Weekly discussion 24 (1/13/13-1/20/13): $1 trillion coin

Arizona Telephone Directory - Illegal Business Operations

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Weekly discussion (3/10-3/17): Minimum wage

Postby Icha » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

@BeeAre: Is this the reason certain fictional works about the future sometimes feature a single entity controlling most things? (Now, I'm not saying communism or something but I hope you get what I mean)
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I've personally experienced minimum wage. From the s4tand point of a college student who just wants extra cash, it's enough [barely]. So imagine a person who needs cash to pay bills. Unless they're not the main source of income of the household, then it's fine. I have it for an understanding that states set their own minimum wage, and Texas' right now seems to be at a reasonable level. I would say that they should keep minimum wage for teenagers [below 18 years of age] at a small number, while the minimum wage for legal adults should be raised to $9 or $10. Of course that would be discriminating so it won't happen, but kids who's only concern is to pay for fancy shit shouldn't get the same amount as somebody who needs to take a second job to make ends meet. This is all an opinion though, I have no stats or evidence to back my claim.
A Pimp Named Jeezy Creezy: Lasting all the way up to Valentine's.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

"Sleepery Dee, Sleepery Doo.
Whoever betrays me tonight, I'll mo'fuckin' cap you!"

Postby BeeAre » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:@BeeAre: Is this the reason certain fictional works about the future sometimes feature a single entity controlling most things? (Now, I'm not saying communism or something but I hope you get what I mean)

well yeah it's a motif: single things are more efficient than many things

anarcho-communists are fun people to talk to: they want to absolve pure government and pure capitalism and indoctrinate kids on the values of altruism, which is cool but so hugely impractical with how tightly pure capitalism has a grip on the world.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Icha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Well, isn't it usually kind of mixed for the most part?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby BeeAre » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:Well, isn't it usually kind of mixed for the most part?

what is?
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby Mathias » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm

When I started with BK, I made $5.25 and worked up to $7.55. Then they raised the wage to $7.50 shortly after.

Wasn't sure how to feel about that.

Postby Onizaru » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:37 pm

I make 7.75 an hour doing hard labor and my friend who is a highschool dropout makes 8.75 and hour at a tanning salon doing nothing.

Postby Kkeellaacc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:40 pm

I make 9.75 doing tedious work, leaving my brain to think of wonderful story ideas.
Signature Under Construction

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I made 6.25 doing more than many of these kids do at their jobs. When they switched it I had been working at the story for a year, and still had the same wage. And you can't ask for a raise in a job like that.
A Pimp Named Jeezy Creezy: Lasting all the way up to Valentine's.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

"Sleepery Dee, Sleepery Doo.
Whoever betrays me tonight, I'll mo'fuckin' cap you!"

Postby Icha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:32 pm

BeeAre wrote:
icha_icha_paradise wrote:Well, isn't it usually kind of mixed for the most part?

what is?

Most countries don't go for the purest of capitalism, even the US has regulations, so its not a complete capitalism, right?
-stufflikehearts-

Postby BeeAre » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:
BeeAre wrote:

what is?

Most countries don't go for the purest of capitalism, even the US has regulations, so its not a complete capitalism, right?

uber rich people can avoid the vast majority of these regulations through importing and exporting and using the leverage their power affords them to change the way those regulations work so ultimately pure capitalism still exists

because pure capitalism at its core, without regulation, is merely bartering approximate values, be they goods or skills over varying amounts of time (another resource all to itself) for the absolute greatest benefit for the individuals making the trade
BR

Postby Valhallen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 pm

Well, you can't really have effective markets without certain kinds of regulation. Property rights need to be agreed on and enforced, contracts need to be enforceable, regulations pertaining to buyer and seller behavior need to establish some standard of trust for transactions to take place (i.e. scams must be punishable or sufficiently rare in the first place). "Pure" capitalism usually refers to some vague minimum set of regulations like these needed to make a market work.

P.S. I've been meaning to be more active in these discussions, but real life obligations have kept me busy. Nice to see that there's enough interest to keep things going.

Postby Mathias » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm interested in your real-life obligations.

Postby Valhallen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 am

I'm responsible for bringing the cleansing rains to deserts, and the well-being of all birds and fish. I'm also in charge of long-term parking at LaGuardia.

Postby Kkeellaacc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 am

That was you? Well done sir.
Signature Under Construction

Postby Mathias » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:18 am

Valhallen wrote:I'm responsible for bringing the cleansing rains to deserts, and the well-being of all birds and fish. I'm also in charge of long-term parking at LaGuardia.

Ooh, an airport valet.

Postby Sentios » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Valhallen wrote:Well, you can't really have effective markets without certain kinds of regulation. Property rights need to be agreed on and enforced, contracts need to be enforceable, regulations pertaining to buyer and seller behavior need to establish some standard of trust for transactions to take place (i.e. scams must be punishable or sufficiently rare in the first place). "Pure" capitalism usually refers to some vague minimum set of regulations like these needed to make a market work.

P.S. I've been meaning to be more active in these discussions, but real life obligations have kept me busy. Nice to see that there's enough interest to keep things going.

Of course such regulation gives rise to it's own problems... the first thing to come to mind is patent trolling.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Icha » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:24 pm

PATENT TROLLANNNNN
-stufflikehearts-

Postby BeeAre » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:55 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:PATENT TROLLANNNNN
BR

Postby Valhallen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:06 pm

Topic 5: Geoengineering, 6/25-7/2

I ran across some articles recently, which brought this to mind. I think stuff like that is kind of cool. Do you? More significantly, do you think large projects intended to alter the Earth in some significant way are, or can be, good? If you called the shots, what would you do?

Postby Sentios » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:38 am

Problem I see in the first article is that painting what was under the glacier white will not make the glacier regrow... because the color of what was under the glacier should not have been a factor in it's melting.

That said painting roofs white is probably a better use of funding if for no other reason than to keep the heat from collecting in cities a bit.

Second link... so long as they aren't trying to plant things directly in the desert but simply expand the not-so-desert area then it's possible they could get some results.

Anyways Val like all things, there is some good and some bad. It mostly depends on the people behind the project and how realistic/feasible the project is.

Re: Weekly discussion (6/25-7/2): Geoengineering

Postby Mathias » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am

Lol, Val posts and only Sentios wanders in to make a response.

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:09 am

I preferred their ideas of putting greenhouses on roofs of buildings in cities, growing food, thus increasing food production on the spot and letting the plants absorb sun's heat easier, cooling the city down.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Sentios » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:28 am

Q.U. wrote:I preferred their ideas of putting greenhouses on roofs of buildings in cities, growing food, thus increasing food production on the spot and letting the plants absorb sun's heat easier, cooling the city down.

Those aren't greenhouses, by design greenhouses are trying to trap heat.

The problem I see with what you linked is 'water retention'. Modifying roofs to green roofs, without re-engineering/constructing the roofs entirely, probably isn't the best idea for that reason right there. Never minding possible leaks forming that is a lot of extra weight on the roof, even more so when that water freezes in the winter and snow gets added to the top of it.

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:01 pm

The glasshouses part I was thinking more about this. Imagine shops on the lowest couple of floors, and there you go.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

PreviousNext

Return to The Extrovert Booty Society