So... the time has come.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

So... the time has come.

Postby Guardian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:45 pm

So Jasthn, remember that "kinda-funny-but-not-really" joke? Well, here it is.

So... I don't know how to explain this very well. I'm afraid that I might be jumping the gun on this, but I think it might be better for you guys to know before, than right then. I've known this for a while now, but I've struggled with how, or what to say. Heck, it scares me just to say this. Breaks some of the ice off of my heart too.

I'm leaving Snafu.

I've got roughly five, maybe six months left until I leave for two years. You see, I'm LDS (Mormon), and there is this... I don't know how to fit the words together to properly explain this "tradition, heavy suggestion, commandment. At the age of nineteen, it is expected of most LDS boys to go on what is called a "mission". These missions last for two years, sometimes two and a half years if the missionary wants it too. What happens is that a promising missionary would submit his papers in, were the bishop and several other leaders review it and judge if its acceptable. If it is, the papers go to Salt Lake city, where I'll be assigned an area to go to.

My mission field could be anywhere in the world, with exception to a few nations. I could be in, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, South America, Philippines, Africa, anywhere. During this mission, I'll have no contact with the rest of the world. No Snafu, no videos, movies, internet, news, books, or music. Communication is a phone call to my family on Christmas, and Mother's Day. I can send letters (which are pieces of paper with hand written messages on them that people use to use before the invention of the internet, phones, and telegraph) to home, and friends. Most of my time will be diverted to teaching my religion to other people. Despite what you've seen of me, I am religious, and believe in my religion with all my heart.

So with great sadness, I'm going to go on with this. I believe it to be important. I'm going to miss you all. I don't know if I'll come back, but I hope that I will. Its just two years is a long time to be gone from an internet forum, and I don't know what will happen. I plan to, I want to come back to Snafu. I joined for silly reasons, and now I stay because I made some of the greatest friends I've ever had, and I want to keep that relationship with many of you. To leave, or even think of leaving feels like a betrayal to you all. But thanks for making it such an awesome time.

So, questions, comments, concerns?

EDIT: I haven't started my papers yet.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Re: So... the time has come.

Postby Hiryu » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Ya know... For someone who uses Arthas has an avatar, you sure can be a panzy. :P

I'm not a man of religion myself, being atheist and whatnot, and I despise those that try to shove it down my throat. Yet, I got nothing againts it and I do salute you for "pulling a hermit" for believing in your religion. Like my dedication to music, your dedication to what you believe is truly great.
In two yours we never know what may happen like you said. Some crazy bitches say the world will be over (lulz), I say I'll be living my life like the rest of us. Perhaps the forum will be here, but if not... Well, if you don't delete your FB page we'll still have a way of contacting you afterwards, right bro?

Now, I got a question. What is the reason behind having to "pull a hermit"? What's the story?
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jasthn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 pm

This isn't a joke. It really is sort of sad, no joke.

If you believe strongly in this, and determined to do this then go for it. Although it will be empty to me in Snafu without someone as you in Snafu, I can understand. Religion and I don't mix to well either, despite people who shove it down my throat as well like Hiryu stated, I can understand someone's commitment, and heart full dedication for something they believe in. I must say though, I’m impressed by your dedication, and saddened about the fact you’ll be leaving. I’d probably make a huge paper long speech here where some thing would be repeated if they weren’t so already, but I really don’t know how else to say what I’m thinking.

Questions:
What is the reason behind having to "pull a hermit"? What's the story?

And...

Are you sure you want to go through with this? If so, do you feel strongly that you will benefit with this?
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby Fievel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 pm

I never know what I might do. Perhaps I'll still be here in two years, probably not, as my interest in things is limited and this place seems to be dying a rather slow death, but who knows, while I am still disinterested and unconcerned with most things in my life, I have developed a sense of commitment, so I may still be here by that time. As an atheist, I have only met a couple of people who have given me hell for my beliefs, and as such, religion and I have never gone hand in hand, but that doesn't mean I don't understand the purpose and function of religion. I tend not to judge people on their beliefs... unless they're a Scientologist, but some people don't even count that as a religion. Anyways... you must do what you feel you have to, right? I can understand the convictions that a cause or a belief can give some people, and I respect your dedication and determination...

If I see you again, then I'll see you. If not, so be it. Either way, I hope you benefit from whatever you decide to do, and that that experience may help you in some way.

Also, how is this a joke?

Geez. I sure removed quite a few sentences from what I initially wrote...
Offended.

Postby Gigafist » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Good luck Blood Lord. *Salutes* May whatever god or gods you worship guide and protect you. It's going to be different without you here to scare off some of the newbloods that come here. Although I am a christian I'm quite open-minded about other religions, although I'm not quite sure if that counts as heresy or not, and I'm happy to say I'm not one of those christains who try to force feed you that your religion is wrong and mine is the true. You seem to believe in strongly in whatever it is that you believe in and I shall support you all the way whether you think of me as a friend or some really annoying person. May the Fates watch over you. This could probably use some editing.
Last edited by Gigafist on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fievel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 pm

He said he was Mormon. You know, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Offended.

Postby Gigafist » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 pm

>< I'm blind even when I wear glasses and sorry I have never heard of them.

Postby Guardian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Hiryu wrote:Ya know... For someone who uses Arthas has an avatar, you sure can be a panzy. :P

Ha Ha.

Hiryu wrote:Well, if you don't delete your FB page we'll still have a way of contacting you afterwards, right bro?

Lulz. I'll keep my FB page, I won't delete it. Got too many good people on it to allow that to happen.

Hiryu wrote:What is the reason behind having to "pull a hermit"? What's the story?

Do you mean "Why am I doing this?" or "Why does my church do this?".

Jasthn wrote:This isn't a joke. It really is sort of sad, no joke.

Hence the "kinda-funny-but-not-really" part, but I know.

Jasthn wrote:Although it will be empty to me in Snafu without someone as you in Snafu

That is one of the parts I hate about this.

Jasthn wrote:I’d probably make a huge paper long speech here where some thing would be repeated if they weren’t so already, but I really don’t know how else to say what I’m thinking.

When you find out, tell me. I'd like to hear... read it.

Jasthn wrote:Are you sure you want to go through with this? If so, do you feel strongly that you will benefit with this?

Well. I've considered the options. I'm going to lose two years of my life doing this. I could become a PA at the age of 24 if I don't, and 26 if I do go with this. So much will be missed. Family, friends...

There is something called faith. I don't speak of it in religious terms right here. I know faith to be "believing in something that you cannot know, but hope it is". This is what I think of going on a mission. If you talk to any LDS returned missionaries, who took at it with full heart, then the will al say "it was worth it" many I know have said it was "the best two years of my life".

I have no idea if I'll benefit from this, all I have is faith that it hopefully will, based on other's experiences.

Fievel wrote:Perhaps I'll still be here in two years, probably not

That is a shame then.

Fievel wrote:unless they're a Scientologist, but some people don't even count that as a religion.

I'm still trying to figure that out.

Fievel wrote:If I see you again, then I'll see you. If not, so be it.

Facebook?
We'll meet again. It will be a long time, but I'll recognize you. You might not know me at first, but you will.

Fievel wrote:Also, how is this a joke?

Its not, that's the joke.

Gigafist wrote:May whatever god or gods you worship guide and protect you.

I'm Christan.

Gigafist wrote:It's going to be different without you here to scare off some of the newbloods that come here.

Yes it will.

Gigafist wrote:May the Fates watch over you.

Same to you.

Gigafist wrote:I'm not one of those christains who try to force feed you that your religion is wrong and mine is the true.

Same.

As I said, it will be a few months until I go.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

Semper Vigilans

Postby Fievel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm

No point moping until then, in that case. As for Hiryu's question, I think it'd be simpler to respond to both, so as to avoid having the other asked upon the answering of one of them.

Blood Lord wrote:
Fievel wrote:unless they're a Scientologist, but some people don't even count that as a religion.

I'm still trying to figure that out.

I personally don't consider them as one, and a majority of my friends seem to agree, as does South Park, and a good portion of the internet.

Blood Lord wrote:
Fievel wrote:Perhaps I'll still be here in two years, probably not

That is a shame then.

That's just me being negative.
Offended.

Postby Guardian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Gigafist wrote:>< I'm blind even when I wear glasses and sorry I have never heard of them.

I could go into detail, but I'll just settle with we're a branch of Christianity.

Fievel wrote:That's just me being negative.

>:[

Don't be negative.

Semper Vigilans

Postby Fievel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Sorry, personal philosophy dictates that I must initially regard all occurrences in my life with negativity, apathy, or pragmatism, or a fusion of the two, which is the most common, so as to have a reasonable outlook on events. Don't ask me why I think that way, but the fact that I once explained to one of my friends that rainbows are depressing should be enough to explain how negative I can get when I want to be.
Offended.

Postby Tieaiel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:24 pm

A friend of mine recently took off for a mission trip, so like I told him, "Good luck, and God bless."
Although the lurking that normally occupies my time won't be nearly as much fun without your biting comments, it's nice to know that you believe in your religion so strongly. That's something sorely lacking in today's society, although how bad of a thing that is depends on who you ask...
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Postby nicomon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:04 am

I say that if you truly believe in what you are doing, then go for it.

(I want to say something else, but I can't think of anything to add onto it, for some reason.)

Postby Unlimited » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:07 am

It's a shame that you'll be gone for two years.
An individual such as yourself is quite rare here.
Setting things right, setting others in their places, all of that will be missed.

We'll miss you.

Except for some who has a grudge against you.
Not me.
Memento mori

Postby Tragedy_and_Comedy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 am

We'll miss you. But I'm happy for you. You're doing what you believe in.

I'll make sure the newbies use grammar while you're gone. I have my spray bottle
You... you really don't get it... do you? I... I love him... I'd die with him. Or for him. That's what you do... how you feel when you love someone. - Impulse

Postby Hiryu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:05 am

Blood Lord wrote:
Hiryu wrote:What is the reason behind having to "pull a hermit"? What's the story?
The religious story.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Doctress Who » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 am

I hope you do well with whatever you set out to do in life. Snafu's certainly not going to be the same without you. You're going to be missed...a lot. I hope to still be on here in two years time, but if not and our paths don't cross again, I'd like to say that it has been a real pleasure to (figuratively speaking) meet you.
I wish you all the best.
Hiryu: Doc's bag is a portal. She's actually from another dimension and when she jumped into it, she ended up at a desk with a browser open on this site. That's how she found it.
We have a Doctor Who thread now. Doctor Who threads are cool.
Time Lady

Postby numbuhAsharp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 am

Sorry to hear that man. No phone, no lights, no motorcar. Not a single luxury. Like Robinson Crusoe, it's as primitive as can be lol . But in all seriousness, you will be missed friend. :'(
I am the terror that flaps in the night. I'm the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus. I AM -SPLASH- ssoaked.

Postby top gear tony » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 pm

It's gonna suck with out you around here man. But you got to do what you got to do. When and if you come back you're throne will be just the way you left it. Out of all the vets your the most awesome. And good luck.

P.S You're still never be cooler than Morgan Freeman that guys a fucking legend.

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby Chocolate Hurricane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 pm

And nothing of value is lost.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Sucks to see you go BL.

I'm surprised about all of this in general, but if you want to do this with your life, I sure as hell can't stop you and I wouldn't anyway. Good luck with your mission and I hope you enjoy it.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Musicmac » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:24 am

Bai.
Be sure to visit Malaysia, they got good food here.
Listen.

Postby Guardian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Hiryu wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:
The religious story.

We believe that the Lord has declared missionary work to be performed by all who follow him. That means to go to all corners of the world and teach every people about the restoration of the Gospel. (Matthew 28:19–20, D&C 88:81)

This isn't a new idea either. We have several accounts within the Bible and the Book of Mormon that we are to be missionaries. After his resurrection, Christ told his disciples "go . . . and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19). The sons of Mosiah gave up their Kingdom in order to serve missions, which the did for most of their lives.

Nowadays we believe that this is one of the commandments of God and his son Jesus. In new revelation, he spoke "Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor". Missions to go and teach people that the Gospel has been restored, and about the plan of salvation. They are to go forth and give part of their lives to help complete the Lords work, which is to bring to pass the eternal life, and immortality of man. That they may know the ways to return to the Father.

We have some past examples of missionary work, but also recent commandments of missionary work within the Doctrine and Covenants, and restoration of it shown in the Book of Mormon, and Pearl of Great Price.
D&C Section 4 wrote: 1 Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.
2 Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
3 Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are acalled to the work;
4 For behold the afield is white already to bharvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in cstore that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;
5 And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.
6 Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.
7 Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.

The "marvelous work" he speaks of is Restoration of the Gospel, which has already happened.
The work is what I've already talked about: "For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Book of Moses 1:39)

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?i ... 82620aRCRD

There are a few things that must be done before an individual is authorized to go foth and teach on his (or her) mission. Although it is not viewed as a commandment for the women to go, they can if they want. There is no pressure on them to go forth, but there is pressure on the men to go forth.
Missions don't end after the two years either. When you get married, you can literally go on a mission again, but you don't preach the Gospel, but serve in the Temple.

Missions can also be viewed as life long missions. Not going to door to door to teach, but by being an example, a guild for those around you who seek the light. Missionary work also includes helping and supporting those who join the Church. As instructed by President Gordon B. Hinckley, each new member of the Church needs three things: a friend, a responsibility, and nurturing with "the good word of God". By being life-long missionaries, we can do that. A life long mission, different from a two year mission, is were you strive to be an example.
Matt 5: 14-16 wrote:14 Ye are the alight of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Semper Vigilans

Postby Princess » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 am

;_________; WHYYYYYYY

And actually, I've been thinking about leaving too. I'll still have facebook and stuff, but Snafu is definitely a distraction for me. I need to focus on getting a job and getting my shit together.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jasthn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:42 am

I require the facebooks of all you.

I might stay for a while longer. Probably won't leave Snafu anytime soon though.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Next

Return to EverAfter