knows, the better to catch enemies unaware. Or just strike fear in Men's hearts, so he often acts more "Ork-like" then he, or they, are. Underneath this, when he befriends someone, he's fairly kind. He prefers to encourage and aid indirectly, rather then fight someone else's battle, but once they're in danger he's more then willing to fight alongside them. Mork has spent a lot of time learning Orkish lore and history. After all these years, he still can't understand many things about Man-Kin, and after the war he took to learning about and trying to understand their ways.

Magick: None to speak of, though he has been known to manifest the Berserker Rage.

Hobbies: Fightin', Ork Lore, contemplating Man-Kin's ways,

History: Mork was born into war. His clan lived in medium sized town right on the border of Orlee and Xephamor. Raised in the Orkish ways, his clan also had a fair amount of Xephamor influence, and fought more readily alongside Xephamor's armies during the war. Trained alongside his brothers (all orks are brothers, to Mork), combat was something he excelled at, even some of it's subtler parts. Mork fought it countless battles, traveling to and spilling blood in multiple lands. He earned his family's heir, Hulrnir, during the Battle of the Red Ford, which his uncle (the weapon's pervious owner) died in. Mork isn't well known outside his clan and some parts of the Xephamor military, but he lead a battalion through numerous battles, including the daring raid of the Zanzomor cliffs, and the Battle of Terrible Falls, in which Mork personally slew the Sophyian Knight Ivan the Vigilant.

Having spent his whole life fighting a war, he had few professions open to him, and he certainly wasn't trying those without conflict. After the war, Mork took to fighting as a mercenary, making money to support his clan. He also got work as a bodyguard, serving most anyone who could pay, and got a few jobs defending or helping Xephamor's nobles or military though old warbound friends. Recently, despite the difficulties, he has traveled to Mek to find work. And to see just who it is that might start the new war. For he can see it on the horizon, and he hopes it comes before he grows too old.

Theme: Sons of Odin - Manowar and Gods of War - Manowar
Last edited by NeoWarrior7 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.
For the Greater Good

Postby sam4books » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:18 pm

@Cheesemore: Looks good so far. Sadly I do not know the name of that hat :/ But if I ever find out I'll let you know.

@NeoWarrior7: I love the throwing axes :) And I also like how you remind us of the religious nature Orr-kins have. The guy seems like he'll be an interesting character to have around so far. Now all we need is a self-righteous Sophyan for him to argue with xD And by argue I mean rip to shreds.
In passing

Postby Akaine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:26 pm

lol I'm just putting bullets up for my own reference for when I fully flesh her out. Meh. I hate dislike bullets in general. It leaves so much out.

And manowar's awesomeee
Innuendo Squad Leader
Dare to join?
Innuendo King

Postby TheLivingCouch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Cheesemore wrote:Allright sam, my CS is nearly complete, just a last name and theme song to come up with. Also, if anyone knows the name of the hat I put in the link, do let me know, it's driving me crazy. (It's like a beret, but you'd wear it backwards compared to a beret, if that makes any sense).

Ah ha, I found it. Where Google and Wikipedia fail TV Tropes succedes. The hat you are looking for is the Flat Cap, or Ivy Cap.

Postby sam4books » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Ah TVTropes, is there nothing you can't teach us?
In passing

Postby Cheesemore » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:35 pm

TheLivingCouch wrote:Ah ha, I found it. Where Google and Wikipedia fail TV Tropes succedes. The hat you are looking for is the Flat Cap, or Ivy Cap.

Oh my god thank you so much Couch. That's been bugging me for days.
Fenix13 : Cheesemore if you get any more awesome this thread is gonna explo- WHAT THE FFFUUUUUUUUUUU- *Everybody dies*
BeeAre : i'm just going to go ahead and say it: this thread is cheesemore's thread now. like. he's officially spam's last post crusader, always seeking the last post like a knight looking for the holy grail. poor bastard. godspeed you goofy motherfucker.
JesusChrist : 16. Cheesemore should always be addressed as "fucking Cheesemore" because he's so pathetic [see: Last one to post thread]
Akaine : Cheesemore...if this was facebook, I'd approve of your comment with clicking 'like'.
The Master of Cheese

Postby TheLivingCouch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:44 pm

No problem Cheesemore, glad to be of help.

sam4books wrote:Ah TVTropes, is there nothing you can't teach us?

Probably, but sometimes I honestly don't think so.

Postby Zako » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:29 am

Still working on it. Expect it to be done within 12 hours from this post.
- Join the HUMP LEGION. Leading the Humping and Bumping since time began...*humpa humpa humpa* -

Note to self. Pg541
SPACE ASSHOLE...

Postby Redsnow » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 am

Fin.

Postby sam4books » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:30 am

Character List is UPDATED. Redsnow is ACCEPTED.
In passing

Postby Cheesemore » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 pm

My CS is now fully complete. Theme songs are hard to find when you don't know a lot of music.
The Master of Cheese

Postby sam4books » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:57 pm

Cheesemore is ACCEPTED.

I believe it's time for me to begin typing out Meka's description. *nods*
In passing

Postby Zako » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:32 pm

CS:

Name: Nitori Hydrelend.

Race: Man-kin

Nationality: Zorron

Standing: Neutral.

Profession/Role:
Engineer

Appearance: Only 5’ 1’’, Nitori is short for a person her age. Unlike most girls, she wears her clothing with her own flair regardless of popular fashion. Boots made from hard wearing fabrics and rubber, gloves from thick leather, and her dress and shirt is blue green with multiple pockets. She wears an olive green cap and her backpack is large and stuffed full of equipment and tools that she can fit inside. He belt has multiple attachments and pockets and held up by military style suspenders. She wears her brown hair in slight pigtails and her eyes are blue.

Weapons/Equipment:

.45 Long-Slide Pistol- Nitori’s father designed this pistol long before she was born. While most people bought revolvers and other similar weapons, her father and a few others designed handguns that did not rely on revolving cylinders, instead on focusing on the recoil aspect. Conservation of energy was the driving theory and the .45 Long-Slide is the latest version of the original concept. Kept in a hostler on her right.

Machine Gun
    - Mosaic’s design, modified extensively by Nitori and stored in her backpack.

Underwater Mini Torpedoes- A invention of Nitori, this weapon is used underwater with limited ability to jump into the air. Carried in a case of eight mini-torpedoes, this steam-driven weapon launches from the lower part of her backpack.

Devastating Bubble Power- Nitori’s trademark magical power, a single high explosive place in a bubble of water. Using her power to contain the blast, the blast bubble expands until it reaches the absolute max it can go, and then Nitori implodes the bubble, creating a jet of water at very high speed at any direction she wants. A single grenade would suffice.

Extending Arms
    - Arms that extend needs no steam power to work. Extends to five times its size and can grasp. Stored in her backpack.

Monkey Wrench- Standard wrench. Surprisingly useful in just about anything. Kept in a holster on her left.

Backpack- A marvel of rugged fabrics and magical extension. It can store several times its size without major weight increase although it is heavy to lug around. It is olive green with multiple pockets all around anyone can fit in a backpack.

Personality:
Incredibly shy, Nitori’s shyness stem from the great fear of meeting new people. Despite this, Nitori is extremely friendly if someone manages to coax her out from her self-imposed isolation from the general public. If one does manages to coax her out from her isolationist tendencies, then one would be greeted by a barrage of curious questions over how he or she’s gadgets work a lecture on basic physics laws, and stories of her own life. Unless you tell her otherwise she will keep on blathering away but it’s usually a short time before she goes back to her own meek self. If you give her food, it is most likely she will ask for more for Nitori is vacuum cleaner when it comes down to food. However, sweating away and hauling heavy loads seems to drive away any weight gain.

Magick: Water Elemental Magic- Creation and Manipulation of water. Because of this power, Nitori is an expert in underwater combat and can stay for a long time underwater.

Hobbies: Taking apart things to see the internal workings, reading manuals on machines, playing with tools, and eating copious amounts of food. She has taken a notable interest in explosives and their explosive results, making her the most dangerous person when gunpowder is around.

History:
The only child of the famed Mosaic Hydrelend, Nitori had a somewhat strange childhood. While most children played with toys, Mosaic gave his daughter tools used in his workshop. This led to young Nitori to use those tools to break down simple machines, curious on their inner workings. Although this is unbecoming of a girl, Nitori was influenced by her own father, who in his time before her birth was an armament designer; designing guns of various caliber, make and even pioneering his own unique mechanisms for his guns. Needless to say he was very disappointed when his daughter was born having spent the greater part of the year praying and doing all sorts of thing to ensure a boy was born. Mosaic wholeheartedly refused his wife’s last wishes as she lay dying in the hospital bed to treat their daughter as a girl that she is. Thusly Nitori was raised as a boy, playing with boys toys and even addressed as one…until puberty came. It was notoriously clear that Nitori was not a boy as Mosaic had wanted, often forgetting to let her daughter in the house, forgetting that a girl lived in his house and often doing the wrong things. However, by the words of Mosaic’s friends, Nitori was aware that Mosaic secretly admired his daughter’s skill in machinery and even once admitted he had a daughter…not a son as he so adamantly stressed. Nitori lived with this thought…as did many people who knew the strange family’s life until the day Mosaic died. Mosaic bluntly stated that Nitori was the reason his wife had died and left her out of his will, legally denying her any part of the massive fortune her father amassed as an arms designer. Driven out the house (a mansion to be exact) by her own father’s last wishes, Nitori hit the road and soon took on jobs as a maid, nurse and other roles usually filled in by girls her age, neither making any effort to connect herself as a daughter of a famous weapons designer. For three years this went on until she was found by a close friend of her father’s, Mr. Burke. Burke owned a massive weapons plant that produced weapons for anyone that can buy them and Burke offered Nitori a job which soon lead to her to produce several patents, all which improved or developed upon her late father’s work. Money flowed in, not much but enough to land her own workshop. In her workshop she invented several new machines and weapons and all went well until the day religious fanatics burned her workshop down, consuming nearly all her work. To make matters worse, Mr. Burke died of a heart attack and the new head of the company was less inclined to let her stay. With the loss of the workshop and her only way of living her dream as an engineer gone Nitori decided that she had enough. Almost no one would ever hire a girl to fix machines let alone associate with the disgraced and disowned daughter of Mosaic Hydrelend, Nitori hit the road taking all that she had left with her and the blueprints of unfinished but groundbreaking new work.

Theme:Jazz // Candid Friend
Last edited by Zako on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Join the HUMP LEGION. Leading the Humping and Bumping since time began...*humpa humpa humpa* -

Note to self. Pg541
SPACE ASSHOLE...

Postby sam4books » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:27 pm

I love her. She fills the engineer girl archetype perfectly, and now I suppose there's no need to create that one gal I had on hold. The whole religious fanatics thing made me laugh, and I like how she was forced to work as a maid and nurse and stuff while on the road. It's fitting for a setting like Rathya. I can tell Nitori's going to be useful in the future....*strokes chin* Very useful indeed.

The only problem I have is what does her face look like? Mainly her hair and the color of her eyes since I don't want to get things wrong if I ever feel compelled to draw your character (the extending arms are tempting).
In passing

Postby TheLivingCouch » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Say Sam, question for you. Since telephone and radio have been invented it is alright if I give my character a camera, or perhaps even a motion camera? It seems likely given all the other gadgets I'm seeing but I figured I'd double check just in case.

Postby sam4books » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:01 pm

A motion camera?

It's possible, since a lot of the setting has WWI roots as well or pre-WWI...but yeah, something along the linesof The Great Train Robbery would be entirely possible to film.
In passing

Postby Akaine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Hmm, working on fleshing out. >:F MUST FINISH.
Innuendo Squad Leader
Dare to join?
Innuendo King

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing