A Brave New World

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

A Brave New World

Postby eslfish » Wed May 19, 2010 10:03 am

Anyone ever read the novel?

Maybe I didn't read, but we can talk about novels right?

Re: A Brave New World

Postby BeeAre » Wed May 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Yes, we read it, what do you want to discuss about it?
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Fievel » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 pm

I just finished reading it, actually, and I was surprised by the similarities between it and Nineteen Eighty-Four. It was a very good book, in my opinion.
Offended.

Postby BeeAre » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Fievel wrote:I just finished reading it, actually, and I was surprised by the similarities between it and Nineteen Eighty-Four. It was a very good book, in my opinion.

i am not surprised at all both books have a worldly protagonist suffering against what seems an intolerable system

only i am hard pressed to find too much wrong with the brave new world
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Fievel » Wed May 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Everyone seems to be happy. I can't find too much wrong with that. I could go for a Soma holiday.
Offended.

Postby Blood Lord » Thu May 20, 2010 1:15 am

I have yet to read this book. What kind is it?
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Fievel » Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 am

It basically describes a futuristic society in which there are no wars, and which genetically engineers all members of society to predestined positions in life, psychologically conditioning them their entire lives to be content with their roles in society without questioning their place. That's not all it's about, but that's all I want to say without actually revealing some of the story. Basically like 1984, except the governments use science and conditioning as opposed to fear and the like to control their subjects. I'd definitely recommend it.
Offended.

Postby TheGreekDollmaker » Thu May 20, 2010 3:55 am

Fievel wrote:I just finished reading it, actually, and I was surprised by the similarities between it and Nineteen Eighty-Four. It was a very good book, in my opinion.

Actually i saw more of a mix between Nineteen Eighty-Four and Fahrenheit 451

Particulary in the whole ''For the happiness of the people'' ideas that Brave new world and Fahrenheit have and how the world works in Nineteen Eighty-Four and this book.

I find this book to be kidna amusing actually.
Please check my art thread.

--- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47376 ---

“Offending people is healthy. Every time you say something that’s offensive to another person, you just force them to think.”
— Louis C.K.

Postby Fievel » Thu May 20, 2010 3:58 am

I've never actually read Fahrenheit 451, so I wouldn't know. Been meaning to, but I have others on my list of things to read.
Offended.

Postby TheGreekDollmaker » Thu May 20, 2010 4:06 am

Fievel wrote:I've never actually read Fahrenheit 451, so I wouldn't know. Been meaning to, but I have others on my list of things to read.

Im gona give you a small summary, No Spoilers:

Its the future,Books are bad and firefighters instead of putting down fires they burn books.
One firefighter starts questioning the state and everything goes to crapshot.

Basecly in this future books are seen as not only an inferior medium but also as a damaging one,
that kills people makes them voilent agaist each other.

Their reasoning is more of ''Think of the poeple's happiness'' and how they sacriface that artistic medium
so they can create a stable society.

You should really read the book or the movie or buy the graphic novel illestruted by Tim Hamilton
and a proluge of the author of the book.
Please check my art thread.

--- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47376 ---

“Offending people is healthy. Every time you say something that’s offensive to another person, you just force them to think.”
— Louis C.K.

Postby eslfish » Thu May 20, 2010 8:12 am

Fievel wrote:Everyone seems to be happy. I can't find too much wrong with that. I could go for a Soma holiday.

Haha, yes, Soma! I need to get some of that.

This book was about cloning and sex. To put it in a nutshell...although I did think it was cool!

Postby Fievel » Sat May 22, 2010 9:36 pm

eslfish wrote:
Fievel wrote:Everyone seems to be happy. I can't find too much wrong with that. I could go for a Soma holiday.

Haha, yes, Soma! I need to get some of that.

Doesn't everyone?

TheGreekDollmaker: I kinda already know what it's about, but thanks anyway, I guess.
Offended.

Postby BeeAre » Sun May 23, 2010 6:35 pm

the different classes forming a hierarchy is lame

but that's about it. you get rid of the repressive class warfare and it's cool. thanks for doing drugs mr. huxley
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun May 30, 2010 7:36 pm

TheGreekDollmaker wrote:
Fievel wrote:I've never actually read Fahrenheit 451, so I wouldn't know. Been meaning to, but I have others on my list of things to read.

Im gona give you a small summary, No Spoilers:

Its the future,Books are bad and firefighters instead of putting down fires they burn books.
One firefighter starts questioning the state and everything goes to crapshot.

Basecly in this future books are seen as not only an inferior medium but also as a damaging one,
that kills people makes them voilent agaist each other.

Their reasoning is more of ''Think of the poeple's happiness'' and how they sacriface that artistic medium
so they can create a stable society.

You should really read the book or the movie or buy the graphic novel illestruted by Tim Hamilton
and a proluge of the author of the book.

What I always found a little odd about Fahrenheit 451 was how different the world envisoned in it is from the type of world Bradbury usually envisions when he writes about futuristic dystopias. the 451 world is desinged to be extremely fantasy oriented, little or nothing in Montag's world has much to do with the objective reality of the "real world". This is intentional as the point is that reality is to harsh and painful for the average individual of this world to live with, the airy cotton-wool safetely they have is all they can take. In contrast, in many of Bradbury's other stories (the "Usher II" section of The Martian Cronicles is a good example, fantasy and imagination are themselves considered the enemy, the "good of the people" is defined as a world of total clinical objectivity and pure scientific literalism; a world where fiction itself is bad. It actually be a while since I read my Bradbury (I think it was just before I went into my Harlan Ellison phase) but the contrast always stuck with me.

Oh and not to try and increase the incidence of abuse of illegal subsances, but you do know that soma is a real substance (its the old Indo-Vedic name for the mushroom that we now refer to as the fly agaric, Amanita muscaria.)I imagine the version in Brave New World is derived from this.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Return to Literature